• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Konradleijon

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
The differences between myths and history can get really fuzzy especially if you go back in time enough.

Like the Salem Witch Trials for one thing, and people saying what a surprising event that a bunch of people that went all the way to a foreign continent because they couldn't tolerate other types of Christianity and murdered native Americans, could like acuse others of witchcraft,

also a certain type of "Christens" not all christens but the Conservative WASP type of Christianity that's we know call evangelicals and seem to forget they worship a brown Middle Eastern Jewish anti-Government person. And just hate the gays and only care about babies while they in their mothers womb, and not when they are already born

For a couple hundred years the WASP conservative Christians, as the hegemonic cultural force in America, portrayed the Salam witch trials as a spooky, inexplicable thing rather than a frankly typical outgrowth of Christian paranoia

I also dislike the way various deities of Hinduism are depicted in fantasy is still always annoying to me. This is especially obvious in settings where a god's power (or ability to influence the world or something) is based on how much they are worshiped: by the internal logic of the setting they should be far more powerful and active than most other pantheons of gods, but they tend to be treated as being on a par with them at best.

someone else told me it may have to do with sacrifices but people still leave offerings to the Hindu Gods. A lot actually.

Something related but that Supernatural episode Hammer of the Gods that portrays some pagen GODs eating human flesh including Ganesh. And Kali dating Baldur.

edit, you can have positive reimaginings to.

Last edited:

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Robin Hood

zkLVlPI.png

8DP5vj0.png

0JgpFqT.png

MEbOhjh.png

dr6FXoE.png

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Noah with Russel Crowe. Whether or not you believe or whatever is immaterial, why is there fucking rock giants in this movie?

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
circe-achilles-e1584595385809-760x510.png

One's a love story between a man and a demigod, the other the intrigues of Mount Olympus told from the perspective of a goddess.

Both sublime.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Sword in the Stone Disney animated movie. Besides fucking up the book it's based on, it fucks up the Arthur lore by fucking up Merlin. He tries to teach Arthur that magic doesn't solve problems and he's going to need to use brains and his good nature to solve problems, and then proceeds to solve every single one of Arthur's problems by using magic.

I hate it.

One's a love story between a man and a demigod, the other the intrigues of Mount Olympus told from the perspective of a goddess.

Both sublime.
Think you misread the thread. That being said, Circe IS a great book.

OP
OP

Konradleijon

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
Yeah what I hate when People say Taoism is good vs evil. Or the Yin/Yang symbol means good and evil.

its bullshit in Taoism the closes thing to evil is something that imbalances the Yin And Yang

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
I always hate how hades is depicted as evil and the bad guy, when hes not. worst he does is try to trick persephone to stay with him, and thats tame as shit compared to zeus. Though in geral the gods of the underworld being evil particularly when they govern the equivalent of heaven and hell.

OP
OP

Konradleijon

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
I always hate how hades is depicted as evil and the bad guy, when hes not. worst he does is try to trick persephone to stay with him, and thats tame as shit compared to zeus. Though in geral the gods of the underworld being evil particularly when they govern the equivalent of heaven and hell.
I know that happens a lot with death related deities see what happens to Anubis.

many religions do not have a fight between a good force and a Bad force of roughly equal power.

including Christianity G-D and Satan are not remotely close. Satan is the equivalent of a winery teenager doing the best to make younger children smoke tobacco.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Konradleijon

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
the treatment of Faeries has always bugged me. They have to be innately mysterious and not conform to human logic, and for me, once you step away from that it just doesn't work. Examples would include True Blood (where Faeries seem to shoot what 5e D&D would fall 'arcane blasts', and that's about it) and (alas) 5e Ars Magica, where the in-game fiction at the start has faeries coming to burn a village. This is WRONG. Faeries should be wreaking curses, causing disappearances and engaging in acts of petty spite, not acting like something out of Platoon.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I can't stand Brad Pitt's take on Achilles in Troy, which was a very mediocre movie anyway. Pitt just came off too edgy for me.

including Christianity G-D and Satan are not remotely close. Satan is the equivalent of a winery teenager doing the best to make younger children smoke tobacco.
Same with Islam. I'm curious as to when and where Satan got a boost in his power level (in pop culture anyway).

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
The Amazing Spider-Man movies: Peter Parker is a cocky asshole, Harry Osborn an unlikeable affluenza kid, Electro is a nerd, Rhino is Paul Giamatti on cocaine...

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In modern fiction involving Greek mythology, Cronus is often portrayed as a simple villain with no nuance. But in the original myths, his reign was actually a Golden Age. Even after Cronus was imprisoned in the Tartarus, Zeus eventually pardoned him, released him and made him the king of the Fortunate Islands (the best part of the Elysium). So it's more complicated than him being a simple villain. Hell in a way Zeus is the villain.

OP
OP

Konradleijon

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
I can't stand Brad Pitt's take on Achilles in Troy, which was a very mediocre movie anyway. Pitt just came off too edgy for me.

Same with Islam. I'm curious as to when and where Satan got a boost in his power level (in pop culture anyway).
Actually Islamic folklore is even worse for Satan where he is considered ugly and stupid, and not a real threat to heaven.

Oct 27, 2017
Luckily ever since the percy Jackson books came out ive seen people wise up to how much Hades was shafted and that Zues is actually the real dick

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I really like the way the Fate series adapts the Knights of the Round Table and their stories. I'm particularly fond of the adaptation of the Greek gods as these huge alien mechas as well (Artemis original form for example is basically an orbital satellite), and it's really cool how the series makes space for multiple interpretations of myths and legendary characters, allowing for multiple versions of any character even within the series.

OP
OP

Konradleijon

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
I really like the way the Fate series adapts the Knights of the Round Table and their stories. I'm particularly fond of the adaptation of the Greek gods as these huge alien mechas as well (Artemis original form for example is basically an orbital satellite), and it's really cool how the series makes space for multiple interpretations of myths and legendary characters, allowing for multiple versions of any character even within the series.
That's nice, the way they design some characters is worse then the original Fate/stay night a eroge game.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I am mostly over mythical creatures giving a shit about humans at all. It's a frankly egocentric repositioning of what they stand for, since they're meant to be representative of the terrible forces of nature which we have no true means of control over.
Evil was never a good look for Hades, but it's still better than when they portray him as some super-jealous asshole who has an envy-boner for Zeus. Man is that annoying.
I could understand being salty about it, but jealousy is just WAY too much.

And I don't think most interpretations really explain that some gods were revered, but many more were feared, Zeus included. Stories of the gods in Ancient Greece were almost ALL cautionary tales about their influence in the world.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Really wanted to enjoy the RDJ Sherlock Holmes flicks, but eeehhhhh...

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
There are zero decent portrayals of King Arthur in Hollywood. Clown shit. I hate every single adaptation and reimagining. The cowards need only adapt TH White, but as long as they refuse they will fail forever.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Both sublime.

I adore Song of Achilles. It's really impeccable that Miller can weave a legitimately compelling gay relationship through all the details established in the Illiad. Listening to the last third or so of that book breaks my heart every time

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
What's wrong with David Benioff?
It was a remark on how in Game of Thrones Benioff and Weiss decided to basically cut every supernatural aspect or highly limit it.

In Troy Benioff also wrote out all supernatural elements in favor for some faux-historical take on the myth. Not the only problem of that film of course (the erasure of gay characters is also a big one), but it's at the core of most of its biggest issues.

OP
OP

Konradleijon

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
It was a remark on how in Game of Thrones Benioff and Weiss decided to basically cut every supernatural aspect or highly limit it.

In Troy Benioff also wrote out all supernatural elements in favor for some faux-historical take on the myth. Not the only problem of that film of course (the erasure of gay characters is also a big one), but it's at the core of most of its biggest issues.
Yeah Troy Benioff has issues with religion, see turning the Faith of the seven from kind of corrupt, but is trying to do good things and punished Cersei, to a bunch of homophobic straw man.

Status
Not open for further replies.