• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You set to watch a movie, either at the theater or at home. You got your snacks and your drink. You're comfy, ready to have a good time. You start the movie.

For a short moment, everything is well. But not long after, something happens: your moviegoer instinct flares up in alert. "Oh no", you tell yourself. "I might have made a mistake. I think this movie might end up being bad." You try to shake the feeling away, resolute in not being a pessimist. Unfortunately for you, you were right: the movie ends up being bad.

Let's talk about those moments early on in a movie that lets you know that it's going to be shit.

My moment happened almost twenty years ago. I was in my teens, naive and hopeful. I was anticipating this movie for months. It came out while I was away on a trip with my family. All I could think of was getting back home to watch this movie. The trip was a distraction, a hindrance. I didn't want any part of it. All I wanted was the movie.

When I got back home, I went to see the first showing I could. I bought some popcorn and a soda, settled in my seat, convinced that I was about to have a great time.

Not even five fucking minutes into the movie, this happens:

HLB7NJd.gif

This is the opening scene of Jurassic Park 3. I was 14 when I saw it, and yet, I could tell, right then and there at that moment, that I was about to watch a terrible movie.

Jurassic Park 3 ended being a bad movie. Weak plot, bad characters and unexciting set pieces. The movie has a quality level of a direct-to-dvd regurgitation, but with better special effects than those movies. It was a hard disappointment for my younger self, who loved the first two movies, as well as dinosaurs in general.

Twenty years later, it's still a bad movie.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Cosner dolphin jumping out of the water put it back into epic territory.
200.gif

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
halloween 6

as soon as i saw the cult stuff i knew i was fucked for the next hour and a half

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Poor worldbuilding and not explaining to the audience what to expect in the first 15 minutes is a dead givaway that the film is going to be a mess.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DeafeningObviousAlpineroadguidetigerbeetle-max-1mb.gif

BvS intro where young Bruce is getting lifted up by bats. Something about it just struck me as being a clear red flag... then the rest of the movie happened.

GraphicViolets

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Xmen Apocalypse when the one guy who was wasn't even looking where he was aiming his bow managed to get the arrow the whole way through Magneto's wife and child

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Jason Voorhees is killed off in the first 5 minutes. - Jason Goes To Hell

"You're a beautiful motherfucker" - The Predator

The parents eating pot brownies scene in Transformers 2. That was actually the moment I decided to bail out of that entire franchise until Bumblebee

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rise of Skywalker's opening crawl. woof.

it may sound like I am exaggerating but the fact they literally didnt show us something as crazy as Palpatine making a message across the galaxy and just told us over a text scroll immediately told you everything about this movie's priorities and it's pacing.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Rise of Skywalker's opening crawl. woof.

it may sound like I am exaggerating but the fact they literally didnt show us something as crazy as Palpatine making a message across the galaxy and just told us over a text scroll immediately told you everything about this movie's priorities and it's pacing.
at least now we know fortnite exists in the star wars universe

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Oct 25, 2017

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it would have been so anticlimactic if he just put it his pocket. This showed that the film was going to be cheeky, surprising and fun, like Star Wars should be, and it fit where his character was at that point.

I can't help but think people may take Star Wars too seriously, who hate this scene, because it's a bit cheeky.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Honestly, the opening scene of Sixth Sense. I knew nothing about the movie except the trailer and my friend telling me "the twist is amazing. You never see it coming."

Then the first scene happens and it cuts to Bruce Willis talking about meeting with a kid he could help and I looked at my friend and said "He's dead right? It's his ghost"

Edit - As for the Last Jedi, I disagree but I think it's clear that those who like the movie and those who hate the movie are never going to get anywhere in such a conversation.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
DeafeningObviousAlpineroadguidetigerbeetle-max-1mb.gif

BvS intro where young Bruce is getting lifted up by bats. Something about it just struck me as being a clear red flag... then the rest of the movie happened.
I was thinking the scene nobody ever talks about with the security guards having a Gotham vs Metropolis Football game and the commentators make a huge deal about Metropolis winning the game which was basically the movie screaming "SUPERMAN WINS" in probably the least subtle way possible. This stood out to me because BvS at the time was praised for its sophistication when it actually doesn't trust the audience to understand nuance when it came to presenting its themes and ideas.

Superman also throwing a guy in the wall while carrying a gleeful, menacing expression was also a huge hint that the movie was not going to be good.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I dunno, that was schlocky, but I think it was about when Chewy "died" and then immediately not died that I really saw this going off the rails, and I'm not sure it really sunk in until after it was all over.
Yeah that's the moment for me too.

I mean the Hyperspace skimming to give us nostalgia set pieces one after the other too. But honestly the opening crawl was fine.

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
Luke tossing the lightsaber aside is actually a sign that you were about to get an actually good Star Wars movie, and not a bunch of fan wank.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Topic ended in 5 posts.

So many moments you could pause it on that were such red flags. The Goat Milk, Finn running out of his hospital bed, Leia Poppins....the shit bar HAS no low!
I think maybe you just take SW too seriously. Mark Hamill as an older, carefree Luke Skywalker doing that expression with the milk, was a lot of fun.

I think 'red flags' might be missing the point somewhat, it's meant to be, Rey wants to meet a legend, a hero, and she to grapple with him not being what she expected.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Something about the Mulan live action movie didn't sit with me during the brief intro, child sequence. I don't think it was shit, but it didn't prep me for how mediocre it was.