• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Inside

Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
I know this is not even modded, but the Game Boy Light Famitsu edition is one of the most gorgeous gameboys if you ask me.

RPXIVP9.jpg

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
This thread has me seriously considering dropping hundreds of dollars on a tricked out handheld from nearly 20 years ago. Thanks you guys.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
What are people's experience using Retro Modding's build-to-order service? I'm seriously considering getting one made but I wanted to know what people think of the service first.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
One day I'm gonna bust out all of my Game Boys and take a picture. I feel like sending off my GBC (frontlit) to get fitted with a backlight. I think someone in GAF once mentioned that it's possible to get a backlight in there now.

shnitzel

Dec 3, 2017
Oh boi i did it, was pretty easy.
So maybe i will try a new screen with backlight some time.
11lwsk9.jpg

The motherboard and other stuff was surprisingly clean, so even less work.
2bgsnu.jpg

3trsua.jpg

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
So beautiful! Damn.

I would love to start this as well. Might do the same and do a new case/buttons first then jump into the whole backlight.

Great pics!

Noriea

Nov 8, 2017
I want a backlit modded GBAbut my god, that retromodding site wants $300, 8 week wait AND he's in Canada so you have to pay import fees.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Free advice for anyone:
1. Order 20kg of trashed GBs from Japanese Yahoo Auctions
2. Mod them with good screens and rechargeable battery with Micro-USB port
3. Earn that moneyz

milkham

Oct 25, 2017
we posting our gameboys?
9kkd7Q3.jpg

modded myself, cutting the plastic was the worst part, when I did it again for a friend I was much faster at it. I'm glad I kept the original shell but some of the ones made with aftermarket shells make me drool a bit.
Just a note for guy earlier in the thread, soldering is not welding.

I want a backlit modded GBAbut my god, that retromodding site wants $300, 8 week wait AND he's in Canada so you have to pay import fees.

I've done it twice now myself, you could probably get it done for like 70 or 80 (including gba) if you get the parts off aliexpress instead of ebay and stick with the original shell. I did a 40 pin one around christmas and trying it without the wire soldered I couldn't tell a difference in brightness vs with the wire soldered, so you could probably get by without it. Retromodding offers other mods like MAXIMUM brightness and some sound enhancements but I've never felt the screen on the basic mod wasn't bright enough.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yoooooo this dude rules, i have been following him on insta for a while now and some of his really cool mods on r/gameboymarketplace are what really got me into this. His mods are seriously art to me.
Same, found him on Instagram as well. Gonna order one soon to keep at work as a desk prop and play occasionally when im bored.

Noriea

Nov 8, 2017
we posting our gameboys?

I've done it twice now myself, you could probably get it done for like 70 or 80 (including gba) if you get the parts off aliexpress instead of ebay and stick with the original shell. I did a 40 pin one around christmas and trying it without the wire soldered I couldn't tell a difference in brightness vs with the wire soldered, so you could probably get by without it. Retromodding offers other mods like MAXIMUM brightness and some sound enhancements but I've never felt the screen on the basic mod wasn't bright enough.

Ordered the voltage regulator from retromodding, bandit shell from rosecoloredgaming and screen/ribbon from ebay. Had to do a few hours research to learn I had a 0 type motherboard with a brown cable so I needed a type-b ribbon to not get a washed out screen or ghosting. Should be fun modding my own in a few weeks once everything arrives.

Weston

Oct 29, 2017
I'm in deep now boys. Last night I bought a lot in a Goodwill auction. 2 DSIs, a GBA, and a Pocket. All untested, so fingers crossed that the GBA and Pocket at least work.

57482548135342la.JPG

Game plan:

Pocket
Orange Backlight
Bivert
Glass Screen Cover
Battery Mod

GBA
AGS 101 Screen Swap (already have a donor SP)
New Shell
Glass Screen Cover
Battery Mod

Anybody here installed a bivert chip? It doesn't look to complicated, but I haven't done a lot of soldering.

As for battery mods I don't know which direction I'm going to go. Can anybody able to point me to a good guide? I think I'd like to use a couple rechargeable li-ion batteries and hooked up to a micro usb.

Eventually I might make a "Game Boy Macro" out of a DSI just for the hell of it. I wonder what would work best to fill in the holes in the shell.
IMG_20150508_153733.jpg

shawndumas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in deep now boys. Last night I bought a lot in a Goodwill auction. 2 DSIs, a GBA, and a Pocket. All untested, so fingers crossed that the GBA and Pocket at least work.

57482548135342la.JPG

Game plan:

Pocket
Orange Backlight
Bivert
Glass Screen Cover
Battery Mod

GBA
AGS 101 Screen Swap (already have a donor SP)
New Shell
Glass Screen Cover
Battery Mod

Anybody here installed a bivert chip? It doesn't look to complicated, but I haven't done a lot of soldering.

As for battery mods I don't know which direction I'm going to go. Can anybody able to point me to a good guide? I think I'd like to use a couple rechargeable li-ion batteries and hooked up to a micro usb.

Eventually I might make a "Game Boy Macro" out of a DSI just for the hell of it. I wonder what would work best to fill in the holes in the shell.
IMG_20150508_153733.jpg

bondo

OP
OP

Deleted member 1378

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I buckled. I just dropped a bunch of money on a replacement shell for my classic GB, a proper backlight (I'm not destroying an AGS-101 for my GBC), etc. Along with an Everdrive.

This is gonna be so cool. I haven't used my Game Boy in years - glad repro parts are still available for the Special Pikachu Edition :)

meadowdrone

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Oh hey! Found this thread as I was about to dive back into modding and was eyeing up doing a Color and a vanilla GBA with AGS-101 for my partner in her favourite colours. Have ordered the parts, now gonna head into town to pick up the actual machines.

Here are the results of my first (and only) DMG project:

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey! Found this thread as I was about to dive back into modding and was eyeing up doing a Color and a vanilla GBA with AGS-101 for my partner in her favourite colours. Have ordered the parts, now gonna head into town to pick up the actual machines.

Here are the results of my first (and only) DMG project:

These look absolutely amazing, great job, better than any special edition Nintendo ever did for these! :D

Dobbie078

Oct 28, 2017
Already posted in the other topic but I guess I'll post it here too, my modded GBA arrived yesterday:

teTEBsX.jpg

ADg2D2d.jpg

Bonus picture:
GODyygH.jpg

zoukka

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Dunno if this is the right thread, but what are some simple tips for someone who wants to buy a Game Boy Micro? Not into modding (yet), I just want to get the hardware first and see if I get the modding fever.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Oh damn... I hate you all! Now I really want one of those modded GBAs.
Or maybe I'll mod one myself.

There are so many cool pictures in this thread *heavy breathing*

Shiftymorgan

Nov 2, 2017
Every time I wander into a modding thread and or retro thread about Gameboys I die a little since they all look amazing.

Rhiwion

Oct 28, 2017
Germany

Cloggerdude

Just tell me what you need.
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno if this is the right thread, but what are some simple tips for someone who wants to buy a Game Boy Micro? Not into modding (yet), I just want to get the hardware first and see if I get the modding fever.

What kind of tips are you looking for? The only thing you really have to worry about are the faceplate being scratched and the battery being dead. Both of those, especially the faceplate, can be replaced fairly easily.

The only other problem I'm aware of is that the shoulder buttons can sometimes stop working. One of my Micros has the problem, and I remember looking into getting it fixed, but I never actually attempted it.

Also, definitely come check out our Community thread.

zoukka

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
What kind of tips are you looking for? The only thing you really have to worry about are the faceplate being scratched and the battery being dead. Both of those, especially the faceplate, can be replaced fairly easily.

The only other problem I'm aware of is that the shoulder buttons can sometimes stop working. One of my Micros has the problem, and I remember looking into getting it fixed, but I never actually attempted it.

Also, definitely come check out our Community thread.

This was helpful already thanks!

Shuri

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got a modded GBC from him, and it's stunning as all hell. It's worth the money. I went all in and it looks incredible. The new screen makes gbc game looks amazing.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Fuck.
Not gonna lie, the custom border for GBC games makes me want an Everdrive so bad now. Wish the cart wouldn't protrude so much out of the system, but I'll live?
It'll definitely be less annoying on an original GBA than on a SP.
Keep an eye out for reviews of the new EZ Flash Omega coming out next month.

Noriea

Nov 8, 2017
Final results of mine (this thread is to blame). Bought a donor gba from a local game shop, swapped the shell out and installed a backlit LCD with the correct lcd ribbon and a voltage regulator for proper voltage and maximum brightness. Bonus, swapped my joycon shells for the d-pad version.

YFLVy6B.jpg

Sniffynose

Oct 30, 2017
The backlit GBAs my god.... the advance had so many good games but the screen was so temperamental. Those backlit mods are gorgeous. I regret unloading all my old systems and games =(

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Is there a general consensus on the best route to go when ordering a custom Gameboy, specifically a GBA. Is it better to use a service like RetroModding or am I better off contacting a specific user from Etsy or Reddit? RetroModding seems pricier, but the options available to you seem pretty significant compared to just contacting a random user in the community.