• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
It's strange to me the particular types of threads that inspire people to enter them and boldly proclaim their ignorance of the subject.

Bing is a click away, y'all.

This is probably not the place to have this conversation, by why is that kind of drive by even allowed. It's disrespectful when we can all just do a quick search to find out who a person is rather than come in and add nothing to the thread?

Back on topic. I personally don't think she's got a case. Yes shes got her Oscar, but she's not a draw. Hell, Cuba Gooding has an Oscar but I doubt he's getting will Smith money. On top of that, wouldn't this be considered like a gig agreement? Like Netflix offered her x money. If she doesn't like the number she can try to negotiate but if they don't want to go to her number they can say no and move on just like she could say no and move on to an offer she doesn't like?

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
This is likely more of a Mo'nique thing than a race thing.

Netflix has no problem hiring women of color as showrunners, or featuring shows starring women of color.

As for comedy specials, we know Mo'nique didn't sign, but Tiffany Haddish got a deal last year for multiple specials. One, where she highlights six other comedians of her choice is already out. Another is hitting Netflix in December. And Leslie Jones has a Netflix special scheduled for next year.

Can she go one week without starting something?

^. Between Netflix's other multi million dollar deals with Black Women, Mo'nique having issues with/attacking Oprah, Tyler Perry, and Lee Daniels for "black balling" her, and these two things being the only reasons I've heard anything about Mo'nique since Precious and it becomes difficult to take Mo'nique's claims of discrimination seriously vs the issue being with her as a person.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah...this ain't it Monique.
i support black women demanding more, good on her - hope she gets the bag, one way or another

lot of y'all just showing your ass on the "WHO?" comments here
I Support Black Woman als well....but that doesn't mean you are gonna get Chappelle or Chris Rock money, that's just not realistic.

Also always playing the victim card isn't a good look and doesn't help the overall cause.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
Mo is trippin, but if I see one more post say "who" I'm going to lose my mind. I know people don't pay attention to black comedians, but damn I feel she was all over the 90s/early 00s.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Here's where I stand with Mo.

She's a Black comedy icon. Point blank, full stop. If you don't know this, you're only telling on yourself. Go do some homework. Don't disrespect the greats.

That said...Mo is a black comedian. She makes comedy for Black American audiences, and unapologetically so. THAT means that, when the time came, she DIDN'T do what Steve Harvey did, or what Wanda Sykes did, or what Dave Chappell did: she didn't cross over to white audiences. And no disrespect to those Black comedians who chose to do that, but people who made that choice shouldn't be shitting on Mo because she made the Choice not to.

That's why I'm of two sides in this. I don't fault Mo for asking for more, she SHOULD have. She's a name regardless of what she's done recently, and I know for damn sure that a comeback special would have had every kid who grew up on The Parker's (and are now in their 30s), and all the aunties who know her standup tuning the fuck in. And I don't know how many times black audiences have to show up with our money before our-of-touch execs learn that if you give us content, we'll consume it.

But Dave Chappelle money? Eh....I dunno about THAT, sis. But definitely more than 500k.

Babymomo

Aug 14, 2019
ERA really, truly hates woman of color doesn't it?? ESPECIALLY Black women :/ I'm sick of being on here.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
For the people that are still saying who. It's like the 5th page now, take the few seconds to read. It's not hard.

Well they get ranked on my UK Netflix and tell me if its the most watched thing on Netflix UK. They must care enough if they are keeping their subscribers engaged and willing to keep paying.
...that's an algo tho. So it's not really netflix caring about you. You can look at alot of the comedians and can tell they are geared for mostly American tastes. Only a handful of them have worldwide acclaim.

Last edited:

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on what you call "high", but yes, vastly higher than Monique.
I know a bunch of people who watched the Chappelle special, and while I don't know anyone who likes Schumer, they know her.
EDIT: Chappelle used to be on German TV, and I might be wrong, but I don't think Mo'nique was, at least not in a similar capacity.

That's interesting. I was assuming her being an oscar winner would provide her slightly more recognition than Chappelle (prior to his big Netflix deal). Thanks for the info.

I'm australian, not Austrian but I can say that Chappelle, Rock, Burr, Seinfeld have all done big shows in my shithole city. Schumer was supposed to do one as well but cancelled for health reasons. If Mo'nique was to do a show here I'd probably go.

Sorry, my mistake. That's my anglophone bias at work. I was considering anything outside of the English speaking world/media as being "international". Really poor form on my part.

Slash Ess

Nov 5, 2017
If DeRay Davis, who I'd argue is less known than Mo'nique, can get 10 times her pay, I'd say she has a case

Again, posts like 'Who?' should be bannable

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Some of these content deals are so that Netflix can get people to retain their subscriptions by providing new content. They aren't expecting an increase in profits. Then there are other content deals that Netflix makes because they know people are more likely to sign up for the service to watch it, even if it's just for a month. No disrespect to Monique but it might that she's not a big enough draw to get alot of people subscribing.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Some of these content deals are so that Netflix can get people to retain their subscriptions by providing new content. They aren't expecting an increase in profits. Then there are other content deals that Netflix makes because they know people are more likely to sign up for the service to watch it, even if it's just for a month. No disrespect to Monique but it might that she's not a big enough draw to get alot of people subscribing.
Explain DeRay Davis. Then explain that Wanda Sykes offer.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Sorry, my mistake. That's my anglophone bias at work. I was considering anything outside of the English speaking world/media as being "international". Really poor form on my part.
I was curious, so I googled a bit:

Sure, this is a while ago, but for that tour, she was in Norway, the Netherlands, Denmark and Sweden.
I know this is getting a bit off topic, but loads of countries actively consume English language media these days.
I'm sure it's not AS important, but I'm sure the international market isn't being fully ignored when considering paying for specials.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, this is a while ago, but for that tour, she was in Norway, the Netherlands, Denmark and Sweden.
I know this is getting a bit off topic, but loads of countries actively consume English language media these days.

Fair point, and don't get me wrong - I don't mean to say they don't. As for Schumer specifically, I feel her content is more accessible for white audiences (putting aside her movie career/recognition from there) hence why she can tour Europe. Which I think some of the disconnect is coming down to in this thread (hence the other posters jumping in with their cute "who" posts).

She's a Black comedy icon. Point blank, full stop. If you don't know this, you're only telling on yourself. Go do some homework. Don't disrespect the greats.

That said...Mo is a black comedian. She makes comedy for Black American audiences, and unapologetically so. THAT means that, when the time came, she DIDN'T do what Steve Harvey did, or what Wanda Sykes did, or what Dave Chappell did: she didn't cross over to white audiences. And no disrespect to those Black comedians who chose to do that, but people who made that choice shouldn't be shitting on Mo because she made the Choice not to.

That's why I'm of two sides in this. I don't fault Mo for asking for more, she SHOULD have. She's a name regardless of what she's done recently, and I know for damn sure that a comeback special would have had every kid who grew up on The Parker's (and are now in their 30s), and all the aunties who know her standup tuning the fuck in. And I don't know how many times black audiences have to show up with our money before our-of-touch execs learn that if you give us content, we'll consume it.

But Dave Chappelle money? Eh....I dunno about THAT, sis. But definitely more than 500k.

Great points. And I feel Netflix knows this. They weren't coming to her for the posters chiming in with their lack of awareness/knowledge. Completely unfounded take on my part - Netflix is actively going after Black viewers at the moment and she was a piece of that strategy.

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do white people really not know who Mo'nique is or do y'all really just like acting ignorant?

I don't think her specials would be close to what Chappelle's are worth but she is also making a fight that nobody is willing or able to make so its hard for me to hate on her.

And this isnt about Netflix not giving people of color and chance but do they value the worth of black women? Yes, they give black women shows but are they getting paid at a rate similar to their male or white counterparts? That I think is something worth looking into.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Wait why didn't she put anything out when this was all going down last year? If she had put out a great special somewhere else (or even independent) while everyone's eyes were on her, she could've rode that wave for a hot minute.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You get those stupid 'who?' posts in every thread about a public figure that isn't the pope or a president tbf. It seems to be a plague on most forums

Does she have a draw at the minute like some of her peers do?

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they paid DeRay Davis that much then she definitely has a case as that is insane. If they're paying him that much then how much are they giving the chappeles, rocks and even ellen?

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's threads like these that show the cracks in Era's ethics, and reveals the ignorance in many of the users. If it's not a cause, movement or person you're informed about, it's really easy to just be like "lol get bent"

Hypemaster

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Space
I guess you missed a whole era of comedy in the late 90s/early 00s. Anybody who grew up in the black community would regard her, as with her contemporaries like Sommore, Loni Love, Adele Givens, etc as comedy legends, with Monique definitely at the forefront. You wouldn't get it if you weren't around.

This is why we have all of these "Who?" post in this thread. They are ignorant. They aren't familiar. But Google could've saved a lot of you the embarrassment and the racial undertones of your dismissals.

The disrespect is unreal but not at all surprising.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

I'm in full agreement with this post. I grew up with her on TV as my parents watched the Moesha, Parker's, BAPs, and some of her other content. You're right that her and her shows were well talked about within black groups and I can recall most of my white friends never really knew or watched those shows. She most definitely would of had that pull and this special would have been a hit.

I'm supportive of her cause to a degree, but I still can't wrap my head around why her and her husband didn't counter the offer? I see plenty of posts here where people suggest countering salary offers when applying for a job. When I make an expensive purchase, I'm negotiating price to get the best deal for myself.

I'm not saying Netflix is right with their low offer to her, but her husband fucked this up and the PR is backfiring on them cause she didn't conduct business the proper way. All these comparisons she did in these interviews should have been presented to Netflix for a better offer. Her husband as her manager should of had supporting data showing her sold out events and history to pull in crowds to prove her worth being more than what they offered. If they rejected and kept her at 500k, then lash out in public and with this lawsuit.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Mo is trippin, but if I see one more post say "who" I'm going to lose my mind. I know people don't pay attention to black comedians, but damn I feel she was all over the 90s/early 00s.

Disagree. The vast majority household name stand-up comedians in my lifetime have been black.

From the Foxx/Pryor/Cosby/Murphy era, to the Wayans/Rock/Chapelle/Mac era, to Hart/Buress/Sykes of today.

Even that leaves out the "lesser" known Williams, Morgan, O'Neal, Hughly, Tucker, Eddie Murphy, Lawrence, Harvey, Griffin, etc etc etc

The problem is black women getting a break, where I think she has a good point. I know Sykes has her back.

Jehuty

Oct 25, 2017
I grew up watching Black Comedians so I know who Mo'nique is. She ain't even worth 500k. The reality is that she isn't a draw outside of the black community. Netflix as a company will only pay entertainer what they think they are worth (based on how many views they can draw). I don't find Amy Schumer funny at all but understand lots of other people do so hence why she gets paid so much. Same thing happened with the likes of Dane Cook and Carlos Mencia. Horrible unfunny but tons of people were into that type of humor so they made tons at one time. Not many people are going to find Mo'nique funny.

The most important part of all this is that Netflix doesn't owe Mo'nique a single thing. They gave her offer, she refused and tried to renegotiate, Netflix backed out and said have better luck elsewhere. That's completely on her. She and her horrible manager played themselves. Even worse is that they then took to fight to a bunch of other black entertainers (Oprah, Harvey, Charlemagne, etc) in an epic pout fest that they didn't have her back. Nah son, that ain't it. Her stupid boycott didn't work and this lawsuit will get thrown out. Mo'nique is stubborn so she refuses to acknowledge that she isn't a big draw and hasn't made friends in an industry that relies on sucking up to everyone.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
Disagree. The vast majority household name stand-up comedians in my lifetime have been black.

From the Foxx/Pryor/Cosby/Murphy era, to the Wayans/Rock/Chapelle/Mac era, to Hart/Buress/Sykes of today.

Even that leaves out the "lesser" known Williams, Morgan, O'Neal, Hughly, Tucker, Eddie Murphy, Lawrence, Harvey, Griffin, etc etc etc

The problem is black women getting a break, where I think she has a good point. I know Sykes has her back.
Yea, I agree with this.

Skyejack

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2019
You saying that Netflix made this decision? Seems more likely that, that's what Burr wanted.
You don't think Netflix has any say in what they spend their money on? And anyone who thinks Netflix gives no shits about European numbers when that's one of the areas they're attempting to make huge growth in, is nuts. Numbers have been stagnant for them in the US.

Oct 25, 2017
If I recall correctly, 500k was Netflix's opening offer and they didn't even counter offer. Obviously it's tough to know what she could have actually gotten of she negotiated.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's why Cosby, Chappelle, Murphy, Pryor, Rock, Kevin Hart, Bernie Mac, Red Foxx etc etc all never made it big.
There are lots more, and notice how you didn't name one woman. I grew up in a household that watched lots of standup, and there are tons of talented black comedians that never got the same push that mediocre white comedians got.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
You don't think Netflix has any say in what they spend their money on? And anyone who thinks Netflix gives no shits about European numbers when that's one of the areas they're attempting to make huge growth in, is nuts. Numbers have been stagnant for them in the US.
Do they have a say? Sure. That doesn't mean that, that was their idea. The fact of the matter is that most of these comedy specials are for American audiences first and foremost. Especially with how a bunch of these people are not widely known. So putting them up, doesn't do much for International audiences unless they are a big draw like Schumer, Rock, Chappelle.

Skyejack

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2019
There are lots more, and notice how you didn't name one woman. I grew up in a household that watched lots of standup, and there are tons of talented black comedians that never got the same push that mediocre white comedians got.
There are tons more. Patrice O'Neal is one of my favorites of all time. But you said people don't care about black comedians, which is patently false. If you mean black women, then I agree. They're definitely not represented well, and it's not because women are generally shunned from comedy. There's plenty of female comics.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
There are tons more. Patrice O'Neal is one of my favorites of all time. But you said people don't care about black comedians, which is patently false. If you mean black women, then I agree. They're definitely not represented well, and it's not because women are generally shunned from comedy. There's plenty of female comics.
You pretty much named all of the heavy hitting bankable black comedians from the last 50-60 years. You don't think that number is a little thin? I stand by what I said and I stand by the fact that black women aren't even represented at all pretty much.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I grew up watching Black Comedians so I know who Mo'nique is. She ain't even worth 500k. The reality is that she isn't a draw outside of the black community. Netflix as a company will only pay entertainer what they think they are worth (based on how many views they can draw). I don't find Amy Schumer funny at all but understand lots of other people do so hence why she gets paid so much. Same thing happened with the likes of Dane Cook and Carlos Mencia. Horrible unfunny but tons of people were into that type of humor so they made tons at one time. Not many people are going to find Mo'nique funny.

The most important part of all this is that Netflix doesn't owe Mo'nique a single thing. They gave her offer, she refused and tried to renegotiate, Netflix backed out and said have better luck elsewhere. That's completely on her. She and her horrible manager played themselves. Even worse is that they then took to fight to a bunch of other black entertainers (Oprah, Harvey, Charlemagne, etc) in an epic pout fest that they didn't have her back. Nah son, that ain't it. Her stupid boycott didn't work and this lawsuit will get thrown out. Mo'nique is stubborn so she refuses to acknowledge that she isn't a big draw and hasn't made friends in an industry that relies on sucking up to everyone.
Netflix does plenty of niche content that they're willing to shell out money for. I'm willing to bet that Mo'Nique's comedy special would have brought in more that that odd Marvel niche binge they were on for a while. To say that Mo'Nique isn't worth 500k is...a stretch. She gets paid more than that to do movies.

Also, Mo'Nique's beef with Oprah has nothing to do with this. Oprah brought Mo'Nique's estranged mother onto her show to dish on Mo's upbringing after Mo specifically asked her not to behind the scenes. That was messed up.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If DeRay Davis, who I'd argue is less known than Mo'nique, can get 10 times her pay, I'd say she has a case

Again, posts like 'Who?' should be bannable
Who? Mostly happens in Black threads. I never seen "who" run rampant in any other threads.

And Monique seriously has a case, she should be throwing body shots though instead of haymakers. DeRay is weak, and I couldn't go past 15 min of that Chris Tucker special and she's funnier than both of them on stand up. $500k is too low.