• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
So downloaded based on just trying something new. And I literally walked into the MVC of gundam this is a weird game any simple to follow vids, wish it had a in game tutorial besides reading

Donkey posted a great guide on the last page. It has GIFs and such to help you visualize how some of the systems work as well:

www.resetera.com

Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme VS Maxiboost ON |OT| Wow, Cool Robot OT

While you’re waiting, the Extreme Evolution Gundam crew just released a player guide for all levels of expertise: No more having to attempt to translate JP wikis since it’s all there! Yeah they have a few like Nu Zeon Gundam and Moon Gundam

t.co

Gundam EXVS MBON Player's Guide - Full Bandwidth Edition

Note: This version is designed for full-bandwidth internet connections and standard devices, such as desktop computers, laptops, and current-model tablets.Use the Table of Contents page or the left-hand sidebar to quickly jump to a secti...

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It ain't a VS launch without hopping on a team with a 3k who starts the round by walking lol. Went to a shuffle room after that to let god decide my fate and things went better. So good to have my boy efreet back.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Is there an instant land move when airborne? I forgot. I remember Versus had one but I'm not sure if that was a unique mechanic to that game.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there an instant land move when airborne? I forgot. I remember Versus had one but I'm not sure if that was a unique mechanic to that game.
Unique to that game, thankfully. Certain suits do have fast falls that are dedicated inputs like Tallgeese 3 2B or happen when cancelling certain moves, but nothing universal

Last edited:

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Always feels like I am the only one on the planet that didn't mind the boost dive mechanic. The entire point of GVS was to be a spin off
with slightly different mechanics and units with fast falls were always popular so it made sense to give everyone that tool.
Nothing wrong with fighting games that have strong universal mechanics! (see: KI combo breaker or 3rd strike parry)

It is kinda nice not having to worry about another input though. heh

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Unique to that game, thankfully. Certain suits do have fast falls that are dedicated inputs like Tallgeese 3 2B or happen when cancelling certain moves, but nothing universal

Ah, yeah that's what I thought. I really liked that move since I could boost around a lot more without worrying about lingering airborne and getting hit. Now gotta get back used to just stepping instead of boost dashing everywhere.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Always feels like I am the only one on the planet that didn't mind the boost dive mechanic. The entire point of GVS was to be a spin off
with slightly different mechanics and units with fast falls were always popular so it made sense to give everyone that tool.
Nothing wrong with fighting games that have strong universal mechanics! (see: KI combo breaker or 3rd strike parry)

It is kinda nice not having to worry about another input though. heh
Oh it's a great idea conceptually, it's just that it effectively breaks the neutral of the game in practice lol. Same with strikers being a nice idea for helping suits cover weaknesses they have ending up as every suit in the game being able to blast you with a 3k's gerobi.

The problem is that they didn't make a new game built around those ideas, they took the existing game not built around them and just kinda hoped it would work out. If they made that game the systems would probably be great.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Oh it's a great idea conceptually, it's just that it effectively breaks the neutral of the game in practice lol. Same with strikers being a nice idea for helping suits cover weaknesses they have ending up as every suit in the game being able to blast you with a 3k's gerobi.

The problem is that they didn't make a new game built around those ideas, they took the existing game not built around them and just kinda hoped it would work out. If they made that game the systems would probably be great.

It plays differently and the neutral is absolutely a completely different beast (but you can say the same thing about neutral in 3S compared to literally every other SF game in the series), but free fall was already a thing and if you were playing a low tier/low cost suit with no free fall against a 3K with free fall in vanilla MB or MBON you were in for a world of hurt if they knew how to use it properly.

I thought both mechanics just served to basically flatten the tiers somewhat and level the playing field to be honest. A lot of the S/A+ tier units
in MBON are a result of having S tier summons or free fall cancels, etc.

GVS reaction always felt like a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation where drastic changes gets people up in arms about messing up the formula but the same people complain that they don't change enough.

ANYWAY, I don't want to get anymore off topic.

Last edited:
Video tutorials and tips/tricks
OP
OP
donkey

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
So downloaded based on just trying something new. And I literally walked into the MVC of gundam this is a weird game any simple to follow vids, wish it had a in game tutorial besides reading
Like MistaTwo said, check out the threadmark with the big ass guide. Definitely the most in-depth English guide for the series, ever.

And also check these out (will threadmark, too).

I'm fully prepared to team up with nothing but Wing Zero's and Death Scythe's launch week haha.
Sorry sir, but it's Lupus Rex and Bael time.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Found this funny image.

Setsuna truly is the Goku/Marth of Gundam EXVS. No idea how he got so many Mobile Suits but I like it.

1596172530551.jpg

OP
OP
donkey

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
They should add dupe units based on the Celestial Being movie, hah.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Been playing these games for so long but I cannot seem to wrap my mind around how to actually play. It always felt like I am doing something wrong. But I love Gundam so much that I find a way to enjoy it single player ever since.

Been lurking in the thread since the Beta started. The roster is mindblowing for me as a gunpla collector. I just love seeing the mobile suit move, shoot lasers and to melee combos. I have just been playing branch battles since the beta though lol.

That guide is a really good read though. I think I got more understanding on how to actually move in these games now.

I have been practicing with the newfound knowledge I have from the guide. I'll take on some more single player sessions and maybe some coop tomorrow.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing these games for so long but I cannot seem to wrap my mind around how to actually play. It always felt like I am doing something wrong.

This is me - i've been playing these games since 2011 0r 2012, played them for hundereds of hours but never really grasped what makes a good player (despite playing against several good players) asides from the basics until ps4 Versus back in 2017 when i started paying more attention. I'm better now but i'm still not what I would consider "good"...

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I'll never be good at any competitive video game, because my joint issues don't allow me to play strenuous games for long periods of time :/
If you are playing pad, definitely remap controls. You'll want to be able to hold A and B for charge shots, so you may want those on shoulder buttons or something comfortable to hold for extended periods.
Do you play with default controls on stick? My fingers always got tired at the arcade boosting... but I also have hand issues, so maybe that's just me.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never be good at any competitive video game, because my joint issues don't allow me to play strenuous games for long periods of time :/

Do you play with default controls on stick? My fingers always got tired at the arcade boosting... but I also have hand issues, so maybe that's just me.
Yeah I use default for stick, I just prefer to use arcade layout for everything so I don't really use macros or anything

I have thought about mapping a secondary melee button to make holding charge shot easier but it's not like a big deal for me so I don't think I will

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing these games for so long but I cannot seem to wrap my mind around how to actually play. It always felt like I am doing something wrong. But I love Gundam so much that I find a way to enjoy it single player ever since.
This is me.

X05

Oct 25, 2017
Found this funny image.

Setsuna truly is the Goku/Marth of Gundam EXVS. No idea how he got so many Mobile Suits but I like it.

1596172530551.jpg
That's because they decided to shit on Athrun from SEED
Dude has 4 suits in the shows plus piloted some other shit, and gets only one rep in the game, despite being the co protag (and arguably the protag in Destiny)

At least we got the Lacus-piloted Infinite Justice which is really fun to use lol

They should add dupe units based on the Celestial Being movie, hah.

Word, the only good thing in that garbage movie

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Like MistaTwo said, check out the threadmark with the big ass guide. Definitely the most in-depth English guide for the series, ever.

And also check these out (will threadmark, too).

Sorry sir, but it's Lupus Rex and Bael time.

Thanks for the guides they really make everything easier!

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I wanna import Last Impression but I'll never hear more than like 5% of it in a match lol.

Defunkled

Oct 29, 2017
Casual match is straight up broken. I've tried over 10 times and half the time it sits in the training area and it won't even let me cancel the matchmaking; I have to quit and restart the game to get back to the menu. The other times it says "Syncronizing" then "The match is cancelled."

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
That's because they decided to shit on Athrun from SEED
Dude has 4 suits in the shows plus piloted some other shit, and gets only one rep in the game, despite being the co protag (and arguably the protag in Destiny)

At least we got the Lacus-piloted Infinite Justice which is really fun to use lol
Yeah Athrun is shafted in this game. He is surprisingly one of the few good characters from Seed/Seed Destiny. I would love to pilot the Savior Gundam out of all of his suits.

OP
OP
donkey

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Casual match is straight up broken. I've tried over 10 times and half the time it sits in the training area and it won't even let me cancel the matchmaking; I have to quit and restart the game to get back to the menu. The other times it says "Syncronizing" then "The match is cancelled."
Yeah, it's pretty borked atm. They're looking into though at the very least. Just try to jump into a player match for now.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Yeah Athrun is shafted in this game. He is surprisingly one of the few good characters from Seed/Seed Destiny. I would love to pilot the Savior Gundam out of all of his suits.

Yeah, I'm kinda surprised in normal SEED there's Freedom...and a bunch of other units...but no Justice.

Seems like an odd decision.

RiderKairuu

Oct 25, 2017
It sucks but if you wait long enough it'll eventually kick back to the main menu. I just use the extra time to lab stuff. Thankfully the game restarts fairly quickly lol.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Am I able to dump more songs into the game whenever I want? It said something about deleting that I didn't really pay attention to.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
How in the hell can i raise the Intimacy with my Navi?
Ive been using Haman (Player) and Sthesia Awar Nono (Battle) and have done up to like the 3rd map of branch solo missions but their heart is still at one, meanwhile my fucking roommate has 4 hearts on his shit

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Ive been using Haman (Player) and Sthesia Awar Nono (Battle) and have done up to like the 3rd map of branch solo missions but their heart is still at one, meanwhile my fucking roommate has 4 hearts on his shit
Be nicer to them.

I dunno. I have Lunamaria set as both and got it to 2 before finishing B.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
1-9 with casual matches, WOO.

Holy crap this game is tough lmao But I'm still having a lot of fun, go figure lol

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
goes up really quick from online matches. I already maxed out mine and also got up to 52k GP fast.

DioDaMando

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a discord for this game? I've play a lot of fighters but this game doesn't explain anything and there is no practice mode.

Edit: oops didn't read first post
-Max Goof

OP
OP
donkey

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Am I able to dump more songs into the game whenever I want? It said something about deleting that I didn't really pay attention to.
If you want to add a new track (s) without "deleting" the ones you've added, it's a little tricky. So for example, you had 12 tracks on your USB folder before... simply add another track to that folder so there's 13 and import. Doing a clean import with just one new file in the folder will undo your previous import. Doing it the previous way will also remember your custom BGM song settings. It's weird, but that's what I've discovered when having to reupload songs to boost their volumes.

tl;dr To import new tracks without deleting your previous work, add them with your previous batch of songs in the MBONMUSIC folder on your USB import the whole lot. Don't import just one track by itself.

Yeah, like mentioned above, online matches seem to boost it way faster. I've 5 starred Haman and Meer already... 👀🤣
Is there a discord for this game? I've play a lot of fighters but this game doesn't explain anything and there is no practice mode.

Edit: oops didn't read first post
-Max Goof
Sent! Also check out the thread marks for some really good guides for beginners. ^^

Oct 27, 2017
Like VS, I went into media to check out Wing's clip and snag some PS4 background photos.... and no clip for Wing and maybe one or two more series. The little things really bug me with this game haha.

Beginner’s suit guide
OP
OP
donkey

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
How does one boost the volume of tracks in MBON? Will I need an external program?
Yeah you do. A bit unfortunate considering you could do that in Full Boost
It's probably worth putting the two google docs into the OP. I found them super helpful in explaining mechanics I bumbled through in VS

Yeah, I'll drop them in a bit but I've thread marked the first one at the very least for now. Haven't seen that second one, so thanks for sharing that!

EDIT: Hmmm, some of those seem like a misnomer in their difficulty. Like it says Zabanya is hard, but I'd argue it's harder to use Reborns in comparison who is listed as intermediate.

I suppose from a beginner standpoint (which it was made for his friends getting into the game) it would make sense considering Reborns has more obvious tools, but that's a unit that definitely scales tremendously with the skill of the player.

Last edited:

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
If you want to add a new track (s) without "deleting" the ones you've added, it's a little tricky. So for example, you had 12 tracks on your USB folder before... simply add another track to that folder so there's 13 and import. Doing a clean import with just one new file in the folder will undo your previous import. Doing it the previous way will also remember your custom BGM song settings. It's weird, but that's what I've discovered when having to reupload songs to boost their volumes.

tl;dr To import new tracks without deleting your previous work, add them with your previous batch of songs in the MBONMUSIC folder on your USB import the whole lot. Don't import just one track by itself.
So if I reimport all of them again with the new track, I won't have to reassign the ones I've already assigned to each suit? That's pretty nice. That's what I was afraid I would have to do.

OP
OP
donkey

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
So if I reimport all of them again with the new track, I won't have to reassign the ones I've already assigned to each suit? That's pretty nice. That's what I was afraid I would have to do.
Yeah, that's what I've discovered so far.
This game has no tutorials or instruction at all in game? wtf.
The first few Maxi Boost missions offer some instructions, but they could definitely do a better job of it...
Yeah, they could've done more, but check out the threadmarks for some good tutorials.