• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
How long is the Mission Mode? I got to C rank and got kinda tired of it. The B map was so long.
A to H then X and Z I think.

H is very short. Like 6 missions total. Z is just a boss gauntlet. Around 11 boss missions. X is a bonus map but it has a lot of missions.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tallgeese 3 was the first suit I really used when I got into the EXVS series but I eventually drifted off of it as I picked up way more suits and they added T2 which I liked more in the show anyway. In the interest of using different suits in my last few sessions I decided to use my OG T3 some, and I really don't know how I managed to learn this game with this. Super vernier is so damn weird.

OP
OP
donkey

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Some Excellia ranked gameplay I took earlier this week:

Tallgeese 3 was the first suit I really used when I got into the EXVS series but I eventually drifted off of it as I picked up way more suits and they added T2 which I liked more in the show anyway. In the interest of using different suits in my last few sessions I decided to use my OG T3 some, and I really don't know how I managed to learn this game with this. Super vernier is so damn weird.
TG3 in EXVS2 is pretty high tier now. Not only is it a 3000, apparently its SV is set to a button now and is described as Epyon with a gun.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I had so many good games yesterday. I think I'm actually improving. I more often than not got first on my casual matches. But maybe casual is a different beast than ranked. I'm feeling very comfortable with the Mk II at least. Just gotta work on my defense. I always fuck up my blocks.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know if they do decide to backport some other suits it probably wouldn't make the cut, but I would be keen to play Pale Rider again.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Ok, I need help. I started playing mission mode again and it was all easy peezy no brainer stuff early on.

But for the life of me I'm getting my ass kicked on C-15 with a bunch OC Gun-Ez unite for some reason. The three of them and their support is just beam spamming me from every direction non-stop and I'm getting interrupted and knocked out of every move I try. I'm not good at handling multiple enemies at once. How do I not die?

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Ok, I need help. I started playing mission mode again and it was all easy peezy no brainer stuff early on.

But for the life of me I'm getting my ass kicked on C-15 with a bunch OC Gun-Ez unite for some reason. The three of them and their support is just beam spamming me from every direction non-stop and I'm getting interrupted and knocked out of every move I try. I'm not good at handling multiple enemies at once. How do I not die?
I just completed this Saturday and it was hell. After trying multiple suits, it was the Shining Gundam that did it for me, if you can believe it.

Anyway, the method I did was a very brute force one, but I was able to beat it by killing Gun-EZs that were far enough to not be covered by their teammates and/or priortizing and killing one as quickly as I could while dogding enemy fire as best as I could. I also picked off the weaker ones my teammate was able to do good damage on whenever the opprotunity arose. When the V-Gundam Hexa and another Gun-EZ comes after the second wave, I focused on the Gun-EZ so that they couldn't provide cover assist or cover fire to Hexa, making it easier to deal with Hexa. I also used burst here to kill the Gun-EZ as quickly as possible and any other enemy units if I had gauge left.

I did all of this without any customations, so I would use some that'll increase damage, mobility, ability cooldown, etc if you want to make this easier and if you have them. You can still get a S-Rank on this mission if your teammates dies only once.

Last edited:

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I finally successfully blocked a melee attack which led to a punish that won us the game. Fucking finally. Idk what it is but sometimes I try to block and it doesn't come out. I think because the landing animation eats the input or something. I don't even know.

OP
OP
donkey

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Platinum'd! Went much faster than I expected.

yIsYun9.png

Also some fun team combo action with Shouta on ranked hold yesterday:

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I finally successfully blocked a melee attack which led to a punish that won us the game. Fucking finally. Idk what it is but sometimes I try to block and it doesn't come out. I think because the landing animation eats the input or something. I don't even know.
The landing recovery does stop you from blocking right away

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I just completed this Saturday and it was hell. After trying multiple suits, it was the Shining Gundam that did it for me, if you can believe it.

Anyway, the method I did was a very brute force one, but I was able to beat it by killing Gun-EZs that were far enough to not be covered by their teammates and/or priortizing and killing one as quickly as I could while dogding enemy fire as best as I could. I also picked off the weaker ones my teammate was able to do good damage on whenever the opprotunity arose. When the V-Gundam Hexa and another Gun-EZ comes after the second wave, I focused on the Gun-EZ so that they couldn't provide cover assist or cover fire to Hexa, making it easier to deal with Hexa. I also used burst here to kill the Gun-EZ as quickly as possible and any other enemy units if I had gauge left.

I did all of this without any customations, so I would use some that'll increase damage, mobility, ability cooldown, etc if you want to make this easier and if you have them. You can still get a S-Rank on this mission if your teammates dies only once.

Thanks, that was helpful. I actually ended up doing it by running and hiding lol

I used Nu and basically funnel and ran with beam shots and missiles from a distance. Hid behind stuff a lot to block incoming weapon spam.

I wonder against the cpu if this is a good tactic of basically staying away and turtling sometimes. Especially when there's like 6-9 enemy units vs you.

OP
OP
donkey

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Thanks, that was helpful. I actually ended up doing it by running and hiding lol

I used Nu and basically funnel and ran with beam shots and missiles from a distance. Hid behind stuff a lot to block incoming weapon spam.

I wonder against the cpu if this is a good tactic of basically staying away and turtling sometimes. Especially when there's like 6-9 enemy units vs you.
I used V2/Xi Gundam for a lot of the missions. V2's instagib main in Assault Buster mode is nice to just keep multiple enemies down for a decent time.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I wish I owned all the vocal Gundam music and had the sound levels optimized so I could load a bunch of songs I loved. Seems like a lot of work with a high cost.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
What are some good Gundams for beginners, Ryu style? Want to learn and git gud, searching for a characters with solid straight forward moves, no "gimmicks" and so on.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I've always been a Gundam fan and bought this because it sounds super awesome, but holy shit is this impenetrable to someone who's never played these games. I don't even see an obvious training mode. Every attack I do seems to miss, and I'm just getting totally steamrolled.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I've always been a Gundam fan and bought this because it sounds super awesome, but holy shit is this impenetrable to someone who's never played these games. I don't even see an obvious training mode. Every attack I do seems to miss, and I'm just getting totally steamrolled.

Mission Mode starts with a little tutorial but the Google Doc in the OP will help immensely.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, the learning curve is a bit steep but if you stick with it you'll get it! I also recommend the Google doc in the OP

What are some good Gundams for beginners, Ryu style? Want to learn and git gud, searching for a characters with solid straight forward moves, no "gimmicks" and so on.

RX-78-2 Gundam, S burst

It has it all

Basic Beam rifle

Good beam Zunda

Beam rifle cancels into bazooka for free

Bazooka for any melee character that tries to get in your face

A down b type counter that also works as a regular shield

And more!

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
I've always heard people recommend Xi Gundam as it teaches you fundamentals. Reason being it's the most basic 3000 cost suit. Basic in execution not in quality.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
RX-78-2 Gundam, S burst

It has it all

Basic Beam rifle

Good beam Zunda

Beam rifle cancels into bazooka for free

Bazooka for any melee character that tries to get in your face

A down b type counter that also works as a regular shield

And more!
I've always heard people recommend Xi Gundam as it teaches you fundamentals. Reason being it's the most basic 3000 cost suit. Basic in execution not in quality.

Thanks! Just woke up and will get straight into the game, spending some time with both units :)

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! Just woke up and will get straight into the game, spending some time with both units :)
X2 is also super newbie friendly. It's the 2,000 cost pirate one. It has everything you need AND it has a cloak at the start of a life that absorbs damage. So you can take a few hits before you actually start losing health.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In regards to the Xi recommendation, if you're going online I wouldn't recommend a 3k starting out. Finding a 2k or 2.5k you like would be significantly better because other players will zero in on a brand new player on a 3k right away and just dogpile you.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Crossbone X2 is a great choice too btw

His charge shot is very easy to use and good for helping you learn how to support people. Comes with a great beam rifle too, so you don't have to worry about being too conservative about firing. Sub weapon keeps you mobile, and serves as a great self defense tool, and he has a standard gerobi which is good for teaching you how to use those as a tool.

And to top it off, X2 has a beam mantle so you can get away with some sloppy landings and it serves as some nice training wheels. Plus he's cheap so less pressure if you're worried about overcosting a partner.

Basic Controls Vid using RX-78-02
OP
OP
donkey

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

In regards to the person saying Xi, if you're going online I wouldn't recommend a 3k starting out. Finding a 2k or maybe 2.5k you like would be significantly better because other players will zero in on a brand new player on a 3k right away and just dogpile you.
Yeah, I was going to say 3ks for newcomers aren't really recommended due to the fact you are the anchor of the team and a lot of people online will easily smell the lack of experience.

Also, this vid in conjunction with the threadmarked stuff I added will help you out with the basics (especially since RX-78 is being featured)

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I just don't know about this game, I like it conceptually, but I'm just so so so bad at it no matter how many guides I watch and read. I thought I would be okay enough to hold my own since I got all S ranks in a decent chunk of the mission mode, but playing online I just get juggled into oblivion, can't make a single shot or hit, and always end up in dead last with half the points the other team members have. This feels kind of impossible.

dwix85

Nov 15, 2017
I just don't know about this game, I like it conceptually, but I'm just so so so bad at it no matter how many guides I watch and read. I thought I would be okay enough to hold my own since I got all S ranks in a decent chunk of the mission mode, but playing online I just get juggled into oblivion, can't make a single shot or hit, and always end up in dead last with half the points the other team members have. This feels kind of impossible.
I can certainly say I've been there. It definitely takes time to get enough muscle memory around the combat rhythm that you can start to focus on situational awareness and realizing when to pressure, back, off, etc.

One thing I did back on Gundam Versus was just play Free Match and practice staying away from enemy units (usually selected pressure units for the AI). I didn't even try engaging, just play keep away. Just trying to learn that skill helped me get a lot better understanding of how to keep my spacing and to keep an eye on the map, boost, etc. - after that I tried adding in attacks where I was able to punish landings, and then just built from there.

Bear in mind, I am still not good at this game, but I feel like I know it better and can see my mistakes more clearly.

EDIT: I'd also add that picking suits that have less complexity up front is good for just learning how it all works. There are good recommendations linked and mentioned in this thread so maybe try some of those.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Man I haven't played all week because of work. I'm still grinding away with Mk II to get Emma's alt outfit. I've been at rank 2 proficiency for a while so I might as well. Because of that I haven't really tried other suits. Is there no way to check how many matches I've done with each suit in casual match? I remember someone saying you can but I never found the option.

RiderKairuu

Oct 25, 2017
Keep at it. I was there with Full Boost and even now I range from a 10 win streak to losing 10 in a row lmao. Analyze your replays, find out what you can do differently in a given scenario. Sometimes it's harder to consistently do good every match just due to the 2v2 nature of it, unless you're a god.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I've been playing this series since the original on the Dreamcast. I have always been terrible online against other people (I've even had my ass handed to me multiple times at arcades in Japan) but I love the mission modes and single player branching standard arcade mode. Plus I've got my daughter to play with split screen now. That's all I need.

OP
OP
donkey

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I appreciate how some of these guys stick true to their PSN names. Been playing this Zeon_Grunt and they've only been using OYW Zeon units. ^^

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
About how much worthwhile single player content is in this game if I don't click with the multiplayer? Haven't played one of these in a while.