• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
7f319a0b21b77e8aca5b8743712436a33ed2cbab_00.gif

Shino's death stood out to me because he fucking missed.
Shino missing was such a heartbreak. Cuz they set you up for one of the Top 10 most badass moments in the franchise. But, no.

It was actually one of the top 10 saddest. My girlfriend and I screamed when he missed.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Space punches and space slaps, Katz dying (not hard enough) and

baT7amV.jpg

But if there's one flaw with Gundam as a whole is that in the UC timeline, the fact that Zeon killed BILLIONS of people never feels reckoned with?

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
In Z Gundam:

Kamille turning around to look at Emma's body, calmly saying "Kamille, Zeta, ikimasu". A phrase they say almost every episode. However, given the context, it's just simple and effective in showing his resolve, it's him finally accepting his role as a New type.

In V Gundam:

When Reinforce's old men decided to kamikaze, when they say something to the effect of "let us oldies pave the path for the young ones". That scene always send me in tears.

Bonus point- while she's considered one of the most hated woman in Gundam, I can't help but feel some sympathy for Katejina. She was a typical teenage girl being thrown into a war, she was captured and wasn't rescued, she watches as Uso becomes more prominent and clearly has picked the right side, she watches Uso grew apart from her. Cut her some slacks, she was seriously broken by the time of the final fight.

In Turn-A Gundam:

In the final fight, after Gym Ghingnham gave his entire whine about how it's not him, it's her, and how Lohan can never defeat him. Lohan turns his Gundam around, shouting "I'll defeat you" always give me goosebumps just thinking about it.

Sorry, no gif, use your imagination.

Also sorry, I watch in Japanese so if I got the names or phrases wrong, please forgive me.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Is the franchise in a bad place right now?

I've only enjoyed it on a surface level ever since the 1990s, but I remember feeling legitimately underwhelmed with their most recent event's announcements. I also heard that Tekketsu-G isn't popular in Japan (even though I really liked it).

modewarp

Oct 25, 2017
I've never actually seen Turn-A-Gundam, but I also do have a sweetspot for its intro for some reason even if I have no idea what's going on.

Well, more controversially, its second intro rather than its first.

Turn A is about people from the moon returning to earth after an apocalyptic event, and a civilization which has built itself back up to like model T fords and biplanes-ish has to defend against their attack. Also a rich girl and a moon princess do freaky friday. It's great. Watch it. Best gundam.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah Turn A is definitely one of the greats. The freaky friday stuff between Kihel and Diana is soooooo good at times.
That scene when they are both on the orbital elevator and basically tag team a speech with most people being none the wiser gave me legit goosebumps back in the day. Of course all of the side-eyes where people are like "Wait which one I am talking to now?" never gets old either.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Is the franchise in a bad place right now?

I've only enjoyed it on a surface level ever since the 1990s, but I remember feeling legitimately underwhelmed with their most recent event's announcements. I also heard that Tekketsu-G isn't popular in Japan (even though I really liked it).
Seems to be in a great spot to me. Bunch of new movies and stuff on the way. New SD series. Celebrating a 40th Anniversary. And if it wasn't popular in Japan, then I have no clue why there is so much merch over there for it. Send to have been a reasonable success all things considered.

modewarp

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Turn A is definitely one of the greats. The freaky friday stuff between Kihel and Diana is soooooo good at times.
That scene when they are both on the orbital elevator and basically tag team a speech with most people being none the wiser gave me legit goosebumps back in the day. Of course all of the side-eyes where people are like "Wait which one I am talking to now?" never gets old either.

It's one of my favorite "gimmicks". And the way they play it out, and the gravitas of their respective positions at times, and how they wind up playing it out, is so good.

Not to mention the music. The 2nd end theme and the movie end theme in particular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgYKIZa3ktQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USJkkji4SXw

The nonvocal stuff is great as well, and I highly recommend giving the soundtracks a whirl.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It's one of my favorite "gimmicks". And the way they play it out, and the gravitas of their respective positions at times, and how they wind up playing it out, is so good.

Not to mention the music. The 2nd end theme and the movie end theme in particular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgYKIZa3ktQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USJkkji4SXw

The nonvocal stuff is great as well, and I highly recommend giving the soundtracks a whirl.

Yup, the increasing tension between Kihel and Harry also makes it all that much better.
Some of their interactions towards the end are really great.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Gundam wing was everyone's first Gundam much like dbz was to Dragonball.

Nothing beat how scared af everyone was when a Gundam showed up. People were legit shook back then.

I remember almost Everytime a Gundam showed up, you'd hear "ITS A GUNDAM!!!!!"

https://youtu.be/51rOp1Ow-NY

Plus they had some of the coolest toonami intros too.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
In Turn-A Gundam:

In the final fight, after Gym Ghingnham gave his entire whine about how it's not him, it's her, and how Lohan can never defeat him. Lohan turns his Gundam around, shouting "I'll defeat you" always give me goosebumps just thinking about it.
I love how Gym tries to set up a dramatic sword fight and then Loran just instantly breaks the cheap old piece of shit katana he keeps twirling around. You realize just how pathetic the dude is.

OP
OP
MMarston

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just remembered this one and in case anyone missed out on this (from like ten years ago lol)

I really hope they got around to making another one this year, ridiculous as it is

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
I love how Gym tries to set up a dramatic sword fight and then Loran just instantly breaks the cheap old piece of shit katana he keeps twirling around. You realize just how pathetic the dude is.
That scene puzzled me when I 1st saw it, "That was a little anti-climatic" I thought. However I recognised later the significance of it: it's a homage to 0079, the final fight between Amuro and Char.