• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Where can I get a gameboy pocket like that with a good screen and shit?

Some of those gameboys look damn amazing.

That one Enter The Dragon one is sweet. I want that.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I want everything. Game Boy Pocket remains so stylish! It was quite a huge upgrade from the brick.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I think the Japanese Game Boy Light is still the nicest looking handheld Nintendo has made— outside of the switch if that counts.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
I stumbled upon the Game Boy Marketplace reddit a couple months ago and became enthralled with these, so many dope mods. I was inspired to reshell my pocket and love the way it turned out. If I were more electronically inclined I would do some of the more heavy mods like backlighting and biverting the screen but I'm happy enough as it is.

mxYXfs2.jpg

Oh, and the screen lens is glass instead of the stock plastic. Surprisingly noticeable difference.

Last edited:

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I got my GBA Afterburner'd, which was a radical improvement, and I gather more modern lighting mods are even better?

trevofour

Oct 26, 2017
joisey
I have a few modded gameboys -
25012076_828995590614254_8470558991074721792_n.jpg

Gameboy Color w/ a backlit screen - forgot which model the screen was taken from but the quality is kinda bleh. Think it was an SP?
Gameboy Advance - custom Metroid Fusion colorway with AGS101 screen mod - the screen is gorgeous
Gameboy Micro - Famicom Edition...this one isn't modded
Game Boy - this is actually the original Game Boy I got back in 1989, backlit and sound modded with a new screen cover

Oct 28, 2017
Just looking at the old format Gameboy Advance makes me ragey. Easily my least favorite console hardware of all time.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
That cream and blue color modes GBA....

If they did something like that for switch, id get another

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh that blue one, I just want to snuggle up in bed as a 10 year old with the lights off and a bag of chips to my side as I play it.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Translucent hardware is the shit. I had a translucent purple Game Boy Color and it was the single coolest thing I had as a kid.

Atomic Purple was so sexy. I had one when I was kid, but I lost it, or someone robbed it. Maybe it was karma because my uncle give it to me as a gift... after he found it at his work xD

Damn I will try to track down one when I resolve my financial situation.

8FqNWV4.jpg

(Pic from a random page)

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
I want a backlit OG one how do I go about buying one?
r/gameboymarketplace is a good place to look, people are posting their work with some regularity. eBay can work too but I find the reddit marketplace to be a little less sketchy, the people there are all super nice, too. They have a request thread, as well, and some of the regular users might take direct inbox requests.

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, Arizona
Atomic Purple was so sexy. I had one when I was kid, but I lost it, or someone robbed it. Maybe it was karma because my uncle give it to me as a gift... after he found it at his work xD

Damn I will try to track down one when I resolve my financial situation.

8FqNWV4.jpg

(Pic from a random page)

Atomic Purple was the shit
I miss mine terribly so..

A piece of my childhood I need back.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Damn this thread is tempting me to get a GBC, but

1) Don't know where to mod the screen (in south america)
2) For my life I can't think any GBC game that I want to play now

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
r/gameboymarketplace is a good place to look, people are posting their work with some regularity. eBay can work too but I find the reddit marketplace to be a little less sketchy, the people there are all super nice, too. They have a request thread, as well, and some of the regular users might take direct inbox requests.

Thank you might have to go the request route, all the good ones look sold.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I had a few systems modded with colored biverted screens via Stang Boy Customs, and now I'm filling my Game Boy Works chronology books with macro photography of games running on the screens as a background element. It looks *fingerkiss*

They're pretty awesome to play on, too.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Chipping in with my own AGS-101:

IMG9230crop.jpg

I love it. The only issue is that aftermarket shells and buttons aren't quite perfect, so the bumpers on the side shift around a bit while playing.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I always wanted to get a modded OG GBA. I think it feels so much nicer to hold than the SP.

Also there is something very timeless about the design of the GB (and the Pocket, too, for that matter).

Jan 29, 2018
I've been flirting with the idea of buying an original GBA modded with a 101 screen for years but never pulled the trigger. I really should someday...

Weston

Oct 29, 2017
Damn, those are dope. I've got a AGS 101 I never use, because I the SP is to small to be comfortable for me. Maybe I'll mod it into a backlit original Advance.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yay! I get to post my GBA again!

It's a new "launch" indigo with a backlit glass screen, but it's my baby.
XtX2cvu.jpg

Part of the appeal of the GB/GBC/GBA library is the relative inexpensiveness of the libraries and hardware. With modding, a "perfect" Gameboy runs you $100.

Last edited:

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
I've legit always wanted to stick a GBA SP in the original Gameboy Pocket Form factor (though with the shoulders in tact at the back, not a dodgy button solution)

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
You have no idea how much I love this thread. Colorful translucent gaming hardware is my fucking thing, dude. I love it so much.

Deleted member 2102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
goddamn, might have to hit up some stores to find an original GBA to mess around with. Looking at Retromodding, I can get the parts to do this pretty cheap.

Any other decent sites to source the components from? Mostly with respects to an aftermarket shell.