• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
a23fa59a17ee6673bdbea70745327ba4.jpg

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
The one episode of Teen Titans where Robin goes nuts from illusions of Slade and the bombs he thought were planted on some bridge.

Last edited:

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
The TMNT 2003 series got away with even more violence. They actually decapitated Shredder on-screen in the first season.
The difference is that 2003 Turtles was marketed as "the edgy turtles". All of the branding and character designs aimed towards gritty, angry, edgy. The tone is set pretty early on and you can see that they were aiming for more of a X-Men and Batman TAS style cartoon rather than the 80's Saturday morning antics of it's predecessor.

2012 TMNT pulls you in with more of an emphasis on comedy and fight choreography. It also goes out of its way to blend references to the original comic, live action movies and the 80's cartoon. The writers grew up loving the franchise and it shows.

But when it gets "real" it catches you off guard completey. And the emotional moments hit me so much harder.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Steven Universe S4E11 Adventures in Light Distortion legitimately fucked me right up. The eerie music, the distorted visuals, Steven trying so hard, then accepting that he can't do it and just crying that he wants his dad as he knows they're all about to die... It's like so fucking sad it breaks my heart.

Grimsey

Nov 1, 2017
Watching this as a jaded adult, I think I'm more touched by the fact that Mr. Burns was charitable enough to give Homer his job back after he played Mr. Burns's head like a bongo and literally burnt the bridge to the plant.

My vote is basically the entirety of the Spawn animated series, it was some hardcore shit I'm telling you.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Tuca and Bertie

Episode 1:

FrequentCooperativeBellsnake-size_restricted.gif

Here's two wacky birds living in this bizarre world, I wonder what wild and goofy adventures they will get on.

D7KIUWQU0AA5QL7.jpg:large

Oh.

screen-shot-2019-05-06-at-3-14-29-pm.png

Oohhh...
f2591-1gbhrgkcithr8bkf6boymdw.png

Ohh?
tumblr_pr2si2qNEx1qcpw29o6_500.gifv

Aww...
tumblr_pr2si2qNEx1qcpw29o5_500.gifv

Yeah this shows certainly ramps things up the closer you get to the end.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
Ok, so there's this obscure Christmas special called Cricket on the Hearth. It's an awful movie and you shouldn't watch it. The only reason I know about it is because it came on a DVD with the classic Rankin Bass Rudolph movie. My wife and I put on for the kids a few years ago thinking it would just be, at worst, a horrible cartoon. But then this scene happens:

My wife and I were shocked. I know times were different back whenever this piece of garbage was made, but holy shit. Oh and they're definitely dead. Those characters are never seen again.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
You guys are missing the GOAT

No cartoon ever got me as emotional as this as a kid. This episode is the single best thing to ever come out of the Transformers franchise.

Last edited:

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
On Avatar The Last Airbender when Oppa got separated from Ang and the gang. He took quite the abuse on that episode and I actually felt bad. Almost to the point where I thought the show portrayed animal cruelty against Oppa.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017

When Digimon starts referencing the number 666 being the mark of the beast.

These deaths made me physically ill as a child.

Probably the single most scene that frightened me the most as a child, as far as cartoons go.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
The difference is that 2003 Turtles was marketed as "the edgy turtles". All of the branding and character designs aimed towards gritty, angry, edgy. The tone is set pretty early on and you can see that they were aiming for more of a X-Men and Batman TAS style cartoon rather than the 80's Saturday morning antics of it's predecessor.

2012 TMNT pulls you in with more of an emphasis on comedy and fight choreography. It also goes out of its way to blend references to the original comic, live action movies and the 80's cartoon. The writers grew up loving the franchise and it shows.

But when it gets "real" it catches you off guard completey. And the emotional moments hit me so much harder.

Yeah, I've heard the 2012 cartoon is great. Keep in mind though: the reason the 2003 show was received so well back in the day, was because it was far closer to the tone of the original comics. And in contrast, the insanely silly, self-aware tone of the first animated series was at least partially a way of compensating for how strict censorship was when it came out. Poor Mikey couldn't even have his nunchucks, because of a law the U.K. had at the time. And ironically, this also has allowed it age a bit better than certain other toy-driven cartoons back in the day. *coughTransformersG1cough*

Honestly, this is what I love the most about the franchise. It's been constantly reinventing itself across its entire history, for one reason or another. And it has Batman levels of flexibility when it comes to the tone, so there's room for wholly silly iterations, dark iterations and everything in between.

Last edited:

Zona

Oct 27, 2017
That shit was like a punch to the gut.

Also, the two parter Nature episodes of Moral Orel changed the whole tone of the show.

hqdefault.jpg
[Adult Swim] We LOVED the ending of season one! For season two take it in that direction, go Dark.
'Moral Oral Team' Will do!
-Season Two-
[Adult Swim] Oh, oh sweet merciful god, not that dark!

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
[Adult Swim] We LOVED the ending of season one! For season two take it in that direction, go Dark.
'Moral Oral Team' Will do!
-Season Two-
[Adult Swim] Oh, oh sweet merciful god, not that dark!
'Moral Orel Team' Maybe we should give more context on what happened in those first two seasons to explain the ending to season two?
[Adult Swim] O-okay.... That doesn't sound too bad right...?
-Season Three-
[Adult Swim] Oh no...

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
You guys are missing the GOAT

No cartoon ever got me as emotional as this as a kid. This episode is the single best thing to ever come out of the Transformers franchise.

I think I was like 12 or so when this scene happened and had been an avid Beast Wars fan and this scene blew me away. I think it was one of the first times a cartoon of this nature really shocked me and got me emotional. It had happened before but I was never quite able to truly appreciate what I was seeing on screen. Excellent stuff both from a narrative point as well as a character development point. DinoBot went from arrogant dickheaded turncoat to an out and out hero even if a surly one. That and him taking out everyone by himself and then going out quoting Hamlet! Hell he even "inspired" mankind in the end which was a great way to cap that entire arc.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Watership Down is a story about cute and funny talking animals that turns into a survival horror and is ultimately about accepting death as an inevitability.
Its generally shown to young kids in our country.

Speedlynx

Nov 22, 2017
In the OG pokemon anime, when the SS Anne sunk and was teetering on the edge of a trench.

The ship flipped upside down so Ash and co had to climb to and cut a hole in the hull then swim to the surface or fucking drown.

Would the pokemon anime of today do something like this? Hell no.