• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Any big downsides for a curved monitor? My sister recently got one and I got to admit it felt a bit more immersive

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
I thought curved was dumb. Then I ended up buying a curved monitor out of need. I ended up liking it. It's not distracting, the curve is not super pronounced on my model.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I have a curved 34" ultrawide, I like it but I don't notice the curve 99% of the time because it's a very subtle curve.

I wouldn't buy one just for the curve but I wouldn't not buy one because it had the curve.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I have a curved 144hz monitor. To me, it isn't a game changer or deal breaker. If I could have gotten the same deal with a flat monitor, I'd probably go with that instead.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I have a curved 34" ultrawide, I like it but I don't notice the curve 99% of the time because it's a very subtle curve.

I wouldn't buy one just for the curve but I wouldn't not buy one because it had the curve.
i have the LG 34 curved. Its really nice.

I paired it with 1 24" 16x10 ratio Dell in portrait mode, and 1 27" dell 4k, Its essentially like having four monitors.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have one but I'm not against it. They say for big VA screens it helps with the viewing angle on the corners for the user. I tend to prefer IPS for PC though which makes that less relevant. I've seen a couple at stores and they look neat. It's not a dealbreaker either way. Seems like it would be nice for ultrawide.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Any big downsides for a curved monitor? My sister recently got one and I got to admit it felt a bit more immersive
For pc users it's definitely way better unless you are doing professional work or sharing your screen with another person often. For nearly every other type of pc user it's freaking awesome. On tvs stay away, I don't think they make many anymore anyway.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I wouldn't buy one, if you get sick of it or want to go dual monitor there's no way to uncurve it, and there's no problem with flat monitors really.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I have two curved 32 inch monitors and it is god-tier. Looks like I'm in a cockpit at times, haha.

Oct 25, 2017
Most ultrawides are curved, if it's not I don't think it's a big deal. Basically you are projecting an image on a flat plane but if the edges are further away you are effectively using a distorted projection. It also helps because screens tend to perform better when you look at them closer to perpendicular than at an angle.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Curved can look kinda stupid if you buy a 2nd or 3rd screen and upgrade to a multi-screen setup.
Also you might notice some slight distortion in apps that heavily rely on straight lines like Excel.

Other than those two points: buy whatever you're more comfortable with.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
It's really good for a monitor used only by one person. The limited sweet spot really hurts curved functionality in living rooms.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
I'd get a curved one depending on the size of both the monitor and how deep the desk is/monitor distance mounted, etc.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Curved ultrawide monitors make some sense to me in terms of size, viewing distance, and viewing angles. But they seem like a gimmick I'd personally avoid in a TV or any non-ultrawide monitor.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I noticed the curve on the first day I got my 34" ultrawide. I never really noticed it again and 2yrs later I wouldn't consider it a pro or con.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting a curved monitor (wasn't specifically looking for one, but the rest of the specs fit my needs) so I guess I'll find out in a few days haha.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ultrawide monitors and especially superultrawide monitors should be curved.

Almost every other type of monitor or television should be flat.

JiyuuTenshi

Oct 28, 2017
For an ultrawide or even super-ultrawide curved is absolutely essential, for regular 16:9 screens it's not really necessary, but still good I guess. Compared to TVs it makes a lot more sense for monitors as you're sitting alone right in front of it.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
For PC monitors curved can make sense as long as you don't plan to play local multiplayer on it.

Oct 30, 2017
I got a Dell 38 inch ultra wide during the pandemic. I love the monitor but I don't really notice the curve. I'd say it's a minor difference at best.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I will probably play my Series X at a desk, so I'll be looking at dedicated gaming monitors with HDMI 2.1 next year.

Curved does seem like it would be more immersive, and I'd have a flat monitor to pair with my laptop for work...

Ultratech

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it depends on your use cases and preferences.

Some are pretty slick, but they can get hella expensive.

Oct 26, 2017
Curved is nice, i probably wouldn't recommend doing photo editing or anything like that on them, but for media consumption they're great

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
If you do design work that needs to see straight lines then it's pain in the ass, otherwise I find it more immersive.

Seraph84

Banned
May 27, 2020
NYC
I made the jump to a curved 34-inch ultrawide (3440 x 1440) display about a year and a half ago, and now that I've experienced gaming on this I don't think I could ever go back. Here's my monitor, it's an Acer and it's now $150 cheaper now than it was when I first bought it. Just be aware you'll also want a very powerful GPU to run it at its native resolution. I have an RTX 2080, for reference.

Here's a good article about some of the benefits from Newegg: https://www.newegg.com/insider/curved-monitors-for-gaming-and-workstations/

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I had a curved 30 something inch 16:9 samsung and the curve was too aggressive and I felt motion sick looking at it. Then I got a curved 34 ultrawide, and that's the way to go. Love it. On an ultrawide, the curve is much more subtle, yet really effective.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I use a super-ultrawide curved at home and a bank of 3 curved ultrawides (in a 1-2 triangle) for work. No complaints, really. Two curved side-by-side actually seems to work a lot better than two flats side-by-side.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
I actually used a curved monitor (32in) for an extend session for the first time today, and definitely didn't love it. The curve was somewhat distracting and uncomfortable, and really didn't bring anything.

That said, I'd love to try an ultrawide with a subtle curve.

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
It's really good for a monitor used only by one person. The limited sweet spot really hurts curved functionality in living rooms.

Yeah this is my take. I thought curved was not great for TV viewing as not everyone is dead centre. For monitors though, I like it.

Do they even sell curved TV's now? Looks like it died really quick.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I have a 27" MSI curved monitor, and honestly, the curve doesn't add much to the experience.

Maybe it just isn't curved and/or wide enough?

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017