• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
The most recent game to make me get really emotional was NieR: Automata.

Struggling against the final boss of the game with the game asking me questions like "will you give up?", "is it all pointless" or "are games just silly little things?" as the amazing music and vocals swell up legit had me weeping, which only got worse as I realized how other people were offering to help me, sacrificing themselves in the process.

So freaking good, man.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Probably alone in this, but I got misty-eyed at the end of Super Mario Galaxy. Not because the game was sad, but because it made me appreciate for the first time in years why I played video games—pure fun and escapism.

Other than that, never have.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Mother 3: full on sobbed at the ending. I was playing it on a tiny GBA Micro at the time and my GF didn't know why I was sitting in the dark at 2am sniffling.

Chrono Cross: true ending/true final battle had me weeping, mainly because of how important Chrono Trigger is to me. Seeing that character again, learning of their significance to everything that happened in both games and trying to save them...

Red Dead Redemption 2: Arthur Morgan's final remarks. And when he says "thank you", I couldn't hold back the tears.

Spider-Man (PS4): Peter's decision. That entire scene, especially
"let me see my nephew"
ughhhh. The tears.

During the battle with Miquel in Chrono Cross when this track kicks in

It's been way too long since I played this but the combination of Miquels fate and that somber tune made me tear up.

Another great Chrono Cross moment, wow. Glenn is such a great character and that battle was quite challenging. Excellent pick here.

SuperMario

Oct 28, 2017
I get teary eyed rather easily with good fiction, and videogames are no exception, but I cried UGLY with some like FFIX (I have a soft spot for Vivi), FFVII: Crisis Core (that ending), FFXV (Campfire scene & ending), Spider-Man (yeah, THAT one scene) and more recently Death Stranding, but this was different, more of a happy/relief cry.

Videogames are awesome.

TheAndyMan

Banned
Feb 11, 2019
Utah
That part in MGSV, Mission 43, after Venom has shot multiple men of his to contain the outbreak and then they start saluting you while the Peace Walker theme plays. [/QUOTE]

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I don't think I have ever cried from a story beat in a game but I did feel the heartstrings tug a little bit during the final boss of Undertale. But I didn't cry, just was like, "aww, that's nice."

atlans89

Oct 25, 2017
Most dramatic scenes in JRPG failed to do this to me with some few exceptions. The latest did this to me was Utawarerumono.

In Mask of Deception:
The last moment of Oshtor when he used up his life force to save Nekone and Haku, the moment Haku took on Oshtor's mask and officially "killed" himself and the post-credits where Kuon broke down in her foster father/uncle Oboro's arm realizing she did love Haku
This hit me hard due to a lot of slice-of-life moments built up prior and forced me to realize, damn those peaceful moments are really gone and won't come back anymore.

Mask of Truth
The moment Oshtor's mom said she was happy she had two sons, the last moment of Haku when he acted in same way as Oshtor and his final speech to his comrade when they realized the truth

There are a lot of games that had me shook, teary and/or very emotional. But from the top of my head, the most fitting example might be Celest's story DLC last year.
I already appriciated the main story a lot and the Goodbye DLC is a very good continuation. I could understand Madeline so well. At the very end, when she chats with Theo, it kinda hit a sweet spot and I started crying really hard from one sec to another.

Tolby

Sep 24, 2019
Eastern Europe
The last time it happened was from a cute little free RPGmaker game called Grimm's Hollow.
capsule_616x353.jpg

I could relate to the story and one of its ending too much.

Norsuchamp

Feb 6, 2020
Ending of FFIX. When you realize who is doing the post mortem monologue... hits me every time. Also the cheesy romantic ending of Zidane and Dagger always brings tears of joy to my eyes.

Egrimal

Oct 27, 2017
Aberdeen, Scotland
Started playing the last of us remastered with my wife last month as she'd not seen it and I was in floods of tears at the start.
The scene where Sarah is dying in Joel's arms brought me to tears. First time I played it I thought it was sad but didn't move me as much but since becoming a father that really triggered off some parental emotions!

it really hit me hard when then only way to finish the mission is by pulling the trigger (Mission 43). One of the best moment in MGSV beside the prologue mission.

To the Moon ending definitely had me teary eyed too. I guess I really need to continue playing Finding Paradise.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Mother 3 was full blown ugly snot crying at the end. I still get very emotional thinking about it.

Same with The Last Guardian and Valiant Hearts. Really could not handle both those endings. Valiant Hearts was especially difficult since the game made me keenly aware of what monstrosities we had performed on one another during the Great War. I've never wanted to play another war game since.

• The ending of FFIX (when everybody talks about Zidane like he's dead, then he pops up in that play... it killed me)
Oof. I hate to break it to you but that's one particular person saying goodbye to Zidane at the end, not the entire cast.

LaughingGear

Nov 2, 2017
youtu.be

NieR: Automata || 2B's Final Moment

NieR: Automata tells the story of androids 2B, 9S and A2 and their battle to reclaim the machine-driven dystopia overrun by powerful machines. #ILLUMINAT3D #...

Specifically the way Kira Buckland delivers that final line just killed me

Housecat

Oct 25, 2017
The Last Guardian is even more brutal if you have pets.

And FFXVs ending.

FFX didn't make me cry but made me very sad.

Oct 25, 2017
Shit, a ton of NES games made me cry out of frustration as a kid. Ninja Gaiden being the worst offender.
As far as anything since then? Nothing I can think of.

Tygerjaw

Oct 25, 2017
I cried at the end of MGS3, Persona 4 and The Last Guardian.

I cried during The Last of Us opening.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
you know the chapter. you know the execution. Jesus fuck that is the most I've cried over a game ever. Chiaki was my favourite character and even though I had her execution spoiled before I played the game, I was absolutely gobsmacked how it all planned out.
That one broke me, I tried everything I could during the trial to change the outcome, I went back and reloaded a save during the investigation, my hopes were finally crushed when I went online to see if there was any alternative. Nope.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
The end of Episode 3 / start of Episode 4 in Life Is Strange. Probably the only time in my life that I literally paused the game and cried for close to an hour. I wasn't expecting it and I think the voice acting got to me.

That one destroyed me. I put the game down and didn't go back to it for a week - I even thought about making a friend rewind the time at the start of Episode 4 because I didn't want to make the choice.

Another couple are To The Moon - just tears at the ending - and That Dragon, Cancer which was pretty much tears throughout.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
All of NieR Gestalt.

The Terra, Aqua and Ven scenes in the Keyblade graveyard in KH3 also made me sob uncontrollably

There's definitely many more games that made me cry like NieR: Automata, The Last of Us, RDR & 2, God of War, most of the Yakuza games, JJ Macfield and the Island of Memories, Kentucky Route Zero, Sayonara Wild Hearts, but NieR Gestalt is the only game that still to this day makes me sob my fucking heart out if I just think about it or hear even just seconds of the OST.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
FF9 got me teary eyed multiple times but the first time I really cried was at the ending of FFX hearing Yunas speech.

Horizon Zero Dawn ending also somehow got me. Its not the best written game but that ending did get me emotional.

Nier Automata Ending E gave me a rollercoaster of emotions, many things in that game did.

FFXV last campfire got me got me good.

There are more but I will keep it at those.

exofrenon

Mar 30, 2019
Lost Odyssey, the first dream with the dying little girl in A Thousand Years of Dreams hit me hard.

Nov 4, 2017
Oof. I hate to break it to you but that's one particular person saying goodbye to Zidane at the end, not the entire cast.
Huh? I thought that the black screen text was the internal monologue of the character the previous scene was about. I've never heard of it being just one person's monologue. I did finish the game almost 20 years ago and never went back, so *shrug*.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Life is Strange's funeral ending.

Journey.
Finding someone on your journey, then along the way loosing them and later reuniting again and the right before the final ascend on the mountain, he sat down. I waited, I thought maybe he had to go use the toilet, or he had someone at the door but no, after waiting a while he just vanished in front of me, probably disconnected. I had to ascend the mountain myself and when that final sequence with it's score hit I broke down. It's the most emotional I got during a game.

Even writing this makes me eyes water again.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
The ending of Crisis Core had me in tears, which is strange because i prefer the brutally bluntness of that scene in the original game. I guess i just really enjoyed Zack.

Oct 25, 2017
I bawl at games, you can find this bitch ugly cry many a time during emotional games.

you know the chapter. you know the execution. Jesus fuck that is the most I've cried over a game ever. Chiaki was my favourite character and even though I had her execution spoiled before I played the game, I was absolutely gobsmacked how it all planned out.

The final cutscene just..... broke me. I was an emotional wreck afterwards. SWERY is damn good.
That one broke me, I tried everything I could during the trial to change the outcome, I went back and reloaded a save during the investigation, my hopes were finally crushed when I went online to see if there was any alternative. Nope.
That was a bad ass execution though. I thought most of 2's were weak, but that one stood out.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Closest I ever came was the final part of Telltales' The Walking Dead (Season 1)

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Any chance a mod can change that title to remove that "ahem" as if it's somehow still emasculating to show any emotion other than neutrality or anger?

For me it was The Last Guardian. The entire ending and that whole sequence was devastating to me. It didn't help that Trico reminded me so much of my old Maine Coone cat D'argo both behaviourly and visually. He was the doggest cat I've ever known.

In all I'd say that I cried for the entire hour leading up to the ending moments right up until the following morning. It was heartbreaking.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019
losing my progress in skyrim, we talking a good 100 hours and trying to comeplete everything

I did cry in mass effect 3 with the mordin storyline

theLusitanian

Nov 3, 2017
All three of the Team Ico games made me cry. Aside from the obvious I am not quite sure how all three games are almost pitch perfect on the emotional manipulation. Worst part is I got the "it's just a game" treatment when my wife saw me at the beginning of the final Colossus part of the remake.

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
- The ascension endgame in Journey
- Kingdom hearts 3 dearly beloved title screen and
When sora wanted to go face xehanort alone but donald and goofy came up and walked along beside sora.
- As corny as it sound, I got teary eyed when Naomi said her goodbyes to Otacon during act 4 of MGS4.
- Pretty much the ending of MGS4.
-Nier automata.