• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
The first time you visit Adam Jensen's apartment in deus ex human revolution, all the neat little environmental details that give you clues to Jensen's mental state and what he went through between the prologue and the first act. The music's incredible too.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Just chilling by yourself in The Friends of Ringo Ishikawa

Ringo_gifs_10.gif

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro is full of those. A burning estate or mountaintop temple full of corruption have no right looking that good.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village in Breath of the Wild. The whole land of Hyrule is full of people living through the ruins, but staring at the mountain range as a little girl told me she would never get to actually hear the end of her grandfathers story got to me, and illustrated how sad but not hopeless that world was.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Riki of all characters has this scene in Xenoblade with an amazing chill remix of his theme

The pre-credits of Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days still gives me weird melancholic chills, especially given the context of KH2. The way it's basically silent except for foley and voice over until Sanctuary kicks in...

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild, waiting for the blue dragon to rise at dawn to get a scale, camping in the ruins and the foot of the mountain.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
The whole end section of Ico is so melancholic, and it's a shame that it is kind of spoilery, as it's much better than the rest of the game in my opinion, when it comes to atmosphere.

After spending the whole game trying to escape the castle, just as you're about to escape, you get split up from Yorda, and dropped into the caverns below.

After spending the game with a companion, exploring the massive castle and all the beautiful gardens outside, being alone in these dark, wet caverns, is such a great piece of visual storytelling. There's a specific part where you're running across these huge, rusty pipes, and it just shows how small and insignificant you are in the grand scheme of things.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
I think Nintendo blockbusters frequently do this well. Mario galaxy, Mario Odyssey, and plenty of Zeldas (though especially breath of the wild) do this greatly imo.

Celeste and hyper light drifter come to mind too
The end of the Emil's Memories sidequest in NieR: Automata

Even without the context of why this sidequest is so great, just the music alone is enough to make you stop everything you're doing and just soak it all in.

Oh and this. Easily the #1 example just wow

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finished Far: Lone Sails last night which I think is a game made entirely of melancholy and discovery mixed together.

A lot of Outer Wilds. Such a great gem.

Oh, yeah absolutely this. Wonderful moments like when you realise you've only got a few minutes left and not enough time to do what you need to do, so you sit and enjoy the fireworks.

And the ending was beautiful.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Forgot one of my absolute favorites - walking around Inaba on New Years Day in Persona 4 Golden

At this point there isn't that much game left, so it's great seeing basically every named character again as you explore the very comfy and familiar town. I especially love that you can go say happy new year to the fox.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Everybody's Gone To The Rapture is full of it. From the beautiful soundtrack to the stories of the town people, it's just such a wonderful example.

s1lver

Oct 28, 2017

It is extremely rare for me to stop playing just to enjoy a certain moment in a game, but on BOTW when you have to

stand on top of a rock with Kass and wait for the 5 o'clock to see where the shadow points out

I arrived at around 10 a.m so I decided to wait. The music and the whole scenery just made me put down my remote and enjoy the view, and I end up waiting for the sunset to apreciate it completely.

One of the most memorable moments of that game, and the reason it was my GOTY.

Oct 25, 2017

This scene hits hard when you know what is his ultimate fate, I stayed at the fence for a little while before I moved. Plus, that music...wew

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
You disappoint me ERA, not a single mention of Nier Automata and we are two pages in already. The entire game of Nier Automata, it's visuals, theme and the soundtrack is so magical, uplifting and melancholic.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
Already posted here, but Resident Evil save rooms and countless moments in Red Dead Redemption 2 are two great examples of this.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Great post and I fully agree (I particularly liked the wooded area to the south west of the temple), but what the hell is going on in that fifth shot?! Looks like Wander is mid-somersault!

Thanks. :) Wander is diving and the camera is pointing upwards to the surface and skylight. It's in this cave:

46886413495_554d992920_o.png