• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
Really happy to see this pointed out. It doesn't get brought up a lot in conversations about the game, and I thought it was possibly the most effecting moment in the game. Just this quiet moment of somber reflection for two people who love each other so much and have so much shared history but also still a lot to work though.
Hits disturbingly close to home tbh.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

links-awakening-where-marin.jpg

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Breath of the wild when the moon shines on the grass and you walk up a hill. Same for sunset. The grass effects in breath of the wild is really somthing

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
The end of the Emil's Memories sidequest in NieR: Automata

Even without the context of why this sidequest is so great, just the music alone is enough to make you stop everything you're doing and just soak it all in.

the biggest reason to play Gestalt before playing Automata!!!

well also the Emil's Sacrifice remix that plays during the secret boss fight

this a great choice, my favorite area in any souls game

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
In Silent Hill 2 when you get to the hotel and find a the dining room.

d3i60ix-d1bf0b66-dd84-436c-b840-28843070877e.jpg

And, of course, Yamaoka's wonderful music:

Jun 24, 2019
Persona 2

The side quest in Aoba park is a nice melancholic adventure of its own

pcYbRpn.png

And if we are talking about sad music, my personal favourite:

Persona 2 has a wonderful range of osts, mixed with different vibes and feelings; bittersweet, sorrowful, solitary, reminiscent~ Along with the music, the storytelling is soulful.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Maya… The other Maya smiled at me, right before my eyes.

"Are you okay? You're not hurt? Sorry about that! I'm such a klutz. Wait… Have we met somewhere before?"

We did, we did, yes, we did! There's no way I could've forgotten, even if you told me to… Absolutely. Back when we were kids, I was always, always chasing after you.
That's right. Please smile like that for me forever. Jun and I promised we'd protect your smile.

Last edited:

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
I once tried to fight a bunch of lizard men next to a unique boss in Xenoblade that was above my level. I gingerly kited them one by one from their base and managed to make progress one by one but I was getting far away from their spawn point. I had to get to the limit of the range of one lizard while outside the range of the other lizard.

When I was down to the last 2 lizards and boss, I failed to kite properly and they deaggroed. I fell off a ledge and frantically made my way back to the boss area.

All the lizards had respawned.

So I just stood there and looked melancholily out at the Satorl Marsh for a while.

It's a lovely location.

I came back hours later and murdered those lizards.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Equally effective as the giraffes in The Last of Us is the drive to New Devon in Uncharted 4:

Great to see this scene in here.
The elevator scene alone was already great...and you think that's going to be it it.
But then that silent moment when they walk to the jeep, start the engine and just a piano song playing, with us, the player, barely hearing the jeep, was too effective. Specially with the piano song getting higher and higher.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong

Completing the game totally re-contextualises the main menu. Hotline Miami 2 honestly doesn't get the recognition it deserves; I think it's storytelling is so underappreciated.

OP
OP
Window

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Really happy to see this pointed out. It doesn't get brought up a lot in conversations about the game, and I thought it was possibly the most effecting moment in the game. Just this quiet moment of somber reflection for two people who love each other so much and have so much shared history but also still a lot to work though.
Great to see this scene in here.
The elevator scene alone was already great...and you think that's going to be it it.
But then that silent moment when they walk to the jeep, start the engine and just a piano song playing, with us, the player, barely hearing the jeep, was too effective. Specially with the piano song getting higher and higher.
Naughty Dog's storytelling has matured a lot over the years and Uncharted 4 is a good demonstration of that. It may not deliver emotional gut punches like The Last of Us but I think it's better and smarter for it.

Last edited:

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Typed a reply on my phone and forgot to hit post before jumping tabs. Heh.

Any ways. There is this one moment in Rakuen that comes to mind. The Star Night Festival.
rakuen-star-night-ramune1.png

In some ways the events after were a bit predictable yet it was so enjoyable and impactful all the same.

Last edited:

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
Breath of the Wild as a whole. "Melancholy "describes its tone quite aptly in my opinion. Everything from the sparsely populated world, to the many ruins of Hyrule past, to the silent peaks, to every flashback scene with the champions long dead. Even Kass's tunes have a tinge of sadness to them.

OP
OP
Window

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't want to create a whole new thread just so bumping this one.

Playing FF7 Remake now, and while I haven't played the original I'm aware of the general story beats. The game uses this knowledge to great effect. This moment at the end of chapter 8 really got me. Not the moment in isolation but the whole build up. Cloud just walked out on Aerith but ends up meeting her again, so that she can show him the way back to his friends. In his view, this is going to be the last walk with her before they part ways and they both go back to their own lives. Yet somehow he has this sudden feeling of deep sadness, as if he's just realised he really will lose her forever, eventually. Their bond runs deep, outside the logic of linear time or continuity. The scenes at the playground a bit later are great too. I couldn't stand the cutscenes in the early sections of the game and they're still a bit inconsistent but when they get it right they really resonate well.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't want to create a whole new thread just so bumping this one.

Playing FF7 Remake now, and while I haven't played the original I'm aware of the general story beats. The game uses this knowledge to great effect. This moment at the end of chapter 8 really got me. Not the moment in isolation but the whole build up. Cloud just walked out on Aerith but ends up meeting her again, so that she can show him the way back to his friends. In his view, this is going to be the last walk with her before they part ways and they both go back to their own lives. Yet somehow he has this sudden feeling of deep sadness, as if he's just realised he really will lose her forever, eventually. Their bond runs deep, outside the logic of linear time or continuity. The scenes at the playground a bit later are great too. I couldn't stand the cutscenes in the early sections of the game and they're still a bit inconsistent but when they get it right they really resonate well.

Was to post exactly this. When you reach the slums after the Church and the sad music starts playing i was floored. It's a nice little community and everyone is enjoying their lives but the feeling of reunion is so bittersweet.

And also this scene:

OP
OP
Window

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Was to post exactly this. When you reach the slums after the Church and the sad music starts playing i was floored. It's a nice little community and everyone is enjoying their lives but the feeling of reunion is so bittersweet.

And also this scene:

Yeah the music when you reach sector 5 slums does so much to set that melancholic mood. I think this piece was a new composition for the remake. It's one of the stand outs so far.