• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
Started making my own coffee and said "fuck starbucks".

I've saved so much money for this one small change.

be8e11df51ab868e601289c73c0ba770.jpg

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
Quality over quantity for me. Be it for clothes or electronics or whatever.
I also love it that the items that I now have gain character through useage like color or patina that makes it my very own even if others have the same stuff.

OP
OP
hwarang

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
I also love it that the items that I now have gain character through useage like color or patina that makes it my very own even if others have the same stuff.

yeah definitely. Buying quality clothes is significantly better than buying off brand crap.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Just went back to eating cereal for breakfast and taking in my own lunch to work, instead of buying food from the canteen or supermarket.

Can save £££s per year that way.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
purchase: My chest freezer. I'm able to go to my local GFS (sam's club/costco like store with no membership) and pick up things in bulk and reduced products.

Like in my recent trip I picked up 40 pounds of boneless chicken for like $18 total and 30 pounds of Beef burgers that also have kale and quinoa in them for $45 (they are interesting. but not bad)

yeah definitely. Buying quality clothes is significantly better than buying off brand crap.

and buying used is better than buying new (for shirts and pants and what not... new underwear all the way lol)

Which reminded me my action is getting a job at a thrift store. My clothes my furniture and various other things are through there. It's saved me a ton of money over the years though I've also bought a lot of crap I didn't need lol. I've lost track of how many funko pops I've bought.... and I hate how the things look. I just buy them to randomly hide on the shelves of my friends when I go visit. (though i haven't bought any in like 9 months because I don't know when I will be able to get back to doing that)

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Cooking instead of eating out. Holy shit the amount of money I saved was immediately noticeable with the first paycheck I received beginning of the year.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Treating myself to bigger one-time purchases (consoles, occasional nice dinner, etc.) and avoiding easy vectors for lifestyle creep (subscriptions, eating out regularly, expensive habits, etc.)

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
This is true but you need money to be able to do it.

The thing that probably saves me the most money is buying my cars used. I still like buying nice cars but I always get them around 2 years old and you just save so much money by doing so. The next thing is just not being impulsive. I probably think 10 times before I buy anything and its weird because I never did that when I was young and had no money.

But at a certain point you earn money to spend it so I don't mind splurging on some nice shit if we like it (i.e. clothes, vacations, furniture, etc).

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
We still eat out but I've been turning one meal into two lately and it's helped a lot. And just buying quality when you can helps with almost anything.

Darth Karja

Oct 25, 2017
This is true but you need money to be able to do it.

The thing that probably saves me the most money is buying my cars used. I still like buying nice cars but I always get them around 2 years old and you just save so much money by doing so. The next thing is just not being impulsive. I probably think 10 times before I buy anything and its weird because I never did that when I was young and had no money.

But at a certain point you earn money to spend it so I don't mind splurging on some nice shit if we like it (i.e. clothes, vacations, furniture, etc).
I do used cars too, but I pay in cash. Most expensive car I've ever bought was $3,000. I like not having payments. Bought my last car 1 year ago for $1900, and have only put $600 into it. Much cheaper then a $300 a month car payment.

Apr 24, 2018
Not paying for a car/gas. I consciously made the choice at my current job to live within walking distance of work, and everything else that I really need is within walking distance.

I do have one of my two best friends living in the area, and if I ever really needed a ride for whatever reason, I know I could get one which certainly helps give peace of mind (though I obviously wouldn't want to take advantage of my friend's generosity).

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Getting an instant pot. Helped save money on food since I almost always have leftovers.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Making my own food everyday since the pandemic really opened my eyes to how much I was spending.

Also quit smoking a few months ago. Almost $10 bucks per day for a pack of smokes also makes a huge difference.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Skipping breakfast (intermittent fasting 1-9), cooking stews/curry (usually made in Instant Pot ❤) and other big lot type meals on Sunday and eat that all week. That last one saves time and money but maybe not ideal if you don't like eating same thing every day. Personally I'm fine with it as I love stew. Can be had with rice, bread, mochi (which I toast in the air fryer then add to the stew). For less than 2000 yen ($20) I can have something that can feed me for an entire week.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Bidet. I haven't bought new toilet paper since.

A rechargeable battery flashlight for work saved me a ton of money over buying the cheapo ten packs.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Work from Home
Cut my own hair and beard
Eating at home (We stopped most fast food)

And our big one:

Sticking to our vehicles recommended service schedules. We are two people who just didn't do it. We drove our cars until catastrophe forced visits to the mechanic; we never voluntarily went. Some of the looks I would get from the guys after finally getting an oil change..... Anyway, we got new cars and have stuck to service schedules and use the dealers website to track everything. The apps tells us whats due and when and unsurprisingly in the last few years we have had FAR fewer calamities that cost huge tons of money as a result.

Jun 10, 2018
Cooking my own meals by a fucking gargantuan amount.

I was literally wasting an extra $200+ dollars per paycheck (so like $400-$600+ a month) eating out all the damn time. I never realized how wasteful I was with my money until I started cooking at home. Now that extra money is put towards my brokerage account + more important things I need.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I think at this point for me it's more about not buying stuff I don't need. A year into the pandemic and I've been forced to cook my own meals and stuff lol.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Really making an effort to cook. Over the past couple of years we've really focused on meal planning (not so much right now), and the pandemic helped a lot as well. Once you get into the hang of it and find some recipes you really like, you find there's almost no reason to go out.

Boondocks

Nov 30, 2020
NE Georgia USA
I do not have a dryer, I hang my clothes on a clothesline. Everything feels better and I do not have a higher electric bill running a dryer.
Also, putting LEDs in porch lights, etc.
I have a garden,-i pick lettuce, collards, broccoli; cabbage, and sweet peas during the cold months here in Georgia.
No Starbucks anywhere around,.I use Aldi's German coffee, put it in a nice thermos bottle, and sip on it all morning.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Cut my own hair for a decade (same $50 clipper set).

Coffee and Espresso machine - rarely go to a coffee shop now unless it's for ambiance or hanging out

Fizzi - I love sparkling water and rigged up the large c02 tank adapter. Cheap sparkling water and can add flavored syrup for pennies compared to buying them.

Weights on Craigslist - squat rack, barbell, 600lbs of weights and a bench for about $300 years ago. No gym membership.

Electric car - no more gas. Charging it costs me about $30 a month.

Clothing - companies like Patagonia will repair your clothes and help recycle them cheaply.

Bidet - barely use toilet paper.

Reusable baggies - better for the environment and just wash them.

Own repairs - I change brake pads, rotors and oil on our gas car, repair the furnace, do most of my own appliance repair etc, if it's not a major job, I can and will do it. Brakes and rotors alone was quoted at $900 and I did them in about 2 hours for $200.

Pellet smoker - I love bbq. I have taught myself to make great bbq and make things like 15lbs briskets at home. Costs $35 and is amazing food for over a week.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I don't drink caffeine(or flavored drinks for the most part), and I don't eat out. Cutting out snacking helped too, but going keto kinda balanced that one out and I'm trying to figure out my new balance now

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Living with my parents til I was 30.

Making lunches for work instead of buying.

Almost never eating takeout.

Not having any expensive vices, i.e. smoking/drinking.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I make all of my coffee at home in a French press. No filters. No run to Starbucks. And an entire press to myself is more than enough caffeine for even the worst work days. I end up hand-washing a few dishes on a daily basis anyways with how much cooking we do at home, so it's never dirty either.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Work from Home
Cut my own hair and beard
Eating at home (We stopped most fast food)

And our big one:

Sticking to our vehicles recommended service schedules. We are two people who just didn't do it. We drove our cars until catastrophe forced visits to the mechanic; we never voluntarily went. Some of the looks I would get from the guys after finally getting an oil change..... Anyway, we got new cars and have stuck to service schedules and use the dealers website to track everything. The apps tells us whats due and when and unsurprisingly in the last few years we have had FAR fewer calamities that cost huge tons of money as a result.
Back when I had a car I used to let EVERYTHING go until it was catastrophe time. If I ever buy one again I'll be on the maintenance schedule. Also, back then I was broke AF, so it's nice to have the cash to change the oil, tires, and other shit regularly.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Coffee Machine

At the beginning of the pandemic I was just buying cold brew coffee from the grocery store because it was still relatively cheap as:

1) I don't consider myself a big coffee drink
2) It was still much cheap buying this instead of buying coffee from Starbucks

It got to a point though where I decided to finally just dive in buy a coffee machine. I just wanted a basic one that could do the job reliably and not break (more complicated parts = higher chance of breaking). I just got the Amazon Basics one over the Mr Coffee and then I attached it to a smart plug so I could control the device on a schedule. This turned out to be a great purchase. I think the machine has already paid for itself throw buying cheap coffee.

To give an idea of how much coffee I've been drinking, one 12oz bag lasts me about a month I'd say?

Hair Clipper

Not much of an explanation needed here. I was doing this even pre-pandemic. It's still fine to get a fresh cut at the shop every once in a while, but this will do just fine and the savings here are obvious.

Uniqlo clothing

I love this place and I think their shirts are pretty high quality in my experience. I make sure to care for them properly and they still are still great even though they're stupid cheap. I've tried H&M shirts a long while back and that shit fell apart. The difference in quality is staggering. I also have bought WFH attire from here (joggers/sweat pants) and they are excellent.

Libby

Get a free library membership and connect your membership to this app. Free books/audiobooks (some with a week+ waiting cue though).

PS Plus+ Membership/Xbox Ultimate Game Pass/Epic Games Store (slickdeals.net)

This only works if you're like me and don't really buy games day 1 anymore. There are plenty that I was interested in, but never bought. I ended up getting games for free through PS Plus+/EGS (i.e. Shadow of the Colossus). I know PS Plus technically isn't free, but I only paid $30 on average per year. That's than $2.99 a month and well below .01% of my take home income... might as well be free.

Regarding Xbox Ultimate, I was able to use the $1 upgrade offer and stack that against 3 years of xbox live that I applied all at once. I believe the total cost game to like $100? So that's for 3 years of this service. Therefore, there's no need for me to buy games.

Whenever a monthly game pops, I usually see it on slickdeals.net, which reminds me to login to download.

Pre-gaming (drinks)

I live in Chicago. Going out especially downtown can be very expensive. Take the time to pre-game for a couple of hours before heading out and then make sure to consistently drink water while limiting yourself to just 1-2 drinks while you're out. It's taken some time, but I've been able to discipline myself to do this as I've gotten older.

There are other smaller things / very obvious things you can do to save money, but the items above have been pretty big for me. I never had any issues eating out too much so food hasn't really been a signfiicant cost.