• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
The IPS display looks gorgeous in pictures, but I'm not sure if I'd bite. I really miss the grid lol

Even in Retroarch I use a grid + color correction filter. To me the difference is night and day in some cases. Playing Aria of Sorrow in an emulator makes everything so drab without the 101 screen particularities. But I think the grid is even more defining for original GB games.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
My IPS V2 finally came in and I installed it, it's not quite centered even with the bracket in place :/ The adhesive is a little too sticky for me to feel comfortable trying to move it so it is what it is. Will post a pic when I get a chance. Screen is bright ant clear!

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
My IPS V2 finally came in and I installed it, it's not quite centered even with the bracket in place :/ The adhesive is a little too sticky for me to feel comfortable trying to move it so it is what it is. Will post a pic when I get a chance. Screen is bright ant clear!
Would you be able to soften the adhesive with some heat and then at least push and shim it around until it's centered?

Oct 30, 2017
I put my original GBA SP buttons back on, just for dpad and A + B. The new ones that came with my replacement shell were too hard to press, I hated it. looks better than I expected with some gray and some black buttons but plays a ton better now

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017

I just finished my second mod.
Retrosix Shell
Funnyplaying IPS V2
CleanAmp
Pure Silence
USB-C battery pack with cut cover

Thank looks stunning. Is the Funnyplaying IPS V2 the best there is at the moment? Also what's CleanAmp and Pure Silence? Can you please share pictures of the back / and especially the battery pack with the cut cover?

Tango-Pirate

Oct 29, 2017
UK
A friend of mine runs The Gameboy Shack here in the UK and made this for me...

IPS V2 screen (Adjustable backlight by touching the comm port)
Glass screen
New shell and buttons

The picture makes the screen looked a bit washed out but it look great in person.

PHFzond.jpg

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California

Retrosix Shell
Funnyplaying IPS V2
CleanAmp
Pure Silence

Really cool looking! Any idea how long the battery lasts?

Glass screen
New shell and buttons

The picture makes the screen looked a bit washed out but it look great in person.

PHFzond.jpg
Looking great. Using the comm port is a cool way to adjust the brightness. My GBA requires holding down the select button, which usually actually does something in the game.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017

Glass screen
New shell and buttons

PHFzond.jpg
This looks stunning. And wow, touching the comm port? Damn. It's touch sensitive somehow?

I have a backlit GBC but I feel like I need to get it modded again with this IPS V2 screen.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That's a neat way around what I assume are legal hurdles. Say it's for Nintendo, not actually a Nintendo product.

I'm loving my case except for that logo. I may get a second color once this update is done.
Id much rather they just ditched the logo altogether, would look much cleaner and unless its the exact same Nintendo logo people are going to complain regardless

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Thank looks stunning. Is the Funnyplaying IPS V2 the best there is at the moment? Also what's CleanAmp and Pure Silence? Can you please share pictures of the back / and especially the battery pack with the cut cover?

Here's the back and the battery

Funnyplaying is the best from what I have seen online
The battery cover is cut perfectly for the charge port.
CleanAmp is Retrosix's sound amplifier and Pure Silence is a tiny board that solders to the amp to reduce the crackling and hum sound from the speaker.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017

Here's the back and the battery

Funnyplaying is the best from what I have seen online
The battery cover is cut perfectly for the charge port.
CleanAmp is Retrosix's sound amplifier and Pure Silence is a tiny board that solders to the amp to reduce the crackling and hum sound from the speaker.
Thanks. Is that back cover bought or did you do it yourself? It'd be great to have the back cover with a GB logo on it.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017

Retrosix Shell
Funnyplaying IPS V2
CleanAmp
Pure Silence

Looking good. I would really like the sound fixes and battery pack but it's outside my ability to do myself. Was able to throw together the IPS V2 and not agonize over the shell/button/bumper colors so much because of how easy and relatively cheap it was but if I was getting someone to do the actual modwork of the extra stuff I would have to put a lot more thought into it first. :c

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Looking good. I would really like the sound fixes and battery pack but it's outside my ability to do myself. Was able to throw together the IPS V2 and not agonize over the shell/button/bumper colors so much because of how easy and relatively cheap it was but if I was getting someone to do the actual modwork of the extra stuff I would have to put a lot more thought into it first. :c
The sound mod was a pain because of how small the points are. But don't be afraid to learn how to solder. I had no experience but just went for it and I'd like to think I am ok at and I know I'm improving every time. Just watch YouTube tutorials and read tips.

The battery pack comes presoldered so there's no work to be done aside from some trimming in the battery compartment

Fab

Oct 28, 2017
IssQhnvl.jpg

Had a DMG fitted with an IPS panel, I'm so happy with the results.

Last edited:

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
I just found my teal game boy color. Is there a semi-cheap and easy way to swap the screen out to at least be backlit?

Deleted member 20429

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is there a good "one-stop" place to get all of the parts to do these mods in the UK. I found out a few GBCs, GBAs and SPs over the weekend I've apparently been hoarding and would love to do some shell swaps and put better screens on them.

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a good "one-stop" place to get all of the parts to do these mods in the UK. I found out a few GBCs, GBAs and SPs over the weekend I've apparently been hoarding and would love to do some shell swaps and put better screens on them.

I used https://www.deadpanrobot.co.uk/ for the screen, but they also do other parts.
https://retrosix.co.uk/ is the UK based site for the high quality ABS shells.
Otherwise you can use ebay for regular shells.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
I can also endorse BennVenn's screens. I have an older version that still requires a teensy bit of shell trimming and it was still the easiest mod I had ever done, and then got the updated one for my wife's GBC and it's incredible how much easier he was able to make it. All you need is the two screwdrivers needed to open the gbc and you are all set.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
IssQhnvl.jpg

Had a DMG fitted with an IPS panel, I'm so happy with the results.
Been taking one of my older modded GBs to work, and been thinking of upgrading to IPS since vertical lines are returning for the 10th time and I'm getting tired of soldering the ribbon. Just need to wait for a bit more money to come in.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I was a bit iffy on the size at first, but the extra clarity of the screen completely offsets it, it's a joy to play on.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's like .5 mm or some tiny amount. Unless you stick them side by side (or don't use a specific lens) you can't even tell.

Fab

Oct 28, 2017
Been taking one of my older modded GBs to work, and been thinking of upgrading to IPS since vertical lines are returning for the 10th time and I'm getting tired of soldering the ribbon. Just need to wait for a bit more money to come in.
Can't recommend it enough, I was having similar issues, and while I'll miss the old screen just a little (warts and all), this IPS screen has gave the console a second life.

I finally got around to finishing the mario games for the first time!

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Can't recommend it enough, I was having similar issues, and while I'll miss the old screen just a little (warts and all), this IPS screen has gave the console a second life.

I finally got around to finishing the mario games for the first time!
Might wait to see if the second stimulus comes through and beg my wife for a couple hundred to do full rebuild. Case, display, rechargable, etc.

As much as there are a couple GBC games I'd love to still be able to play, the form factor is just too small for adult me's paws. GBA isn't much better even though it's wider.

Weston

Oct 29, 2017
I just found my teal game boy color. Is there a semi-cheap and easy way to swap the screen out to at least be backlit?

You can find TFT kits on ebay/aliexpress that are drop in and don't require any trimming or soldering. Like this one
www.ebay.com

Game Boy Color TFT LCD Kit - HISPEEDIDO | eBay

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Game Boy Color TFT LCD Kit - HISPEEDIDO at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Might be able to find them cheaper. I paid $80 for a pair of them shipped. They aren't full size but they come with a proper sized screen cover.

TFT definitely dont look as nice as IPS screen, but they use less battery and you can turn the backlight all the way down it just looks like an original screen.

I can post a picture of one beside a Funnyplaying full size IPS if anyone is interested.

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
You can find TFT kits on ebay/aliexpress that are drop in and don't require any trimming or soldering. Like this one
www.ebay.com

Game Boy Color TFT LCD Kit - HISPEEDIDO | eBay

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Game Boy Color TFT LCD Kit - HISPEEDIDO at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Might be able to find them cheaper. I paid $80 for a pair of them shipped. They aren't full size but they come with a proper sized screen cover.

TFT definitely dont look as nice as IPS screen, but they use less battery and you can turn the backlight all the way down it just looks like an original screen.

I can post a picture of one beside a Funnyplaying full size IPS if anyone is interested.
Always interested!

Weston

Oct 29, 2017
Red is Funnyplaying IPS and Purple is unbranded TFT
IPS looks better but is a lot more trouble to install. Also I think IPS looks wierd on clear shells cause the panel goes all the way down to the dpad.

Here's another comparison while I'm at it. Funnyplaying Retropixel IPS vs RIPS V3 IPS.
Both great kits. Retropixel is I little larger than original so you have to cut the window out a little bit. Screen cover goes overtop though so it does have to be pretty.

Last edited:

Ninge

ID@Xbox Developer Partner Manager
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This thread caused me great expense! :D

Just received some packages from Handheld Legend and Retro Six:

- New light grey shell and some SNES coloured buttons
- Funny playing IPSv2 Screen kit and 3D printed mounting bracket
- Rechargeable battery and board
- New speaker and amp plus pure silence mod
- nice soft case to keep it in when done :)

And I also had to buy a GBA from eBay to be the donor unit, plus some wire, side cutters, flux resin etc etc..

hV0ENHO.jpeg

Will post some updates as I work on it :)

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This thread caused me great expense! :D

Just received some packages from Handheld Legend and Retro Six:

- New light grey shell and some SNES coloured buttons
- Funny playing IPSv2 Screen kit and 3D printed mounting bracket
- Rechargeable battery and board
- New speaker and amp plus pure silence mod
- nice soft case to keep it in when done :)

And I also had to buy a GBA from eBay to be the donor unit, plus some wire, side cutters, flux resin etc etc..

hV0ENHO.jpeg

Will post some updates as I work on it :)
welcome!! this proably won't be your last
just a quick tip, if you're gonna solder for brightness, i recommend not using the arm on the screen bracket as it will sit right on top of the 3 solder points on the ribbon.

Ninge

ID@Xbox Developer Partner Manager
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
welcome!! this proably won't be your last
just a quick tip, if you're gonna solder for brightness, i recommend not using the arm on the screen bracket as it will sit right on top of the 3 solder points on the ribbon.

oooh - Nice tip! thanks for that :) I wasn't sure whether to stick the screen in place or use the bracket TBH - but for $5 I figured I'd order it and see how I got on. I like the idea of being able to easily remove it if I need to (dust on the display or something) but I don't want it to rattle around...

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Before:
Free DMG from in-laws. Powered on, screen was shot. He...had a hard life.
50216798847_dd4562b50a_b.jpg

After:
50216570831_625850dc7d_b.jpg

IPS V3 from handheldlegend, also the case and buttons from there. I somehow got the impression that since the case was described as ready for the IPS screen, I would not need to get the bracket to align and fit the screen, so I didn't. Sadly then, I ended up taping and gluing the screen in place, as people without the bracket apparently do. So this guy is delicate. Until I order a bracket and better secure the screen. Maybe. Probably.

Anyway...

Thanks for the free Game Boy PCB, in-laws!

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I somehow got the impression that since the case was described as ready for the IPS screen, I would not need to get the bracket to align and fit the screen, so I didn't.
Actually very good to know, I thought the cases were all pre-modded and ready to go. The final product looks gorgeous BTW, plan on doing mine sooner versus later.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Reversing a backlit gb is doable right? Removing the bivert and putting the pins back down should be possible, but it's probably not fun

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Reversing a backlit gb is doable right? Removing the bivert and putting the pins back down should be possible, but it's probably not fun
If you put the bivert in, it's probably easier to take it back out. Just need to suck out the solder and bend the pins back down to resolder then into place. Imagine it's a 5 minute job to do that part, assuming it was installed fairly cleanly to begin with.