• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
If you grew up with any knowledge of the 80s/90s/early 2000s black comedy scene, you know who Mo'Nique is. Mo was quite simply a titan in her prime.

I don't know where I personally stand in her beef with Netflix, because I can see both sides of this particular fight, but let's not play silly.

Also, if you don't know "who" she is...Google is my good homegirl, and she can be yours too.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I mean I'm shocked but not shocked that people wanna race in here to get their "WHO" posts out the way.

Mo is a legend, anyone who knows it, knows it. But she desperately...DESPERATELY needs a new manager.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
Netflix is a company that tries to get as many viewers as possible all over the world. All those names you mentioned , including her, mean nothing outside the US. Seinfeld, Chapelle, Rock or Ellen do have recognition in Europe, where I'm from, for example. That's one reason why she was offered less, she is not recognized at all outside of the US.

Not sure how is this relevant to my post. But I'll bite: Netflix doesn't curate content based on a worldwide audience. In fact, Netflix in other regions is missing content we have here for various reasons. I'm commenting on the dismissal of Monique in this thread by Era members, not what Netflix is deciding on (which I don't really have an issue with what they did in her case). Monique's situation is a bit more complex than most people realized, because again, they don't care. They just wanted to come in the thread to shit on her without knowing what's really going on here (and not even bothering to read up on her past).

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City

this reminds me, i should get back to the so well spoken podcast sometime

Steve was hella disappointing right there. Advocating sacrificing your integrity for checks? Proclaiming that you can't help anyone if you aren't rich?

Steve ain't shit, actually.

he truly ain't, and it's weird looking back at kinds of comedy and how much i enjoyed parts of his morning radio show forever ago out west

and then why we got monkeys, his atheist stuff and now this

Ask Damon Dash, not me

you just gonna namedrop another man in a thread like that? might as well call him daddy

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
I listened to what she had to say on her interviews back when this started and I just couldn't fully get on her side. Yes, she is a legend but not on the level of the people she keeps comparing herself to.

I think her ego and her manager killed her career. She is pretty much shut out from hollywood and now streamywood.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
She had all eyes on her when she did that interview and slammed Netflix. EVERYONE was watching. And what did she do with that spotlight? Make a standup special? Find another service to host her?

Nah, she and her manager just wasted it.
you just gonna namedrop another man in a thread like that? might as well call him daddy
you went and quoted three posters, may as well admit you got three daddies

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what a fair contract for a Mo'Nique Netflix special should be, but I find it hard to believe someone wouldn't know who she is.

Last edited:

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't really apply to her though, unless the entire black entertainment industry is in a grand conspiracy against her. At a certain point the common thread is her.

This is entirely my personal take but I feel that: she has a legitimate concern that is exacerbated by how she responds/handles. I think those two conversations can happen in parallel but the first is often dismissed by people because of how they feel about her (or her tone).

(There's also a possible discussion to be had about how other Oscar winners with their own baggage haven't been as readily dismissed as she has).

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
She had a comedy/documentary a few years back called I Could of Been Your Cellmate, was really funny and touching. Her husband has ruined her career, she should of worked steady after Precious, but no one wants to work with her, or deal with her loser leech/husband.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
I've seen her in The Parkers back in the day and heard she was great in Precious but other than that nothing. Don't think she's worth as much as those gigantic names like Rock, Seinfeld and Ellen, those 3 could probably sellout a huge arena while she might probably struggle to sell out a club.

Should've done it and knocked it out of the park then get paid for the next special. Don't think she's gonna win this.

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
London
giphy.webp

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty ancient, right?

She was talking about this at least last year. Maybe 2 years ago now.

edit: yea

This is clearly a delusional person talking. Saying she is a legend just like Chappelle and that she is "the most decorated comedian alive". It's ridiculous. There's definitely a talk to be had about gender and race discrimination in Hollywood, but these minor actors comparing themselves to the great ones only serves to disrupt those talks. And I guess Mo'nique is saying goodbye to her career now and this is the last call for attention.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
This is clearly a delusional person talking. Saying she is a legend just like Chappelle and that she is "the most decorated comedian alive". It's ridiculous. There's definitely a talk to be had about gender and race discrimination in Hollywood, but these minor actors comparing themselves to the great ones only serves to disrupt those talks. And I guess Mo'nique is saying goodbye to her career now and this is the last call for attention.

I still remember the video where Jawn Murray puts her on blast for saying that. He didn't even need to mention Whoopi Goldberg and her EGOT.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There can't be that much people not knowing who Mo'nique is.

Like I at least expect you to know her face when you see her.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You forget this is an international board too, and I'm pretty sure that if I asked 100 people here in Austria, 98 +- 2 would not know who she is.

Does Amy Schumer or hell, even Dave Chappelle have high recognition in Austria though?

I don't think Netflix has the international market in mind when they are making this stand-up play they've been on as of late. (And that's not to be dismissive of international markets but I just see the stand-up specials and recent Hip-Hop show as part of the same grand strategy)

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Does Amy Schumer or hell, even Dave Chappelle have high recognition in Austria though?
Depends on what you call "high", but yes, vastly higher than Monique.
I know a bunch of people who watched the Chappelle special, and while I don't know anyone who likes Schumer, they know her.
EDIT: Chappelle used to be on German TV, and I might be wrong, but I don't think Mo'nique was, at least not in a similar capacity.

Last edited:

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
It's strange to me the particular types of threads that inspire people to enter them and boldly proclaim their ignorance of the subject.

Bing is a click away, y'all.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I'm not from the US and I know her, she won an Oscar after all. Precious was also at Cannes for exemple.
Yeah, but that doesn't change that she's much less famous internationally than Schumer and Chappelle.
I'm not even making an argument that she should/shouldn't have been offered more, and I'm also not saying that not knowing her makes it right (or even okay) to shit up the thread with "Who?" and "I don't know her" posts.
I'm just saying that it's not surprising many people on this board don't know who she is.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It comes down to who is a bigger draw currently and the names shes compared to are simply bigger draws worldwide and command higher fees as a result.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I know Seinfeld, Schumer, Chappelle, Rock or DeGeneres. I don't know her. From this, i'd say a 500k offer seems rather generous.

They are bigger names, they get a bigger pay. Seems only logical.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Monique deserves at least Queen Latifa money in 2019. However they decide to figure that out—good luck.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I vaguely remember her from Moesha. That's it. She's not anywhere near the same league as Dave Chapelle or Chris Rock or even Ellen Degeneres. Come on now.
Lashing out like this isn't gonna win her any favors. She's making it difficult for all other parties involved.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
Monique deserves at least Queen Latifa money in 2019. However they decide to figure that out—good luck.

Queen Latifa is actually famous and active and had that Little Mermaid thing like a week ago.

Now I'm wondering if Monique fans are as deluded as she is. In what universe is she on Queen Latifa level, much less Chapelle level?

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017

I don't think Netflix has the international market in mind when they are making this stand-up play they've been on as of late. (And that's not to be dismissive of international markets but I just see the stand-up specials and recent Hip-Hop show as part of the same grand strategy)

I'm not getting into Mo'niques particular circumstances but in regard to international popularity, when was the last time she did a world tour?

I'm australian, not Austrian but I can say that Chappelle, Rock, Burr, Seinfeld have all done big shows in my shithole city. Schumer was supposed to do one as well but cancelled for health reasons. If Mo'nique was to do a show here I'd probably go.

I do think that international fanbases must factor in, somehow.