• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Bowser?

• So long, gay Bowser!

Votes: 276 84.1%
  • Buh-bye!

Votes: 52 15.9%

• Total voters

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Mario is also not 64 mario so he doesn't look out of place.
maxresdefault.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
maybe its cuz i grew up with the DS version but i think Mario 64 bowser looks weird and Goofy and the remake bowser looks muuuuch better

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
i think the low resolution and PS1-like textures of the DS hurt DS Bowser more.

between the two i prefer DS Bowser since SM64 Bowser looks pretty bad and weird. this coming from someone who played SM64 when it was new on N64.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Bowser looks like ass in the N64 version, so I much prefer the DS model.

Then again, I'm one of those weirdos that actually (controls aside) prefer the DS version of 64, so...

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have played one bajillion hours of Super Mario 64, so any alterations to the game's graphics look insanely wrong to me.

Super Mario 64 DS does look better than the fan-made SGI Project to me, although I do totally appreciate the idea of what they're going for.

Oct 25, 2017
Somehow I find this one is not as jarring as he looks kinda distinct from all other Bowsers + retains that rainbow flair on the final stage. Stage 2 teleport needs work tho lol

Oof yeah, would be a decent amount of that version's dialogue for me. Was Frog's the only part of the script you took issue with?

Old version for context:

Modern one looks pretty different and out of place to me due to my familiarity with the older one

It sucks how the DS version loses all of the cool shading from the N64 for the final Bowser fight.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really not fond of the DS version and I really hope that whatever/if anything is coming down the pipe for switch that it is handled differently.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone preferring OG Bowser is on crack.
OG Bowser looked *fucking terrible*, and furthermore, the damn cartridge even shows it was a botched attempt at making the same Bowser as modern Bowser. It's just really poor modelling.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
In general, I liked most of the monster redesigns from RE2/3 to their recent remakes--they're usually as good, if not better than the originals, in my opinion (RE3R's hunters may be my favorite version of them). The one big exception I have is William Birkin's fourth monster form.

latest

G-4 in RE2 concept art.

latest

G-4 in RE2R.

I can see what they were going for--G-5 in both games is a big limbless blob, so going from giant panther Birkin in the classic game to a visibly degrading thing could work--it's just the new G-4's not terribly imposing. It's actually smaller than the previous form (G-3 probably was the highlight of the game in terms of monsters for me).

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
Pokémon FireRed is a GORGEOUS game, but I really think Game Freak should have replaced all GBA speakers with GBC chips instead.
This is why I'm not that crazy about the Gen 1 and 2 Pokemon remakes.

I haaaate the FR/LG/Smash Pokemon Trainer design for Red so much.

278px-FireRed_LeafGreen_Red.png

What an absolute Jabroni. A total downgrade from the original badass version:

Red_Green_Red.png
426px-Red_on_bike.png

At least in LGPE they fixed this.

I've also never been a huge fan of the design of Leaf compared to the unused Red and Green concept version that the manga used.

4a3de7c2fd4547a4286bd4a619d0fd95dd1a8167r1-482-700v2_uhq.jpg
590px-Green_RGB_chapter_Adventures.png

Actually I don't like any of the player character redesigns from any remake as much as the originals. The Diamond and Pearl remakes had better have character customization.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Uhhhhh, no way lol. SM64 was a great game but it has not aged well in terms of it's visuals, bowser in the original SM64 looks like ass compared to the modern design. Liike, just look at this jumble of polygons. Modern Bowser looks fine, and he was a welcome update for the DS version.

bowser-cropped.original.jpg

Looked great back when it first came out, but even after a couple of years we were seeing better 3D models in N64 games, like Banjo Kazooie or Pokemon Stadium 2.

This weirdly looks more like Bowser Jr now.

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really worried about the All Stars 2 version. Yes, the graphics of the N64 version are absolutely primitive by modern standards but the character designs are part of what makes Mario 64 so magical. It is both a revolutionary game and a product of its time.

They can't mess with that. If they gloss everything up and rip and replace with current generation character designs, its going to seriously fuck with the magic formula that makes Mario 64, Mario 64.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Man, it's weird how much people consider the current art "modern" or "NSMB"

This is art from SMW:
JRVzdL7.png

This is always the way he was supposed to look. They've always been trying to make the games look like the art but had to make compromises due to limitations. 64 more than any other game had to compromise its artstyle and stuff like Bowser and Thwomps looked awful. They didn't really get there until Sunshine and 64DS.

Dark Mantonio

Nov 1, 2017
Link's model & animations in OoT3DS make my brain short-circuit. Especially the running animation, it seems like the pace at which he's plodding along doesn't quite match with his actual running speed.

oot3ds1e1jm0.gif

Still can't get over how out of place this looks after playing the original. Especially the way he waves his arms around while moving.

What other remake/remaster changes hurt you era?

Disgusting and wrong Bowser in Mario Maker
D504YEXUYAAT3c5.png

Agree with these.

He's looking down there, his eyes are green-ish.

png-transparent-super-mario-world-bowser-super-mario-bros-3-mario-yoshi-wario-land-super-mario-land-3-grass-video-game-fictional-character.png

This is cool as hell. Wish they did something like this instead of the bog-standard design that we ended up with.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
Still can't get over how out of place this looks after playing the original. Especially the way he waves his arms around while moving.

I think Bowser's new model looks great! His new look works out because the rest of the game was updated, too, creating a cohesive style. His bouncy-ass walking animation, however, is definitely overdone IMO. Just looks awkward.

Disgusting and wrong Bowser in Mario Maker
D504YEXUYAAT3c5.png
THIS change, however, I ain't cool with. He really sticks out against the distinctive Super Mario World style.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Going back to some older Mario games, and the lack of design consistency stands out for me. I actually like the Bowser design in the DS remake.

The Koopalings and how Bowser looks in SMW will always peeve me, as they don't even look like the artwork of them.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really worried about the All Stars 2 version. Yes, the graphics of the N64 version are absolutely primitive by modern standards but the character designs are part of what makes Mario 64 so magical. It is both a revolutionary game and a product of its time.

They can't mess with that. If they gloss everything up and rip and replace with current generation character designs, its going to seriously fuck with the magic formula that makes Mario 64, Mario 64.

Gotta do 'er Halo MCC style - have the old look, and a new one, too!

He has bloodshot eyes in the official renders for Mario 64 and looking like the official renders is the whole point of the project
The bloodshot eyes I don't have a problem with – It's just that the Bowser model just straight-up doesn't look like the official renders. Him and Peach almost look like placeholders or something...! The project is still a WIP so here's to hoping.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bowser looked pretty weird in OG SM64 and the DS version more closely resembles the concept art of Bowser from SM64 anyway, so I don't agree there.

SM64_Mario_Swings_Bowser.png

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
I played origin Mario 64 and the ds version when each was released and I think the old bowser model looks like ass. Glad they changed it in the ds port/remaster.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Modern Bowser ? That's actually classic Bowser, if anything SM64 was a new design. Only used in game since artwork Bowser is classic Bowser like the one in 64 DS

riq

Feb 21, 2019
Just completed 64 for the first time yesterday. Gotta say the original model looks dumb, incoherent and almost unrecognizable and I love it.

I have a weird history with Bowser. His Mario RPG model is the reason I picked an SNES over an N64 as a kid. ("Look dad, there's a 3D dragon in this one!")
Completely fooled by this boi:
bowsersmrpg.png

Second game I ever got had my favorite depiction of Bowser ever and no final boss design ever surpassed it in my opinion (even if the fight is piss easy)
maxresdefault.jpg

And yeah, what in the world where they thinking with the Mario Maker incarnation. They could have reused the original sprite and just adjusted its pallet instead.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mostly love how the DS version looks, but I won't lie: I have a deep fondness for how the OG 64 Bowser looks, especially his color scheme

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I understand neither the topic nor the poll.

I mean, I understand the words and sentences...

toad02

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Uhhhhh, no way lol. SM64 was a great game but it has not aged well in terms of it's visuals, bowser in the original SM64 looks like ass compared to the modern design. Liike, just look at this jumble of polygons. Modern Bowser looks fine, and he was a welcome update for the DS version.

bowser-cropped.original.jpg

Looked great back when it first came out, but even after a couple of years we were seeing better 3D models in N64 games, like Banjo Kazooie or Pokemon Stadium 2.

This old bowser looks like a disguised chicken

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Original Mario 64 Bowser looks like an adolescent Bowser Jr.
The new design is way better.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
This is why that Mario 64 SGI Render mod is so great and necessary, and this is why we need fan projects. Whatever Nintendo will officially do with their remake/remaster, they would never, ever, ever preserve the original's character models' proportions and artstyle, just as no other modern company would, they would just sanitize it and make everything match their current official Mario artwork guidelines.
I liked Big Face Mario way more and i'm glad to see a modern rendition of that, also playing as an old school Silicon Grafics render is a dream of so many 90s child, and i'm so glad we can actually get something like this.