• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
While the "Mo'nique who?" posts do come by as drive-by posts, they do serve a point in this discussion. It shows that a lot of people don't know who Mo'nique is. If the thread was about any of the other artists she mentioned (Chappelle, Ellen, Schumer, etc), the reception would be different. She is not as well-known as those other artists to a younger and international audience, so she isn't as valuable as them. It's pretty simple to understand. And some of you need to remove your US-centric glasses, the majority of Netflix's audience is international.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Who? Mostly happens in Black threads. I never seen "who" run rampant in any other threads.

And Monique seriously has a case, she should be throwing body shots though instead of haymakers. DeRay is weak, and I couldn't go past 15 min of that Chris Tucker special and she's funnier than both of them on stand up. $500k is too low.
It should also be pointed out that Mo'Nique is a modern meme queen and a lot of people don't even know it.

I see so many people (even white people) using "The ___________ jumped out," and "See, when you do clownery...sometimes, the clown comes back to bite" and not even know that was Mo. And those are just the two that immediately spring to mind

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
Can't get too mad at her logic given they gave DeRay Davis 5 million and I would argue they are the same level of 'nobody.'

Given that, this is going to be the end of her career.

Oct 27, 2017
Ive seen Mo'nique's work, I think shes funny, but no way is she as valuable or have as much pull as someone like Dave Chappelle has. Im sure thats exactly what netflix will argue in court.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
Who? Mostly happens in Black threads. I never seen "who" run rampant in any other threads.

And Monique seriously has a case, she should be throwing body shots though instead of haymakers. DeRay is weak, and I couldn't go past 15 min of that Chris Tucker special and she's funnier than both of them on stand up. $500k is too low.

Yeah, something was seriously off about that $500k offer. The fact that they paid Deray David $5 million dollars is baffling, and whether they negotiated that up or not from a lower offer, $5 million was paid out to a middling stand up comedian who main audience is black males. And I'd argue that Monique would have pulled several times the number of viewers than the Deray Davis comedy specials. Take Precious for example, even though that wasn't comedy related, Monique freaking carried that movie on her shoulders all the way to an Oscar. That alone would have reasonably demanded a few million.

Yes, she makes terrible and irrational business decisions, but I hate to see people pretend like she isn't on to something. While I doubt she wins anything substantial out of this suit, I applaud her efforts to stand up for herself and not be walked over. I'm also really shocked at the energy in this thread, as progressive as ERA supposedly is, this thread reeks of anti-blackness.

Last edited:

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
While the "Mo'nique who?" posts do come by as drive-by posts, they do serve a point in this discussion. It shows that a lot of people don't know who Mo'nique is. If the thread was about any of the other artists she mentioned (Chappelle, Ellen, Schumer, etc), the reception would be different. She is not as well-known as those other artists to a younger and international audience, so she isn't as valuable as them. It's pretty simple to understand. And some of you need to remove your US-centric glasses, the majority of Netflix's audience is international.
They don't serve a point, as they drop and peace out. She is a black icon, and Netflix knew what they wanted when they asked her. They wanted someone that would appeal to black audiences. Should she get as much as Chappelle, I highly doubt that. More than 500k, for damn sure. Hell freakin Wanda Sykes was offered even less, and she's more well known outside of the US. And if someone like DeRay Davis is given 5mil, something is seriously wrong. Especially when he comes nowhere near as close to Mo'nique in career.

Skyejack

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Can't get too mad at her logic given they gave DeRay Davis 5 million and I would argue they are the same level of 'nobody.'

Do we know if Netflix flatly offered Davis 5 million or if his management team actually took the time to negotiate it?

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It should also be pointed out that Mo'Nique is a modern meme queen and a lot of people don't even know it.

I see so many people (even white people) using "The ___________ jumped out," and "See, when you do clownery...sometimes, the clown comes back to bite" and not even know that was Mo. And those are just the two that immediately spring to mind
Yeeeah you are right, I forgot about Charm School. Flavor of Luv was popular as hell so on top of her prior work she had mainstream exposure with VH-1 at the height of the reality TV era. NF needs to put more respek on her name.

Last edited:

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

Her Google trends show she is far less popular than the comedians who got paid more than her

not to mention she appears in on screen media and hits far less than others she is comparing to

and nah, the "Who?" thing happens in tons of YouTuber, pop singer, etc threads

Skyejack

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Doubt he negotiated up from 500k.
Face it, she was lowballed.

Netflix has a history of lowballing female comics. She deserved more than 500k.
Not arguing that she deserved more. Her argument is she deserved Rock/Chappelle money. She's out of her mind. But what makes it worse is she didn't negotiate. She needs(needed) real management. Now it's probably too late for her given all the other bullshit she brought upon herself.

moriquendi

Oct 27, 2017
Do white people really not know who Mo'nique is or do y'all really just like acting ignorant?

I don't think her specials would be close to what Chappelle's are worth but she is also making a fight that nobody is willing or able to make so its hard for me to hate on her.

And this isnt about Netflix not giving people of color and chance but do they value the worth of black women? Yes, they give black women shows but are they getting paid at a rate similar to their male or white counterparts? That I think is something worth looking into.

I've heard the name, but wouldn't have been able to identify her without having searched it. However in my case that's pretty much meaningless. Outside very big names I really don't know any comedians. It sounds like she may not have wide name recognition, but would have strong name recognition to a good number of people. I can see her not getting as much money as people with widespread name recognition but it feels like someone with a built in fan base might be worth more then $500,000.

Last edited:

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
DeRay Davis never had a career and got 5 mil.

Matter of fact I hope Monique uses the DeRay Davis defense, should be an easy win.
Has this number ever been confirmed by Netflix? For all we know, this could have been the budget for his comedy special and not actually his payout.

She's a wrong example of a real problem.
Agreed, 100%. There's a reason why she has only appeared in a handful of projects since her Oscar win. If this was Wanda Sykes or Tiffany Haddish or literally anyone else i'd be all for it but i'm not going to be as supportive because it's Mo'Nique.

trineo_feo

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how is this relevant to my post. But I'll bite: Netflix doesn't curate content based on a worldwide audience. In fact, Netflix in other regions is missing content we have here for various reasons. I'm commenting on the dismissal of Monique in this thread by Era members, not what Netflix is deciding on (which I don't really have an issue with what they did in her case). Monique's situation is a bit more complex than most people realized, because again, they don't care. They just wanted to come in the thread to shit on her without knowing what's really going on here (and not even bothering to read up on her past).
Have you considered that those era members might not be American? My point still stands.
And I don't know where you get that they don't care about worldwide audience for their original content. They clearly do considering many of their top watched shows in the world are not actually made in America.

Oct 25, 2017
Did Netflix kind of create this problem themselves when they splashed the pot so much on comedy specials?

Like I think Mo'nique is out of her mind with this argument she's "worth" as much as the Chapelle's and Seinfeld's of the world but back like 5-10 years ago no one was paying this kind of money for comedy specials.

Now you kind of open yourself up to people complaining they're not getting paid like the top tier even though the strategy seemed to be to corner the market by getting the big fish at all costs, even if they were financial losses.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's more likely that Netflix was, "She got herself blackballed from Hollywood, so she has no leverage and we can lowball her."

Not that I think she would've been offered Chris Rock/Ellen money regardless.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado

I'm quite familiar with Mo'nique, and have no idea who DeRay Davis is.

I think it's pretty hard to deny the general fact that Hollywood discriminates against women in comedy in general, and black women in particular. Maybe in this particular case it's just a case of cold hard numbers, but I'd imagine if that were the case, Netflix would have the receipts to prove it.

Even then, their offer would just be a symptom of the larger problem that black women in comedy have been so devalued by the industry that they just don't have the same drawing power they could otherwise.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Here's where I stand with Mo.

She's a Black comedy icon. Point blank, full stop. If you don't know this, you're only telling on yourself. Go do some homework. Don't disrespect the greats.

That said...Mo is a black comedian. She makes comedy for Black American audiences, and unapologetically so. THAT means that, when the time came, she DIDN'T do what Steve Harvey did, or what Wanda Sykes did, or what Dave Chappell did: she didn't cross over to white audiences. And no disrespect to those Black comedians who chose to do that, but people who made that choice shouldn't be shitting on Mo because she made the Choice not to.

That's why I'm of two sides in this. I don't fault Mo for asking for more, she SHOULD have. She's a name regardless of what she's done recently, and I know for damn sure that a comeback special would have had every kid who grew up on The Parker's (and are now in their 30s), and all the aunties who know her standup tuning the fuck in. And I don't know how many times black audiences have to show up with our money before our-of-touch execs learn that if you give us content, we'll consume it.

But Dave Chappelle money? Eh....I dunno about THAT, sis. But definitely more than 500k.

I agree with this and will add: There's a way you go about getting that money. Sometimes it's crushing a special on a competitors platform and coming back for round two with proven metrics. Sometimes it's going the independent route.

But just ensuring no company will risk rocking with you again by trashing them publicly? Pfffft. What a way to torpedo your career. She could have flipped all the controversy last time into a special.... Just sat on it and now wants to sue? G'luck sis.

All that talent and charisma radiating off her, and year after year she sabotages herself in almost absurd, unfathomable ways. It's like watching someone stab themselves with a fork for no obvious reason.

Yea, I don't get it to be honest.

Last edited:

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I just want Mo'Nique to win something. Again. But I don't think this Netflix suit is going to be it.

She is a fascinating figure. She famously won the Academy Award while sparring with Lee Daniels and the producers of "Precious" because she refused to do certain promotions for the movie. Wouldn't lobby the Academy for her own award. Winning an Oscar without running a full-court campaign wooing the Academy is practically impossible. Yet, despite all that, she won.That's how brilliant her performance was. All that talent and charisma radiating off her, and year after year she sabotages herself in almost absurd, unfathomable ways. It's like watching someone stab themselves with a fork for no obvious reason.

If the stories of her husband/manager are true, then it seems like she's committed to upholding the Potemkin fantasy that this dude is a sage manager and not an incompetent fool. She is really living that lie to the utmost. She has agency over her life, so I guess that's what she's chosen to do: preserve her marriage and her husband's ego while slashing up her career from the inside.

Do we know if Netflix flatly offered Davis 5 million or if his management team actually took the time to negotiate it?

Do we even know if Netflix actually paid Davis 5M? Back when he posted that, wasn't it received as a joke? Now, that DeRay Davis post is taken as fact? How did that happen?

I hope this suit progresses to the point where important facts like what did Netflix pay DeRay Davis get unearthed.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Her Google trends show she is far less popular than the comedians who got paid more than her

not to mention she appears in on screen media and hits far less than others she is comparing to

and nah, the "Who?" thing happens in tons of YouTuber, pop singer, etc threads
I have no clue how popular Black comedians are in the White community but to put Chris Tucker and Deray over her in the mid 2010s??? Tucker's prime was nearly two decades ago and he hasn't done much since.

DeRay? Lol. I hate to diss Black folks making money but when I saw DeRay had a stand-up I wondered "what inroads with the White community has DeRay made to get a special on Netflix??". Giving him $5M, the man must have a god-tier agent lol. If DeRay were a Black woman with the same resume there's no way in hell she'd see that money lol.

I feel like a hypothetical Monique standup would have definitely gotten more views within the Black community at the very least. She's in a tough spot since she burnt bridges in the past.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
I didn't know who Deray Davis was, so before opening my mouth only to sound foolish I went and looked him up. Via Google. Paid no fees, info poured forth freely. Technology, sure is wonderful.

And yeah, I've seen this guy in stuff. But that he got 5 mil? Really? That CANT be right

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
I didn't know who Deray Davis was, so before opening my mouth only to sound foolish I went and looked him up. Via Google. Paid no fees, info poured forth freely. Technology, sure is wonderful.

And yeah, I've seen this guy in stuff. But that he got 5 mil? Really? That CANT be right
What is this thing called googling people I don't know?

Nah, it's easier to drop a Who? and never post in the thread again. Why even enter the thread?

Real talk, it should be treated as a +1 post and punished accordingly.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt she has a case, she just hasn't really been a significant pop culture figure for years and it seems absurd to put her on the same level as the other comedians who are household names. I would like her to succeed but I doubt she will

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wow. My mind is blown. Thank you for your vital research and science.
Thank you for adding so much to the conversation in your only post in the thread instead of reading my full post and trying to understand what I was trying to say. You managed to add even less to the conversation than all those "who?" posts and that's quite the achievement.

Jehuty

Oct 25, 2017
If Netflix did indeed give Deray Davis 5 million for his special then more power to him. What does he have to do with Mo'Nique? We don't know why Netflix gave him 5 Million. It could be that he had a great management team that knows how to sell his act or that he has friends in the industry that vouched for him. No one knows how he got the bag. But this isn't some rare thing. Often in the entertainment business you will you see lesser acts get paid then more critically acclaimed acts. For my money Hannibal Buress is funnier than Russell Peters, Guess who people like more? Guess who makes more?

Just face it, Mo'Nique is not a likable person which actively detracts on her power to demand the highest payout possible. Steve Harvey is super corny but he is extremely likable, hence why companies keep throwing money at him. Chapelle is controversial at times but the general population absolutely cherishes him, that in turn allows him to get top dollar for his specials. Amy Chumer is lame and not funny at all but people still like her. Tiffany Haddish isn't funny or anything either, but she still got the bag. Why? Because she isn't actively throwing off negative vibes and is smart enough to be on friendly terms with one of the biggest acts in comedy. Mo'nique does none of those things.

Mo'niques management team is horrible (just watch the breakfast club interview) and her woe is me attitude (and me against literally everyone) is making her no friends (or money for that matter).

There is a argument to be had that Women comedians, artist, singers, entertainers, athletes have it way harder than their male counterparts. Mo'Nique not getting the bag may have some of that involved (because she is a women), but the vast majority of her not getting any payout or being smart about the original offer and negotiating her way up to something more is entirely on her and her crappy attitude.

Str0ngStyle

Oct 28, 2017
This is Netflix. The company that flat out said it wasn't in 'truth to power business'. If they thought Mo'nique would get them more views/headlines/subscriptions they would have paid her more. They don't give a shit about a comedians 'comedy legend 'status if they don't have the data to back up that the views would follow their investment.

I said this the last time this topic came up. I loved watching the Parkers growing up and Mo'nique is a GREAT comedian but Netflix/the Entertainment industry isn't a meritocracy. Not hating on her for shooting her shot and trying to get the bag she think she deserves though.

When this first popped off, Katt Williams said basically the same thing. Netflix goes solely on data and ticket sales when it comes to stand up. What did your last tour/special do? They base your pay around that.

Is she right on black women getting the shaft in Hollywood when it comes to.... everything? Absolutely correct. But did Netflix discriminate against her? Doubtful. And that's what is sad. She has been in the game for years but she sunk her own ship and doesn't want to rebuild it. She should have taken the money, fucking killed that shit, and when they come back around for the sequel, then you get your bag.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
If Netflix did indeed give Deray Davis 5 million for his special then more power to him. What does he have to do with Mo'Nique? We don't know why Netflix gave him 5 Million. It could be that he had a great management team that knows how to sell his act or that he has friends in the industry that vouched for him. No one knows how he got the bag. But this isn't some rare thing. Often in the entertainment business you will you see lesser acts get paid then more critically acclaimed acts. For my money Hannibal Buress is funnier than Russell Peters, Guess who people like more? Guess who makes more?

Just face it, Mo'Nique is not a likable person which actively detracts on her power to demand the highest payout possible. Steve Harvey is super corny but he is extremely likable, hence why companies keep throwing money at him. Chapelle is controversial at times but the general population absolutely cherishes him, that in turn allows him to get top dollar for his specials. Amy Chumer is lame and not funny at all but people still like her. Tiffany Haddish isn't funny or anything either, but she still got the bag. Why? Because she isn't actively throwing off negative vibes and is smart enough to be on friendly terms with one of the biggest acts in comedy. Mo'nique does none of those things.

Mo'niques management team is horrible (just watch the breakfast club interview) and her woe is me attitude (and me against literally everyone) is making her no friends (or money for that matter).

There is a argument to be had that Women comedians, artist, singers, entertainers, athletes have it way harder than their male counterparts. Mo'Nique not getting the bag may have some of that involved (because she is a women), but the vast majority of her not getting any payout or being smart about the original offer and negotiating her way up to something more is entirely on her and her crappy attitude.
You're putting the cart before the horse here.
Let's be clear, Mo'Nique being "difficult" behind the scenes on Precious was only industry chatter. The public didn't give a shit. Black folks celebrated her Oscar win knowing nothing about the okie doke happening behind the scenes. They celebrated it because....black folk LOVE Mo'Nique. Always have.

So the idea that Mo has always been this unlikable person doesn't really pan out. Not with her audience.

Her reputation of being bitter and "unlikable" is really stemming from THIS situation where she's demanding what she thinks she's worth. And yeah, here's where I absolutely agree that her husbandger is doing her NO favors.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, I'm wondering if the deray davis thing has been confirmed by anyone besides deray davis. I had to Google him because I had no idea who he was.

If he did indeed get paid that much then Netflix has some explaining to do.

Jehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Let's be clear, Mo'Nique being "difficult" behind the scenes on Precious was only industry chatter. The public didn't give a shit. Black folks celebrated her Oscar win knowing nothing about the okie doke happening behind the scenes. They celebrated it because....black folk LOVE Mo'Nique. Always have.

So the idea that Mo has always been this unlikable person doesn't really pan out. Not with her audience.

Her reputation of being bitter and "unlikable" is really stemming from THIS situation where she's demanding what she thinks she's worth. And yeah, here's where I absolutely agree that her husbandger is doing her NO favors.

But that's what i'm saying. This whole episode of hers is making people believe this is the real Mo'Nique. Difficult to work with, bitter, stubborn, and all of the above. The entire time I watched the Breakfast club interview it was coming off just how unlikable she is. She made Charlemagne seem reasonable, Charlemagne, think about that. Then her husband is a moron who overplayed the hand and screwed them both. She has no choice but to stick with him now because she is not a humble person. She doesn't have it in her to admit she make a mistake and should have handled the situation in a different manner.

Fact is, her husband gave her terrible advice and they over played their hand. They thought that the black entertainment community would ride with her but its self evident that most don't mess with her like that and they said nah brah. Mo'nique then went on her bitter tour trying to check all the black entertainers she felt should have had her back. When that didn't work, and the boycott didn't work (because black people are not a monolith), she is now saying race and gender is the reason she flubbed getting the bag.

I have no sympathy for her or her husband. They had multiple opportunities to fall back, re-access what they were doing, and come up with a better course of action. They didn't and so they are reaping what they have sowed.

Oct 26, 2017
"Who?" happens everywhere all the time. It's annoying, and I blame Guardians of the Galaxy for it's rise. It's hard to tell when people do it to be "funny" and when they genuinely don't know someone.

But that's what i'm saying. This whole episode of hers is making people believe this is the real Mo'Nique. Difficult to work with, bitter, stubborn, and all of the above. The entire time I watched the Breakfast club interview it was coming off just how unlikable she is. She made Charlemagne seem reasonable, Charlemagne, think about that. Then her husband is a moron who overplayed the hand and screwed them both. She has no choice but to stick with him now because she is not a humble person. She doesn't have it in her to admit she made a mistake and should have handled the situation in a different manner.

Fact is, her husband gave her terrible advice and they over played their hand. They thought that the black entertainment community would ride with her but its self evident that most don't mess with her like that and they said nah brah. Mo'nique then went on her bitter tour trying to check all the black entertainers she felt should have had her back. When that didn't work, and the boycott didn't work (because black people are not a monolith), she is now saying race and gender is the reason she flubbed getting the bag.

I have no sympathy for her or her husband. They had multiple opportunities to fall back, re-access what they were doing, and come up with a better course of action. They didn't and so they are reaping what they have sowed.
I was just about to post some clips from The Breakfast Club. I'd honestly not heard about her supposedly being difficult to work with, and most of my exposure of her outside film has been from the beef back-and-forth with Charlamagne.

mercenar1e

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
the last time i heard her name it was the early 2000's

Netflix should have paid her less than $500,000

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
her lawyers taking her for a ride, right?
i think "who" posts are relevant here, she's dropping names. i don't think they're right - she's known. she's got one name ffs, she passes the one name test.

OP
OP
Syriel

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Netflix does plenty of niche content that they're willing to shell out money for. I'm willing to bet that Mo'Nique's comedy special would have brought in more that that odd Marvel niche binge they were on for a while. To say that Mo'Nique isn't worth 500k is...a stretch. She gets paid more than that to do movies.

If you believe Mo'nique, the leads in her last film, Almost Christmas, got less than $1 million combined.

And no one's really dropping dollars to see her content. Her specials on Amazon didn't take off, and she's not out there on your filling up venues.

The number has a single source.

Doubt he negotiated up from 500k.
Face it, she was lowballed.

Netflix has a history of lowballing female comics. She deserved more than 500k.

Netflix is known for paying more than other outlets for comedy specials. It's part of the reason they have so many.

Has this number ever been confirmed by Netflix? For all we know, this could have been the budget for his comedy special and not actually his payout.

Agreed, 100%. There's a reason why she has only appeared in a handful of projects since her Oscar win. If this was Wanda Sykes or Tiffany Haddish or literally anyone else i'd be all for it but i'm not going to be as supportive because it's Mo'Nique.

Haddish negotiated her specials before Mo'nique. She said she didn't get "legend" money, but implied she still got paid well.

I'm quite familiar with Mo'nique, and have no idea who DeRay Davis is.

I think it's pretty hard to deny the general fact that Hollywood discriminates against women in comedy in general, and black women in particular. Maybe in this particular case it's just a case of cold hard numbers, but I'd imagine if that were the case, Netflix would have the receipts to prove it.

Even then, their offer would just be a symptom of the larger problem that black women in comedy have been so devalued by the industry that they just don't have the same drawing power they could otherwise.

Netflix is all about data. Data drives nearly everything. If you're selling out tours and your last special blew up or you're headlining movies, you'll get a bigger offer.

I just want Mo'Nique to win something. Again. But I don't think this Netflix suit is going to be it.

She is a fascinating figure. She famously won the Academy Award while sparring with Lee Daniels and the producers of "Precious" because she refused to do certain promotions for the movie. Wouldn't lobby the Academy for her own award. Winning an Oscar without running a full-court campaign wooing the Academy is practically impossible. Yet, despite all that, she won.That's how brilliant her performance was. All that talent and charisma radiating off her, and year after year she sabotages herself in almost absurd, unfathomable ways. It's like watching someone stab themselves with a fork for no obvious reason.

If the stories of her husband/manager are true, then it seems like she's committed to upholding the Potemkin fantasy that this dude is a sage manager and not an incompetent fool. She is really living that lie to the utmost. She has agency over her life, so I guess that's what she's chosen to do: preserve her marriage and her husband's ego while slashing up her career from the inside.

It wasn't just Precious. More recently Will Packer pushed to have her in Almost Christmas because he didn't believe the rumors. Then he found out the street wasn't lying. Jump to the 25 min mark of the video I linked earlier in the thread.

After filming Mo'nique said Packer was like Harvey Weinstein because he didn't give in to all her demands.

I have no clue how popular Black comedians are in the White community but to put Chris Tucker and Deray over her in the mid 2010s??? Tucker's prime was nearly two decades ago and he hasn't done much since.

Chris Tucker is still actively touring and putting butts in seats across the country.

Not just Precious. She made sure people knew she was difficult after Almost Christmas.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
Netflix is all about data. Data drives nearly everything. If you're selling out tours and your last special blew up or you're headlining movies, you'll get a bigger offer.

If Netflix can prove that the offer she received was both A) based on actual market data and B) fell in line with how that market data drove other offers, then they'll likely have little to worry about, but as I said I think that really just demonstrates a larger problem of women of color being devalued in the comedic space within the industry. In other words, they're not promoted as heavily as men, or even white women, they're never really marketed outside of being a niche for other women of color, and then when their numbers aren't great, those numbers are used to justify lowball offers.

It's kind of like Marvel not making any female-centric superhero movies for an entire decade and then using the 'fact' that "women superheroes don't sell" as an excuse not to make movies featuring women. It's really warped logic that mostly just exposes underlying prejudices.

It could be that Mo'nique is just hard to work with (I'm not at all familiar with that story outside what you've provided in this thread), but even if that's true in this case I don't think it eliminates the broader argument that she's making. Maybe she's not the best person to make that argument, I don't know, but it's an argument that needs to be made imo. Some of the funniest fucking people I've ever seen perform are women of color but good luck trying to find their stuff amidst the sea of white dudes who want to complain about how their wives nag them all the time (lol amirite dudes huehuehue COMEDY! /s)

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I have no clue how popular Black comedians are in the White community but to put Chris Tucker over her in the mid 2010s??? Tucker's prime was nearly two decades ago and he hasn't done much since.

Its hard to argue as far as mass appeal/name recognition goes that Chris Tucker wasn't a bigger draw than Mo'Nique in the mid 2010's. Tucker had the same cross over appeal as Chappelle where he was in a bunch of iconic/cult classic/successful roles ( Friday, The Fifth Element, Jackie Brown and the Rush Hour Trilogy) before he suddenly retired on top. People still constantly meme Smokey on the internet, cosplay as Ruby Rhod, film twitters favorite Tarantino movie is Jackie Brown and the Rush hr movies made an insane amount of money. Most importantly all of those movies are streaming on Netflix in some region so they have the numbers to back up their offer.

I was too young in the 90's to watch any of Mo'nique's stand-up but none of the iconic stuff that I watched her in( Moesha,The Parkers,Two Can Play That Game,Soul Plane ect) ever crossed over in a big way or are they streaming anywhere really.

Post Oscar was Mo'nique's chance to "crossover" but due to weird management decisions/Hollywood being petty she got blackballed and disappeared for 5 years.

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why enter a thread you have no clue whom the person is just to say "Who?" I think her lawsuit is ridiculous, but so is this "who?" shit. Google is a fucking thing.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't just Precious. More recently Will Packer pushed to have her in Almost Christmas because he didn't believe the rumors. Then he found out the street wasn't lying. Jump to the 25 min mark of the video I linked earlier in the thread.

After filming Mo'nique said Packer was like Harvey Weinstein because he didn't give in to all her demands.

Yeah, I saw the video a couple years back. Like I said, she sabotages herself repeatedly. With what she had going for herself originally, it's amazing how she burns every bridge and turns people who want to champion her into adversaries. Takes a certain discipline and commitment to undermine yourself so diligently.

edited to add: Last time Mo'Nique came up on these boards, I learned that she'd been molested by a family member all through childhood, and the news of it came out to the public - at least in part - in a really exploitative way on the Oprah Winfrey show. For all the mess ups in her career, Mo'Nique has ultimately only really hurt herself. So, I root for her to do better for herself.

Last edited: