• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Just announced on their Netflix Geeked twitter and Gundaminfo youtube (the official Gundam news page). Definitely was not expecting this at all, but makes sense with the OG Gundam trilogy movies and Char's Counterattack dropping this month as well. Can't wait!

EDIT: Apparently a July 1 release now.

Last edited:

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
First Gunpowder Milkshake, now this, right as I can potentially go to theaters again. Not loving this new form of Netflix Jail specifically for stuff I want to see on a big screen.

Why couldn't they have done this for Gundam Narrative instead, the one that's kinda mediocre and a direct sequel to Unicorn?

Aeroucn

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit finally something good Netflix, now can you give Khara whatever they want a get us a worldwide release of 3.0+4.0

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Love me some Gundman. I wasn't always the biggest UC fan purely from the original series and OVAs, but their continued development of the setting and time period continually with stuff like Origins and Unicorn and now this have really made me love it. Can't wait to watch it.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I think the last Gundam I watched fully was iron blooded orphans - which I liked a lot.

Anyone know if Hathaway is suppose to be good? Animation looks nice.

FreeangelGP05

Oct 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I think the last Gundam I watched fully was iron blooded orphans - which I liked a lot.

Anyone know if Hathaway is suppose to be good? Animation looks nice.

I've heard good things through Twitter and Reddit for what it is worth. My wife, who is only sort of into anime, is really interested in this. So, I'm going to take that as a good thing.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
This is great!

With the original movie trilogy and Char's Counterattack coming on June 18, I'm hoping that they'll be adding even more series by the time this comes out.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, nice. I wonder how soon? I think they're giving away blu-ray copies in theaters in Japan.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018

Just announced on their Netflix Geeked twitter and Gundaminfo youtube (the official Gundam news page). Definitely was not expecting this at all, but makes sense with the OG Gundam trilogy movies and Char's Counterattack dropping this month as well. Can't wait!

Should I watch Zeta before this? I know the UC is only tangentially connected, but I've been working my way through the OG series, and I had my sights set on Zeta next.

Maybe I'll just watch in release order and get to Hathaway when I get there. Idk.

deadman322

Oct 29, 2017
dude needs to really get over quess.

Should I watch Zeta before this? I know the UC is only tangentially connected, but I've been working my way through the OG series, and I had my sights set on Zeta next.

Maybe I'll just watch in release order and get to Hathaway when I get there. Idk.

well you should watch zeta just because its the best UC series. but you should probably watch chars counterattack as Hathaway appears a lot in that film.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

i haven't seen it (obviously) or read the novel, but lots of CCA's set up is based around the events of Zeta and ZZ.

Plus two words: Haman Karn

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

Char's Counterattack is the most closely related, so watching that will be essential. I don't think Zeta has much if anything to do with Hathaway's Flash but I'm not sure. It's an important piece of the overall story anyway so it's still worth watching.

Unicorn might be important to this too but I'm not sure. Hathaway is later in the timeline, after Unicorn, but the book was also written 20 years before Unicorn existed, so any Unicorn connections will have been written in just for this. Unicorn is also worth watching either way though.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god thank you Netflix. I want to see this so bad! I'm just finishing off watching Victory and I'll have seen all of the UC.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017

Mobile Suit Gundam, Z Gundam, ZZ Gundam, and Char's Counterattack are the main trunk of the UC timeline and you'll understand 90% of everything else if you've watched those. UC content released after CCA is either taking place a good bit later and pushing the timeline forward (F91, Unicorn, Victory, and now Hathaway) or filling in gaps in that original sequence (most of the 80's/90's OVAs).

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
The blu rays are so expensive though :(
Gundam's YouTube channel regularly has full seasons of shows that you can watch there, which is where I originally watched Zeta (the GOAT). They rotate out, so I'm not sure what's available currently, but I'm sure Zeta and ZZ will be available to watch there at some point.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Gundam's YouTube channel regularly has full seasons of shows that you can watch there, which is where I originally watched Zeta (the GOAT). They rotate out, so I'm not sure what's available currently, but I'm sure Zeta and ZZ will be available to watch there at some point.

ZZ was on there a couple years as well. All Gundam is on Netflix in Japan, so I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually see the same in the West.

Jaychrome91

Nov 4, 2018
That looks awesome. Haven't watched Gundam in like 10 years, will watch this. Love the animation and artstyle. I hope it's good.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Not a huge fan of the mecha designs but maybe they'll grow on me.

Nothing has ever really surpassed the Zeta Plus in my eyes but that's not the standard I'm setting here.

OP
OP
donkey

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

If you're going to do it anyway, might as well. They're all linked like everyone says, but if you're short on time, Char's Counterattack is the one to watch prior since Hathaway's Flash is a direct sequel from its events.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
K7eK2Js.jpeg

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't need to watch Zeta, although I highly recommend it since its the GOAT. Hathaway is not such an important character in Zeta that it influences Hathaway's Flash. Its mostly just CCA.

As always, skip ZZ

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Do not skip ZZ Gundam.
Does this do all of Hathaway's Flash? Or part of it, or takes poetic liberties?
Part of it, this is the first in a trilogy.
You mainly have to watch CCA to get Hathaway as he is just a kid in Zeta and doesn't do much with the brief time he is there.

Now does this movie follow the Novel continuity or the movie continuity?
People are speculating that it will bridge the gap between novel and movie like Star Wars Rebels re-integrating Thrawn to canon. My default assumption is that it'll fit with all the other TV shows, movies, and OVAs rather than hewing closely to a novel lots of people haven't read.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
*sees Quess*

IM OUT

but seriously, neat, will probably watch it despite being pretty disappointed that all the mobile suits are CG