• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017

A message from the Call of Duty team.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is almost here. From the moment this project began three years ago, the energy has been extraordinary.

We've set our sights on not only creating the best game possible this year, but also on breaking down walls and bringing the community together. Starting with Modern Warfare, we will be:

· Introducing crossplay to unite the community across platforms for the first time.

· Removing Season Pass and a la carte DLC multiplayer map packs to ensure everyone can play together.

· Delivering free post-launch multiplayer maps and modes for all players.

· Releasing post-launch multiplayer maps and modes simultaneously on all platforms.

We are excited about what these changes will bring to Call of Duty players. That said, we also recognize there is one more topic that many fans are interested to learn more about.

Today, let's address the basics for the in-game economy coming in Modern Warfare.

· We are introducing a new Battle Pass system, not a loot box system.

· All functional content that has an impact on game balance, such as base weapons and attachments, can be unlocked simply by playing the game.

· The new Battle Pass system will allow players to see the content that they are earning or buying. Battle Passes will launch timed to new, post-launch live seasons, so you can unlock cool new Modern Warfare-themed content that matches each season.

· With the new Battle Pass system, players will be able to earn COD Points by playing the game.

· There will be both a Free Stream and a Premium Stream of content in the Battle Pass System in Modern Warfare. New base weapons will be earned through gameplay, simply by playing Modern Warfare. Functional attachments for base weapons can be unlocked through gameplay as well just like in the game's Beta.

· The Battle Pass and the In-Game Store will feature a variety of cosmetic content that does not impact game balance.

The Battle Pass System for Modern Warfare will not launch when the game releases on October 25th. Here's why: First and foremost, we are all focused on making the Day One experience awesome. Second, it's important to us that everyone who is playing Modern Warfare has the chance to work their way through the new game and unlock all the rewards that are waiting for you. We expect to launch this system for Modern Warfare later this year.

Understandably there are still questions around how the economy will evolve throughout the post-launch, live seasons. We recognize this will take time to fully demonstrate. Please know we are committed to delivering a fair system guided by the principles we've outlined here, and will continue to monitor feedback and player engagement to help us achieve that goal.

Please look for more information on the live seasons and post-release content plans for Modern Warfare throughout the year and beyond.

We are looking forward to playing in just a few days.

Thank you.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
battlepass system is WAY better than any lootbox/paid DLC stuff. Just my 2 cents

Ralph

Oct 27, 2017
By "base weapons" do they mean there's going to be weapons that can't be obtained without the battlepass?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So basically the same system that BO4 initially started out with.

Except with there being a Free and Paid Battle Pass.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ignore this, forgot Destiny wasn't under them anymore

But it still sounds like a battle pass + Premium store

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So like fortnite then, except fortnite is f2p and this costs 60 quid/dollars. Might as well make the MP f2p at this point.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
If Destiny is any indication, fuck that lol

It's gonna be a battle pass combined with a Premium store I bet
A premium store is fine as long as it's only cosmetic garbage

The industry moving away from lootboxes is a good thing. Expensive skins are fine since people get exactly what they want if they're willing to spend the dough, no "hidden" fees

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Treyarch also tweeted it so it seems the devs and Activision intent on carrying this policy on with future games as well

Still wouldn't surprise me if mtx sales turn out be lower than BO4's which would then cause them to backtrack. Also, lol if this is true:

Sources have told CharlieIntel that Activision President Rob Kostich reportedly referred to the company as "Microtrans-Activision" in a recent meeting because of the reputation the company has right now, and he wants to change that.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
All functional content that has an impact on game balance, such as base weapons and attachments, can be unlocked simply by playing the game
I wonder what this means about the unlock requirement. They could technically be telling the truth if it takes forever to grind one weapon or attachment, so I hope you earn stuff at a decent pace. Additionally, the "Base Weapons" wording makes me wonder if that means new weapons will come from Battlepasses, which could have serious balance implications.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A premium store is fine as long as it's only cosmetic garbage

The industry moving away from lootboxes is a good thing. Expensive skins are fine since people get exactly what they want if they're willing to spend the dough, no "hidden" fees

I don't want to derail, but a lot of folks were mad because "cosmetic" stuff formerly associated with raids became Premium items in the shop.

Shouldn't be a problem with this game because everything was formerly behind a lootbox/salvage system

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine believing Activision's lies.

1CWAqHN.jpg

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I'm really glad that Fortnite made this such a big thing, battle passes are pretty much the ideal monetisation imo.

Oct 26, 2017
It's not completely clear from the wording if the weapons are actually in the free stream of the battle pass, so I'm just going to assume they're not.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
We'll see where we're at in 6 months, definitely can't take what Activision puts out at there word, sounds good though, its a step in the right direction

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to derail, but a lot of folks were mad because "cosmetic" stuff formerly associated with raids became Premium items in the shop.

Shouldn't be a problem with this game because everything was formerly behind a lootbox/salvage system
And Destiny 2 is now on a f2p model so something has to give and cosmetic stuff is the way to go.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
We went from paid DLC with few maps to microtransaction in game to found new maps released for free to lootboxes and now to paid battle pass.

AfterTheFall

Oct 27, 2017
So you pay for the game which is £50 and then pay whatever for a battle pass each month which most people will do because of their friends. Doesn't sound great to me...

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So you pay for the game which is £50 and then pay whatever for a battle pass each month which most people will do because of their friends. Doesn't sound great to me...

If you can buy the BP with CoD Points and they do the same as CoD Mobile and Fortnite does, then you'll be able to continuously buy the BP with that earned currency.

Also Seasons are going to last likely 2 - 3 months, not every month.

Oct 27, 2017
It's not completely clear from the wording if the weapons are actually in the free stream of the battle pass, so I'm just going to assume they're not.

It says all functional stuff with impact on gameplay is free, so we'll see. They could still pull out the good old "you can earn this for free but it takes years to unlock, here let me offer you a shortcut for a few dollars".

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
100% cosmetic battle pass? Perfect, best monetisation system we can expect in 2019. Free gameplay content, not-randomized cosmetic crap for those who fancy them. If they keep it that way over the life of the game, this is gonna be a good exemple of redemption.

Oct 25, 2017
Unlocking guns by playing the game sounds good. There's just one catch they can do: are the guns going to be on the battle pass? This would make a gun time limited - you must complete the pass grind in time (or buy levels with COD Points) or lose your chance to unlock the gun forever.

Before Black Ops 4 put the guns into loot boxes, they had them on the battle pass and if you didn't get them in time they went into loot boxes.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
100% cosmetic battle pass? Perfect, best monetisation system we can expect in 2019. Free gameplay content, not-randomized cosmetic crap for those who fancy them. If they keep it that way over the life of the game, this is gonna be a good exemple of redemption.
Reading their statement makes me think new equipment added post-launch will be unlocked by leveling up the current season's battle pass, which potentially means some stuff might only be available for a limited time. So even if it's free, they're going to use FOMO to try to get people to keep playing a lot, instead of playing here and there and unlocking equipment at their own pace.

That's just speculation based on how the statement sounds to me though, of course.

What's Jim going to make a video about now?
A $60 game having a paid battle pass, presumably.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dont believe their lies. Treyarch said the same thing. Cosmetics only. Then changed their mind after a few months.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
So does this mean I have to login (almost) every day or else I won't be able to complete the battle pass, and miss out on items forever? That kind of sucks tbh. Missable items in online games is such a shitty trend.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, this is encouraging news, but I'm still suspicious about it not being available at launch. They're saving it for after the reviews hit again! If it's so fair, why not show reviewers?

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
This is much better! Battle pass > loot boxes, any day. You can see what you will get, too.
Is the premium battle pass cosmetic only?
And guns/attachments only earned in game/free battle pass? That's what I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding.
Can't wait for the 25th!