• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PLEASE TAG SPOILERS JUST IN CASE!

Funnily enough I was inspired to make this thread by the Final Fantasy PSN Sale. For instance, I don't hold Final Fantasy XV in very high regard. I went to Youtube and remembered and watched that one scene at the end and a flood of emotions hit me...again. The relationship between Noctis and his friends...brothers really, is the only thing I can relate to. Perhaps it reminds of my time in the military.

So, what memorable scene in video-games has made you cry or tear up?

Last edited:

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
I got teary eyed at least 5 times during Kingdom Hearts 3.

Lot of moments in that game hit hard for me, guess it helps that I marathoned the entire series only a month or so beforehand.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I teared and almost choked up in Wind Waker when Link was waving goodbye to his grandma near the start of the game. Just resonated with the idea of reluctantly parting from a beloved guardian for an extended period of time. I still love how expressive that game is. It was such a tiny and probably mostly forgotten little moment, but it struck me hard as someone who was finally softening up on the game. I was a stupid tweener when Wind Waker debuted on Gamecube, and my initial reaction to it was the idiotic "Celda" bemoaning. I think it was Penny Arcade's import impressions that made me interested in actually buying it upon the US release, and all it took was the intro with that endcap moment to make me completely on board for the rest of the journey.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
DUmWimDVMAAjNLb.jpg

It always gets me. Imagine being alone in an island, with all hope lost and the only thing you can think of is to kill yourself.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Mother 3 made me bawl a lot, especially during the final boss.

"You must be so exhausted. Come here, Claus."

I also got emotional at Okami and, while I didn't cry while playing the Nier games, I did cry during the Nier Orchestra concert, especially when Emi Evans finally came out to sing Kainé.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
The ending of the first season of Telltale's The Walking Dead. Before then, nothing had made me cry that hard. Nothing has made me cry that hard since then, either.

youtu.be

Alela Diane - Take Us Back (lyrics)

This song is from the album 'To Be Still'.

The endings of both Persona 3 and Persona 4 are heartbreaking for different reasons, but they both hurt all the same.

youtu.be

Persona 3 - Kimi no Kioku / Memories of You [ENG SUB]

ペルソナ3 キミの記憶 Persona 3 - Kimi no Kioku / Memories of You Composed by Shoji Meguro and sung in Japanese by Yumi Kawamura. All right belong to Atlus, P-studio a...
youtu.be

Persona 4 Ending Theme - Never More (+ English Lyrics/Subs)

I don't own/claim to own anything in this video!!!"Never More" by Shoji Meguro (vocals by Hirata Shihoko)Lyrics are from atashi.wordpress.com

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing's made me cry yet -- I get plenty emotional at media, but for whatever reason, no tears -- but the closest was definitely the end of Metal Gear Solid 3. In particular, parts of the delivery from EVA's voice actress still hit me no matter how many times I've seen it.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
The first video game to make me legitimately cry was Mother 3, multiple times, but especially

the final battle. It was too much, downright cruel to make the player go through that. :(

The game definitely triggered something in me because ever since I get teary eyed more easily lmao.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Embrace the crying, don't be embarrassed.

I hard sobbed
when Roxas came back. All my bbys were finally back together. Happy cries. ;_;

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't really cry, but tear up a little at emotional moments. Some recent ones that come to mind are:
Night in the Woods
Yakuza 6 - moments near the end of the game
The Last Guardian
Disco Elysium - working class women
The Outer Wilds - climax
428's ending sequence
The Missing JJ: Macfield and the Island of Memories
Red Dead Redemption 2 - reading through past journal entries of Arthur Morgan after a substantial spoiler event happens
Nier Automata - Ending E

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
There were definitely at least a couple between Life is Strange and LiS: Before the Storm.

The wrong ending of Life is Strange and the end of BtS's Farewell episode.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
SPOILERS...maybe.

Funnily enough I was inspired to make this thread by the Final Fantasy PSN Sale. For instance, I don't hold Final Fantasy XV I'm very high regard. I went to Youtube and remembered and watched that one scene at the end and a flood of emotions hit me...again. The relationship between Noctis and his friends...brothers really, is the only thing I can relate to. Perhaps it reminds of my time in the military.

Hell freaking yes. That scene and the ending of The Last Guardian both made me cry. The latter made me cry probably more than I have in the past decade at least.

As also mentioned Kingdom Hearts 3 got me at several points, but many times out of pure elation rather than sadness. Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations was also a rough one. There was so much build up throughout the trilogy and it ended it so perfectly. Oh and Red Dead 2. He didn't deserve that.

Nov 4, 2017
  • The ending of Lufia II: Rise of the Sinestrals
  • The ending of FFIX (when everybody talks about Zidane like he's dead, then he pops up in that play... it killed me
  • The ending of Rime. I played through it with my daughter, who was about a month old at the time, sleeping on my chest. Also I'd had to have my dog euthanized a week or two before. I broke down and blubbered like a baby.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The part in Persona 4 where Nanako seemingly dies, I really wasn't expecting it.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
The ending of the first season of Telltale's The Walking Dead. Before then, nothing had made me cry that hard. Nothing has made me cry that hard since then, either.

youtu.be

Alela Diane - Take Us Back (lyrics)

This song is from the album 'To Be Still'.

The endings of both Persona 3 and Persona 4 are heartbreaking for different reasons, but they both hurt all the same.

youtu.be

Persona 3 - Kimi no Kioku / Memories of You [ENG SUB]

ペルソナ3 キミの記憶 Persona 3 - Kimi no Kioku / Memories of You Composed by Shoji Meguro and sung in Japanese by Yumi Kawamura. All right belong to Atlus, P-studio a...
youtu.be

Persona 4 Ending Theme - Never More (+ English Lyrics/Subs)

I don't own/claim to own anything in this video!!!"Never More" by Shoji Meguro (vocals by Hirata Shihoko)Lyrics are from atashi.wordpress.com

I also might have cried around 7 times or so during the final few sections of Kingdom Hearts 3. Say what you want about the game, but the final act of KH3 is pure, unadulterated fanservice.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
That fucking giraffe broke me.

Spent the entire second half of The Last Guardian (roughly 6 hours straight) of hysterics

The way it is in RDR2.

Tragedies in Spider-Man

EDIT. End of disc 1 in FF7 had ZERO effect on 16 year old me. Bloodless, silent, primitive graphics, combined to no impact whatsoever. Cait's gesture had me far more eaten up

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I went into a minor depression for about a week after Cortana died in the end of Halo 4. If only I knew about the storyline of Halo 5!

Commodore64

Oct 25, 2017
During the battle with Miquel in Chrono Cross when this track kicks in

It's been way too long since I played this but the combination of Miquels fate and that somber tune made me tear up.

Twonny

Dec 12, 2018
SPOILERS...maybe.

Funnily enough I was inspired to make this thread by the Final Fantasy PSN Sale. For instance, I don't hold Final Fantasy XV I'm very high regard. I went to Youtube and remembered and watched that one scene at the end and a flood of emotions hit me...again. The relationship between Noctis and his friends...brothers really, is the only thing I can relate to. Perhaps it reminds of my time in the military.

Definitely FFXV's ending

Yakuza 3 and Yakuza 6 also fucked me up hardcore.

I cry at a lot of things though, but these three games have had lasting impacts on me.

[edit] Oh, Asura's Wrath also made me cry.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
I'm not sure if I cried but anyone who has played Mother 3 knows what parts (specifically, one of the final parts) are tear-inducingly painful.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I bawl at games, you can find this bitch ugly cry many a time during emotional games.

you know the chapter. you know the execution. Jesus fuck that is the most I've cried over a game ever. Chiaki was my favourite character and even though I had her execution spoiled before I played the game, I was absolutely gobsmacked how it all planned out.

The final cutscene just..... broke me. I was an emotional wreck afterwards. SWERY is damn good.

Dunban_Fyuria

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of visual novels tend to make me cry since they last a while and you really get to know the characters. Both Utawarerumono mask of deception and mask of truth had me crying for a bit at the end.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably the first that made me tear up was FFX at the end. Yuna and Tidus' realization and the final high five with Jecht.

The Walking Dead S1 was painful to watch.

Robaperas

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Valiant Hearts: The Great War, the ending was... really well done but so sad, and the ending of Shadow Hearts: Covenant, this one I don't know why, maybe I had a bad day, I don't really remember why it made me sob.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Cliff realizing Sam, not Lou, was his BB. Minutes later, Sam reliving Cliff's final moments and Cliff acknowledging Sam's presence in the room during his death. Both times they embraced, I lost it. Same with the finale, where Sam spares Lou and opens her pod, followed by him undoing the knot (strand) in his hair and cutting ties with the UCA. He's cradling Lou in his arms, looks to the sky, and sees blue has returned to the rainbow.

It's notoriously very difficult for me to cry. I try extremely hard to cry because it's a good way to release built up anxiety and stress, but it doesn't come easy to me. Death Stranding is among the few games that actually did it for me. It was more of a happy, ugly cry.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
The one part of any game that gets me every single time is the Laguna portion of the Final Fantasy 8 ending cinematic, the music going along with what it shows just whewwwww boy.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
The end of Episode 3 / start of Episode 4 in Life Is Strange. Probably the only time in my life that I literally paused the game and cried for close to an hour. I wasn't expecting it and I think the voice acting got to me.

Tigerfog

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I can get emotional when events in the game complement perfectly some characters' development.
Mine has to be that one moment in Tales of Destiny 2 on PS2.
tP4bawI.jpg

The characters are each thrown into individual dream worlds by the antagonist.
They are either tormented or wish to stay forever in it.
In Nanaly's case, she believes she is living in peace with her late little brother.
Loni, one of the party members, has to forcefully drag her to tomb of her brother and remind her that her brother lived a short but very fulfilled life and that it's unlike her to find satisfaction in the lies of the dreamworld.
All at the same time, the little brother cries and says "Sis, I'm not dead, look at me! I'm alive, I'm not dead..."
Nanaly eventually snaps out of it, accepts the death of her brother, who disappears, and cries. :(

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
I'm not sure why

The end of Life is Strange 2 (chapter 2). When Daniel force pushes the police car and prevents it from hitting the Captain Spirit kid, while they are on the run. Daniel and Captain Spirit kid share a look. Maybe it was the editing..just a well done moment, not particularly sad though. It did bring a tear to my eye.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yakuza 0

Tachibana dies and Makoto arrives too late to say goodbye. Her breakdown is hard to watch.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ezFnm.png

I felt like a fucking monster. It's even worse with the wolf Shade in the desert.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
When Lee shows up in Clem's dream. It wrecked me. My dad had passed a few months prior and their conversation got the tears flowing.

Todesritter74

Oct 30, 2017
Valiant Hearts: The Great War, the ending was... really well done but so sad,
This one here. Got misty eyed as you navigate the protagonist through the final level and he narrates the letter to his daughter. After the rollercoaster you have been on to that point in the game, the simplicity of that stage combined with the messaging... whew.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
at i didnt even understand what was going on in the ending of chrono cross and the credits sequence but i cried

credits song always makes me almost cry

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Some people should really be careful in here and use the spoiler tag. Some of these games are recent.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy 7 has a couple of moments for me.
Great Warrior Seto's scene broke me, Red's howling gets me everytime.

Cait Sith becoming sentient to then sacrifice himself always got me as well, Interrupted by Fireworks makes the scene so much better.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy 7 has a couple of moments for me.
Great Warrior Seto's scene broke me, Red's howling gets me everytime.

Cait Sith becoming sentient to then sacrifice himself always got me as well, Interrupted by Fireworks makes the scene so much better.

You... you really cried at cait sith?

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Plenty of games have had me close to tears, but only Lost Odyssey made me break down and cry. Anyone who played the game will know the scene.

Edit: yurr yep that's the one lol