• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deep Friar

Mar 17, 2018
Will a modded game that has its roots in 2011 and the PS3/360 tech era be inferior to a game powered by a Zen 2/13 TF equivalent machine more than a decade later?

Yes. Yes, it will. I don't know what some people are smoking to be saying otherwise, but c'mon people. Be serious.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Will a modded game that has its roots in 2011 and the PS3/360 tech era be inferior to a game powered by a Zen 2/13 TF equivalent machine more than a decade later?

Yes. Yes, it will. I don't know what some people are smoking to be saying otherwise, but c'mon people. Be serious.
It's the Bethesda hate train obviously.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Nope probably not, because those games modded like that are basically unplayable.

Eh it's relative to what card you're using.

If you have a 1080ti, you can still hold a variable 60 outdoors. Interiors are no problem, saving for having to cap the frame rate at 90 in order to keep the physics from freaking out.

I meant combat and character actions. I'll check those out.

There's a few mods out there that make the combat work more similarly to Dark Souls. I've found it can't save melee combat entirely, but it does help.

Honestly, if you're not playing Skyrim like a shooter, you're gonna have a bad time.

Will future TES games even have mod support?

If Bethesda has a brain in their collective skulls they will. Mods are the only reason Skyrim continues to sell in the later half of this decade. Without them, it would have been left behind in 2012.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I meant combat and character actions. I'll check those out.
Yeah you can find a lot of combat stuff too. It's probably not going to change a lot of the feel (Skyrim will feel janky in combat, it's how it is). Unlike Fallout a lot of the combat is melee with no VATs crutch. The only gun is crossbows, maybe there's a gun or hand cannon mod though but no mod rework like Fallout had built around making the ranged combat feel totally different and more in line with what gamers are used to. I'm trying to think of the Fallout Rework mod (it was huge) but I can't remember it. I know it was Fallout because it redid a lot of the gun gameplay.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah you can find a lot of combat stuff too. It's probably not going to change a lot of the feel (Skyrim will feel janky in combat, it's how it is). Unlike Fallout a lot of the combat is melee with no VATs crutch. The only gun is crossbows, maybe there's a gun or hand cannon mod though but no mod rework like Fallout had. I'm trying to think of the Fallout Rework mod (it was huge) but I can't remember it. I know it was Fallout because it redid a lot of the gun gameplay.

Many of the Skyrim Magic overhauls turn the game into a similar style shooter like Fallout.

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Black Desert btw, a old MMORPG

I have never played a Bethesda game for the graphics. Let me know when BDO lets me rob literally everyone, has houses I can sneak into that can get me arrested if caught, NPCs that I can interact with beyond looking at them, etc. etc. etc.

Bethesda games are beloved for reasons far FAR beyond their visuals.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, no doubt, but how it looks is the least of my concerns about the game. It's nowhere on my list.

tuco11

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully Sony arent jerks again when it comes to mods next gen with Bethesda games. Would have no reason to get a Xbox then.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
yes
not even a question
something like death stranding while not exactly comparable looks better already

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Sony arent jerks again when it comes to mods next gen with Bethesda games. Would have no reason to get a Xbox then.
As far as I'm concerned Bethesda games are PC exclusive, even the Xbox mods are limited. No script extenders, GB limits, etc.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I have never played a Bethesda game for the graphics. Let me know when BDO lets me rob literally everyone, has houses I can sneak into that can get me arrested if caught, NPCs that I can interact with beyond looking at them, etc. etc. etc.

Bethesda games are beloved for reasons far FAR beyond their visuals.

Whoa whoa whoa, I was just comparing the visuals to modded Skyrim. In multiplayer MMORPGs the graphics are usually simplified to compensate for lot of characters, players, and open worlds yet this game still looks as good as a modded Skyrim (better to me). I don't think TES has anything to worry about when it comes to SP RPG and BDO. TES on next gen, and single player? It should be able to crush BDO in graphics (which is what this thread is about, how the next TES compare to Skyrim fully modded).

I do hope the next TES makes sneaking more like Oblivion though. I loved stealing everything, and robbing castles blind in that, then taking it all to a fence for money. Also clearing whole dungeons with stealth attacks, but in Skyrim it doesn't seem to work as good, Fallouts as well. You're so easily detected.

Last edited:

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
They can make it look as nice as they want, but I better still look like a stiff dumbass once the fighting starts like always or I'm OUT.

Jan 4, 2018
Don't we already know that TES VI is using photogrammetry and face scans to create environmental and character assets? If so it should certainly look like much bigger of a leap than Oblivion to Skyrim was, let alone vanilla Skyrim to modded Skyrim.

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Whoa whoa whoa, I was just comparing the visuals to modded Skyrim. In multiplayer MMORPGs the graphics are usually simplified to compensate for lot of characters, players, and open worlds yet this game still looks as good as a modded Skyrim (better to me). I don't think TES has anything to worry about when it comes to SP RPG and BDO. TES on next gen, and single player? It should be able to crush BDO in graphics (which is what this thread is about, how the next TES compare to Skyrim fully modded).

I do hope the next TES makes sneaking more like Oblivion though. I loved stealing everything, and robbing castles blind in that then taking it all to a fence for money, also clearing whole dungeons with stealth attacks, but in Skyrim it doesn't seem to work as good, Fallouts as well. You're so easily detected.

The problem with this conversation is that you can't separate systems and visuals. They don't exist in a vacuum for the same reason that nobody is making an open world game with visuals and animation on par with like Uncharted. The hardware needs to make a game as reactive as a Bethesda title look as good as something like BDO while still being able to run well(which is always the problem with these mods people like to showcase. Yeah you can make that shit look amazing if all you want to do is screenshots) on top of everything else (interacting with objects, theft, law enforcement, npc behavioral reaction, ALL of this kind of shit is absolutely non-negotiable for being in the game) is staggering.

But I entirely agree with you that they need to turn back the clock on their gameplay systems a bit. I liked harder lockpicking and faster running based on athleticism. I don't think someone wearing Heavy Armor should get to sprint at the same speed as a thief in a cloth jumpsuit.

Though I am also one of the people who can literally get the same game in a new setting and I'm good. Visual fidelity has never been a selling point for me, and it especially never will be with a Bethesda Game Studios RPG.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I just can't stand the art direction in those games and I doubt another generational leap will be enough to fix that.

Jun 14, 2019
my problem with most of skyrim mods was they never updated the road textures to do tesselation or parralax, so i took it upon myself to update this, because when u start adding graphic mods the road textures really stand out as horrible without it

this is with

33906820288_3ca75888fd_o.png

this is without

47704156132_bb775bd851_o.png

those two pictures are literally exactly the same mods apart from the first one is using the new roads tweak i made (obvs different time of day hence color differences )

i havent got another comparison but heres another really nice skyrim modded screen i took

46994563344_15d13c315c_o.png

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Don't we already know that TES VI is using photogrammetry and face scans to create environmental and character assets? If so it should certainly look like much bigger of a leap than Oblivion to Skyrim was, let alone vanilla Skyrim to modded Skyrim.
Yeah the Granny Skyrim video where they scanned her face, showed it, and showed off the rocks and such for a desert looking environment.

At the least I'll be glad to see Granny Skyrim (Shirley Curry) in game even if it turns out looking (but running better) than a fully modded out Skyrim.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In some ways yes, in other ways no.

I always think reflections, lightning, and shadows are always the first things to be cut or reduced in any game.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
I guess it will.

They did mention that they were waiting for the technology to advance enough for their vision which I hope to god is a new engine.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Will Vanilla ES6 look better than modded Skyrim? Maybe. Modded Skyrim can look really fantastic with enough mods and BGS isn't really known for making particularly pretty games.

Will modded ES6 look better than modded Skyrim. Without a doubt.

Honestly, when it comes to visuals I'm more worried that they'll stick with vanilla Skyrim's boring gray artstyle instead of going for something more colourful and interesting. That being said, visuals are the least of my concerns with ES6.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
A few months ago they had a video about the Skyrim "grandma" and they showed something with photogeometrey or something. The same thing has been used for Battlefront and Forza. So at least they'll have that hopefully and that should make a big improvement.

Mr.Black

Apr 28, 2018
Finland
Don't really know but I do hope they greatly improve animations and ai. Bethesda GS is so far behind every other developer when it comes to those, modders can fix the rest of the problems like they've done before :)

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Yes.
How does modded oblivion compare to vanilla skyrim?

Fairly well not quite as nice looking. There has been no case for a previous Elderscrolls title maxed out with full graphical overhaul mods looking better than the next one. Such was the case from Morrowind to Oblivion, and Oblivion to Skyrim.

This is coming from someone who has well over 1000 hours for all three Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim. for a combined 3000+ hours across the three.

I mean sure there are some caveats here and there, but the biggest thing are lighting technologies. Skyrim has much more natural lighting compared to the Bloom heavy Oblivion, and even Skyrim SE is a bit better than regular Skyrim when you factor the new Godrays and fog effects.

Feb 10, 2018
Fairly well not quite as nice looking. There has been no case for a previous Elderscrolls title maxed out with full graphical overhaul mods looking better than the next one. Such was the case from Morrowind to Oblivion, and Oblivion to Skyrim.

This is coming from someone who has well over 1000 hours for all three Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim. for a combined 3000+ hours across the three.

I mean sure there are some caveats here and there, but the biggest thing are lighting technologies. Skyrim has much more natural lighting compared to the Bloom heavy Oblivion, and even Skyrim SE is a bit better than regular Skyrim when you factor the new Godrays and fog effects.

I think the next elder Scrolls will look quite a bit better then skyrim with mods, the only thing impressive in those videos is the amount of vegetation, the lighting, polycount and character models are still contrained by 512mb ram + 240gflop gpu.
Even fallout 4 looks better and that's current gen.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Yes.
How does modded oblivion compare to vanilla skyrim?

It has one ace over Skyrim which is native pom/parallax support. For some reason they removed it from Skyrim, and the only way to get it is hacking it in via ENB. Unfortunately not even Skyrim SE ENB supports parallax hacking.

In Oblivion it's as simple as enabling a flag in the mesh files and then texture mods can take full advantage of it to add a lot more depth to the environments.

Here's a texture overhaul I made for the prison tileset which adds parallax to a lot of the surfaces

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I think the next elder Scrolls will look quite a bit better then skyrim with mods, the only thing impressive in those videos is the amount of vegetation, the lighting, polycount and character models are still contrained by 512mb ram + 240gflop gpu.
Even fallout 4 looks better and that's current gen.

Keep in mind the fully modded Skyrim has no limitation on character models per console spec. Model replacements exist. And typically higher polycounts are notwithstanding considering mesh and texture replacements part of a replaced model.

Even with a new skeleton animation mods, like XP32 for example, there isn't much of a limit the biggest thing is character animations and hardcoded lighting effects.

A newer Elder Scrolls game should focus on better quality animations and lighting. As in the case modders can handle the rest, but for the sake of a straight graphics comparison. Vanilla ES6 should look better by some degree of margin than modded graphics Skyrim.

I mean if they can include things like global illumination and photogrammary for character models and static objects like landscape and building textures, then at that point they would be at a far better starting point.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
No doubt about it.
7d202635-cb02-4306-ag0jbd.jpeg

f601e86a-dc3d-4369-a9hjog.jpeg

Bethesda managed to create some of the best looking open world games with Oblivion and Skyrim on last gen consoles. Not so much on PC but they shifted their focus away from PC after Morrowind anyway.

Feb 10, 2018
Keep in mind the fully modded Skyrim has no limitation on character models per console spec. Model replacements exist. And typically higher polycounts are notwithstanding considering mesh and texture replacements part of a replaced model.

Even with a new skeleton animation mods, like XP32 for example, there isn't much of a limit the biggest thing is character animations and hardcoded lighting effects.

A newer Elder Scrolls game should focus on better quality animations and lighting. As in the case modders can handle the rest, but for the sake of a straight graphics comparison. Vanilla ES6 should look better by some degree of margin than modded graphics Skyrim.

I mean if they can include things like global illumination and photogrammary for character models and static objects like landscape and building textures, then at that point they would be at a far better starting point.

Yeah I've seen some replacement characters and they look on par with current gen ones, but I doubt they will be as good as next gen ones, next gen models will look better then current gen ones.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe not, Bethesda seems incredibly averse to taking the time and money to build something new that would support such a bump. Sure FO76 looks better than FO4 but it bloody well should considering the time between releases. I'm still bitter FO4 looked like such a lemon at launch, interiors with the lack of overworld quality lighting made it look like the last gen entries. Truly a wtf moment if there ever was one in gaming, almost all Bethesda releases looked nice at release, maybe not cutting edge but certainly a noticeable improvement over what came before. I remember friends used to update their gpus for things like Morrowind and Oblivion releases. FO4 felt like the start of "we don't wanna spend the money" and I see it hasn't improved much since.

As an aside anytime I see these mega mod list videos from Skyrim I can't help but wonder why there isn't a more streamlined process for creating some system through one of the mod managers where you can feed it a file that includes download info for each of the mods a certain person uses so you can just download and apply it all in the requisite load order. I've never had the patience to download these laundry lists of mods people use. If there IS something like what I'm looking for please tell me, it'd be nice to experience some of these myself without having to spend an hour plus downloading dozens of mods and applying them all manually in a mod manager /rant

Deep Friar

Mar 17, 2018
It's the Bethesda hate train obviously.

Unfortunately. There's a difference between not liking them, and deliberately being obtuse. I myself am soured after 4/76 and Starfield will be the make or break moment for me, but it should be obvious to everyone, hater or no. People should be able to not like something and yet still be able to reach some conclusions objectively. Sad that they can't.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I modded the hell out of it one time, as much as possible and it looked amazing but when I walked around I realized it was still Skyrim and I didn't want to play it anymore.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
The animation system is being replaced, as well as the physics system, Todd said so in an interview like 2 years ago.

Given what he said about Fallout 76, I am surprised that anyone would simply take him at his word. IIRC he also said that Fallout 4 was being developed on a brand new engine.

There is a good reason why "Sweet little lies" featuring Todd Howard exists.

Bethesda has great artists and that's their only saving grace on the visual front. As for the rest I will believe it when it I see proper preview vids circa after 2020.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
That's not much of an improvement over the original, so yes, Bethesda can do much better than what's in those videos.