• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is, perhaps, the most frustrating moment any gamer can have: lose your entire progress and have to start all over again. It can be really difficult to start from scratch if you lose a save from a RPG, for example, you have to grind, buy weapons, set up characters... all over again. When this happens to me, I have to force myself to re-do what I did it before.

This happened to me many times, I'm not the luckiest guy in the world, lol. These are games where I lost my save, many of them I never tried replaying it.

- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. (PC)

I lost my save after finishing Tatooine and in the midst of Kashyykk. If someone have a save state after Dantooine, I would love to replay it at least from that moment of the game.

- Final Fantasy III/VI (SNES)

Lost my save nearly the end of the first half of the game but I did again and finished. But it took years for me to have courage to start all over again.

- Pokémon Platinum

My save got corrupted around Snowpoint City. Never had the patience to start it again - and was the last mainline Pokémon I played. Yes, it was truly frustrating because I was really enjoying it.

- Breath of Fire (SNES)

My cart fell into the floor and broke, couldn't repair it. I was at the sea city, shortly after your ship sinked.

- Final Fantasy IX

My PSX memory card suddenly gone with all my save states. I got stuck in a forest with mirage paths.

- Final Fantasy X

Lost my PS2 memory card when I travelled. I was in the moment Yuna is dressed as a bride and your party is going rescue.

- Kingdom Hearts

Another casualty - thanks memory card. I was in the Hollow Bastion.

- Onimusha 2

One more casualty. Can't remember where I was now.

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Galaxy, I was maybe...12ish hours into the game? And then my sister (kid sister at the time) deleted my safe. Never touched the game again even though I was loving it.

Oct 27, 2017
Person 3 when I was playing on a ps3 with bc and the systems went down for that apocalypse thing and deleted all my saves. I just gave up, I was close to the end too

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a Kid I accidentally erased my memory card somehow just as I was getting out of Midgar in FF7.

Never bothered going back.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Phantasy Star II (Genesis)

I was playing the Steam release, and I'd just completed the first dungeon without the use of a guide. A combination of Sega's shoddy emulation efforts and an unfortunate mishap with my cloud saves caused my save file to revert back to a past version. I think that's probably the most devastated I ever was to have lost progress in a game.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Banjo Kazooie - played on emulator, completed about 70% then the emulator just stopped working on it after a certain section so just stopped

Far Cry 2/Assassin's Creed 2 - I was like 80% towards the finish line on PC and then the save game got corrupted. I ain't gonna start again, son

Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion - just lose interest due to the lack of focus, did complete the Shivering Isle expansion at least, but in the main game quest, the gates of oblivion is still open with me the savior not even bothering.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
This has never happened to me. In terms of losing a save.

Tho I guess a similar case is Twilight Princess where I got to the final "dungeon". Didnt lose my save rather I put the game down cause summer vacation was over and never came back to it lol. I was enjoying it too. Tho I did lose my GameCube memory card, eventually started over and again I left off at the final Dungeon because I started playing something else lol.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Grow Home was one of the most chill games I played this generation... until the game crashed and completely wiped my save data and there wasn't anyway for me to fix it. It was a common error they fixed afaik

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
My HP gaming laptop overheated and killed itself back when I first played Dragon Age Origins. This was pre-Origin and cloud save. I lost everything, I was a good 10 to 20 hours in. It took me 2 years before I finally started over and played it so I'd have a save file for DA2. But I guess that doesn't count since I did play it...

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
That Viewtiful Joe PS2 demo erased both of my memory cards. I almost gave up on gaming completely that day. LOL

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Fallout New Vegas on PS3. I was probably 20+ hours in and my save file stopped loading properly. Finally played through to the end on PC last year.

Borderlands on PS3. I was pretty far into this as well and my save file got corrupted. I tried it again on PC a couple years ago, but then got bored of it and still never beat it.

Käebi

Mar 12, 2019
Metal Gear Solid 3. I was Making my way through the collection, but after losing my save file two times! I lost interest and just continued with 4. I know it's a good game, but I just can't anymore.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Flood level in Halo 1 (og xbox) and more recently Darksiders 2 Deathinitive Edition (which was a replay anyway as I finished vanilla) near the end are the two I even remember in all these years of gaming so not too bad.

FatherEarth

Oct 27, 2017
When I was a young teenager, early 2000s, I was playing through the first Xenosaga. I was loving the game and was about 20 hours in. My brother let his friend borrow the memory card. That friend deleted my save file. I never figured out why. I was so upset, but didn't want to go through everything again.

Enough time has passed now that I would probably enjoy playing again.

MontlyCure

Oct 27, 2017
FL
Was right near the end of Dark Souls 3. 45 hours in. Had to reformat the SSD that had the save on it and lost it. Learned the hard way that Dark Souls 3 does not support cloud saves on Steam.

Raxgriz

Oct 27, 2017
I lost the save of trails of the sky 2nd at the last dungeon.

So i watch the ending on youtube

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Most traumatic memories:

- Pokémon Yellow, with 138 'mons caught (turned my GBC on one day and received the dreadful "save file corrupted" message);
- Majora's Mask, at the Great Bay dungeon, with most of the notebook completed (dad tripped on the N64's power cable during an owl statue save).

Never played those games again.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
My 3DS SD card crapped out and corrupted, taking my Fantasy Life save file with it. I never went back to it.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Donkey Kong 64. Was up to Krusher K Rool, struggled on the boss and next time I checked my save was gone. Think my brother wiped it. Been meaning to go back I really enjoyed DK64 unlike some.

I am attempting this one but Planescape Torment. The modded version to make it playable got to a certain point then would crash on a critical area. Can't remember how far I was but I think I had only 1 NPC left to recruit. So I followed the guidelines to uninstall the mod in hopes the original install would let me get past this area then I would reinstall it again. The mod was for things like magic causing the game to crash and such and this crash was literally walking on a certain piece of the floor not sure if it was trying to trigger a script.

Well uninstalling the mod the saves became incompatible, then reinstalling the mod the saves got wiped over. Was like 40 hours of gameplay just gone. Now I own it on like 3 different platforms lol. Play on mobile then export the save and continue on PC making my way back through slowly.

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Not really, but with Mario 64 I had all 120 Stars, then my little sibling deleted all save files. Never touched it again.

MC_Leon6494

Sep 7, 2018
Everything that was on my PS3 when it got the Yellow Light of Death. It was an original 60GB model. Lost an FF7 save at the beginning of disc 3, MGS, FFIX on disc 2, Infamous 2, and some other stuff. I also lost a 60-70 hr Witcher 3 save from hard drive failure in my laptop. I did come back around for that but it took like 6 months for me to return to the game and start anew.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I remember my sister accidentally deleting my FF7 save...twice. First time I was at the end of the Shinra building, second time at the two headed dragon in the ice cave. I didn't finish the game until years later.

Oct 27, 2017
My platinum run on the original Dead Space. I unlocked the hardest difficulty, only to accidentally erase the save, meaning I'll have to play it an extra time to get back where I was.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Final Fantasy X (PS Vita version)

My memory card got corrupted, and I lost all my saves. I also didn't had PS+ at that time so it wasn't saved in the cloud either.

And as much as I liked the game, it occasionally became a real slog to get where I was, so I just lost all interest in going trough all that again.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
I let my friend start a new game of BotW on my switch, it wiped my save and I had to start all over again.

And I remember saving over my file that was right before the last boss in Secret of Mana when I was a kid, before I had beat it. That one really hurt..

Klart

Jan 23, 2019
Resident Evil 5

I was loving this game and on my way to Platinum & then my PS3 died...

Oct 27, 2017
Human Fall Flat. My son and I had worked our way through almost to the end and then it threw up an error when exiting the game, when we loaded back in the save file was wiped. I didn't have a cloud save, so my son and I, over the course of a few weeks made our way back to where we had been before and this time completed it, phew.

And then we decided to go back to hoover up some of the trophies on some specific levels and it crashed again and again wiped the save and the cloud save I had been uploading wasn't up to date (my fault) and neither of us had the heart to go back through it to the level we wanted.

So I deleted it.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
KOTOR 2 (PC)
This was years after it released and had the fan patch and restoration mod available so I thought I'd be safe.
20 HOURS into the game I hit a game breaking bug that wouldn't let me leave the planet I had just finished. I think I'd just found the last piece of HK-47 too, which I was excited about.
I already wasn't enjoying the game that much (I'm a much bigger fan of KOTOR 1), so no way in hell was I about to replay half the damn thing again.

Batman: Arkham Origins
The game autosaved in a room that hadn't loaded the floor and walls, so every time I loaded I'd fall through the world forever. The game only has ONE save and it's the autosaved so I was screwed.
I was about 5-6 hours in so I did end up replaying it, on PC I could manually backup the saves as a precaution.

What the Golf?
I tried this out on Apple Arcade right when it launched and really liked it. Charming, funny, and fun. Got pretty far in my first time playing and then I set it down.
Turns out the game hadn't saved any of my progress so I had to replay a lot to get back to where I was before.
I lost interest soon after catching up and dropped it.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I lost my ME 1+2 save weeks before 3 released, but I didn't give up, just played through again.

If that happened now, I'd definitely bail.

Wolfman.JD

Nov 24, 2017
Lost my Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. (PC) save as well.
Dantooine, I saved it, left for a day came back and it wouldn't load any of my saves. After the trouble getting the game to work properly in the first place I just felt defeated.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Lost my MGS V save, had the EU version then sold it after I got the PS+ version in BR. Booted up the game, it said "importing save" then "complete" then I just quit. Months later I came back to play some more and realized I was on mission 15 or so instead of 52. No way I am replaying 37 missions. I could always get a complete save file and just replay from where I stopped but I am just too pissed to do that. I wonder if my EU save file is still fine but I am not paying money to find out.

on the other hand I played through Burnout Paradise 3 times because one time my save file corrupted and one time they resetted everyone's progress because they added too much things in the DLC. Awesome game.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of, is there some kind of save file database on the internet? My PS4 restarted a few times too many on its own and I had to wipe it clean losing all my Metro Exodus progress. I was loving that game but I just don't have the time to redo it all, with all the other stuff that's coming out.

Edit: haven't taken a real look at it yet, but I may just have found something that can help me and maybe others?

Edit 2: that seems to be trophy oriented? But if it can unlock all chapters, I can just start from where I was, so I'm cool with that!

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Final Fantasy XII PS2.

I was somewhere near the end.

I have it on Switch now, years later, and will hopefully find the time to try again. I really couldn't be bothered at the time.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Baldurs gate 2. Lost my save just when you get out of underdark. 110 hours.

Took me years to get over it and to replay it. I was heavy into the roleplay aspect so while I was able to complete the game years later my original character was forever lost.

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
The only time I lost my saves was when my PS3 got the yellow light, I was going for the FF13 platinum and was farming the items for the final weapons. I ended up not going back, but I had finished the story.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
I lost a 100+ hr, endgame save file for Rogue Galaxy because lightning struck when the game was saving at like 90%.

I almost went nuclear.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I didn't lose my whole save file, but both Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks and Pokemon Y I dropped after accidentally ejecting the cartridge in my DS while it was in sleep mode and losing a fair amount of progress.

That was mostly just an excuse to quit though, I would have just replayed those sections for most games, but I was hating my time with both of those.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
There is a bug in Dragon Age Inquisition that makes Leliana disappear from the game if you make a decision on the mission of Iron Bull, I realized four hours later that the only way to fix it was to load a previous save, I left the game.

Oct 27, 2017
I made it probably half way through Psychonauts on PS2 before my save corrupted. I couldn't be bothered to replay it so I've never seen the supposed best parts of the game. Didn't reach the milk man level.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
The Gardens Between.. played like an hour before closing it, came back to it couple days later and there's no continue option on the main menu! Apparently, It doesn't have an auto-save smh

Onikage

Feb 21, 2018
My save got corrupted in the middle of Heavy Rain...

It is Heavy Rain we are talking about... I would not brush my teeth, drink coffee and scream "Jason!" all over again.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Lost odyssey. I was 3/4 of the way through and my save files were corrupted. I never had the heart to tread through all that again