• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Mo'Nique was never popular and "peaked" with The Parkers and Soul Plane 15 years ago. Additionally, the few that recognize her ever would for her stand-up.

Instead, give $100K to 5 unknown female black stand-ups. Then jack their pay after a few hit it big and give them more specials, shows, movies - etc.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
FYI guys. Shes been blacklisted in hollywood for some time now. Ever since that oscars speech fiasco. While i applaud her for shouting out indifference it was the wrong time. "The white man" runs the industry she got her paycheck from.

Its no surprise that netflix would follow suit. They are using production companies who are still attached to hollywood. People in that industry dont forget.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
I find Mo'nique to be pretty funny as a stand-up but I hate this line of thinking. Netflix takes very calculated risks based on complicated metrics. It just makes a person, man or woman, look like a business adolescent when they tantrum like this.

Mercurial

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She didn't want 14 or even 20m. She wanted more than 500k though but they wouldn't evebn renegotiate.

According to who? By her own account, she rejected the offer and started this ridiculous line of questioning with Netflix that compared herself to Amy Schumer and Chris Rock. That isn't a negotiation.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Is that low for her yes.

Is netflix being racist no.

She isn't in the same league as them

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FYI guys. Shes been blacklisted in hollywood for some time now. Ever since that oscars speech fiasco. While i applaud her for shouting out indifference it was the wrong time. "The white man" runs the industry she got her paycheck from.

Its no surprise that netflix would follow suit. They are using production companies who are still attached to hollywood. People in that industry dont forget.
And yet they still made her an offer

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I will say her way about going about getting paid more is a little ridiculous. Ain't nobody about to cancel their subscription. But let's put in perceptive of the little research i did.

Mo'nique is currently sold out within the next few days but her tickets cost 40 dollars and the maximum capacity of the venue is 350. She has upcoming shows as well in much bigger venues and the price ranges from 60-120 depending on the seats. Now I can't tell if she is actually gonna do a tour right now(it's safe to say she will if this offer came up) but let's say she does a tour and does at least 50 shows(mind you a lot of comedians do shows twice a day). She's easily making close to 2 mil off that. So yes i personally think 2-5 mil is worth it if you lookin at it from her perceptive your material is going out to a lot of people who didn't make it to your show

You're talking 2 million gross, over what, 6 months? How much comes out of that as venue costs, staff costs, travel costs, etc.?

Half million net, for a single show is a much better return.

Mo was offered to do the same work as Amy, Dave and Chris. They made her an offer that was 1/22 less than the amount they gave Amy. If you don't feel she is worth Schumer money that is fine. But she still was offered a significant fraction of Schumer that is comparable to crumbs. It's problematic and I don't appreciate your slick talk of bringing my salary into this discussion.

And if you don't know the history of underpaying black women for work, then I should not be shocked that you would think it's a reach.

It isn't really the "same work" if she's not pulling the same numbers as they are. Writers, by way of example, get paid vastly different amounts of money. You're basically arguing that everyone should get Stephen King levels of pay, just because they're putting words to paper like he is.

She's very talented but she has a greater talent for burning bridges. It's amazing to me. Take the payday and reestablish your comedic chops and increase your visibility and thus your brand and drawing power in the future but no, she gotta ensure Netflix ain't gonna fuck with her going forward. Dumb.

So much this. When you refuse to support the campaign for your own Oscar, that's a pretty big way of saying "I don't care."

Not true, according to her. She rejected the first offer and they walked away.

It depends on if her demands were reasonable. If you take the agent quoted in the Vulture article at face value, Netflix's initial offer was already double what she could expect to get on the open market.

Negotiating means having the data to back up your demands. It's not just "I deserve this because I say so." If Netflix came in with an already high offer, and she countered with "double it" or "I want Schumer/Rock money," it's easy to see why Netflix would conclude that it wasn't worth pursuing because they weren't even in the same ballpark as far as worth.

Why don't you tell us about yourself, a bunch of posters in this thread have been saying they've never heard of her, ok. But if you're in America and over the age of 20 theres a good chance you know who she is

Post people in America would know her for starring in one sitcom, and then snubbing the Oscar campaign for Precious.

She could do it herself, honestly. Put in some work, come back in a year, with something already produced, and sell it on her own terms. If she's mad enough.

but they still own the rights for the first set for in her opinion a cut rate. wasn't good enough for her.

Irrelevant. If this was Martin Lawrence no one would bat an eye.
Its not like she's new, or from the new school youtubers where they got to stay up in your face or else you forget what theyre name is.

She tried that with her 2016 special. It doesn't exactly look like it tore up the rental or sales charts on Amazon. She doesn't even have it available to buy anymore.

Not having done anything in a long time is going to hurt an entertainer's value. Doing something recently and having it be received poorly is also going to hurt an entertainer's value.

I never found her particularly funny so I can't really say id had offered more. I kinda feel maybe just off the strength of her being an academy award winning actress that would be worth at least 1mil though. I mean that's why actors care about them in the first place. I guess that doesn't really mean shit if you're doing stand-up and not doing something Hollywood related though. Sucks for her, but o assume Netflix has enough user data and demographic info to be able to make educated guesses on what'll be worth what. In her case they weren't going higher than 500k because they didn't see the value.

Netflix has crazy amounts of user data. They can tell you, down to the minute, who watched what, where, and when. Netflix knows if people watch a whole show or if the drop off partway thru.

I agree with this, but I do think it's worth noting that she feels burned by this "wait until next time" advice everyone keeps giving her.

She said she did Precious for $50k, and everyone kept telling her when she won the oscar, her value would go up, so she should campaign for the film for free. That obviously never happened.

In the interview with Sway, she now says Will Packer, the black producer for Almost Christmas and Girls Trip, sat down with her and said if she did his film for a low price, he'd have all kinds of movies/tv stuff for her. Now she's saying that was a lie.

I can see why she feels like the "work for less, get paid more later" doesn't apply to her.

But she has burned a lot of bridges so her reluctance to accept it as valid is not a neat and clean rebuke of the advice.

Except she didn't do that for Precious. She refused to campaign for her Oscar. She had public demands like she wouldn't fly out unless her whole entourage was also paid for on first class flights. She has champagne taste on a beer budget.

And that isn't just limited to Mo'Nique. Katherine Heigl is an example given in this thread. She tanked her own career because she thought she was hot shit coming off Grey's Anatomy and the diva attitude burned bridged left and right because she couldn't pull in the $$$ to justify her demands.

Even Robert Downey Jr. was in a similar situation when he filmed the first Iron Man. He was an award winning actor, who had burned a shitload of bridges in Hollywood. He got paid $500,000 for Iron Man. Obviously later films netted him a lot more, but that was because he put in the work for Iron Man and increased his value.

Last edited:

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
Person whose career peaked more than a decade ago and whose claim to fame is The Parkers (something I had to google) is shocked to discover she is not offered nearly as much money as some of the leading and most prominent of her contemporaries.

Mercurial

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Go checkout the sway interview.

She openly discusses doing exactly what I described in both the TMZ interview and the Sway interview in that she had her husband engage in an absurd line of questioning with the higher-ups of Netflix about why her offer is so low relative to some of the biggest names in the industry. Her side of the story, which in most conflicts is almost assuredly a personally favorable recollection of what transpired, is reason enough to not continue the discussion because one party simply isn't occupying the same reality as you. If Netflix thinks you're worth 500K and you think you're worth 15 million, there's nothing to be gained from continuing the discussion.

Whoever she was 10-15 years ago is irrelevant to her market value today. Ask Carlos Mencia if you don't believe me.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
She openly discusses doing exactly what I described in both the TMZ interview and the Sway interview in that she had her husband engage in an absurd line of questioning with the higher-ups of Netflix about why her offer is so low relative to some of the biggest names in the industry. Her side of the story, which in most conflicts is almost assuredly a personally favorable recollection of what transpired, is reason enough to not continue the discussion because one party simply isn't occupying the same reality as you. If Netflix thinks you're worth 500K and you think you're worth 15 million, there's nothing to be gained from continuing the discussion.

Whoever she was 10-15 years ago is irrelevant to her market value today. Ask Carlos Mencia if you don't believe me.

Plus she stunk up the air of those negotiations by threatening to go public about some perceived bigotry. Like, who does that during negotiations and thinks they'll come out ahead?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Mo'nique is, or at the very least was, a well known stand up comedian.

I didn't watch much of her, but what I did watch, I liked.

She had a shot at real success here, she should have seized the opportunity instead of burning more bridges.

Calling for a boycott on fucking Netflix is lunacy. Just say no and move on.
I guess she's blacklisted in Hollywood for a reason.

Lady is just crazy.

Transhuman

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If Sarah Silverman were being lowballed, the thread would be filled with people saying "quit being stingy Netflix and pay up". That's because Silverman has a presence, a following, and respect.

I didn't even know who Mon'ique was before clicking on this thread and doing a wiki search, and clearly i'm not the only one. The fact that there could even be two sides on this is mind boggling.

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Had no idea who she was

I looked at some video on YouTube and damn she is really unfunny

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Sarah Silverman were being lowballed, the thread would be filled with people saying "quit being stingy Netflix and pay up". That's because Silverman has a presence, a following, and respect.

I didn't even know who Mon'ique was before clicking on this thread and doing a wiki search, and clearly i'm not the only one. The fact that there could even be two sides on this is mind boggling.
In fairness, the thread about Amy Schumer was filled with people saying that she didn't deserve as much as Chappelle or Chris Rock. I think she is, in fact, terrible, but probably the same would happened to Sarah Silverman. I bet we'd see a lot of "we'll she's not as good as them, so she doesn't deserve as much".

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

carlos mencia isn't funny and steals jokes.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

Yeah...maybe Netflix isn't the one at fault. Sorry Mo'nique.

OP
OP
Shuri

Shuri

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised we didnt see any whataboutism drive-by posts using last week's Mark Wahlberg pay gap controversy with Michele William in this thread. To be quite honest, I was expecting them within the first 10 posts

Maybe this place is growing up, after all.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Rock and Chappelle are black so it's not a race thing and Schumer is a woman so it's not a gender thing. Out of all the comedians with specials on Netflix, it's odd she picked those ones to try and prove her point.

Regardless, Mo'nique has been out of the spotlight for a while, so $500,000 seems like a very fair price (and I bet it's more than many other comedians have gotten for their Netflix specials). It's crazy that she's trying to make a thing out of this.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Rock and Chappelle are black so it's not a race thing and Schumer is a woman so it's not a gender thing. Out of all the comedians with specials on Netflix, it's odd she picked those ones to try and prove her point.

Regardless, Mo'nique has been out of the spotlight for a while, so $500,000 seems like a very fair price (and I bet it's more than many other comedians have gotten for their Netflix specials). It's crazy that she's trying to make a thing out of this.

Black women are treated differently then Black men. It's been said multiple times already. Using Rock/Chappelle's race to counter the point doesn't work.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Chris Rock and Chappelle both have strong cross over appeal. Mo'Nique's comedy has typically been seen as "black stand up", she was on a UPN show and BET show.

It can be a race thing without them not negotiating with black talent.

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
Does it say that or just say she refused the 500,000 offer? We don't know if that was the first offer, even the article doesn't say that. Like I said I'd think her marketable value for a 1 hour special would be $250,000. Netflix are known to pay double what a comedian would get elsewhere.

I wonder if anybody else would even offer her a 1 hour special. That's not to shit on her talent. I think she's an amazing actress and a good comedienne. But she's barely worked the last seven years due to the Precious situation. Netflix is uniquely positioned to offer this sort of stuff.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Chris Rock and Chappelle both have strong cross over appeal. Mo'Nique's comedy has typically been seen as "black stand up", she was on a UPN show and BET show.

It can be a race thing without them not negotiating with black talent.

I'll admit, this is an interesting point that I didn't consider.

I still would be very curious to see what other comedians make for their Netflix specials for some frame of reference, but with us only ever knowing what they pay the mega-stars, everything will all just be speculation.

Viera

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Imagine the shitstorm if someone said this about #MeToo.

Last edited:

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll admit, this is an interesting point that I didn't consider.

I still would be very curious to see what other comedians make for their Netflix specials for some frame of reference, but with us only ever knowing what they pay the mega-stars, everything will all just be speculation.
Yeah I didn't mean to knock you, but I think there's an interesting dynamic here.

I watched the Kat Williams netflix special which was very much "black humor" vs cross over. I'd be interested in what they offered him.

500k seems to me low for an academy award winning actress but without comparison it seems hard to judge.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Here's the interview she did with Sway about the Netflix situation

how if she would have accepted 500k from Netflix, then it would have hurt people like Tiffany Haddish when they got offered their own Netflix special. Netflix would point to Monique agreeing to do it for 500k and use that as the benchmark for other black female comedians.

All Tiffany Haddish would have to do is point to how much HBO paid her for her comedy special. LOL

Viera

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
User was banned for 1 week: downplaying sexual harassment after previous bans/warnings for the same behavior
Last edited:

Transhuman

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In fairness, the thread about Amy Schumer was filled with people saying that she didn't deserve as much as Chappelle or Chris Rock. I think she is, in fact, terrible, but probably the same would happened to Sarah Silverman. I bet we'd see a lot of "we'll she's not as good as them, so she doesn't deserve as much".

Maybe if she was asking for 15 or 20 mil. If it was a figure based in reality they'd be no qualms