• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
Post some in here if you know any!

So far all I can think of is Steve Lacy. XXXtentacion, Cudi and Childish Gambino have been experimenting with the rock sound a little bit lately

Steve Lacy is really fucking good

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Bloc Party has had multiple men of color during it's years. Not sure what the make up of the band is at the moment but the front man is British with Nigerian ancestry.

Ampersands

Oct 25, 2017
Algiers is a great politically conscious band fronted by a black man. Their music is a mix of post-punk and gospel. Check out their latest album.

Scrobbles

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if his music would really be classified as rock, but Dev Hynes from Blood Orange

TheWickedSoul

Oct 26, 2017
Alexis Brown from Straight Line Stitch, Howard Jones from Light The Torch and Adam Warren from Oceano come to mind

Scottify

Oct 25, 2017
I would say Body Count sticks out first in my mind. Here are some more I listen to.
Misha Mansoor from Periphery
Rob Cavestany & Mark Osegueda from Death Angel
Herman Li from Dragonforce

afroguy10

Keeping it 100K
Oct 25, 2017

Tosin Abasi of Animals as Leaders

Claudio Sanchez is the lead singer of Coheed and Cambria

There was also some who mentioned Misha Mansoor and Living Colour as well so pretty much everyone I would've said has already been said.

The only other one I can think of at the moment is Dug Pinnick of King's X, I think they're still putting out albums but their early stuff is great and really rocks hard, especially something like Black Flag!

lastflowers

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Wa
On top of TV on the Radio,

Benjamin Booker's debut album is absolutely excellent. I haven't listened to the sophomore release as much, but it seemed decent as well.

Valerie June, though not rock per se, is a bit closer with her sophomore album. I really love her debut, though.

afroguy10

Keeping it 100K
Oct 25, 2017
Forgot William Duvall as well who's been playing in rock/hardcore punk bands for yeeears but is currently co-vocalist and rhythm guitarist with Alice in Chains.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Sevendust and Skunk Anansie are two of my favorite bands and even better, they have an awesome song together called licking cream

N051DE

Oct 27, 2017
SEATTLE
Primitive man, Zeal and Ardor, Algiers, Trash Talk, Black Midi, Dance Gavin Dance all have a Person of Color in their bands.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen Robert Randolph and the Family band live a couple times back when I used be into the jam band-adjacent scene and they are dope, but I'm not sure if it's technically "rock". Wikipedia says it's funk/soul.

zerosum

Oct 27, 2017
I see Sevendust already mentioned...

I'll throw in Nonpoint and Fire From The Gods as bands led by PoC frontmen.

Fire From The Gods - The Voiceless

Nonpoint - Fix This

I generally go heavier, but I really enjoy both these bands.

Side note for Nonpoint... I got to meet them last year. All of them were super nice, humble dudes.

Jun 6, 2019
All of these bands have at least one POC member:

Incubus
Deftones
Sepultura
Thrice
Yellowcard
Prophets of Rage
Body Count
Korn
Guns n Roses
Downset
Madball
Fear Factory
Rx Bandits
At The Drive-In
Diztort
King's X
Jesus Piece

Not sure any of these qualify as modern, though.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
This is more of an acoustic (kind of dark & somber) "woman and a guitar" kind of thing, not rock, but MIrel Wagner is really cool and I'd imagine might appeal to rocker types: