• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

yurr

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
Plenty of games have had me close to tears, but only Lost Odyssey made me break down and cry. Anyone who played the game will know the scene.

Edit: yurr yep that's the one lol
The only time in 25 years a game has made me and still makes me teary. Uematsu's is a fucking legend

Oct 25, 2017
If the House of Fata Morgana doesn't make you cry then you're a god damn monster.

Too many moments in that game.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
ImmaculateFrailCattle-poster.jpg

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Xenoblade 2s ending is one that really crushed me in a big way, I love it.

Birth by Sleeps true ending plus .2s opening cinematic are beautiful in regards to Aqua, I care more about her then anything or anyone in Kingdom Hearts.

MonMonDad

Dec 21, 2019
The ending of Professor Layton and the Unwound Future.

That scene, that music and
the professor start crying: "I don't want to say goodbye again, I can't, I won't!"

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Nier Automata Ending E

The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine unexpectedly hit me hard when
Geralt faces the camera and says it's time to finally rest

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
Lots of games have moved me but only one ever made me cry. To The Moon. I was holding it together until that song started. "Everything's Alright" my arse.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
don't think i ever came close to crying but the two games that made me really sad at the end were mario 64 and mario kart 64. mostly because i was sad i couldn't play more of it and i loved those two games growing up.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
This might be strange, but there's only one moment in a video game that has made tear up and it was the scene where Link in Wind Waker first leaves Outset Island.

Specifically the part where you see Link's grandma standing out by the house to say goodbye. I'm not particularly sure why this scene did it when nothing else has, I wasn't in a similar moment in my life at the time and I wasn't particularly close to my grandma but it still gets me.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It might have been because it was like, 3am when I finally finished the game, but one scene in the ending of Phoenix Wright: Justice for All hit the right spot.

The final scene with Edgeworth and Franziska at the airport, where she breaks down crying, really got to me. Like, she's such an asshole the entire game, but she's not a bad person! She just doesn't know how to be any better! Seeing the shell come down was crazy.

latest

Man, I want to play some Phoenix Wright now. It's been like a decade since I played through the original trilogy.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
Crisis Core is

the game that made me cry the hardest and longest. Holy fuck I could not deal with that ending. I can only imagine the pain of someone who hadn't played FF7 half a dozen times before seeing what actually happens to Zack.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019

The Death of Master Mathiu in Suikoden 1 (8:01). I leave the whole thing up because it was an emotional journey to get to that point and seeing this ending gives that full feeling.

No other JRPG has brought me down to the level of tears like this game has. First played it in 1997. Many loved Suikoden 2, but this game...This game symbolizes everything that an RPG should be. Great battle system, great storytelling and great music. The neccesary, crucial components that need to be nailed in order for an RPG to be considered an excellence in the genre, imo.

Soundtracks like these are powerful, especially when using something like the Nylon Guitar in pure Acoustic form. What a lost Art.

Last edited:

Skelatix

Oct 28, 2017
South Africa
The death of Vesemir in Witcher 3 hit me everytime.
It's not even like he was the main character but I guess I grew attached to him from first game and then having him fleshed out more in Witcher 3.

Sep 21, 2019
The scene in The Last if Us when Joel embraces Ellie while she is hacking at David's corpse and calls her "baby girl."

I fucking lose it every single time. That moment culminates everything about their relationship to that point and is also a sigh of relief for the player.

It is a beautiful moment that is so earned and true. Fucking incredible game.

Last edited:

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
The ending of the Austin chapter of TLOU is gut-wrenching. What a way to start the game off ...

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Mother 3 made me cry 3 times.

i couldnt even read any of the text when I played this game (this video is the first time im seeing the scene in english) and yet it was still so emotional and wonderfully told through its animations.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
The obvious ones:

The opening sequence of The Last of Us

THAT sequence of Spider-Man (PS4)

Nier Ending E

Beyond Good and Evil: Jade's Soliloquy.
A frigging amazing moment where you can hear Jade just completely break for that one moment before pulling herself back together and going out to rescue her children

But a lot of games have done it to me over the years. So here are some of the more interesting ones if I do say so myself

God of War (PS4):
I played the originals at a time in my life when the ultramasculinity bullshit worked well enough. And I got to the sequel at a time where the idea of Kratos needing to go back to such a dark time in his life and pick up the blades of chaos again really just did it for me.

Nier and Nier Automata:
Devola and Popola (sp?). Around ending C or so it really hit me in Nier 1 just how tragic it was as they were forced to throw their lives away with "Do you think I have the luxury to stop?". These are two people who have done everything to help those they were meant to protect and shepherd and had instead grown to love all while knowing they need to ultimately kill the protagonist's hope of rescuing his sister/daughter (US so daughter). And in Nier:A the realization that all of the D&P series have suffered because of this and are just desperate for any moment of redemption. Emil hurts too but I think it "helps" that he is just so over the top tragic that it almost becomes background noise relative to the rest of the world. Devola and Popola were so blatantly side characters in the story of the protagonists

Infamous 2:
One of the best uses of QTEs in gaming. Just the idea of squeezing each trigger one at a time as Cole comes closer and closer to sacrificing himself. And then, with a death grip on your controller, being told "Let go" and having all the time in the world to just end the game.

Mass Effect 3:
A twofer. One is the obvious case of Mordin's "Had to be me" sequence. But also, the entire ending sequence just worked. Maybe it was "getting" the little kid throughout the game. Maybe it was inertia from having played the whole series through. But Shepard's suicidal charge, Anderson dying, and just standing there in a completely wrecked suit and realizing that no matter what I did people I had grown to really like would die just got me. Sure I had a brief "ha ha, three buttons, this is bullshit" to it but I just kind of sat there and got more and more misty eyed while thinking about what was "right". And it definitely helps that I am all for stories without solid conclusions and to this day will argue that all of ME3 was "the ending" and it was all about how Shepard had been transformed from the pinnacle of humanity in ME1 to just some tired soldier trying to keep their head above water and desperate to know they made a difference before they go out.

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
I cried at the end of Pokemon Moon -- I'm certain it was due to being overloaded with a lot of nostalgia having grown up playing the series and finishing the game was the culmination of an entire year of celebrating Pokemon for the 20th anniversary.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
PLEASE TAG SPOILERS JUST IN CASE!

Funnily enough I was inspired to make this thread by the Final Fantasy PSN Sale. For instance, I don't hold Final Fantasy XV I'm very high regard. I went to Youtube and remembered and watched that one scene at the end and a flood of emotions hit me...again. The relationship between Noctis and his friends...brothers really, is the only thing I can relate to. Perhaps it reminds of my time in the military.

So, what memorable scene in video-games has made you cry or tear up?

This is the correct answer

Oct 25, 2017
Mother 3 like so many others and because I played the series out of order; Mother.

I played Earthbound, then Mother 3 , and last Mother. When I woke up in Magicant in Mother I assumed it was created from Ninten as 2's was from Ness.
I choked up when I realized Mother's Magicant was created from Maria instead. It hit me as hard as it did because I already had the context of who Maria was. IIRC I had already read a lengthy description of the story events before the game from a fan translation of some guide or book.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017

The Death of Master Mathiu in Suikoden 1 (8:01). I leave the whole thing up because it was an emotional journey to get to that point and seeing this ending gives that full feeling. Perhaps InsaneTiger will co-sign on this.

No other JRPG has brought me down to the level of tears like this game has. First played it in 1997. Many loved Suikoden 2, but this game...This game symbolizes everything that an RPG should be. Great battle system, great storytelling and great music. The neccesary, crucial components that need to be nailed in order for an RPG to be considered an excellence in the genre, imo.

Soundtracks like these are powerful, especially when using something like the Nylon Guitar in pure Acoustic form. What a lost Art.

Yeah, I just replayed Suikoden 1 a couple months ago, and that ending really is something, much better than I remembered. Barbarossa's fate transitioning into Mathiu's fate - I got choked up a little by the whole sequence. Having one transition into the other also highlighted the good people on both sides element of Suikoden that I've always enjoyed. Suikoden 1 deserves more love.

And yes, the guitar version of the sad music is the best sad music I've ever heard in video games, and I love that only *truly* sad moments get that version.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018
No game has made me cry more than Telltale's Walking Dead. Life is Strange got close though
This is also my answer, I was going through a rough time in my life anyway...and the end of this game absolutely RUINED me. I wasn't just sort of crying with one tear rolling down my cheek, I was full on CRYING for a good 10 or 15 minutes. I'll never forget it.

D-Volt

Jan 31, 2018
The ending of Luigi's Mansion still gets me to this day. Just that moment where Luigi is laughing so hard he's crying at Mario was really touching. That was the first game where I really felt the brotherly love between the two.

Also it's silly, but I remember finding the character arc of Muffy in Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life sad enough to make me shed a tear when I was a kid. She talks about how she's been cheated on and had married men take advantage of her throughout the game. I didn't marry her and after you have a teenage son you can find Muffy on a beach one night where she regrets never having kids and thinks she's too old for men to love her now. It was a surprisingly mature and realistic subject matter for a kids game.

TranseKuja

Mar 28, 2019
Mother 3 didn't make me cry but the ending of Earthbound totally did, it was suxh a beautiful bittersweet moment, saying goodbye to friends you faced everything with

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I cried after playing Life is Strange. I'm not even entirely sure it was just the ending that did it (because both endings were killer) but probably more so just my own experiences in life that reflected so well to the drama of LiS (I was also in high school then where I had reconnected with an old best friend from many years ago) and that game just made me cry like so few others.

I also cried when I first played Nier
(The fight with Popola and Devola, especially "No one stops" and the music during that fight)
and then the whole Devola and Popola scene in Automata which just made that original scene even sadder.

Also as cliche as it was, I cried when Soap died in MW3 because damn it that was just sad to me. I'm just glad Price lived because I would have not been happy if he died (one of the first video games I played a lot was Call of Duty 2 so I was attached to him)

There were also a few scenes in Xenoblade Chronicles that made me tear up as well a little bit, but I was also tired as hell that whole week

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Never really cried with videogames, but almost did in the final moments of Mother 3. I was like fighting with my tears at that point.