• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Of course this thread turned into a Star Wars pissing match.

It always turns into a Star Wars pissing match.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I mean if he just picked up the light saber, they could have showed that at the end of TFA. I believe there had to be a curveball, and just him picking up the light saber would have been anticlimactic. But even apart from that, it just makes sense in the story, he looked miserable even in TFA, he wants Rey to go away and he expresses that.

I can't see how it would have been a better scene if he just accepted the light saber.
A really great point. If it had fulfilled all of our expectations of what the scene would be, what kind of arc would Luke have had? "Hey, the Jedi Temple burned down and I self-exiled myself to a planet so far in the Outer Rim that you'd have to spend decades working to find me. You did all that though, so here's a glass or warm blue milk and a cookie. Your training begins tomorrow."

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

this was great, u a fool

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When they randomly decided to mispronounce character names in The Last Airbender

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
The Your Momma joke immediately followed by Finn "comically" getting out of recovery.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I watched The Black Dahlia recently, trying to fill in the gaps in my De Palma knowledge, and literally the moment Josh Hartnett croaks out his first line of vocal-fry voiceover narration I knew it was going to be a bad time. He's not the only problem with that movie, but he is a huge black mark against it and having to listen to his awful voice all the way through it is a miserable experience.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Surely you don't mean the man that let Iron-Man 3 end with Tony destroying all his suits only to get them back in Age of Ultron? Not the guy who saw Ragnarok take away Thor's eye and Hammer only to give them back in the next movie.

How do people still not get this? It was symbolic.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
That's not irony. In my opinion, TLJ suprised but it also built upon TFA. Rey has to face she was left by her parents, abandoned on a desert, Kylo kills his master and accends, Luke faces his mistakes and finds peace, Poe achieves a leader ship role and Finn finds his place in the resistance except from saving Rey.

It may be irony, if you create a fallacy or a strawman, that the fans only liked TLJ because it deconstructed 'undo' TFA.
How is it not irony? The Last Jedi was clearly trying to put too much meaning into a trilogy that was clearly only intended to retread the events of the original trilogy with some modifications. It was clearly trying to make Star Wars feel more contemporary by invoking contemporary problems, and it did so at the expense of pacing. Not that The Force Awakens didn't have its pacing problems, but The Last Jedi was absolutely abysmal in terms of pacing, and that's due to the fact that someone in charge was taking the series too seriously and trying to ensure it made a statement. Problem is, that statement wasn't even close to being core to the experience; it was relegated to a side story that stomped the pacing of the movie further into the ground after the slowest chase in sci-fi history dragged the pacing to ground level.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't see it, but more than once I'd heard people say they heard laughter/mockery in their theater the moment this showed up:

Dark-Universe-Logo-1280x720.jpg

And that's literally the start of the movie.

(The Mummy 2017, for those wondering.)

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
I usually don't have a good feeling if a movie takes 20 minutes to setup the rest and it's only a 90 minute runtime. I saw a horror movie that started opening credits after twenty minutes and it was not a good movie. I've since become suspicious of movies that do that.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Although any addition to the book is valid for the Hobbit trilogy.

Last edited:

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
The stereotypical Asian accents of the Neimoidians in The Phantom Menace were my first indication that something had gone very wrong.

Topic ended in 5 posts.

So many moments you could pause it on that were such red flags. The Goat Milk, Finn running out of his hospital bed, Leia Poppins....the shit bar HAS no low!

Best Star Wars movie, stay mad about it.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"The movie event of the century" they said

I actually thought the opening of TPM was quite bad ass with Qui Gon and the door melting bit but then this hits and it's was like "ohhhhh .... shit".

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
How is it not irony? The Last Jedi was clearly trying to put too much meaning into a trilogy that was clearly only intended to retread the events of the original trilogy with some modifications. It was clearly trying to make Star Wars feel more contemporary by invoking contemporary problems, and it did so at the expense of pacing. Not that The Force Awakens didn't have its pacing problems, but The Last Jedi was absolutely abysmal in terms of pacing, and that's due to the fact that someone in charge was taking the series too seriously and trying to ensure it made a statement. Problem is, that statement wasn't even close to being core to the experience; it was relegated to a side story that stomped the pacing of the movie further into the ground after the slowest chase in sci-fi history dragged the pacing to ground level.

Joining in on the TLJ discussions: the movie itself is an irony because the entire film was based on how plans and expectations never quite work out the way we want them to. The idea behind the film was great, but the execution was so poor. Zero focus with pacing issues throughout.

Like sure, I understand the writers and the director wanting to tie in every character so they can each see through this theme, but sometimes that's not a good idea. Movies have a limited runtime, and making an excessively long movie beating a theme like a dead horse multiple times is self-indulgent in every sense of the word.

And this is coming from someone that actually liked TLJ in the theatres, but I distinctly remember several times in the movie where I thought 'why is this movie still going?'

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The irony is, The Last Jedi has an absolutely dreadful scene very early on (Poe's crank calling) that would be perfect for this discussion, but as usual, people horny for Luke Skywalker can't accept a scene that instantly translates a ton about his personality, lol

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
Man of Steel's opening on Krypton.

I think it's actually a well-regarded sequence, but when I first saw it I sort of had a concerned feeling about the rest of the film. The pacing was wild between the failed coup, Zod's banishment, and then the destruction of Krypton. Plus the weird bit about Superman having blueprints to the Kryptonian race merged into his bones or whatever. It was all so much and on top of that it was totally colorless and self-serious.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
The ultimate example. This one's so bad, that I actually like the fact that Colonial Marines retconned Hicks' death.
Sad that Neill Blomkamp's Alien sequel, which was set to feature an older Hicks and Ripley, retconning Alien 3, was cancelled because Ripley Scott wanted to make Covenant.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You set to watch a movie, either at the theater or at home. You got your snacks and your drink. You're comfy, ready to have a good time. You start the movie.

For a short moment, everything is well. But not long after, something happens: your moviegoer instinct flares up in alert. "Oh no", you tell yourself. "I might have made a mistake. I think this movie might end up being bad." You try to shake the feeling away, resolute in not being a pessimist. Unfortunately for you, you were right: the movie ends up being bad.

Let's talk about those moments early on in a movie that lets you know that it's going to be shit.

My moment happened almost twenty years ago. I was in my teens, naive and hopeful. I was anticipating this movie for months. It came out while I was away on a trip with my family. All I could think of was getting back home to watch this movie. The trip was a distraction, a hindrance. I didn't want any part of it. All I wanted was the movie.

When I got back home, I went to see the first showing I could. I bought some popcorn and a soda, settled in my seat, convinced that I was about to have a great time.

Not even five fucking minutes into the movie, this happens:

HLB7NJd.gif

This is the opening scene of Jurassic Park 3. I was 14 when I saw it, and yet, I could tell, right then and there at that moment, that I was about to watch a terrible movie.

Jurassic Park 3 ended being a bad movie. Weak plot, bad characters and unexciting set pieces. The movie has a quality level of a direct-to-dvd regurgitation, but with better special effects than those movies. It was a hard disappointment for my younger self, who loved the first two movies, as well as dinosaurs in general.

Twenty years later, it's still a bad movie.
When JP3 came out it was back in a time when movie releases were significantly later in the UK than the US, and I was too eager to see a new JP that I shamefully admit I downloaded it.

However, unlike you my denial about how bad JP3 was lasted longer than the first scene. Until I ultimately got to see it in the cinema I flat out refused to believe I'd watched the actual final cut of the movie - like I'd downloaded some shitty pre-post version or something. I was very wrong.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Sad that Neill Blomkamp's Alien sequel, which was set to feature an older Hicks and Ripley, retconning Alien 3, was cancelled because Ripley Scott wanted to make Covenant.
William Gibson's script got adapted into a decent comic a few years back. It's worth a read. In his story, Hicks and Bishop are the protagonists, with Ripley and Newt actually getting to return to Earth together in the opening.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
I don't think TLJ is shit, but I did get a sinking feeling during the opening crawl. "The FIRST ORDER reigns!" I think was the opening. Give that we knew before TLJ came out that it literally takes place minutes after TFA ends, this makes zero sense. The First Order has reigned since when? Like an hour ago when they blew up Hosnian Prime? Reign is not the appropriate word to use there, and I feel like Johnson was trying to make it seem like more time had passed since TFA when it hadn't, and I didn't particularly like that. Finn waking up from his coma just a couple hours after being injured, yet Poe comes rushing in saying he must have a million questions even though he's only been out for a short time. Stuff like that doesn't sit right with me.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
yzTVazJ.png

The-Phantom-Menace-opening-crawl.jpg

It was quite polite of them to put the warning signs in the first ten seconds, now that I think of it.

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
I really like how every time a TLJ argument crops up, it ends up going the same route of two or more people clearly knowing they're on completely different sides of an issue that's been debated to death, they both know they're not going change each other's minds, yet still decide to engage each other anyway in a long series of sniping at each other that takes a larger and larger part of whatever discussion they took over.

Wait, no, I used the wrong word, hate, I really hate every time that happens.

Although I guess while I'm here on Star Wars: the classical example of being introduced to Jar Jar Binks in The Phantom Menace. Like honestly the first opening section of it is like, Fine, even if it's a bit shaky compared to the previous films and has memeable moments, it still manages a basic set up one could see themselves getting invested in. Innocent planet's getting invaded, the cause is from another shadowy player unknown to our heroes, it's a pretty ok action escape sequence, etc.

And then Mr. Binks shows up and that sinking feeling that you're gonna have a bad time slams you in the face as you realize this was looked at during filming, and editing, and at multiple times throughout, people went "Yeah, this is fine", even if some of it's just going be the result of people not wanting (or feeling they don't have the standing) to say no to George Lucas even if you really wish someone had done so.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
I don't give up on movies early on, but I can join on the Star Wars train with the moment when I knew the entire sequel trilogy would be garbage.

It was in TFA when (I don't know why I'm spoiling this) Kylo killed Han. That scene was what killed my interest in Star Wars. I knew that after that scene there was no way the ST could have a satisfactory ending for me (Kylo killed Han for no reason, so I didn't want to see him redeemed and an ending that had him redeemed would displease me. He was also Han and Leia's son, so I didn't want him dead, so an ending that saw him die would displease me. He was a villain, so I wanted to see him punished, so an ending in which he got away rather than dying or being redeemed would displease me.) From what I've heard, that saved me from seeing some terrible movies that came out after it

Lv99 Slacker

Oct 27, 2017
When Sam Smith's falsetto kicked in for the intro song to Spectre. God, it was dreadful to hear. The fact that it was allowed to be in its final state tipped me that I was, perhaps, not in for a great movie.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Oh no, Luke didn't treat the magic laser stick with enough reverence. It's so important to him that he didn't bring it with him.
That idea is like half the problem with JJ Abrams. Seen the same flaws his whole career. Things are important in a movie because they are important to the fans outside the movie and no effort is made to establish that importance in the film itself. Like the Khan reveal in Into Darkness means nothing to the characters but the film treats it with reverence because we the audience know it's like a thing in a different movie. Anakin's lightsaber is lost at Bespin and magically found again for really no reason and with no explanation and then placed on a pedestal for no reason other than for the audience to go googly eyed over. TLJ really cleaned up a lot of that and all the answer-less mystery boxes but then Abrams just hamfisted them back in, even the lightsaber, so here we are.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Was the Morgan Freeman science lecture bit of Lucy near the start? If so, that. Look, it's science fiction, it doesn't need to align with reality. But the approach they took just felt so dumb, I'd have just skipped all that and hidden the awful 'science' from the viewer, focus on the effect and not the cause.