• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 22, 2017
Florida
i mean beyond just defending ignorance for no real reason here, i thought dismissive "WHO?" nonsense was shitposting and frowned upon in general, but go ahead and defend that i guess

cool, they're good too. glad her wiki helped here, at least we both understand she's not unknown

I never claimed she was unknown, just that she wasn't some household name. You are acting like its impossible for someone to have never heard of her unless they live in a cave.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
i grew up on moesha and never found her that great.

She was on the level of the old guard of the Black Kings/Queens of Comedy, which included names like Steve Harvey, Bernie Mac, DL Hughley, etc. But that era is done with. What's really weird is that I find her performance in Precious one of the greatest of that decade, and was absolutely deserving of the Oscar. But then she went and burned her bridges with pretty much ALL of the major black film producer/directors in Hollywood, including Lee Daniels, Tyler Perry, and Oprah.

She's talented and she has very valid points about the way she was treated since her Precious performance, but she's handled her career totally irrationally.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
Some show it, some are it.

bet you thought this was deadly clever, eh

Y'all really some ignorant fucks

imagine bragging about not knowing a comedy legend for cool points

right? but he we are, page after page

I feel for her, and more power to her. Unfortunately because she chose not to play these games she was blackballed. And as a black woman, ain't noone gonna put their neck out for her. Ofcourse she totally could have gone about it in a better way, but she shouldn't have to deal with this shit in a perfect world.

really thought she was insightful here, this thread ain't ready for that level dialogue though

it's shit posting in a random thread about someone but this is literally about her popularity so not knowing her is part of the discussion.
she seems to be away from the spotlight and got an offer reflecting that.

i get that, but this very issue alone has come up a lot in recent times
comedians don't do new stuff all the time, i get that but her topic on black women being undervalued is also really relevant here as well

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
This is likely more of a Mo'nique thing than a race thing.

Netflix has no problem hiring women of color as showrunners, or featuring shows starring women of color.

As for comedy specials, we know Mo'nique didn't sign, but Tiffany Haddish got a deal last year for multiple specials. One, where she highlights six other comedians of her choice is already out. Another is hitting Netflix in December. And Leslie Jones has a Netflix special scheduled for next year.
I don't know how much money those deals are for, Tiffany Haddish and Leslie Jones are big names so I assume it must be good money, those were done after Mo'nique though so I dunno, maybe this whole thing had a positive effect. Tiffany Haddish was getting real popular when this all originally went down so I don't know why if it were just a Mo'nique thing a big offer wasn't made to Tiffany Haddish at that point, or even Wanda Sykes of all people. They had their choice of funny black women to choose from but it doesn't seem like any of them got a big offer.
You're literally on a computer or phone with the internet right now.

Mobius

Banned
Oct 10, 2019
Don't know how she was discriminated against if they previously gave Black people and women good money. She has a massive ego problem, she isn't as popular or as funny as she think she is.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
lol

What a dumb take

She aint shit in the comedy world but go off I guess

I guess you missed a whole era of comedy in the late 90s/early 00s. Anybody who grew up in the black community would regard her, as with her contemporaries like Sommore, Loni Love, Adele Givens, etc as comedy legends, with Monique definitely at the forefront. You wouldn't get it if you weren't around.

This is why we have all of these "Who?" post in this thread. They are ignorant. They aren't familiar. But Google could've saved a lot of you the embarrassment and the racial undertones of your dismissals.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Don't know how she was discriminated against if they previously gave Black people and women good money. She has a massive ego problem, she isn't as popular or as funny as she think she is.
If you watch the interview posted in this thread she was saying they weren't giving black women that money, not referring to women and black male comedians.

OP
OP
Syriel

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I don't know how much money those deals are for, Tiffany Haddish and Leslie Jones are big names so I assume it must be good money, those were done after Mo'nique though so I dunno, maybe this whole thing had a positive effect. Tiffany Haddish was getting real popular when this all originally went down so I don't know why if it were just a Mo'nique thing a big offer wasn't made to Tiffany Haddish at that point, or even Wanda Sykes of all people. They had their choice of funny black women to choose from but it doesn't seem like any of them got a big offer.

Shonda Rhimes got a reported $150 million, 5 year deal. Now she's making TV shows, not comedy specials, but it's not like they went cheap to land her.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that multiple people in this thread aren't even familiar with her, and the fact that she's a has-been who burned all her bridges more than a decade ago, is why Netflix offered her a mere half a million in the first place. A deal she should've been thankful for. Instead, she turned around and publicly attacked Netflix thinking this will somehow help her as she burns her last bridge. She used that opportunity to get on some talk shows to moan and drag her decade old feud back, people talked about her for three days, mostly saying how idiotic she is, and moved on. Nothing changed.

Now she's going for the remix with this lawsuit. Well, good luck.

Mobius

Banned
Oct 10, 2019
If you watch the interview posted in this thread she was saying they weren't giving black women that money, not referring to women and black male comedians.
Personally I'd have to look at it on a case to case basis, but i've watched Monique's show on BET for years way back when, and she doesn't draw in a large audience, which is tied on how much you're paid. 500k sounds just about right for Monique.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
She was on the level of the old guard of the Black Kings/Queens of Comedy, which included names like Steve Harvey, Bernie Mac, DL Hughley, etc. But that era is done with. What's really weird is that I find her performance in Precious one of the greatest of that decade, and was absolutely deserving of the Oscar. But then she went and burned her bridges with pretty much ALL of the major black film producer/directors in Hollywood, including Lee Daniels, Tyler Perry, and Oprah.

She's talented and she has very valid points about the way she was treated since her Precious performance, but she's handled her career totally irrationally.

I remember her from the early Def Comedy Jam days, back when they were hosted by Joe Torry. I am on the older side of this community, though. I can totally see how a poster in their early-to-mid twenties might have no earthly clue who she is - especially from a stand up comedy perspective. I think posters accusing others of ugly things are forgetting that it's completely normal and expected for young posters, or even older posters from outside of the US, to be unfamiliar with her.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
It is a business, but Netflix also wants to be recognized for being inclusive and breaking down barriers, they do have the money to do it and at the end of the day someone needs to be the first.

As a white dude it's not my place to make any definitive statements, I can recognize at least personally I'd consider her a legend, but I can't help thinking like if they wanted to break that ceiling more they could do better? I dunno. Maybe she went about it the wrong way but I can at least see where she's coming from. I also recognize some of the people Netflix have given a platform to is contrary to their message of inclusivity, so it's not like I expect much of them.

If the last few months has shown us anything all these "Woke" companies only want to be progressive until it hurts their bottom line. If Netflix made a Mo'nique Special they would 100% advertise it as being a win for 'diversity' and 'black women' in comedy but no amount of ceiling breaking would offset the $10-60 million cost. I applaud Mo'nique for calling Netflix on its bullshit and trying to get more money but she messed up. There's a reason after only 1 special Netflix offered Tiffany Haddish more money than Mo'nique. Haddish was a bigger name at the time and thus she would get more views than Mo'nique even with her legend status.

Its not a perfect 1 to 1 example but Mo'nique coming to Netflix asking for Schumer-Chappelle level paycheck is like Cuba Gooding Jr. coming to the building asking for a Will Smith level paycheck because he won an Oscar/is a great actor. Netflix will only pay top dollar if you are getting them a lot of views or Oscar prestige. If not you'll get low balled like everyone else sadly.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Netflix should have thrown in a six pack of diet strawberry heifenweiser too then maybe she'd take the deal.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Personally I'd have to look at it on a case to case basis, but i've watched Monique's show on BET for years way back when, and she doesn't draw in a large audience, which is tied on how much you're paid. 500k sounds just about right for Monique.
Sure, but that can also speak to a wider audience not having a commercial relationship with standup from black women because they aren't platformed as much as a Chris Rock or Dave Chapelle, and putting those women on a similar standing could have a ripple effect within the industry to positively effect that.
Shonda Rhimes got a reported $150 million, 5 year deal. Now she's making TV shows, not comedy specials, but it's not like they went cheap to land her.
That's a good point, probably a lot of factors that play into that too though like TV being bigger and more time-consuming productions, and I'm not saying talent isn't a part of that number at all, just that there's def different considerations with TV or film.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
I guess you missed a whole era of comedy in the late 90s/early 00s. Anybody who grew up in the black community would regard her, as with her contemporaries like Sommore, Loni Love, Adele Givens, etc as comedy legends, with Monique definitely at the forefront. You wouldn't get it if you weren't around.

This is why we have all of these "Who?" post in this thread. They are ignorant. They aren't familiar. But Google could've saved a lot of you the embarrassment and the racial undertones of your dismissals.

fuckin thank you
especially that "I've never heard of her, she ain't shit" dude you're replying to - the erasure just jumped out

She is right about that for sure.

yeah, that's the specific point she's been (rightfully ) on about for ages now - so you can see why the dismissiveness here really played into her narrative

i get caustic about misogynoir, and there's definitely some of that here, but i should've been more clear about that earlier on, i hindsight. my bad.

Skyejack

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2019
I remember her from the early Def Comedy Jam days, back when they were hosted by Joe Torry. I am on the older side of this community, though. I can totally see how a poster in their early-to-mid twenties might have no earthly clue who she is - especially from a stand up comedy perspective. I think posters accusing others of ugly things are forgetting that it's completely normal and expected for young posters, or even older posters from outside of the US, to be unfamiliar with her.
There ya go being level-headed.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel for her, and more power to her. Unfortunately because she chose not to play these games she was blackballed. And as a black woman, ain't noone gonna put their neck out for her. Ofcourse she totally could have gone about it in a better way, but she shouldn't have to deal with this shit in a perfect world.

"This shit" is of her own making.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I see this forum still ain't ready for a discussion about undervaluing black women (in the entertainment industry).

Dec 22, 2017
Florida
yeah, that's the specific point she's been (rightfully ) on about for ages now - so you can see why the dismissiveness here really played into her narrative

i get caustic about misogynoir, and there's definitely some of that here, but i should've been more clear about that earlier on, i hindsight. my bad.

I should have made more of an effort on my part to look her up as well and see what she was all about before responding. My bad as well. Going to make some time to try and find some of her stuff on youtube.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
When the internet exists and you come into a thread willingly ignorant to exclaim you don't know anything about the main crux of the thread, that just makes no sense. If someone doesn't know who she is, of course there's nothing wrong with that, but to have any sort of discussion you should at least take a minute to read an article or go to wikipedia or else you can't engage in any reasonable conversation about the issue. It's not too much to ask people to have a base level of understanding when it's a few clicks away, access to information is virtually instantaneous.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Age probably plays a role as well. The time period you stated was two decades ago.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You do know it's 2019 now, almost 2020 yeah?

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
Wow, Precious was a decade ago. Dang.

Give Nicole Byer a comedy special already, Netflix.

trineo_feo

Oct 27, 2017

Netflix is a company that tries to get as many viewers as possible all over the world. All those names you mentioned , including her, mean nothing outside the US. Seinfeld, Chapelle, Rock or Ellen do have recognition in Europe, where I'm from, for example. That's one reason why she was offered less, she is not recognized at all outside of the US.