• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
DKy42JL.jpg

Peco from Breath of Fire III. With a few extremely easy steps, he becomes the most power character in the game.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

Breath of Fire V spoilers:

Persistent is the word.
Basically gets defeated loads and keeps coming back each time (first two battles are easy). Then ends up being the final boss of the game and incredibly powerful.

Polaris

Oct 29, 2017
Twin Cities, Minnesota
Pico in Breath of Fire III if you link him to the right trainer becomes very OP.

This was going to be my pick (big surprise, huh?).

I starts out at level 1, he is the slowest character in the game, and has extremely limited equipment selection. But my God, apprentice him under Fahl and put him in the lead point in Attack Formation and watch him just wipe enemies and simultaneously tank for your team.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah like others said, this is basically Selphie Tilmitt the thread.

Open the disc tray on your Playstation and she is now God of whatever she's fighting, as you literally can just sit there and roll Slots until The End procs and then close the tray and select it.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
m8VG39R.jpg

Citan Uzuki in Xenogears. He's introduced as the erudite doctor trope, so you assume he's going to serve as the party's resident healer. And yeah, he does have a number of quite frankly indispensible healing abilities that are real life savers. But then you discover that despite his fair looks and lean physique, he hits like a fricking truck. And has higher HP and defense than the main character. And then he gets a giant robot that does the same thing. And then half way through the game, they give him a goddamn sword and he starts blowing up the screen with his ridiculous ether attacks.

He's just the complete package.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
m8VG39R.jpg

Citan Uzuki in Xenogears. He's introduced as the erudite doctor trope, so you assume he's going to serve as the party's resident healer. And yeah, he does have a number of quite frankly indispensible healing abilities that are real life savers. But then you discover that despite his fair looks and lean physique, he hits like a fricking truck. And has higher HP and defense than the main character. And then he gets a giant robot that does the same thing. And then half way through the game, they give him a goddamn sword and he starts blowing up the screen with his ridiculous ether attacks.

Citan was busted from day one though, he just becomes more busted when he has the sword.

The only characters that even approach him are ether spammin' Elly and Fei after Kokei (once he gets Yamikei he's better than Citan and everyone else by a lot lol).

There is however an Uzuki this does apply to, and that's Shion. She's super mediocre in every XS game UNTIL she gets Erde Kaiser, then proceeds to one-shot everything in the game damn near.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
m8VG39R.jpg

Citan was broke as fuck though lol. From jump street.

Like, you have to be Fei with his endgame Deathblows to be more busted. Fei is stupid OP once you have said Deathblows (like, one shot Gears on foot like he's Grahf OP) but until then Citan is the king.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
When I read the title, I immediately thought of Donnel from awakening like others, but it doesn't really fit the theme.

You have to know donnel is OP before hand to ever get to the point where he is a walking god otherwise no player would have bothered with him in the first place. You get him far enough into the game where ignoring that level 1 dude is an easy choice, and since he starts at lvl 1, it requires careful nursing and xp baiting to level him. The game doesn't tell you character stat growths, so unless you paid attention, you wouldn't know what he is capable of without hours of investment. Again, that's not something you just discover, like an OP move on an otherwise bland character.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
When Magikarp was my last pokemon and he had to win the fight.

I lost. Because he SUCKS

Last edited:

Geeker

May 11, 2019
Sorcerer in diabolo. Feels very weak versus the other classes until you get your spells up an running

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Sorcerer in diabolo. Feels very weak versus the other classes until you get your spells up an running

you reminded me of Mordecai in BL1

he's not bad per se, but none of his skills are particularly amazing for a good while, its a very slow start

but then you start going down the trees and getting near caps, and then you can get trespasser
ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh baby
it's game over for everyone else

OP
OP
Layell

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
what's so good about venomoth

In Twitch Plays Pokemon, the Venomoth became OP against Dragonite.

The opponent will always use a "Super Effective" move against you, but for Dragonite, agility, a non-damaging move is "Super Effective" against Venomoth. This allowed the Venomoth to slowly murder Lance's strongest mon.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
I would say Helena in Resident Evil 6. When I first saw her in the trailers, I thought she'd be largely ineffectual, but she proved to be tough and resilient and aside from her aloofness at the beginning, she doesn't do anything to get herself into danger or jeopardize the mission (unlike Ada, Jill and Claire, who get into mishaps in a lot of the games they star in).
She literally tries to use her body to block a BOW from being shot. She very directly puts herself in danger, lol.

My answer goes to Edward in FFIV, but only the PSP and GBA releases where you can have him in the final dungeon. Wimpy little bard turns into possibly the best character in the game with some levels.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Can't be underlined enough just how hilariously broken Peco can be made in Breath of Fire III.

Even though she's only a temporary party member that starts at level 1 early on in Earthbound Beginnings, Pippi's attack stat gains upon leveling up are positively monstrous compared to Ninten's at the point in the game, to the point that she'll get close to one or two shotting enemies. Leveling her up a bit makes it easier to grind levels for Ninten early on.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
rolf.jpg

Rolf from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. He starts as a recruit archer with low stats, with his mentor Shinon being an advanced "Sniper" class with absurd stats. But their starting stats are a trap.

If you feed Rolf XP in his earliest levels and keep him alive, he'll be stronger than Shinon can ever be before he's even promoted. Rolf's stat growth rates are great and Shinon's are pathetic.
bc23f04f045b2438a1df7e8e8ca1e00a.jpg

Fortunately in Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, the sequel, they're a lot more equal. 'Cause gosh, Shinon is cool af.

Tricks like this are a common thing in Fire Emblem and it's part of what makes them so fun to play.
Sherry the mouse in Ultima 6 starts at a lower level than anyone else, but this means she can earn more stat points then anyone else and turns into a monster later on.

And yes, she's a literal tiny mouse that you can equip with platemail and a halberd.

s10Z4Hj.png

See that tiny little brown thing behind the rest of the party next to the flowers, that's Sherry.
omg Ultima 6 is amazing

This rules!

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
She literally tries to use her body to block a BOW from being shot. She very directly puts herself in danger, lol.

I don't think that counts at all. RE6 is riddled with moments when they're near BOWs or villains that can wreck them at a moment's notice. Helena's disbelief lasts seconds and has no plot implications at all.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Final Fantasy Tactics A2 is in many ways a terribly unbalanced but really fun game. The biggest gamebreaker might be this guy:

Seeq in general come across as joke characters and their Ranger class doubly so. But these guys can learn the Mirror Items skill, which reverses the effects of any item they use. Combine them with a Green Mage to increase their accuracy and have fun throwing around Phoenix Downs that cause instant death with 70 percent accuracy. Or just have them learn Item Lore, which doubles the effectiveness of potions and have them throw around Hi-Potions that deal 400 damage, which is more than most enemies' health total.

The game had quite a few of these odd classes actually. Bangaa Tricksters, which looked oddly futuristic and had skills called Charisma, Traumatize and Suggestion. Or Moogle Tinkers, whose weapons were a literal coin toss because they had a 50 percent chance of hitting the enemy and 50 percent chance of hitting party members.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Another fun one was finding out that you can stun the chainsaw ladies in RE4 (I think I learned it in a written guide from way back), which meant Hunk can literally just go through the entire village level of Mercenaries, shoot a target in the head with a single TMP bullet and then go and break their neck and just rinse and repeat for the whole thing was also really, really good as well. The part that makes him suck normally is that he doesn't have an actual melee weapon, and is only armed with a TMP and Grenades, which is uhh...not great.

Yes, Hunk is a beast.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017

If you're like most people playing 13 Sentinels, you probably just turret camped to victory most of the time, or used the massive bomb attacks.

I'm here to tell you that Nenji Ogata looks like a poser, acts like a poser, and starts out weak, but by the end game is basically one punch man.

After realizing that I couldn't just missile and turret spam the last real boss unit, I just sent Ogata in to punch the boss to death

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Melia in Xenoblade, at first when you recruit her she is shit, but when she lears all of her magic hoo boy she is a killing machine.
Yep, first one that came to mind. AI is terrible with her, and if you don't know how to use her, she seems so fragile and weak. I know that any character can be broken with the right skill links, gear, gems, arts, etc., but for me, she was the most dramatically different from my first impression. Really fun to play too compared to the others.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I thought Selphie from FF8 was weak until you realize she literally has the ability to instantly kill any enemy in the game with her Limit Break called "The End"

maxresdefault.jpg

When you think about it she's literally the strongest person in the Final Fantasy series

skip to 2:30

Lol

It's only fair. Replaying on PC and there was a Leguna but on disk 3. I'm wayyy overleveled due to PC 3X battle speed. My magic got shuffled from all of the switches and I was dicking around in draw and bam a regular infantry enemy casts death on Leguna. Other characters can't revive and I can't flee and boom game over.

ZeroHunter

Aug 6, 2020
Hilda! Hilda!

latest

Fire Emblem: Three Houses

To be fair, basically everyone in that game is a beast unless you're playing on the harder difficulty modes. Hilda stands out because her personality type is "I'm lazy, I don't wanna put in effort" then single-handedly demolishes entire armies.

Lol beat me to the punch and 100% agree. She's like two different people between the monastery and the battlefield, hence the appropriate nickname "Killda".

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
In Age of Calamity, it came down to me playing as Mipha having to beat the last boss without getting hit. By some miracle I managed to do it, and now Mipha is my queen.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020

If you're like most people playing 13 Sentinels, you probably just turret camped to victory most of the time, or used the massive bomb attacks.

I'm here to tell you that Nenji Ogata looks like a poser, acts like a poser, and starts out weak, but by the end game is basically one punch man.
His double hitting Demolisher Blade is quite strong yes

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
Dr. motherf***in' Bosconovitch

Moment was my brother wave dashing through my fucking nightmares...

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
You pick Emily up below a restaurant from arm wrestling in Suikoden 3 who would've thought she'd be one of the necessary members that could one turn the final boss with another op character

Nei

A lot of ppl write the trio she belongs to off because they're a bunch of circus performers be she holds one of the strongest runes in the game and level her up right and put her in a party of physical characters and the game is a breeze

At first glance you wouldn't believe she's one of the highest damage dealers in the game 😂

Oct 27, 2017
Hilda! Hilda!

latest

To be fair, basically everyone in that game is a beast unless you're playing on the harder difficulty modes. Hilda stands out because her personality type is "I'm lazy, I don't wanna put in effort" then single-handedly demolishes entire armies.
Hilda was never weak. She was wrecking from the start. She was always on my frontline!

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Hilda! Hilda!

latest

In Japanese media, it is always safe to bet that the lazy characters are secretly badass unless they are Neets.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
rolf.jpg

Rolf from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. He starts as a recruit archer with low stats, with his mentor Shinon being an advanced "Sniper" class with absurd stats. But their starting stats are a trap.

If you feed Rolf XP in his earliest levels and keep him alive, he'll be stronger than Shinon can ever be before he's even promoted. Rolf's stat growth rates are great and Shinon's are pathetic.
bc23f04f045b2438a1df7e8e8ca1e00a.jpg

Fortunately in Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, the sequel, they're a lot more equal. 'Cause gosh, Shinon is cool af.

Tricks like this are a common thing in Fire Emblem and it's part of what makes them so fun to play.

omg Ultima 6 is amazing

This rules!

Rolf got some absolutety nasty defense growths for me during my playthrough of Path of Radiance to the point where things would ping him for no damage. It was disgusting.

Willin

Oct 28, 2017
The girl who refuses to leave her room and has a panic attack at the mere thought of socializing can do this:

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
i remember trying my best to level up this guy when i was a kid hoping he'd turn into some absolute OP monster... and... no

542063-jogurt_face.gif
That reminds me.

I2Aziql.jpg

Look at this magnificent bastard - Goddo Hando knows what it means, I know what it means. He's Arthur.
For those that don't know who Arthur is, let's just explain it.

When you meet him, he's busy doing the washing. That's right, washing clothes for a bunch of magicians in a city of magicians. Not only that, he's completely burnt out from fighting.
Of course, he winds up joining your party anyway - and he's completely trash. He's terrible. He's the worst Knight you have in your party up to that point. And he barely gets any stats as he levels up.

So of course, he becomes god tier by the time he's around level 16-20 unpromoted - that's a bit past half-way through the game by that point, you get him near the start of the game, and he's complete and utter trash for the entire time before that.
Oh, and then you notice he randomly gains MP around level 11-12. That's weird. Then he learns Blaze 1 - which's honestly pretty trashy.
Then you keep grinding him, his stats keep rising stratospherically, sure, there's a bump after he level caps at 20 and you promote him - and he has the same slow stat growth from 1 to 12-15 again, but his carryover stats are so incredible that he's still one of the best Knights in the party.
Oh right, then he learns Freeze 1 - big whoop.

And then he learns Bolt 1. For those of you totally unfamiliar with the Shining series, Bolt 1 is a great spell to have. MP efficient, area of effect attack, not much resists it.
And it's on one of the tankiest most mobile members of the party.
And even though his MP pool is crap, he can basically roll up, Bolt a group of enemies, other party members pick them off, then keep rolling forward like a goddamn truck.

Arthur is so insanely broken if you keep persisting with levelling him, he's basically much more broken than Guntz. Guntz is literally an Armadillo driving a steam-powered tank Knight suit - that one's hard to explain, and completely breaks the game in his own right.

Arthur is one of the most insanely broken video game characters in history, and his initial starting sprite is a bog standard NPC sprite. And he's busy washing the underwear of a bunch of old mages before you meet him.
Let him inspire you all.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hate to be a downer but Donnel only "gets good" because you need to dump literally 20 levels worth of EXP to get a decent return. And any character becomes a God when you do that

As far as "zero to hero" Fire Emblem units go, he's relatively one of the worst