• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Spaniard here, don't even fucking remind me

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
What? Are you sure you're replying to the correct person? I clearly identified myself as Norwegian, not British. Norway hasn't even been a British colony in the past, so why would I feel pride over their dumb election results?

Nah, what I was getting at is that the UK has a monarchy with a likeable transcendent figurehead at the top. That doesn't stop partisan politics from making absolutely terrible decisions and I don't see those citizens having much pride over these massive changes because the Queen is on the tele.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
With the lunacy of American democracy and the fact that things seem to be hurtling towards endless claims of fraud by all parties in the future, I think having an impartial overseerer is more relevant than ever.
There are many reasons that American democracy is lunatic; neglecting to have unelected, money-burning, divinely-appointed, inbred shitbirds squatting atop the thing is not among them.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
Nah, what I was getting at is that the UK has a monarchy with a likeable transcendent figurehead at the top. That doesn't stop partisan politics from making absolutely terrible decisions and I don't see those citizens having much pride over these massive changes because the Queen is on the tele.

My point isn't to feel pride over the choices made by the politicians. Why would you think I was saying that? I'm genuinely confused here.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
It's blowing my mind that (as far as I'm reading it) some of the defence of the monarchy seems to be that it helps prevent a slide into authoritarianism?

The UK is literally, right now, ruled by a bunch of chancers who are working against the national interest. At best, having a monarchy may have slowed this down.

In it's current state the monarchy is useless. If the queen ever actually used any of the powers she still has, then the monarchy as an institution would be (rightly) torn down. that just means she has to follow exactly what the ruling party want and never be seen to stand against it.

Having a monarch is of no benefit to the political process.

A prominent member of the royal family has very recently been reasonably linked to a global peadophile ring and his punishment is he is not allowed to do any batshit interviews anymore.

This excuse doesn't wash. The royal family enjoy all the trappings of wealth and that includes freedom for repercussions of their actions.

Yes they have problems brought on by their situation but so does everyone. However, if I was to take actions that make me effectively lose my job my whole family would fall into poverty. My employer wouldn't be forced to keep paying me while I slink into the background.
I've said this before, but preventing a slide into authoritarianism is less a defence of a monarchy (especially when an appointed head of state can serve in a similar manner) and more an argument against an elected head of state.

Simply put, an elected head of state is by definition a partisan figure - and given the state of modern politics, it is exceedingly likely that whoever controls the legislature will also have one of their own as head of state. Hence, this weakens the separation of powers required to keep a democracy stable.

As an example, if say, there's a BLM protest and the Conservative Party wants to send tanks in the street, then the likely President Boris will sign off without a second thought regardless of how illegal such an action may be as he's part of said party - whereas the chances that this occurs with any non-partisan head of state is (whilst not zero) dramatically lower.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
It always beggars belief.
"yes let's totally have a hereditary monarchy"
"Yes let's totally skip Charles because he is unpopular and go with the next generation instead"

plonkers. Just have an elected head of state.
well it may be to hint at his PR team that his popularity is not where it should be. So it may be best for him to step aside for another ruler.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Probably a lot of inertia too. After all removing a person who's written into the whole government system, even if they're effectively useless, is gonna be a lot of work.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
My point isn't to feel pride over the choices made by the politicians. Why would you think I was saying that? I'm genuinely confused here.

Because you stated:

Over these last few years, I've come to believe that many of the United States' problems might have been avoided if it was a monarchy (without getting rid of the office of the President, just to be clear). Right now, the most powerful person in that country is, by default, partisan. With how votes are divided, almost half of the country will feel as if the President does not represent them, and they will feel little to no attachment or pride in him/her. The only thing that might bind people together outside of the political party they support is the country itself, which is a nebulous concept that is swiftly losing its importance.

That's why I feel like the monarchy still serves a purpose. Here in Norway, the position of Prime Minister might change based on elections, but there's always, always a person at the very top, even if only ceremonially, that ascends politics and serves as someone everyone in the country can feel pride in. The position of King has little practical value in daily politics, but the value to the national image is vital.

This doesn't translate to reality as even countries with monarchy have not avoided problems such a national populism nor instilled some sense of unity over the appreciation of a national genetic oddity. Scotland is set to breakaway from the UK specifically because of the shit policies of hits political leaders, no one is talking about remaining in the Union because the Queen is so nice.

If the Queen served the purpose of instilling a sense of national pride then Bexit wouldn't have occurred.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
I've said this before, but preventing a slide into authoritarianism is less a defence of a monarchy (especially when an appointed head of state can serve in a similar manner) and more an argument against an elected head of state.

Simply put, an elected head of state is by definition a partisan figure - and given the state of modern politics, it is exceedingly likely that whoever controls the legislature will also have one of their own as head of state. Hence, this weakens the separation of powers required to keep a democracy stable.

As an example, if say, there's a BLM protest and the Conservative Party wants to send tanks in the street, then the likely President Boris will sign off without a second thought regardless of how illegal such an action may be as he's part of said party - whereas the chances that this occurs with any non-partisan head of state is (whilst not zero) dramatically lower.

For sure, that sounds reasonable but the queen doesn't serve that function, so I'm not sure why it keeps getting brought up here. The queen is never going to say no to anything brought to her because she invalidates her tenuous position if she does.

We can have an non- elected head of state who isn't part of an outdated system of class rule.

How you choose that person, I'm not sure but I for certain feel like there is a better system.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
It's blowing my mind that (as far as I'm reading it) some of the defence of the monarchy seems to be that it helps prevent a slide into authoritarianism?

The UK is literally, right now, ruled by a bunch of chancers who are working against the national interest. At best, having a monarchy may have slowed this down.

In it's current state the monarchy is useless. If the queen ever actually used any of the powers she still has, then the monarchy as an institution would be (rightly) torn down. that just means she has to follow exactly what the ruling party want and never be seen to stand against it.

Having a monarch is of no benefit to the political process.

In unprecedented times, it can stop that slide though. The Dutch queen Wilhelmina reportedly was the single barrier against a compromise with the German's in the second world war. All of the prime ministers during that period wanted to make a deal at one point.

The threat of a constitutional crisis was practically gone, and she had a lot of personal political capital that she could even excercise outside had she been removed as queen.

Being outside of the zeitgeist can be invaluable during a period of regression. A chosen president is still a product of his time and of the majority in parlement at that time. He also wouldn't have time to grow into a symbolic role per se.

In theory I'm a republican, but in practice I can see the value of having a mother or father figure during wars and natural disasters.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
While OP is questioning why some countries still have their monarchies, I am here wondering why US still uses imperial system.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
The only king I like is the Dragon King of Bhutan, who wears the Raven Crown.

King_Jigme_Khesar_Namgyel_Wangchuck_%28edit%29.jpg

BEHOLD THE DRAGON KING

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
In unprecedented times, it can stop that slide though. The Dutch queen Wilhelmina reportedly was the single barrier against a compromise with the German's in the second world war. All of the prime ministers during that period wanted to make a deal at one point.

The threat of a constitutional crisis was practically gone, and she had a lot of personal political capital that she could even excercise outside had she been removed as queen.

Being outside of the zeitgeist can be invaluable during a period of regression. A chosen president is still a product of his time and of the majority in parlement at that time. He also wouldn't have time to grow into a symbolic role per se.

In theory I'm a republican, but in practice I can see the value of having a mother or father figure during wars and natural disasters.

I don't totally disagree that they can be useful buffer but I also don't believe that there isn't a better system. The European Union is essentially a large scale project to reduce conflict.

I really think the continued presence of the UK royal family is one of inertia. If Britain is proving anything the last few years, it is is that is in love with a totally fictional recent past when Britain was great, no one questioned anything and everything stayed the same.

I suppose my issue is that relying on a Monarch to stop us sliding into authoritarianism is incredibly regressive. There have to be better systems in place that don't include providing unimaginable riches to one extended family. Especially when our the disparity between rich and poor is growing ever wider.

Oct 22, 2020
With the lunacy of American democracy and the fact that things seem to be hurtling towards endless claims of fraud by all parties in the future, I think having an impartial overseerer is more relevant than ever.
The UK royals aren't impartial. They're just good at playing impartial on TV. They can and have intervened on policy before, particularly with regard to their finances. They meet regularly with the PM to discuss the operations of the government, a luxury afforded to no regular UK citizen. It seems naïve to think those meetings have never had an impact on UK government policy.

With trust in democracy eroding around much of the world, who's to say a populace would side with their government over their monarch if a monarch overstepped? What if the monarch takes the morally correct stance and the government takes the immoral stance? (Not too hard to envision with someone like Johnson leading the UK.) Would the populace be justified in siding with the monarch at the expense of democracy? It's kind of a frightening scenario when you game it out a bit.

The UK monarch is de facto powerless but de jure powerful. Relying on precedent is dangerous. Charles is considerably more opinionated than his mother, and people in the UK should have some concern that he could push boundaries when he assumes the crown from her.

Oct 30, 2017
The UK royals aren't impartial. They're just good at playing impartial on TV. They can and have intervened on policy before, particularly with regard to their finances. They meet regularly with the PM to discuss the operations of the government, a luxury afforded to no regular UK citizen. It seems naïve to think those meetings have never had an impact on UK government policy.

With trust in democracy eroding around much of the world, who's to say a populace would side with their government over their monarch if a monarch overstepped? What if the monarch takes the morally correct stance and the government takes the immoral stance? (Not too hard to envision with someone like Johnson leading the UK.) Would the populace be justified in siding with the monarch at the expense of democracy? It's kind of a frightening scenario when you game it out a bit.

The UK monarch is de facto powerless but de jure powerful. Relying on precedent is dangerous. Charles is considerably more opinionated than his mother, and people in the UK should have some concern that he could push boundaries when he assumes the crown from her.

Sure, no one is actually impartial, that's true. From a Canadian perspective, if there was a constitutional crisis in Canada, say a military coup, then the British monarchy while not impartial is at least detached from the situation and could potentially be used to enforce that any legal shenanigans that would-be coup-ers used to legitimize their actions, were never actually signed in to law.

Oct 22, 2020
Sure, no one is actually impartial, that's true. From a Canadian perspective, if there was a constitutional crisis in Canada, say a military coup, then the British monarchy while not impartial is at least detached from the situation and could potentially be used to enforce that any legal shenanigans that would-be coup-ers used to legitimize their actions, were never actually signed in to law.
Yeah, I can't even begin to understand why the monarchy still exists in Canada, Australia, and NZ.

I recall seeing a statistic that Canadians actually pay more per capita than the British to support the monarchy.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
I mean there are still tribal chiefs in 2020. History is not an upward trajectory culminating in democratic utopia.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's like legacy code in software. Then you have new systems that rely on the old code and updating the old code means updating the new code and so on and on. Monarchism is just a holdover we haven't bothered changing because updating the code base feels like more trouble than it's worth.

// TODO: Remove the Monarchy

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Most modern royal families are excellent ambassadors for their countries and for charitable or otherwise worthy causes. Yeah it's shit they get so much money for being born into a privileged position but they also live a life of service, whether they want to or not. They're also nearly always under the scrutiny of the media which is an awful way for anyone to live.

I'm not saying they're massively essential or anything but they do still have roles to play, and generally they're an asset to their countries, especially diplomatically. King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima of the Netherlands visited Ireland last year and they signed a treaty of double taxation between the two countries, visited members of the Men's Shed organisation and similar initiatives and discussed the possibility of starting it in the Netherlands. They also met with Dutch emigrants who settled in Ireland. None of the above activities necessitated a monarch to perform them but they clearly are still useful for some roles.

In individual cases, these people might be alright, but at the end of the day, they are part of multinational criminal clan families who terrorized Europe for millenia.
I find it pretty weird the way we normalized 1000 years of crime, exploitation, murder, and oppression.

Zero remorse, zero self-awareness.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And media romanticizes the monarchy so you have people growing up with an attachment to "the royals", who then go on to vote to sustain "the royals". Ironically, revolutionary democracy overthrew the monarchy, but modern day democracy is now keeping it on life support.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of advantages to constitutional monarchies. The head of state being a powerless, non-partisan (in theory) figurehead is a feature, not a bug.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Someone once explained to me that it does have a positive unintended consequence of removing all the deference and ceremonial pomp and circumstance that would otherwise be placed on an elected official. From what I understand, in the UK, there's no deference due to the Prime Minster the way there is to the President of the US; he's just the head of government, not the head of state. In the US, since the President is also Head of State as well as Head of Government, there's a much greater aura of deference and ceremony placed on him that I think, in a healthier society, should rather be placed on a politically powerless, non-partisan figure.

The deference is taxpayers paying for the royal family to live a ridiculous lifestyle for no other reason then they were born to a certain family. The fact that the United States are fools about their own president really is neither here nor there.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
While OP is questioning why some countries still have their monarchies, I am here wondering why US still uses imperial system.

plays on words aside....

Had the French Revolution happened before the American Revolution (which is sort of ... impossible given the connection between the two, but let's pretend), then the US likely would have the metric system today. Americans in the colonies broke off from the European yolk about 20-30 years too early. The metric system is so obviously a more logical system of weights and measures, but its proliferation around the world has as much to do with 19th century European colonialism as it does the pure logic of the system.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I'd be okay with it in one specific circumstance, and that's if I were made the queen/king.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The irony here is that the average symbolic monarch in a western country has far less freedom than the average Joe Sixpack.
Is that really true, though? You trade your right to express your political opinion (not the right to practice it; and not all monarchs even bind themselves to this limitation to begin with), but you also gain a greater access to housing, healthcare, nutrition, education, security and safety. Among other services I don't really care to name, because you get the point. Even if all people are entitled to these same rights, not all people have equal access to them. A monarch gains far greater access to rights than they lose. So I would say that statement is misleading, at best.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Is that really true, though? You trade your right to express your political opinion (not the right to practice it; and not all monarchs even bind themselves to this limitation to begin with), but you also gain a greater access to housing, healthcare, nutrition, education, security and safety. Among other services I don't really care to name, because you get the point. Even if all people are entitled to these same rights, not all people have equal access to them. A monarch gains far greater access to rights than they lose. So I would say that statement is misleading, at best.

There's a difference between luxury and freedom. Yes, monarchs get access to all kinds of anemities, but at the same time it's not just their ability to express political opinions they agree to give up, it's also the right to... kind of live their life without every single misstep resulting in a thousand tabloid stories. You essentially live with the knowledge that you're under a gigantic microscope for the biggest part of your life and it's not just you they'll be judging but the institution of monarchy as a whole. That constriction's something our current king's probably lived with ever since his teens. It's quite a burden and it's not for everyone. Michelle Obama hated it and Barrack Obama joked that if the constitution didn't prevent him from seeking additional terms, it'd be the threat of her divorcing him.

Hwntw

Oct 27, 2017
A shame the one time we chopped our kings head off we replaced him with a puritan dictator
Who quickly replaced himself with a gorram military dictatorship. So much of the UK's parliamentary system arose from desperate situations that I think the beast is quite rightly sceptical about changing stuff for the sake of it. I'm not a monarchist, but cannot think of a worse replacement than a partisan head of state.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Who quickly replaced himself with a gorram military dictatorship. So much of the UK's parliamentary system arose from desperate situations that I think the beast is quite rightly sceptical about changing stuff for the sake of it. I'm not a monarchist, but cannot think of a worse replacement than a partisan head of state.

Not quite fair to Cromwell imo. There was a four year period between the execution of Charles I and Cromwell being installed as Lord Protector. Even after the Rump Parliament was dissolved the Barebones Parliament was called by Cromwell (on what constitutional authority? Just shrug and go with it) to try to figure out a new system of government. It was only after Barebones failed that John Lambert pulled out the Instrument of Government and installed Cromwell as Lord Protector. Of course then things went downhill, but I do think Cromwell wanted to avoid a military dictatorship in the first place.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
There's a difference between luxury and freedom. Yes, monarchs get access to all kinds of anemities, but at the same time it's not just their ability to express political opinions they agree to give up, it's also the right to... kind of live their life without every single misstep resulting in a thousand tabloid stories. You essentially live with the knowledge that you're under a gigantic microscope for the biggest part of your life and it's not just you they'll be judging but the institution of monarchy as a whole. That constriction's something our current king's probably lived with ever since his teens. It's quite a burden and it's not for everyone. Michelle Obama hated it and Barrack Obama joked that if the constitution didn't prevent him from seeking additional terms, it'd be the threat of her divorcing him.
I used the phrase "access to (rights)", because that is the literal definition applied in law. Depending on your country of residence, human rights are also divided into different tiers or sections. You don't necessarily have the right to a house, but you have the right to buy a house or to be protected from eviction. The average Joe is not, however, protected from eviction in all cases. Even though the average Joe has the right to (access) health, the average Joe does not necessarily have healthcare to begin with, and, if he does, his healthcare is not necessarily comparable to the healthcare enjoyed by monarchs.

These are basic human rights, not luxuries. Freedom is also a right according to the UN. But, once again, there is unequal access to this same right (by the way, equality is also a human right, but one that is clearly being enforced... unequally). So, to begin with, let's name a few rights that fall under your right to freedom:
  • Right not to be deprived of freedom
  • Freedom of expression
  • Freedom from violence (freedom from crime)
  • Freedom of trade
  • Freedom of movement
  • Freedom from human exploitation
  • Freedom of assembly
  • Right to privacy
  • Freedom of religion
  • Freedom of association
How many of these rights are monarchs deprived of? Expression? Their right to expression is only partially limited; and not all monarchs hold themselves to this same limitation in the first place. Privacy? To an extent. But not more than your standard celebrity might be deprived of this right, and, in a celebrity's case, this deprivation is not voluntary to begin with, nor does it come with perks.

By comparison, how many freedoms (and rights in general) is the average Joe deprived of? Not to be deprived of freedom arbitrarily (unjust police action)? Violence (not all people have the wealth necessary to access equal security)? Trade (hard to have the right to access any profession of your choosing when you can't afford it to begin with)? Human exploitation (monarchs have greater access to protection).

Monarchs trade in a few rights (limitations to rights, not the rights outright) for superior access to other rights. At the same time, the average Joe is deprived, involuntary, of his rights, either directly (in comparison to monarchs who enjoy greater protection against these direct deprivations of rights) or indirectly (by way of access). On the whole, monarchs gain far more than they lose. On the whole, the average Joe struggles to attain the rights they are entitled to far more than your average monarch might.

I don't deny that being a monarch comes with a burden. But let's not fool ourselves and believe that this burden is greater than that of starvation. Or assault. Or homelessness. Or uncleanliness. Or preventable sicknesses.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Our society has a problem of glorifying the pauper's condition. "You might be poor but you still have your health/family". Rather than try to pin down "freedom", I think it is simpler to illustrate that more "freedom" doesn't always make you happier, or is "better".

Would you rather be poor and free or rich and burdened with the affairs of state? I think most people, at all times in history, would choose to be a monarch, we fought a lot of wars over this. COVID has also shown that in tough environmental conditions, stability and restriction is typically preferable to instability and no restrictions.

I dislike the monarchy for mostly cultural reasons. They infect with and solidify among notions of class hierarchy in the populace.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Someone once explained to me that it does have a positive unintended consequence of removing all the deference and ceremonial pomp and circumstance that would otherwise be placed on an elected official. From what I understand, in the UK, there's no deference due to the Prime Minster the way there is to the President of the US; he's just the head of government, not the head of state. In the US, since the President is also Head of State as well as Head of Government, there's a much greater aura of deference and ceremony placed on him that I think, in a healthier society, should rather be placed on a politically powerless, non-partisan figure.
Considering the state of the UK, I don't think that the difference is worth all that much, tbh.

abstemious

Oct 28, 2017
But do you have to pay to protect ex-Primer Ministers? tone: sincere

it might have changed now, but ex PMs didn't used to have any security really. I used to fairly regularly bump into John Major in the supermarket when I worked in the area he lived in. He never seemed to have any security with him.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

There's actually an interesting story about that. There was a government agency created to transition to the metric system, but it had no real power and as a result of years of no progress was shut down by the Regan administration. Their only notable success was a single highway sign on the border of Mexico and Arizona that's in metric. We do technically use metric in a lot of official capacity, but it's not really common for the average person who doesn't work for the government, military, or a scientific field.

There's a lot of advantages to constitutional monarchies. The head of state being a powerless, non-partisan (in theory) figurehead is a feature, not a bug.

I'm still waiting on someone to explain their logic behind these statements. Cuz so far constitutional monarchies sound no better than a modern democracy.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
The UK Royals ain't got nothing on Hans Adam of Liechtenstein - he actually has the power to appoint judges, dismiss ministers or government, veto laws, or call referendums. And he's the richest monarch in all of Europe.

But he also lives in a country where they charge 20 Euros for a basic salmon roll, so I guess it's got its downsides. lol

Kinda glad Prince Charles didn't get those sorts of powers, especially after watching the Crown.