• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, just jump into the Gundamnation room whenever it comes online. A fair amount of beginners in there. :) Hopefully one of us posts here when it does.

Ive been a regular on the Gundamnation room streams for the last several years, throughout Full Boost/Versus/Gundam Breaker 2 and 3. Some of us have been playing EXVS for years, but none of us really seriously. Lots of beginners and a few of us are more intermediate at best. Look for us on

twitch.tv/fightersready

twitch.tv/eskay_09

You can add me as a friend on psn as well (enron76) and watch for when im on during the weekends - most of the time ill be playing with Gundamnation folks if we don't have an actual Gundamnation room up.

Last edited:

Defunkled

Oct 29, 2017
This game is borderline unplayable when laggy; just had 6 matches in a row with awful stuttering. I think I've had more laggy matches than smooth. And yes, I'm playing on a good wired connection.

Thinking about canceling my Amazon pre-order if the online is this bad.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really enjoying this game, but man, it does not feel like it's worth $60 if what you're looking for is single-player content. Heck, even multiplayer-wise, the online is kind of laggy at times, and it really doesn't feel like there are that many options for how to play online either.

I feel like this game would be an easier buy for me if it fixed these issues and also had a 1v1 option like Gundam Versus. Because as of right now, 2v2 is sort of, annoying I guess? Especially if you don't know anyone else who is playing this game for them to be your teammate; feels like the kind of game you want voice chat for as well.

Man, I really wish we weren't in the middle of a pandemic because this game would've been great for locals and getting to know other folks who play it, it even has a LAN mode!

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I'm really enjoying this game, but man, it does not feel like it's worth $60 if what you're looking for is single-player content. Heck, even multiplayer-wise, the online is kind of laggy at times, and it really doesn't feel like there are that many options for how to play online either.

I feel like this game would be an easier buy for me if it fixed these issues and also had a 1v1 option like Gundam Versus. Because as of right now, 2v2 is sort of, annoying I guess? Especially if you don't know anyone else who is playing this game for them to be your teammate; feels like the kind of game you want voice chat for as well.

Man, I really wish we weren't in the middle of a pandemic because this game would've been great for locals and getting to know other folks who play it, it even has a LAN mode!

Haven't they omitted the single player modes for the public beta?

My 8 year old daughter is playing split screen with me a lot so it's been fun.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Outside Japan, are any other regions getting a physical release? Tempted to grab the Asian release for $55 if it's going to be physical. Play Asia isn't super clear.

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't they omitted the single player modes for the public beta?

My 8 year old daughter is playing split screen with me a lot so it's been fun.
Does it have single player? How is it?

There's an Arcade mode that's pretty basic and that's still in the beta, and is pretty much it for single-player I believe; overall it got boring pretty quickly because unless you're on the highest difficulty, the computer just feels way too easy to beat.

This game is essentially a straight to consoles port of the arcade game, the only really big additions are that there are two suits exclusive to consoles. Unfortunate, but understandable given I imagine most people just want the arcade experience at home.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It's ridiculous how much you've sold me on this game OP. Chucking my money at it today so I can keep playing the beta test tomorrow.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does it have single player? How is it?
There's an Arcade mode that's pretty basic and that's still in the beta, and is pretty much it for single-player I believe; overall it got boring pretty quickly because unless you're on the highest difficulty, the computer just feels way too easy to beat.

This game is essentially a straight to consoles port of the arcade game, the only really big additions are that there are two suits exclusive to consoles. Unfortunate, but understandable given I imagine most people just want the arcade experience at home.

There is a mission mode that is not in the beta in which you pick a suit and fight and upgrade that suit way past multi-player balance. This is single player only. In the last game it was 100 missions with different rewards for different difficulty clears.

The arcade in the beta is also co op able too, but thats only in the full game.

I also suspect that the arcade in the beta is truncated. In these games the multiple routes all lead to different bosses but it seems in this beta its one boss. The arcade mode is also supposed to play a high quality cg of the series that your suit shows up in and that is not in this beta as well.

Single player has definitely been truncated in this beta so its not entirely indicative of the full game.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
There's going to be a ton of single player content in the full game. Full Boost had a pretty large single player mode. I expect the same here, its just not in the beta.

OP
OP
donkey

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

So regarding single player stuff...

For sure! So pulling from the OT:

Yq92j18.jpg

Branch Battle (which is accessible in Open Access over the weekends):
  • Typical Arcade mode. You have 5 courses to select from. As you progress through the 8 stages, you can move through the different branches to either increase or decrease difficulty and unlock EX stages for a higher score. Some routes are just normal grunts, some are all giant bosses, etc. If you get past a certain score, you'll unlock secret bosses from the previous game.
4ogjmDU.png

5mr0EPh.jpg

Mission Mode:
  • A mode that gives you a tooooooooon of objectives from destroying 30 units within 3 minutes or beat said boss with x unit. Some missions are unit locked, some aren't. As you progress and get better scores, you'll get upgrade data that will boost your unit's performance and you can also collect figurines as well. It's really long. I think the previous home EXVS, Full Boost, had about 100+ missions? I expect the same here. But, the upgrades you make to the units only count in Mission Mode and do not apply to others. I think it took me about 10+ hours to complete it, but as a series veteran, that's probably on the faster end of time completion.
You also get GP when you complete matches in any mode. You can use the GP to customize your navis, HUD and player title as well.

hYCxGLZ.jpg
4a9Stp4.jpg

And here's a timestamp of the vid that summarizes what I mentioned:

Hope that helps for single player stuff!

Like I mentioned above I think it took me around 10+ hours to complete it Mission Mode, but as a series veteran, that's probably on the faster end of time completion. I didn't even collect all the figurines, attempting to S rank, leveling up all the units and everything else that it had. For SP stuff, it's MBON should be pretty solid. You just won't really see it in open access.

Oct 27, 2017
So regarding single player stuff...

Like I mentioned above I think it took me around 10+ hours to complete it Mission Mode, but as a series veteran, that's probably on the faster end of time completion. I didn't even collect all the figurines, attempting to S rank, leveling up all the units and everything else that it had. For SP stuff, it's MBON should be pretty solid. You just won't really see it in open access.

Thanks for the clarification! Still kind of feels like a lot of it is to teach yourself the basics to go online though, kind of wish it had content like, "re-enacting a scene from an anime" story mode, or something like that.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Are the Navis in the open access all of them? I wish there were more characters.

OP
OP
donkey

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Thanks for the clarification! Still kind of feels like a lot of it is to teach yourself the basics to go online though, kind of wish it had content like, "re-enacting a scene from an anime" story mode, or something like that.
Mission mode has stuff exactly like that, in fact, both tutorials (albeit small) and missions that replicate some of the more famous scenes from the shows. ^^

Are the Navis in the open access all of them? I wish there were more characters.

Dunno. I believe there are some that haven't shown up yet from the arcades. If not, DLC... xD

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Looks like the mission mode is akin to dissidia duodecim 012's story mode..

In fact, this is like dissidia but Gundam (yes, I know the Gundam extreme versus games goes way back in the arcade)

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how to go into flight mode. I think it's boost and then dash? But sometimes when I do that the suit just dashes and other times it transforms. It feels inconsistent.

larryfox

Apr 27, 2020
Is there a good reason why we still don't have a AAA Gundam game, especially with the advent of VR??

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
all i can find on the ps store on my console is the preorder, and using the web store link in the OP doesn't seem to be adding this to my cart on console. any ideas?

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
all i can find on the ps store on my console is the preorder, and using the web store link in the OP doesn't seem to be adding this to my cart on console. any ideas?
Had the same issue. I got it to work by downloading it via the PSN store on a browser.
Edit: Double post, sorry.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite things about this game is the enormous difference in performance among different cost units. It's not just a better moveset, it's more speed, more boost, everything. High cost suits feel so buttery smooth and responsive. It makes me recall those moments in the anime where a cha after goes from from a shitty grunt suit to a Gundam or something similar. It captures that feeling really well.

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
i got it figured out, thanks guys.

whether or not i'll ever be able to learn or be decent at this game is another question entirely.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Once anyone is within melee range, mostly Lupus or Bael, I'm dead. How the hell do you deal with these guys? Bael zips towards me in a flash and blows me up.

OP
OP
donkey

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
i got it figured out, thanks guys.

whether or not i'll ever be able to learn or be decent at this game is another question entirely.
Yeah, just take your time. Putz around in Single Player to somewhat get the hang of the game, watch some tutorial vids as well.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Once anyone is within melee range, mostly Lupus or Bael, I'm dead. How the hell do you deal with these guys? Bael zips towards me in a flash and blows me up.
Starting out, a lot of melee players approach in a super linear fashion so take advantage of that. Use the block mechanic if you aren't already, it can give you free punishes. Use the step mechanic to try and dodge around for a quick 4/6B if your suit has a good string, an save attacks that instadown. Some quick examples are Strike Noir's AB, F91's AB, etc. You can pop these as they are rushing in to get them off and retreat.

Also look for other less obvious moves to use unique to your suits. Not sure who you're using, but some suits have moves that move them vertically up then down: these are REALLY strong for whiff punishing melee attacks. Turn A, Gottrlatan, and Crossbone X-3 can all use their 2B to hop over attacks to whiff punish with a melee combo of their own. Deathscythe can do boost dash melee to fly over attacks for a stun, X1 and Gold Sumo have strong horizontal whips to lock melee approaches out. Some suits can use melee counters, etc. These are all really good and force melee opponents to be less aggressive so you can play your game.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
I played a little today and kinda didn't know what I was doing, despite having played the arcade at GDQ earlier this year. I'm gonna try again with my HRAP4 and actually looking at the tutorial in the OP next time.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Starting out, a lot of melee players approach in a super linear fashion so take advantage of that. Use the block mechanic if you aren't already, it can give you free punishes. Use the step mechanic to try and dodge around for a quick 4/6B if your suit has a good string, an save attacks that instadown. Some quick examples are Strike Noir's AB, F91's AB, etc. You can pop these as they are rushing in to get them off and retreat.

Also look for other less obvious moves to use unique to your suits. Not sure who you're using, but some suits have moves that move them vertically up then down: these are REALLY strong for whiff punishing melee attacks. Turn A, Gottrlatan, and Crossbone X-3 can all use their 2B to hop over attacks to whiff punish with a melee combo of their own. Deathscythe can do boost dash melee to fly over attacks for a stun, X1 and Gold Sumo have strong horizontal whips to lock melee approaches out. Some suits can use melee counters, etc. These are all really good and force melee opponents to be less aggressive so you can play your game.
I was using Gundam MK II. The most I did was try to fly straight up but it didn't work some of the time. I think super mode's AB can knock Bael out of its hyper armor shield thing but I'm not sure. I always forgot to dash too. I'm kind of afraid of losing boost or timing it wrong. I feel like I'm general I get hit a lot more than I hit other people even when dog fighting. Should I be doing that fuwa step thing like all the time while dog fighting?

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I was using Gundam MK II. The most I did was try to fly straight up but it didn't work some of the time. I think super mode's AB can knock Bael out of its hyper armor shield thing but I'm not sure. I always forgot to dash too. I'm kind of afraid of losing boost or timing it wrong. I feel like I'm general I get hit a lot more than I hit other people even when dog fighting. Should I be doing that fuwa step thing like all the time while dog fighting?
fuwastep and fuwafuwa are really just tools to vary up your movement and keep your opponents guessing as to when you'll land and when they can actually punish. They're more useful for ranged fights instead of dealing with a melee suit like Bael, Epyon, Master, etc. so they aren't a big factor in your case. Boost hopping should be your main way of moving around, so focus on that first and incorporate the others when you feel more natural with it.

If you're worried about losing boost, just relax on what you're doing. You don't always need to dump resources and mash boost dash each cycle. Dumping everything and overheating a lot just makes things very predictable and easy to punish. Just boost hopping and pressing nothing is perfectly fine in neutral. That will help with boost management which leaves you more free to do other things in a pinch.

As for not hitting people as often as you get hit: try to only shoot when someone lands, stalls from attacking, or is at a bad angle. Force them into bad angles with positioning between you and your partner, or your suit's secondary attacks (like assists or funnels). This will help your accuracy a lot.

I don't play Mk II, but I'd recommend Crossbone X-1 Kai for you. It's one of the first suits I started with in the older games and has a lot of excellent tools and is great for beginners and scales very well with experience IMO. Plus it's incredibly good in MBON, and can work with pretty much any suit from my experience, which is very useful if you don't have a dedicated partner online. If you have a strong front, you can follow them for support. If you have a strong back suit, you can play front and overwhelm enemies with close range attacks. It also has very strong anti-melee tools and an anti-beam mantle which makes for a great set of training wheels.

OP
OP
donkey

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
fuwastep and fuwafuwa are really just tools to vary up your movement and keep your opponents guessing as to when you'll land and when they can actually punish. They're more useful for ranged fights instead of dealing with a melee suit like Bael, Epyon, Master, etc. so they aren't a big factor in your case. Boost hopping should be your main way of moving around, so focus on that first and incorporate the others when you feel more natural with it.

If you're worried about losing boost, just relax on what you're doing. You don't always need to dump resources and mash boost dash each cycle. Dumping everything and overheating a lot just makes things very predictable and easy to punish. Just boost hopping and pressing nothing is perfectly fine in neutral. That will help with boost management which leaves you more free to do other things in a pinch.

As for not hitting people as often as you get hit: try to only shoot when someone lands, stalls from attacking, or is at a bad angle. Force them into bad angles with positioning between you and your partner, or your suit's secondary attacks (like assists or funnels). This will help your accuracy a lot.

I don't play Mk II, but I'd recommend Crossbone X-1 Kai for you. It's one of the first suits I started with in the older games and has a lot of excellent tools and is great for beginners and scales very well with experience IMO. Plus it's incredibly good in MBON, and can work with pretty much any suit from my experience, which is very useful if you don't have a dedicated partner online. If you have a strong front, you can follow them for support. If you have a strong back suit, you can play front and overwhelm enemies with close range attacks. It also has very strong anti-melee tools and an anti-beam mantle which makes for a great set of training wheels.
Including all that from Tyrant Rave, I'd argue to focus on supporting versus trying to go front initially. It'll help you see the game a bit more while attempting to mitigate damage on your end as much as possible. Zaku Amazing is also a really good suit for beginners and has tools to deal with melee users rushing in (2b counter) among having a nice move set. In the video below, I'm primarily playing support to my Penelope teammate and you can see I'm essentially edging the green lock/red lock border to maintain a safe-ish distance from my enemy while picking my shots as they attempt to land most of the time.

Nov 23, 2017
I've been playing Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam vs Zeta Gundam (greatest title of all time) and Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny: Earth Alliance vs ZAFT II on PS2 lately and gosh, do I miss these types of Versus games. The lock on sucks but the pacing is nice. Plus, GvZG's timeline mode is the best mode in the franchise. EvZII's story mode is nice too. I wish the Extreme Vs games added real story modes.

Nevertheless, I'll be buying this game because I love me some Gundam Vs

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
With another open beta session coming up tomorrow evening, I'm going to keep trying new suits to narrow down what I like. From last session I really enjoyed the Hambrabi, Gaia Gundam (Waltfeld), Zeydra, and Kampfer.

There were a few really weird suits that I might get back to. Age 3, Gedlav and Stargazer caught my attention but I had no idea what I was doing. I also want to master zudah's sacrifice moves too haha.

Don't get hung up on a couple suits folks, there's tons of fun to be had. It's a shame some of the cooler moves aren't explained in the games but once you get that direction + action usually does something different, it isn't too hard to work out.

OP
OP
donkey

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
With another open beta session coming up tomorrow evening, I'm going to keep trying new suits to narrow down what I like. From last session I really enjoyed the Hambrabi, Gaia Gundam (Waltfeld), Zeydra, and Kampfer.

There were a few really weird suits that I might get back to. Age 3, Gedlav and Stargazer caught my attention but I had no idea what I was doing. I also want to master zudah's sacrifice moves too haha.

Don't get hung up on a couple suits folks, there's tons of fun to be had. It's a shame some of the cooler moves aren't explained in the games but once you get that direction + action usually does something different, it isn't too hard to work out.
Minato's put out a video for AGE-3 so that should help give you some pointers on how to effectively use it. ^^

As for new suits this weekend, gonna give Nobel a go.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
So this game is gonna get a free PS5 upgrade...right? I'd hate to just play for a couple of months and then never again since I don't plan on holding on to my PS4.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
So this game is gonna get a free PS5 upgrade...right? I'd hate to just play for a couple of months and then never again since I don't plan on holding on to my PS4.

probably just be backward compatible i all most PS4 game releasing need to be able to work on PS5 now but not sure