• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
So my wife is not a big gamer, but loves playing Homescapes, a puzzle game where you also renovate houses. She's annoyed though because of the MTX make it very hard for her to progress without spending mony. Since I don't know the first thing about mobile games, I'm asking here:
Any advice on alternatives on the Google Play Store? Games with simulation aspect, renovation, makeover (she also played Project Makeover, but that also seems to be greedy). Something in the direction of The Sims, but no farming games (like Stardew Valley).

DinkyDev

Feb 5, 2021
So my wife is not a big gamer, but loves playing Homescapes, a puzzle game where you also renovate houses. She's annoyed though because of the MTX make it very hard for her to progress without spending mony. Since I don't know the first thing about mobile games, I'm asking here:
Any advice on alternatives on the Google Play Store? Games with simulation aspect, renovation, makeover (she also played Project Makeover, but that also seems to be greedy). Something in the direction of The Sims, but no farming games (like Stardew Valley).
Not quite home makeover, but maybe she'd like Pocket City? No mtx, simple version of sim city etc... nice art.

play.google.com

Pocket City - Apps on Google Play

A casual city building game. Become the mayor and create your own metropolis!

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
Don't have a suggestion for an alternative so much as a strategy. I'm close to level 5000 on Gardenscapes (by the same developer) without spending. Occasionally, I get stuck on a level for a couple of days or more. The key is a level of patience and logging in diligently every day to collect your free currency and boosts, storing those up, using your free lives to attempt the level multiple times, then after a few days blowing your boosts and currency to get past the level once you have enough stored. If she can get past her frustration and believe every level is possible without spending, then hopefully she can find peace and approach the game this way. Indeed, I'm playing the metagame of seeing whether I can "beat" the developer by getting to the "end" without monetizing, which helps give me both the will to carry on while proactively not taking shortcuts by monetizing.

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
Warhammer Odyssey is out now:
apps.apple.com

‎Warhammer: Odyssey MMORPG

‎Old school 3D MMORPG - no Autoplay. Immerse yourself in the iconic Warhammer Fantasy world. Classic MMO gameplay with measured tactical combat. Group focused play with genuine danger and challenge. A Warhammer Fantasy MMORPG like no other. Morrslieb the Chaos Moon grows large in the…

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'm trying to remember a golf game that came to mobile a while back.

I think it was a port of a SNES era game (I think) with realistic players, behind the back style (like Mario Golf).

Weirdly can't find it by searching on the app/play store, maybe it was delistes or something.

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to remember a golf game that came to mobile a while back.

I think it was a port of a SNES era game (I think) with realistic players, behind the back style (like Mario Golf).

Weirdly can't find it by searching on the app/play store, maybe it was delistes or something.
I think you're talking about Neo Turf Masters and your right, Dotemu seems to have delisted the game.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Is the iOS version of Chrono Trigger good? I seem to come across great impressions of it in the App Store reviews but then I see YouTube videos complaining about the Steam version which is based on the mobile one calling it ugly. I'm considering it, and it's nice it got controller support.

Dec 11, 2017
Is the iOS version of Chrono Trigger good? I seem to come across great impressions of it in the App Store reviews but then I see YouTube videos complaining about the Steam version which is based on the mobile one calling it ugly. I'm considering it, and it's nice it got controller support.

Keen to know about this too. Just got a Backbone controller and wouldn't mind stocking up on Square games if they support it.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017

I think it's a good port. Goes on sale every once in a while.

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
The great puzzler/platformer Chronology has been rescued from 32bit hell and is now available again on modern devices, 6 years after its latest update:
apps.apple.com

‎Chronology - Deluxe Edition

‎A platform-adventure game about time travelling, puzzle solving and a friendship between an Old Inventor and a Snail. "When Braid and LIMBO had a pretty baby" - bagogames.com Key Features: • Solve puzzle by travelling back and forth in - or freezing - time. • Characters with heart and...

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Couple of Final Fantasy VII games announced for mobile. One a battle Royale style game (surely F2P) and another called Ever Crisis that is supposed to cover all the FF VII games storylines. Sounds maybe like the FF XV pocket edition so hopefully premium.

www.ign.com

Final Fantasy 7: The First Soldier and Final Fantasy 7: Ever Crisis Announced for Mobile - IGN

Square Enix has announced Final Fantasy VII: The First Soldier, a battle royale game set in Midgar before the events of Final Fantasy 7, and Final Fantasy VII: Ever Crisis, a "chapter-structured single player game covering the whole of the FFVII timeline - including the events of the original...

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Couple of Final Fantasy VII games announced for mobile. One a battle Royale style game (surely F2P) and another called Ever Crisis that is supposed to cover all the FF VII games storylines. Sounds maybe like the FF XV pocket edition so hopefully premium.

www.ign.com

Final Fantasy 7: The First Soldier and Final Fantasy 7: Ever Crisis Announced for Mobile - IGN

Square Enix has announced Final Fantasy VII: The First Soldier, a battle royale game set in Midgar before the events of Final Fantasy 7, and Final Fantasy VII: Ever Crisis, a "chapter-structured single player game covering the whole of the FFVII timeline - including the events of the original...
Ever Crises sounds like it could be good. I'm hoping for premium as well.

The salt in the other threads is amusing to watch in any case.

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
ICYMI: The retro 80s-themed sidescroller Huntdown is coming to mobile (again)

Awesome Platform Shooter ‘Huntdown’ Gets Announced for Mobile 5 Years After Being Announced for Mobile – TouchArcade

Navigating the world of mobile games is always tricky business. As we've talked about numerous times over the years, mobile gaming has a negative stigma in the traditional gaming space, and the timing of multiplatform releases can be integral into how well your game is received.

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm looking for a few good, short, fairly straightforward and/or easy game that I can play on the side as I work through Persona 5 Strikers. I'd like a game with a defined endpoint, for example I just finished up Embracelet. Any suggestions?

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking for a few good, short, fairly straightforward and/or easy game that I can play on the side as I work through Persona 5 Strikers. I'd like a game with a defined endpoint, for example I just finished up Embracelet. Any suggestions?
-Florence
-There is No Game: Wrong Dimension
-Tomb Toad
-Steamworld Quest
-Astrologaster
-Donut County

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Lol Jetpack Joyride 2 with the IAPs and stamina system. Nothing says uninstall faster than stamina.

February Recap
OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
February Recap

Titan Quest: Legendary Edition
100x100bb.jpg

iOS / Android

Knightin'+
100x100bb.jpg

iOS / Android

Survival Z (Apple Arcade)
100x100bb.jpg

iOS

Fury of Dracula
100x100bb.jpg

iOS / Android

Warhammer: Odyssey
100x100bb.jpg

iOS / Android

Inked
100x100bb.jpg

iOS / Android

Total Eggscape!
100x100bb.jpg

iOS / Android

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Lol Jetpack Joyride 2 with the IAPs and stamina system. Nothing says uninstall faster than stamina.
If Trials Frontier didn't have a stamina/fuel meter I genuinely think it would be one of the best mobile games ever.

When it first came out I played it on my iPad Mini and I could "cheat" the stamina system (and the long time it takes to do upgrades) by setting the clock forward a day. I played a ton of the game that way and it was pretty great until they started requiring an online connection and you couldn't use that loophole anymore.

It had a great look, ran well, and had a TON of content, but it was all ruined by the stamina gauge, the lengthy timers on upgrades, and the randomized wheel spin for getting upgrade components (requiring you to replay levels over and over to get what you needed).

I reinstalled it recently to see how it was and apparently they didn't have the game optimized for high framerate phones. The games runs at double speed on a 120hz phone, haha.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing The Room Old Sins on my android phone for a few days now and really enjoying it.

I realized that I might as well play it on my tablet (Android as well) so I installed it there but I can't get the cloud saves to work. Anybody has experience with that stuff?

My in-game profile on my phone was originally an offline profile. I tapped icon to sign in with Google on the profile page and then turned on the toggle for cloud saves. When I loaded my profile afterward it unlocked a bunch of achievements all at once which makes sense since I have already done some progress.

Now on my tablet I went straight to the Google Sign-in button and then also turned on the cloud saves option but it doesn't seem to be downloading my profile. I still only see three "New Profiles" button on the Profiles screen.

I tried signing out and back in and toggling the cloud saves button a few times on both devices but no luck.

Anybody has an idea?

Edit: nvm, I have now finished the game on my phone haha. Great game.

Last edited:

Kinan

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Damn, Warhammer Odyssey looks and plays pretty awful. Old Mythic Warhammer MMO was way better in both deparments. Maybe it gets better further in, but just could not bring myself to play it for more than 2 hours.

D_Reynholm

Mar 18, 2020
Damn, Warhammer Odyssey looks and plays pretty awful. Old Mythic Warhammer MMO was way better in both departments. Maybe it gets better further in, but just could not bring myself to play it for more than 2 hours.

I know, such a shame. I am still hoping for a "real" mobile MMO, something like GW2 with no autoplay would hook for me.

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Arcade brawler Clan N:

apps.apple.com

‎Clan N

‎Clan N is a beat'em up game which combines the classic arcades gameplay with today's modern brawlers. With a fast paced nature, you have to dodge, block and use your light, heavy and special attacks wisely to progress. With an ancient far east theme, you'll get challenged across 7 different...
play.google.com

Clan N - Apps on Google Play

Fight alone or with your friends in this arcade inspired epic brawler!

Strategy Roguelike Deckbuilding card game Tavern Rumble:

apps.apple.com

‎Tavern Rumble

‎Tavern Rumble is a Free Strategy Roguelike Deckbuilding Card Games Start your adventure with basic mercenary cards, fight your way up, get loot and strengthen your deck to fight strong Bosses along the way. Discover synergies between each cards. A card might be useless on their own, but use it...
play.google.com

Tavern Rumble: Roguelike Card - Apps on Google Play

Enjoy 30 minutes of deckbuilding in a Roguelike Card Games adventure

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Are some games on Android not crossbuy?

I bought the first The Room game on my phone but when I go to download it on my tablet it doesn't show as purchased.

I can actually see it in my purchase history in my account settings on the tablet but it still doesn't show as purchased on the store page.

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo 42, a PC/Console port by Gameclub:
apps.apple.com

‎Tokyo 42

‎Tokyo 42 is a hyper-stylish isometric open-world shooter. Framed for a murder you didn't commit, you'll delve into a world of assassins, deadly corporate intrigue and... tactical cats. Skillful shooting, bullet physics, and sneaky stealth all play a role in the ultra-colorful kinetic frenzy. Spin…

SP!NG by SMG Studios (pretty fun release this week):
apps.apple.com

‎SP!NG

‎Experience the zen and skillful world of SP!NG. With only one touch, flow through hundreds of hand-crafted levels. Unlock new themes that change the look and feel of your experience. Earn new characters and perfect levels to unlock new challenging modes. Features: * 500+ levels (and more to...

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
I've finished (100%) SP!NG, the latest Apple Arcade release by smgstudio on Apple Arcade in a weekend! That was quite good and addictive.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
I've finished (100%) SP!NG, the latest Apple Arcade release by smgstudio on Apple Arcade in a weekend! That was quite good and addictive.

Any tips on how I am supposed to get my time down to sub 20 seconds for the daily challenge when the first level of it takes at least 19 to clear in its own?

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Are some games on Android not crossbuy?

I bought the first The Room game on my phone but when I go to download it on my tablet it doesn't show as purchased.

I can actually see it in my purchase history in my account settings on the tablet but it still doesn't show as purchased on the store page.
Is it an older tablet? Some Android devices if they're an older Android version or hardware might not have an app show up if it's not compatible.

You can always try downloading and I stalling the .apk file and installing it that way to see if it works.

The Room 1 is pretty old at this point, so it would be weird if that's the case.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Is it an older tablet? Some Android devices if they're an older Android version or hardware might not have an app show up if it's not compatible.

You can always try downloading and I stalling the .apk file and installing it that way to see if it works.

The Room 1 is pretty old at this point, so it would be weird if that's the case.
Ended up fixing the issue by deleting the cache and data on my Tablet's Play Store app. When I went back in it saw it properly right away!

Voidance

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way I can get a game save off my iPad and put it on my iPhone? The game does not have iCloud saves and I'd rather not lose hours of progress restarting on my phone. I remember there were programs back in the day that allowed you to see some of the device's file structure, but I can't remember what they were called and, more importantly, if they still work.

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a way I can get a game save off my iPad and put it on my iPhone? The game does not have iCloud saves and I'd rather not lose hours of progress restarting on my phone. I remember there were programs back in the day that allowed you to see some of the device's file structure, but I can't remember what they were called and, more importantly, if they still work.

If the game doesn't support iTunes File Sharing (and most don't) you won't be able to do so I think without being jailbroken AFAIK.

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
After Tokyo 42 last week, Ancestors Legacy: Viking‪s, the historical RTS, has been ported from PC to mobile by GameClub and is now available:
apps.apple.com

‎Ancestors Legacy: Vikings

‎The sound of clashing swords and axes. The smell of burning buildings. The thrill of battle, and the glory of Valhalla. Take command of a viking army and march against your foes. Raid their resources, pillage their towns, and deal a deadly fate to any fools that raise their arms against you. In...

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
You know what, I'm gonna grab a month of gameclub just to show my appreciation for the work they are doing.

Warhammer Odyssey is out now:
apps.apple.com

‎Warhammer: Odyssey MMORPG

‎Old school 3D MMORPG - no Autoplay. Immerse yourself in the iconic Warhammer Fantasy world. Classic MMO gameplay with measured tactical combat. Group focused play with genuine danger and challenge. A Warhammer Fantasy MMORPG like no other. Morrslieb the Chaos Moon grows large in the…
neat didn't knew this existed, gonna try it now.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
After Tokyo 42 last week, Ancestors Legacy: Viking‪s, the historical RTS, has been ported from PC to mobile by GameClub and is now available:
apps.apple.com

‎Ancestors Legacy: Vikings

‎The sound of clashing swords and axes. The smell of burning buildings. The thrill of battle, and the glory of Valhalla. Take command of a viking army and march against your foes. Raid their resources, pillage their towns, and deal a deadly fate to any fools that raise their arms against you. In...

I decided to finally do the GameClub trial to check out this and the port of Tokyo 42. Ancestors seems like a good game but it's very difficult to play on an iPhone with touch controls. Biggest issue is that the screen moves around to the wrong place when clicking to move a group. I don't know. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but a similar game like Company of Heroes plays much better and more user friendly IMO.

Tokyo 42 also is a mess with touch controls. Too many tiny buttons. Unplayable for me.

There are so many PC games that would be great with touch but these weren't the best ideas to port to attract users. (Though I'm sure others may be more difficult to get the original devs on board).

Anyway, I don't like subscriptions in general. I'll just stick with Apple Arcade for now.

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
I decided to finally do the GameClub trial to check out this and the port of Tokyo 42. Ancestors seems like a good game but it's very difficult to play on an iPhone with touch controls. Biggest issue is that the screen moves around to the wrong place when clicking to move a group. I don't know. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but a similar game like Company of Heroes plays much better and more user friendly IMO.

Tokyo 42 also is a mess with touch controls. Too many tiny buttons. Unplayable for me.

There are so many PC games that would be great with touch but these weren't the best ideas to port to attract users. (Though I'm sure others may be more difficult to get the original devs on board).

Anyway, I don't like subscriptions in general. I'll just stick with Apple Arcade for now.

I absolutely agree. While I commend the effort here, these are weird titles to port as they won't really bring a lot of subscribers. But yeah, might be difficult to get more natural or higher profile titles.

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Some releases from this week:

Arcane Golf:
apps.apple.com

‎Arcane Golf

‎Arcane Golf is a miniature golf puzzle game set in a fantasy world full of dungeons, dangers, gems, and geometry. Play across 250 levels set in 4 unique courses inspired by classic adventure games. From enchanted gems that can instantly teleport the ball, to slimes that swallow it whole...
play.google.com

Arcane Golf - Apps on Google Play

Fantasy mini-golf puzzles in a world of dungeons, dangers, and geometry.

Mini DAYZ 2:
apps.apple.com

‎Mini DAYZ 2

‎A deadly virus plagues the world. Animals are running wild. People are running wilder. Civilization has collapsed and the end times are here. Only you can help humanity. Here’s how: - Meet fellow survivors and become their fearless leader - Embark on dangerous raids alone or with...

Blind Drive:
apps.apple.com

‎Blind Drive

‎Blind Drive is an audio-based, black comedy arcade action game. You’re blindfolded and going against traffic. Cars rushing past, angry drivers yelling at you. Cops on your tail. And you can’t see a thing. Can you do it? The entire game is experienced through your ears. Play as Donnie, trying...

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
Blind Drive looks certainly interesting.

Also, saucycarpdog, thanks for keeping this thread alive! Although I don't engage in it that much, I'm still very thankful for your updates and recaps!

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Blind Drive looks certainly interesting.

Also, saucycarpdog, thanks for keeping this thread alive! Although I don't engage in it that much, I'm still very thankful for your updates and recaps!
No problem, I like having a thread where mobile games can be discussed in a sane manner. ;)
Tomb Toad is on sale. Is it worth a look?
The mechanics are very simple and I'm sure some people will get bored of the game if they try to play it all in one sitting, but I liked it for what it was in short bursts.

Gonna post some more releases because I'm sitting at work bored:

Giant Dancing Plushies:
apps.apple.com

‎Giant Dancing Plushies

‎Giant Dancing Plushies is a light rhythm game rooted in the joy of simply dancing. Help your adorable peculiar music lover’s Kaiju conquer the planet... dancing! Unlock your giant plushies, upgrade them with a bunch of abilities and make them unstoppable! Play fast missions or compete in...
play.google.com

Giant Dancing Plushies - Apps on Google Play

Defeat your plushie's enemies using stomps and abilities in time with music!

Dawncaster: Deckbuilding RP‪G
apps.apple.com

‎Dawncaster: Deckbuilding RPG

‎Play as a cunning rogue, a brutal warrior, or a mysterious Seeker wielding arcane magic. Or create your own class and play as who- or whatever you want to be! Start playing today, create a unique deck with access to over 300 cards and see how far you can venture into the corrupted lands of Umbris.…

Dungeon Village 2
apps.apple.com

‎Dungeon Village 2

‎A new legend begins here! Build and manage a town in grasslands, snow fields, even in the underworld! Set up inns, weapon stores, and more to convince adventurers to come visit. Use items and equipment to power up your adventurers and help them get more gold and experience from their quests...
play.google.com

Dungeon Village 2 - Apps on Google Play

Enter a world of magic and adventure and create your own RPG-style town!

I've never been a big kairosoft fan but I played and enjoyed the first dungeon village so the sequel may be worth a look.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Giant Dancing Plushies is great. You can tell it was probably originally meant as a F2P game. But it's an addictive rhythm game where you control giant plushies that dance to the beat and have different moves to destroy stuff. Fun game!

Dawncasters looks promising but not sure how many of those deckbuilders I really need.