• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
latest

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
Megaman killer dialogue:

What zero is fighting for:

Doctor Waa wee

Jetsun Mila

Apr 7, 2021
MUTTON FRESH MUTTON

(Tales of Xillia, where you have usual indiscernable background chatter in the cities except one guy who yells that. In every city.)

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the original line in Japanese "women are weak but moms are tough" or was I lied to?

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I've kinda always been surprised that this line was meme-ified into the stratosphere.

Isn't it barely a half-step away from the "Mama Bear" idioms that Americans use? Like the idea that you never get between a mother and her child?

Also, isn't some flavor of "moms are tough" a Japanese idiom?

It all just seemed so innocuous to me.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've kinda always been surprised that this line was meme-ified into the stratosphere.

Isn't it barely a half-step away from the "Mama Bear" idioms that Americans use? Like the idea that you never get between a mother and her child?

I see the reception as more endearing.

Like it's a silly line, but it's good silly.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017

I totally did not have the context for this line when I first played FF13. When I actually encountered it in game, I was like "Wait, THIS is where that meme came from?" It wasn't even delivered with any kind of silliness.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

It's just funny because she dies like seconds later lol

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
I totally did not have the context for this line when I first played FF13. When I actually encountered it in game, I was like "Wait, THIS is where that meme came from?" It wasn't even delivered with any kind of silliness.

I always just chalked it up to people wanting to find an easy excuse to rip on 13. She dies a little bit later, but like, the whole point of the scene is that they're not movie stars, since the scene starts with Snow completely fucking it up cause he's a dumbass.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

People definitely over-reacted, but it is still a somewhat memorable line beyond the meme interest.

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
People definitely over-reacted, but it is still a somewhat memorable line beyond the meme interest.

It would be somewhat bearable if she said it only once, but she had to repeat that dumb line as if it was great writing, that's what pushed it too far for me. Also the line was a great introduction to the incredibly shitty writing of FF13 as a whole, at that point I knew what I would have to suffer through.
I hated every single character in that game as soon as they opened their mouth.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I love that line. That mother picked up a gun and shot people to protect her kid. Moms ARE tough.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
There's another one in FFXIII that really cemented to me the writers had no real life experience and were just word salad'ing things they heard in various shounen anime:

Hope: As long as it's us making the decision, even if it's the wrong one, then we'll have no regrets.

Actually, it is precisely when you have control over the decision and it's wrong that you should have regrets. I mean I get it, this is supposed to be a statement against fate, but it's such an incredibly dumb way of articulating it.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Part of me hates that the remaster kind of "fixed this line but in the originaL Nier old man Nier says "Yes we are friends now!" always cracks me up. Clearly a line written for a younger protagonist not a 40 year old man.