• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
metro.co.uk

Monster Hunter Rise hands-on preview – a beast of a demo

The Nintendo Switch gets its own exclusive Monster Hunter game, that looks set to boost the series’ popularity even further in the West.

They got to start playing the demo a few days ago and are really liking it:

"Monster Hunter Rise was announced last September, along with role-playing game Monster Hunter Stories 2, but until now it hasn't been entirely clear what it is. Within a few minutes of trying the demo it becomes obvious that this is a full fat Monster Hunter game, with a scale and ambition that is almost the match of Monster Hunter: World – as well as an open world environment that immediately feels reminiscent of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild. There are also some nods to the series' glory days on the PSP, with a slightly more streamlined approach to the titular goal, and a range of significant new features. Capcom could've tried to create a cut-down version of World but this is much more than that: a brand new game created from scratch for the Switch and with a distinctive feel all of its own."

"Rather than being an abridged version of Monster Hunter: World, Rise already feels like a significant new entry in the franchise. That said it's the graphics that grab you at first, as they're considerably better than we were expecting. Clearly they're not as good as World, with a lot of shortcuts taken with the landscape in terms of object detail, but that not only keeps up the frame rate but ensures the monsters can look as good as possible."

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Downloading the demo now. I have no problem at all with the backgrounds looking less vibrant if the monsters look great, as that's what my camera is pointing at most of the time.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
"Immediately feels reminiscent of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild".

Man, some people can't stop it with comparing games that implement some open locations to BOTW. Like hard games to Dark Souls.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK

Man, some people can't stop it with comparing games that implement some open locations to BOTW. Like hard games to Dark Souls.
I think a lot of this specific comparison is that the area in the demo, Shrine Ruins, is a very Zelda-like landscape of ancient crumbling temples being overtaken by plant life, mountains, mist and water.

OP
OP
sir_crocodile

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

I don't mind it, only bugs me when it's historically reversed lol. When I see people saying "Zelda 2 is the dark souls of zelda"...

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

I think a lot of this specific comparison is that the area in the demo, Shrine Ruins, is a very Zelda-like landscape of ancient crumbling temples being overtaken by plant life, mountains, mist and water.
In addition, I think the fact that you have a lot of verticality in Rise invites comparison with BOTW, which popularised this type of verticality, at least on the Switch (some would argue that Just Cause did it on PS4/XB1, although that wasn't nearly as popular and high-profile as BOTW).

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
In addition, I think the fact that you have a lot of verticality in Rise invites comparison with BOTW, which popularised this type of verticality, at least on the Switch (some would argue that Just Cause did it on PS4/XB1, although that wasn't nearly as popular and high-profile as BOTW).
Plus the radial recharge bars for wirebugs perhaps too.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I played all last night (used up 10 of my hunts lol)
I've been playing monster Hunter since the psp and I swear every iteration of the game I like more and more. Rise is continuing that trend. The new mechanics are fun and interesting, the Palimute is such a great companion, the environment fun to traverse, monsters look amazing, music incredible, it took all the quality of life changes from World and then some...... I can't sing its praise enough. I already know this will deliver and end up being my new favorite MH.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like I need to download this as soon as I finish work lol
Do it!

At the very least if you have a capable PC and find the 30fps "unacceptable" just wait several months for the inevitable PC release.

Game on the Switch runs pretty well. Really like how open it is as well given you'll be zipping around everywhere. I want to play the demo more but work sigh.