• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
What is in the battle pass.

Why can't we pay full price for a damn shooter at launch and just get everything. Maps are free but there is free stream of content and a premium one. What.

...To fund the post-launch content? Like I get that people want FREE FREE FREE but you don't get tons of free content and have no way to monetize.

Activision isn't hurting for money but game development costs continue to rise and shit is getting really expensive.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
Yup, they'll go out of style next gen like all the trends do.

I think out of all the monetisation methods over the years I think Battle passes are probably here to stay. If done correctly they keep players engaged with the game and players feel like they are getting content for their money. You also get to partake and not spend money.
Obviously like all things it can be abused (e.g the Grind, lack of content) but aside from purchasing content from a store front it probably the next best thing we have

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
...To fund the post-launch content? Like I get that people want FREE FREE FREE but you don't get tons of free content and have no way to monetize.

Activision isn't hurting for money but game development costs continue to rise and shit is getting really expensive.
So what is in it? Different skins for characters and guns?

Everytime maps are free, it is obviously less maps than paid. When folks paid 49.99 for a DLC pass, it was 4 maps released every 3 months. I bet we get 1-2 maps a season now .. Plus having///or WANTING, to pay for a pass.

Any idea what is in the pass?

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Yup, they'll go out of style next gen like all the trends do.
Honestly wouldn't even mind it because with more and more games implementing them I'm starting to dislike them more and more as it feels like I'm forced to play games so content (even if its just cosmetic) isn't locked away forever. I've played hours of Black Ops 4 even when I didn't feel like it at the time just so I could complete the Contraband Stream just so I could get the content and most importantly the Ultra Weapon Bribe from it.
This is probably gonna be an unpopular opinion, but I actually prefer cosmetic only loot boxes while the game also rewards you with an in-game currency for completing challenges or getting duplicates which can they be used to buy the specific items you did. Modern Warfare Remastered and WWII did this to a certain extend and it honestly wasn't that bad.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I think? Here is some examples of the variants:

MW-OP-PACK-01.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-09-24-at-4.07.38-PM-1021x580.png

Yes. Weapon Variants contain preset attachments. It's possible for you to get a weapon variant that features attachments you haven't unlocked yet giving you a sneak peek at how certain attachments feel.

You cannot transfer those attachments to other weapons, but you can recreate a weapon build from a variant you don't possess if you have those exact attachments unlocked. I think variant paint jobs and skins may be the only things you can't recreate.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So what is in it? Different skins for characters and guns?

Everytime maps are free, it is obviously less maps than paid. When folks paid 49.99 for a DLC pass, it was 4 maps released every 3 months. I bet we get 1-2 maps a season now .. Plus having to pay for a pass.

Any idea what is in the pass?

You only need to pay for the Pass if you want more cosmetics and you also get (seemingly) enough CoD Points from 1 season of the BP to allow you to buy the premium in the next season.

Cosmetics will include Weapon Variants, Charms, Character Skins, and more.

Yes. Weapon Variants contain preset attachments. It's possible for you to get a weapon variant that features attachments you haven't unlocked yet giving you a sneak peek at how certain attachments feel.

You cannot transfer those attachments to other weapons, but you can recreate a weapon build from a variant you don't possess if you have those exact attachments unlocked. I think variant paint jobs and skins may be the only things you can't recreate.

Wait, so can you not get a gun variant and then put your own attachments on it? Or am I confused?

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah... I'm not a fan of lootboxes, but I hate battlepasses even more. I already have a job, dont need to distribute my time between multiple battle passes and multiple games.
Atleast with the lootbox system a la Modern Warfare remaster, for example, you can earn the guns at your own leisure. Their certainly dancing around their words here "how the economy will evolve over time" etc.

This is not a f2p game, it didn't need this garbage. All this is is a system of gambling even worse than lootboxes, now their just using the pain/pleasure principle on a more intrinsic level than simply money= instant gratification reward, now it's whether you want to waste your life grinding for something, or pay to not waste as much of your life earning something.

HomespunFur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's a game that costs $60 and gets a new game every year.
So you get 1 year of support for the game.
How is it unrealistic to ask for that stuff to be free?
This game sells millions and millions of copies and makes more than enough money for it not to be a problem.

Last edited:

Phil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd Just pay an extra 200$ to unlock every fucking thing I don't have time for this battlepass bullshit......

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game sells millions and millions of copies and makes more than enough money for it to be a problem.
Exactly. And quite frankly, if gaming is turning into battlepass and frantic fun draining grind to get something in game or be at a major disadvantage if you don't, I would rather pay $80, even $90 a game and not be psychologically nickel and dimed into said mechanics.

Is it too much to ask to get one year support for a $60 game? Or are we being manipulated into thinking they have no choice, they have to milk us dry?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
This game sells millions and millions of copies and makes more than enough money for it to be a problem.

I mean your getting a ton of free stuff already.

You're getting: All maps (Multiplayer and Spec Ops), modes, and guns for free, on top of also having a free path on the Battle Pass.

Yet that isn't enough?

Also you do realize it's not like all the money they make goes towards Infinity Ward, right?

Like damn. Activision isn't trust worthy but this thread is: "LOL I DON'T READ" in full force.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Let me guess weapons will be a level 100 reward and once the season is up and you havent reached that level you lose the opportunity to earn that weapon yeah no thanks.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
When Supply Drops have a pool of thousands of items and most of them are something you don't want, they're basically useless. They made this worse and worse over time to the point that you would unlock a single camo that only worked on a single gun instead of earning a universal camo that would work on all guns, etc.

At least now you can look at the Battle Pass at the beginning of a season and determine if it's something you even want to attempt, and if you do, you can pay for it. But you don't have to.
I could stick on WWII right now. Play for two hours, and i would unlock at least a heroic skin (epic skin). I could any game with a free battle pass and il unlock a spray tag. Its not even close

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
You only need to pay for the Pass if you want more cosmetics and you also get (seemingly) enough CoD Points from 1 season of the BP to allow you to buy the premium in the next season.

Cosmetics will include Weapon Variants, Charms, Character Skins, and more.

Wait, so can you not get a gun variant and then put your own attachments on it? Or am I confused?

You can alter the variants you get. For example, if you want to swap the scope on the XRK with a different one you can.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
So does this mean I have to login (almost) every day or else I won't be able to complete the battle pass, and miss out on items forever? That kind of sucks tbh. Missable items in online games is such a shitty trend.
Your average COD player logins in every day, multiple times a day and is probaby the only game they play until next year.

Depends on how they allow you to unlock progress. Do you have to do stupid quests or could you just play the game and make progress that way.

Wonder if the XP will increase between the days or stay steady.

HomespunFur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean your getting a ton of free stuff already.

You're getting: All maps (Multiplayer and Spec Ops), modes, and guns for free, on top of also having a free path on the Battle Pass.

Yet that isn't enough?

Also you do realize it's not like all the money they make goes towards Infinity Ward, right?

Like damn. Activision isn't trust worthy but this thread is: "LOL I DON'T READ" in full force.

It's not enough no, all the stuff they are selling in the premium store and battle pass system should absolutely be free as well.
I'm not sure why that's unrealistic, it's not like they wouldn't be making millions in profit without it.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
You can alter the variants you get. For example, if you want to swap the scope on the XRK with a different one you can.

Oh okay cool.

It's not enough no, all the stuff they are selling in the premium store and battle pass system should absolutely be free as well.
I'm not sure why that's unrealistic, it's not like they wouldn't be making millions in profit without it.

Sorry but considering how much content we're already getting and how much will be free, this is just unreasonable to me.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This seems like a pretty clear statement of intent to keep things cosmetic all throughout the life cycle of the game and keep things like weapons only unlockable via progression and yet this entire thread is people Chicken Little-ing. I'm a cynical skeptic too when it comes to companies like Activision but geez.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I'd honestly rather buy a season pass than have a battle pass. Battle passes feel like work. I experienced this with apex legends, literally have to calculate how long you have to play every day to be able to get everything. Not for me

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I've been on the fence but this has swayed me to order it, it's about as good as we're ever going to get with CoD.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
LOL ok, I'm definitely out... I already despise the concept behind the Battle Pass (insane grind to unlock stuff AFTER you paid for it...), but I can tollerate it in a F2P... but in a 60-70€ game?!

This is bulls**t, really... shame on Activision and whoever will support this.

EDIT: I've read that Battle Pass will contain exclusive weapons and attachments too... if it's only cosmetic then it's different.
Still bad since BP is basically a sh***y job that you pay for doing, but at least the people what are willing to waste time on farm will not have different weapons from people that "just" paid the damn game...

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
This game sells millions and millions of copies and makes more than enough money for it not to be a problem.

"Hey devs you made a great game worthy of the $60 I paid but get your asses back in there and work for free for the next year adding shit for me"
This Call of Duty has the most content at launch of the series, there went your $60.

Balancing, patches and such should be free as it is,
You want extra content you are going to get charged for it elsewhere.
Its better than map packs and its sure as hell better than loot boxes.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Just bought it, ÂŁ46 is super expensive but I like everything they said. I actually like Battle Passes because they give you an extra reason to log on. I just hope some of the PC issues are fixed from beta.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
"Hey devs you made a great game worthy of the $60 I paid but get your asses back in there and work for free for the next year adding shit for me"
This Call of Duty has the most content at launch of the series, there went your $60.

It's not for free. It's to attract more sales instead of syphoning money from existing users
What Activision has done is why you see player bases contract over time.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
As usual, publishers will always find new ways of wringing players for cash. Now instead of a slot machine you pay for the privilege of grinding for rewards. Their methods may have changed, but they won't lose a buck.

Free HK

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if I'll pick up a battle pass, but there not being any lootboxes--at least for now--gave me all I needed to know before preordering.

Oct 25, 2017
The skins were awful, and tons of "Decals", so disrespectful of folks time
Those character patches that literally only appeared on character models were the dumbest thing I've ever seen as a reward.

I hated every set of gear streams in Black Ops 4.
im playing a military game, dear god stop it with zombie and super hero skins.

If Infinity Ward sells more classic skins like the 3 in the operator edition i'd probably buy all of them.
MW2 Rangers
MW2 Seals
MW2 Spetsnaz
MW2 TF141
MW3 Delta

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
The mayhem that will be caused if they release some other form of slot machine type mechanic that isn't technically a "lootbox." Then again the company is so bad that at this point you kinda get what you deserve if you buy something from them. So much terrible shit was in the last game and most stayed there despite upset players. I think they will fuck this game up.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah... I'm not a fan of lootboxes, but I hate battlepasses even more. I already have a job, dont need to distribute my time between multiple battle passes and multiple games.
Atleast with the lootbox system a la Modern Warfare remaster, for example, you can earn the guns at your own leisure. Their certainly dancing around their words here "how the economy will evolve over time" etc.

This is not a f2p game, it didn't need this garbage. All this is is a system of gambling even worse than lootboxes, now their just using the pain/pleasure principle on a more intrinsic level than simply money= instant gratification reward, now it's whether you want to waste your life grinding for something, or pay to not waste as much of your life earning something.
You hate.... Earning stuff just by playing the game? What?

How do you think post-launch content gets funded?

Also, do you not understand the difference between a gambling mechanic and something like a battle pass where the rewards are predetermined?

I love how everyone on this forum acts like $60 is nothing, like that isn't already a very high price to buy a piece of entertainment for.
$60 has been the MSRP for a long time despite video game development prices rising, inflation, etc...

Post-launch content costs money to develop.

HomespunFur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I love how everyone on this forum acts like $60 is nothing, like that isn't already a very high price to buy a piece of entertainment for.