• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 15, 2018
Denmark
How is the state of modern wireless mice?
I bought the MX™ 1100 Cordless Laser Mouse based on reviews raving over how amazing it was and claiming there were no reasons to use corded mice anymore.
Despite its accolades, the mouse just sucked with latency and slow response and a heavy feel with terribly built mouse wheel.
I replaced it with a G500 and never looked back.

Is my stance against wireless mice still reasonable or has modern wireless mice actually improved?

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I own a G903 and it's the best mouse I've ever owned. It's lightning fast, feels great and the response time is indistinguishable from a wired mouse.

I was the same way as you and only owned,l either the G9X or MX518 or G500.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
the logitech g pro is supposed to be excellent, i really want one but it's pretty $$$ (review below is from a quake player, so low latency twitch controls are essential)

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
With a properly made wireless mouse, there's effectively no input lag unless you're using Bluetooth or something.

I'm not a gamer but I never felt any lag on even the cheap JetAccess mouse I have when it's not in BT mode.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Yup. I have a g305 and it's great. There's ones out there with better laser systems but there's absolutely no latency

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Rocking the Logitech Marathon M705 at home and work and can't be happier.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I've also been sticking with wired Logitech mice for fear of latency issues, but I've also almost splurged on a G903 in the past. Maybe I'll finally give it a go..

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
I'm using a G900 and it's the first wireless mouse that I've liked for playing games. I think their mice are well worth checking out.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Only Logitech G mice are, the rest are as good as they were before which is not great but usable for desktop etc.

Deleted member 2441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also chiming in as a G900 owner, nothing else wireless compares to Logitech's top models. Notice no difference between it and a wired mouse in terms of response, and it never loses connection.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using wireless mice since around 2005 - starting with the legendary Logitech G7 - without issues.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Logitech has either made a deal with the devil or uses some insane black magic because their current wireless mice have less latency then most wired competitors do and are the best mice in the market.

I've also been sticking with wired Logitech mice for fear of latency issues, but I've also almost splurged on a G903 in the past. Maybe I'll finally give it a go..
Their wireless mice have less latency. BLACK MAGIC

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Probably, but whou would buy a wireless mouse, when the LEGEND was just rereleased?

mx518-hero.png.imgw.1888.1888.png

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I picked up a G703 with a Powerplay mouse mat and it's a dream to use. Shape feels great, there's zero lag and no cord bothering me anymore with no need to ever plug it in. Bliss.

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
Yep, they are great! I have two different models.

Logitechh G403 Prodigy Wireless
https://www.logitechg.com/en-sg/products/gaming-mice/g403-prodigy-wireless-gaming-mouse.html
My main mouse, I use it wireless. If battery runs out I just connect it to the cable and continue gaming. Feel it's a hassel to have a cable because then you can't really move the mouse freely. So I really love using it wireless. Play all kind of games with it.
I feel this is a modern and wireless take on the holy grail that is Mx500/510/518 (there is a newly released version of the Mx518 now).

Logitech MX Master 2s
https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/mx-master-2s-flow
This is a heavy beast so mostly used when playing strategy gmes from the couch on the TV.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I use a wireless mouse (Logitech G903) to play high-level Counter-Strike, and some pros even use them at 1 million dollar LAN's... That should be enough to convince anyone!

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I use a Logitech 403 and don't have any complaints at all. I'm not a professional shooter player, though, so your mileage may vary.

ElOdyssey

Oct 30, 2017
Yup. I have a g305 and it's great. There's ones out there with better laser systems but there's absolutely no latency
Same. I was really against it at first because I had really bad experiences with previous wireless "gaming" mice but this one is super solid and accurate. Perfect for my hands too.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Logitech's Lightspeed Wireless tech is good. It's not perfect but is essentially on-par with all but the very best wired mice, and even outperforms many wired gaming mice.
Logitech's other wireless tech, which is tuned more for efficiency, is fine for things like office work, but not gaming.

Linus Tech Tips had a great video of them visiting Logitech with demonstrations of the G900 against some competitors' wireless mice:

Most other wireless mice - even those branded as gaming mice - still have issues. That includes Logitech's older wireless mice - I still have a G602 that I keep around as a backup for the G900 if I forget to charge it (I also really liked that mouse's button layout).
Bluetooth mice are terrible. I don't think I've even seen one which offers polling rates higher than 125Hz when used wirelessly. The DualShock 4 touchpad polls at 250Hz though, so it does seem like that should be possible.

Don't buy laser mice for gaming. Laser sensors are superior in some ways, but all suffer from a variety of issues which mean that they are not really suited for gaming (particularly FPS).

I have a G900 and it's great, except for the battery life - something that the G903 solves if you also buy the wireless charging pad.
My preference is typically ergonomic mice like Razer's DeathAdder, but the G900 is one of the few ambidextrous mice that I actually find comfortable to use.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
zmIidU0.jpg

Currently using the MX Master 2S and have absolutely no complaints. I mostly play slow-paced games, but it handles Apex Legends like a champ too. Best part is probably the battery life which easily goes above a month without charging. It is a bit heavy though, and I suspect some of my cs pro colleagues would find it to be a bit too chunky, but it's absolutely fine for me.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Absolutely, I'm using a Corsair Dark Core SE (2.4GHz mode with the dongle) and I don't feel any latency at all. Just smooth, snag-free gaming.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I have a Logitech G603 on its way. As far as I know, Logitech has BY FAR the best wireless mouse technology. The latency is the same as a wired mouse basically. Also the G603 uses AA batteries, which is a plus for me since I don't want some random integrated battery that will eventually die and I can't replace, and the batteries last 500 hours in the high performance mode (minimum latency), and something crazy like 2000 hours in the regular, non-gaming mode. Swapping batteries each few months, if that, sounds way better than having an integrated battery eventually stop working. I can't wait for it to get here.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I have Logitech G603 and it's great. Even if there's any latency (I can't tell), having no wire is much better.
How's the range? My desktop PC is on the floor, besides the desk. Will I need to plug the receiver into the extension cable or does it handle some distancie fine?

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Yes. I own a G903 and it's the best mouse I've ever owned. It's lightning fast, feels great and the response time is indistinguishable from a wired mouse.

I was the same way as you and only owned,l either the G9X or MX518 or G500.

Came to post this, I have the same mouse and it's better than any wired mouse I have ever owned.

It also has excellent charge life even after lots of use and feels great to use.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
the logitech g pro is supposed to be excellent, i really want one but it's pretty $$$ (review below is from a quake player, so low latency twitch controls are essential)

This is the best mouse I've ever owned. I can game for like a week on it before charging it, and it charges in like 30 min. It's so light and a really good shape.

If you want an idea of how trusted it is, you can see that there's a substantial amount of players on the overwatch league who use it in wireless mode on stage. There's no difference in latency from using it in wired mode, and if for some reason you have connection issues, it comes with a cable to sit the wireless dongle on your desk near the mouse rather than having it further from the mouse on your computer.

The only very weird slight criticism I have, is that while it's awesome that it's ambidextrous, having m4 and m5 buttons on each side that you can install or remove your liking, for some reason if you have both sides installed, it will only let you mirror the key binding for the m4 and m5 buttons on each side respectively. There's no way to have the off side give you two extra out of the way buttons for less needed functions. Weird limitation, but I'm probably one of the few weirdos who actually want that.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Used an MX510 for 10 years then one of the early Razer copperhead with the ambidextrous design (kinda sucked, good sensor though) then went back to Logitech MX518 and some other variants, tried some steelseries as well, which started to have problems after a year.

Today I use a G403. You have both wireless and wired to suit any ocasion. I don't feel any difference between any of the modes and I never had dropped inputs or any stutter or jumpyness; as there was with the early wireless stuff.

The technology is there, and you don't have to deal with cord drag.

Can't ask for much more.
The single downside is having to charge it.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Yes they are. Logitech's wireless mouse actually have faster response time than a lot of high end wired mouses. I own the G903 which has about 35 hour of continuous battery life and it can turn wired and you can use it in that state and it'll charge quick. The Gpro has like 60 hour battery life.

Honestly the wired = lower lag and wireless = more lag is just not true anymore. You know even the Dualshock 4 actually has a 7ms advantage in wireless mode when compared to the usb wired mode that v2 Dualshock 4 controllers have. That's like a...lot ! The DS4 in wireless mode is actually the controller with lowest input lag.

In any case playing with a wireless mouse has a lot more benefit than it seems to have initially. The cord affects your mouse movement a lot more than you think and without it the angle and the way you hold the mouse is flexible and incredibly natural.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I've used a Logitech g602 for years and it's been great, never noticed a single issue with it

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly this thread kind of makes me regret picking the G502 over the G903, I mean I love the G502 to bits but proper wireless would have been nice. I still just don't really understand the key-layout of the G903, it seems to have less keys than the G502.

Nov 4, 2017
I'm still using my Microsoft Sidewinder X8 from like 10 years ago and it's still holding strong. I don't notice any lag. The user-replacable AA Ni-MH battery and magnetic charge cable are a nice plus.

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
I have the Logitech G Pro Mouse with the PowerPlay Mat (which charges the mouse as well as acting as the receiver).

Its fucking fantastic. It's my first wirless PC mouse and i came from using a wired Razer Deathadder.

This is it on the mat (not my Pic)

Logitech-G-Pro-Wireless-Review-2.jpg
I also picked up the Keyboard to complete the aesthetic (also not my pic)
gprokb-profile-1.jpg

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
How's the range? My desktop PC is on the floor, besides the desk. Will I need to plug the receiver into the extension cable or does it handle some distancie fine?

I have extension cable with all my wireless adapters on top of the table, for some reason my table blocks a lot of signals, so you might need one as well. My other pc has usb ports at the back of the monitor, it works fine.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I have the Logitech G Pro Mouse with the PowerPlay Mat (which charges the mouse as well as acting as the receiver).

Its fucking fantastic. It's my first wirless PC mouse and i came from using a wired Razer Deathadder.

gprokb-profile-1.jpg

Honestly when I saw the Power Play concept I was genuinely flabbergasted why this wasn't already a thing in 2010 or earlier, it makes so much sense! You don't get alot of benefits with a full wireless mouse but a cable can still be annoying on the mouse itself so why not move it into the mouse-pad? It also solves the problem of the mouse ever running out of battery! I just wish it weren't as expensive.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The only very weird slight criticism I have, is that while it's awesome that it's ambidextrous, having m4 and m5 buttons on each side that you can install or remove your liking, for some reason if you have both sides installed, it will only let you mirror the key binding for the m4 and m5 buttons on each side respectively. There's no way to have the off side give you two extra out of the way buttons for less needed functions. Weird limitation, but I'm probably one of the few weirdos who actually want that.
That's good to know, as I started to consider one of those for the lighter weight and improved battery life compared to the G900, and the possibility of using a powerplay mat for wireless charging (though it's not ideal for my setup).
I use that feature on my G900 all the time. I leave mouse 4/5 at their default assignments, but on the other side I have the forward button bound to mouse 3 rather than clicking the wheel, and the backwards button set to shift the DPI to 800 (for things like menu control if I am using high DPI in a game).

This is the one frustrating thing about Logitech really: they update products individually.
The G Pro does not replace the G900/G903, but they have not updated the G90X with the new "Hero" sensor that brings significant power-saving improvements; allowing for better battery life, or reducing the size of the battery to cut back weight.
Also the G603 uses AA batteries
Oh, that's great. I didn't know they had released a mouse with their Lightspeed tech (and the newer "Hero" sensor) which would run off AA batteries.
I still keep a G602 around because of that, as it sips power compared to the G900 - especially if you switch the mouse to its power-saving mode (125Hz polling). I really like that I only have to swap out the batteries (Eneloops) instead of charging that mouse. The main downside is that AA batteries add a lot of weight (relatively) to a gaming mouse.
I know that some mice have actually included optional weights in the past, but FPS gamers at least tend to prefer the lightest mouse possible. Many even complained about the weight of the G900/903.

If the receiver is connected to a top USB port, rather than a recessed one on the back of the PC, I'm sure it won't be an issue.

Ababol

Oct 25, 2017
They are up to scratch as long as you are talking about some Logitech models (G304/305/603/703/900/903/Pro Wireless), SteelSeries or Razer.

The rest are still as bad as ever.

Oct 25, 2017

gprokb-profile-1.jpg
What's the name of the keyboard? Is it mechanical?

Oct 26, 2017
I have G403s in both the wireless and wired variants. Overall I like the wired version a little bit better as it's lighter and moves just as well as the wireless when used with a mouse bungee. But I have no complaints about the sensor performance or input lag.

I think I'll try to snag whatever Finalmouse puts out next, I really want the lightest mouse available.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Had g305 for a while, no issues what so ever but felt a bit too tiny for my taste and recently picked g703 from amazon for 65€

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I've been using my Razer Naga since 2014, and it's exactly the same performance wise in wired or wireless (I play lots of twitch shooters).

It's also incredibly durable, having used it for gaming and everyday use pretty much every day, still in perfect condition.