• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Full image:
Ehj-TRHWAAALgpc
$9999 for both? Or either one? Surely no one is going to choose the DE one?

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not that concerned, I just want to know if I need to buy one in advance or not, rather than set it up, sigh and then have to pull it all down when a new HDMI cable arrives.
Pro arrived with new 4K60 HDR-ready cables. PS5 will 100% come with newest cable spec also.

No headset ? I have one but I can't remember if the PS4 came with one or not.
This time, every DualSense has a mic and a speaker, so everyone will be able to chat without a headset.

Optmst

Apr 9, 2020
Dat SSD + DS must be really really expansive!
I wounder if this will force Sony's hand to acknowledge the leak 🤔
Good thing this comes with a free base "stand?", at this price point it should be expected

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Console uses 12 channels from SSD controler to NAND chips. If it was normal 8/16 setup they could have stuck to the traditional storage size.
As far as I could find, the most high-end nand controllers available are 8 channels, which explains why they had to make a custom one at 12.

The interesting aspect is that they can use lower price, slower nand (TLC,QLC) to get the same performance as the high end PC nvme.

Akuma-san メカ豪鬼

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Philippines

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Model numbers, "oooooooooh"
This is what happens when peeps are thirsting for info

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
As far as I could find, the most high-end nand controllers available are 8 channels, which explains why they had to make a custom one at 12.

The interesting aspect is that they can use lower price, slower nand (TLC,QLC) to get the same performance as the high end PC nvme.
yeah so its a very nice way to save money and get performance gains.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
Anyone know why the HDD is 825GB? Such a strange size

That's for maximum Blast Processing!

Kidding.

The reason is that they are using 64 Gibibyte NAND modules distributed on 12 channels. 64 Gibibytes = 68 Gigabytes. As each module access one of those 12 channels, you can multiply the numbers to get the total space availabe: 64 x 12 = 768 gibibytes, which translates to 825 gigabytes.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
yeah so its a very nice way to save money and get performance gains.
They must have also planned a specs ceiling based on allowing upgrades with non-proprietary drives.

The 5.5GB/s have custom priority queues which will need something like a 6.5GB/s consumer drive to be equivalent... and Cerny said they expect consumer pcie4 drives to reach 7GB/s after PS5 launch. It's all adding up. So they have the fastest possible that can respect all design goals.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
They must have also planned a specs ceiling based on allowing upgrades with non-proprietary drives.

The 5.5GB/s have custom priority queues which will need something like a 6.5GB/s consumer drive to be equivalent... and Cerny said they expects consumer pcie4 drives to reach 7GB/s after PS5 launch. It's all adding up. So they have the fastest possible that can respect all design goals.
Yeah, Road to PS5 they had a goal of 5GB per sec. they wanted to have .27 a sec transfer for 2 GB or data.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
So far in this thread no one has mentioned the Digital version having the same 825GB size as the physical one.

A few months back some felt it would have less space.... or maybe more space (and launch at the same price as the physical version).

So now we know it will still be cheaper, while having the same amount of storage.

Edit- NM seems it was already stated at the reveal. Spec sheet I believe.

Last edited:

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
So far in this thread no one has mentioned the Digital version having the same 825GB size as the physical one.

A few months back some felt it would have less space.... or maybe more space (and launch at the same price as the physical version).

So now we know it will still be cheaper, while having the same amount of storage.
yeah disk drive is pretty much the only difference which is great.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro

Same storage is confirmed since the reveal.

Oct 27, 2017
I actually like the look of the PS5 and I do enjoy having a standard power cable but I do wonder how much smaller it could've been with an external psu.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Probably wasn't feasible to put one in that could live up to the 3D audio fidelity they are going for. I think the previous ones were single ear buds/
Good point.
What's is game chat like on Ps4? I always felt that the lack of included headsets disrupted Xbox one in its later years- on top of party chat.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
The only Sony console which has an external psu was the ps1 slim/psone if I'm not mistaken...
Yeah, most Sony consoles have internal psu, for me it is good, because a huge brick specially with short cable means has to be hanging somewhere.
But with the heat the console will probably generate, i somehow expected to be the case with ps5, so if true I'm really happy that is internal

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

Jim Ryan even said it in an interview. I guess no one believed him.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I wonder if that's a high end HDMI 2.1 48GBPS cable

No headset is not surprising since the controller has a microphone