• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I've got the Freckleshack preordered, apparently ordered for Batch 5, not 4. &_&
Once Benn gets his hands through the GBA IPS and gets the screen tearing taken care of, that'll be next. Mwuhahaha.

I'm considering a coral pink GBC shell for mine, but not 100% sure.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
teTEBsX.jpg
Yeah, I think I've settled on this look for my GBA.

You want to know what this thread has done to me? Not only have I ordered a BennVenn kit and new screen for my GBC, I've started buying up old GB and GBA games, and I even bought a dead GBA off Ebay just so I can fix it up and mod it.

Deleted member 48201

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2018
This week the purple shell and the green buttons that I'm going use to mod one of my GBA's came in.

Today I bought a silver MGB and a pink GBA that I plan to mod with the IPS screen if Benn can fix it.

I really want a Gameboy light and a Micro but the prices on eBay are ridiculous. Maybe that's for the better though cause I already own 8 Gameboys and I need to stop buying more.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Has anyone installed the bennvenn DMG 3"?
They don't make it anymore. From what I understand, is the screen has worse blurrying than the original screen but better contrast.

***i guess they still do make them. I guess I'd only use one if I messed up the bivert mod, which is easy to do.

I nodded an OG gameboy with the bivert and greenback light. Turned out pretty good, but my screen started to get vertical lines pretty quickly after the mod. The typical fix for that problem did not fix it. I ended up selling it for cheap on eBay. I bought a inverted system then on eBay because I didn't feel like buying another gameboy and modding it myself. Gameboy was great when I got it, but about a week later I saw a vertical line show up. I think it may be me storing my stuff in a cold area and it's affecting the joints of the ribbon cable.

DMG screens are absolutely trash with reliability and are super fragile.

Last edited:

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
Yeah, I think I've settled on this look for my GBA.

You want to know what this thread has done to me? Not only have I ordered a BennVenn kit and new screen for my GBC, I've started buying up old GB and GBA games, and I even bought a dead GBA off Ebay just so I can fix it up and mod it.
Me when I found the game boy subreddit lol.

Had to buy GB and GBA everdrive to stop myself from buying more carts and even then a few slipped through anyway...

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
Is there a market for replacement Game Boy Light cases? I bought a silver one second-hand many years ago, but the paint has rubbed off in certain areas and thus looks pretty ugly. If I could get a replacement whose color is molded into the plastic instead of painted on, that would be wonderful.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
Is there a market for replacement Game Boy Light cases? I bought a silver one second-hand many years ago, but the paint has rubbed off in certain areas and thus looks pretty ugly. If I could get a replacement whose color is molded into the plastic instead of painted on, that would be wonderful.
I've never seen one, probably far too niche to be mass produced.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
So I got that busted up GBA from Ebay and fixed it up easily enough (the power switch needed some cleaning and a little bit of corrosion around the battery leads). I had forgotten just how awful the screen is in the original GBA. I put it up next to the GBC just now and it's so much worse and harder to see. No wonder they went with an illuminated screen as soon as they could. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for a good screen replacement for this thing.

Oct 25, 2017
So I got that busted up GBA from Ebay and fixed it up easily enough (the power switch needed some cleaning and a little bit of corrosion around the battery leads). I had forgotten just how awful the screen is in the original GBA. I put it up next to the GBC just now and it's so much worse and harder to see. No wonder they went with an illuminated screen as soon as they could. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for a good screen replacement for this thing.
You're in luck, BennVenn seems to have indicated that he's moved onto the testing phase for his GBA IPS fix, over on the Facebook.

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
Wanted to ask for some tips for which sellers or screens to look for. I am planning to order (finally!) screens for two backlit mods for the original gba and SP (the AGS001 model)

What kind of tools is useful? I already have the trident screwdriver. I can borrow a soldering unit. However, I know I need to scrape of plastic on the wide gba units to fit in the bright screens. I know I need to adjust/calibrating the screen so it looks properly. Should I get my own ribbon cable or buy a soldered one?

Last edited:

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Oh hey, I've got an old GBA lying around. Adding a backlit screen and a new case could be a fun project.

Last edited:

InfiniteCats

Oct 25, 2017
What kind of tools is useful? I already have the trident screwdriver. I can borrow a soldering unit. However, I know I need to scrape of plastic on the wide gba units to fit in the bright screens. I know I need to adjust/calibrating the screen so it looks properly.
You want something like a carpet knife or similar to cut off the excess plastic. Note that scraping or shaving doesn't work. You want to cut a groove into one side of the edges that stick out, and then just snap them off. Follow the youtube guides essentially. I tried shaving it off with a knife at first, and it was a complete bust.

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
You want something like a carpet knife or similar to cut off the excess plastic. Note that scraping or shaving doesn't work. You want to cut a groove into one side of the edges that stick out, and then just snap them off. Follow the youtube guides essentially. I tried shaving it off with a knife at first, and it was a complete bust.

Thanks. Yeah was thinking of what type of knife. Thanks for the reminder that snapping off is better. Yeah I will make sure to follow a good guideline. I have anxiety about ruining things which is why I have waited years to do this.

Oct 27, 2017
So what screen is recommended these days?
I just got a GBA that I want to play around with modding, and I'm torn between going with the GBA consolizer, or putting in a better screen and swapping the case.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
So what screen is recommended these days?
I just got a GBA that I want to play around with modding, and I'm torn between going with the GBA consolizer, or putting in a better screen and swapping the case.

Hard to say, lots of pros and cons with all the options out now

Third-Party AGS 101 screen
+No tearing
+Best battery life compared to others
-The screen has the most ghosting compared to the Funny and TaoBao IPS screens
-Not as bright as the other screens?
-Price is not as cheap as it used to be/Low stock

TaoBao screen
+No screen tearing (I think)
+Bright screen with good viewing angles
+/-No visible LCD grid
+/-Larger screen than stock/Ags 101 (will need a new screen lens)
-Drains battery more than 101 screen
-Difficult to order
-Pricier than the Funny screen

Funny Playing screen
+Cheapest current option?
+/-No visible LCD grid
-Screen tearing (Possible BennVenn mod coming that could fix the tearing)

Coming Soon?
DS Lite bottom screen mod kit

+No screen tearing
+DS lite screens are plentiful and cheap
+Better battery life than the AGS 101
+Correct colour depth
-Screen ghosting

Coming Soon?
AMOLED

+Good battery life
-The price will be about the same as the TaoBao kit

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

+No tearing

TaoBao screen
+/-No visible LCD grid
-Difficult to order

Funny Playing screen
+/-No visible LCD grid

Coming Soon?

+No screen tearing
+Correct colour depth
-Screen ghosting

Coming Soon?
AMOLED

+Good battery life

Thanks, that helps a lot. It's too bad there's no perfect option right now.

Deleted member 48201

Banned
Sep 29, 2018

+No tearing

TaoBao screen
+/-No visible LCD grid
-Difficult to order

Funny Playing screen
+/-No visible LCD grid

Coming Soon?

+No screen tearing
+Correct colour depth
-Screen ghosting

Coming Soon?
AMOLED

+Good battery life

You forgot that the funny playing screen has 4x integer scalling and doesn't require soldering unless you want to use the 10 brightness settings.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
Not needing to solder is an important consideration and a big plus. Thanks for poitning that out, Hanzo.

Yeah, it's 4x integer for both the Funny and Tao I think, right? I guess it's worth mentioning it's 4x to fill the higher-res screen rather than just saying there's no LCD 'grid' but that's the end result of the integer scalling.

images2%202048%202048-800x800.jpg

Personally I prefer the grid of the AGS 101.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

FunnyPlaying v2, now with no screen tearing, according to the website.

Not happy about this at all, they are now selling these with a 3D bracket which wasnt included before (which I had to purchase separately) and they are also expecting people who bought the first batch to fork out another $15 for a replacement ribbon. I would have expected the ribbon cable to be sent to everyone who bought V1 for free as they shouldn't have been sold like that in the first place.

Its great for people buying these for the first time now, but its a bit of a slap in the face to the people who purchased them in good faith originally.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
I got my micro for only $80, in excellent external physical condition, but the heartbreaking caveat is there is something wrong with it that I can't quite diagnose. If pressure is applied to the system in a certain way (pressing a certain button combo or just adjusting your grip a bit sometimes) the screen goes berserk blinking and flashing colors. I thought it might have been a bad screen ribbon cable and dropped a brand new screen in but it still does it, so it might be a problem with the conection of the ribbon cable socket to the board but I have no way to really take care of that myself as I am an extremely novice solderer.

It's really nice to have when its working but some days there's no use picking the thing up.

Oct 25, 2017
I got my micro for only $80, in excellent external physical condition, but the heartbreaking caveat is there is something wrong with it that I can't quite diagnose. If pressure is applied to the system in a certain way (pressing a certain button combo or just adjusting your grip a bit sometimes) the screen goes berserk blinking and flashing colors. I thought it might have been a bad screen ribbon cable and dropped a brand new screen in but it still does it, so it might be a problem with the conection of the ribbon cable socket to the board but I have no way to really take care of that myself as I am an extremely novice solderer.

It's really nice to have when its working but some days there's no use picking the thing up.
Sounds like a cracked solder point, to me.

Cloggerdude

Just tell me what you need.
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I received my GBC101 drop in mod a few days ago and was super excited about it...until I realized that I needed a different sized glass lens. Oh well, I'll just order one....and the only website that sells them is sold out. So now I keep checking JellyBelly every day, hoping that their lens comes back in stock.

Are there any other options that will work?

mandiller

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I received my GBC101 drop in mod a few days ago and was super excited about it...until I realized that I needed a different sized glass lens. Oh well, I'll just order one....and the only website that sells them is sold out. So now I keep checking JellyBelly every day, hoping that their lens comes back in stock.

Are there any other options that will work?

Bluishsquirrel does them too. I've just recieved mine from there https://www.bluishsquirrel.com/page/game-boy-color-lenses

Cloggerdude

Just tell me what you need.
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
Something about the JellyBelly one having the word "official" used when BennVenn talks about it is swaying my purchasing decision even though I'm sure they're basically the same damn thing. I'm holding out for JB's restock since I'm not in a hurry, my batch 6 FS hasn't shipped yet.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Something about the JellyBelly one having the word "official" used when BennVenn talks about it is swaying my purchasing decision even though I'm sure they're basically the same damn thing. I'm holding out for JB's restock since I'm not in a hurry, my batch 6 FS hasn't shipped yet.
GB brother! I'm also in batch 6. Got my JB lens already, just waiting on the screen to put it all together.

Oct 25, 2017
I finally got my Freckleshack but made the mistake of ordering a RetroModding case only a few days ago, so now I've gotta wait for that. :/ On the plus side, my GBC will be USB rechargeable afterwards. :D

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I just bit the bullet and ordered a replacement case and buttons for my original GBA. Going with an Orange shell and Black buttons... Though I think I want to order a set of black rubber pads so that my start/select are also black.

I know there's the Backlit Screen Mod and the Rechargeable Battery Mod, are there any other good mods people would recommend?

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I've been considering getting a modded GBC recently, especially as I already have the everdrive. Any recommendations of where I can get them from the UK, and anything I need to watch out for?

Tempted to send my existing unwanted GBC to deadpan robot but last time I checked all the nice colour options were out of stock.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I finally got my Freckleshack but made the mistake of ordering a RetroModding case only a few days ago, so now I've gotta wait for that. :/ On the plus side, my GBC will be USB rechargeable afterwards. :D
Just looked up the Freckleshack and it looks amazing! I am seeing now how expensive modding this Game Boy could be. D:

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
just got an update that the freckleshack batch I'm waiting on is MIA, if it doesn't show up then the next batch (7) will be used to fulfill batch 6 for me, which lands in about 10 days for programming and testing. I ended up getting a lens from bluishsquirrel and then JelyBelly restocked the next day lol. Oh well, no biggy, I'll check the fit before adhering and if it's good I'll be happy.

That rechargeable battery mod right up there is looking pretty tempting but I have sunk enough into this thing this year. Maybe some time next year I won't feel bad about more tune-ups

Deleted member 48201

Banned
Sep 29, 2018

Funnyplaying seems to have fixed the tearing issue.

They are offering people who ordered V1 a replacement cable for $15. It should have been free but is better than nothing.

GBA IPS V2