• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Played through on Switch, highly recommend this game. Was a pleasure to play, but don't expect any high octane action, it's a very slow paced exploratory experience.

A bit on the short side though.
played it for 30 minutes yesterday... and while I'm normally not very sensitive to framerates etc, it felt pretty rough at times. Freezing, stuttering and things like that.
That was on a 9.7" iPad Pro.

Looks beautiful though, will play more tonight.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Also played about 30 minutes of GRIS on my iPhone X. Frame rate seems buttery smooth, no freezing or other problems so must be better optimized for phones. Controls are simple so no issues there either. And does indeed look gorgeous. Great soundtrack too. So far so good!

Last edited:

campbell

Oct 27, 2017
Also played about 30 minutes of GRIS on my iPhone X. Frame rate seems buttery smooth, no freezing or other problems so must be better optimized for phones. Controls are simple so no issues there either. And does indeed look gorgeous. Great soundtrack too. So far so good!

This has been my experience throughout. Warning: It's loud.

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018

As Killercow said, yes it is possible! I was also able to connect two bluetooth controllers even for multiplayer/co-op.

Yes, but you need to use Cydia Impactor (if you want the latest version anayway) without jailbreaking your device. Keep in mind that only jailbroken devices get access to everything and performance will be limited for some cores.

This is what I did, I am not a fan of jailbroken devices, so side loading with Cydia was the route I took.

I am a big fan of retroachivements, and I like that Retroarch supports this where other emulators don't. Being able to kick back and play retro games and on the go is awesome!

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
As Killercow said, yes it is possible! I was also able to connect two bluetooth controllers even for multiplayer/co-op.

This is what I did, I am not a fan of jailbroken devices, so side loading with Cydia was the route I took.

I am a big fan of retroachivements, and I like that Retroarch supports this where other emulators don't. Being able to kick back and play retro games and on the go is awesome!

How's DS performance on the latest version?

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Played through on Switch, highly recommend this game. Was a pleasure to play, but don't expect any high octane action, it's a very slow paced exploratory experience.

A bit on the short side though.
HOLY S***

I didn't notice the name before because I usually recognize people by their avatars but it really is you!

For those not in the know, this is the original mobile gaming thread creator. Before More_Badass took the baton, Tunesmith was in charge of making the monthly mobile gaming threads on the old forum. The first of which was made back in 2012 and started this whole shebang.

EDIT: And now I see that you've been posting in this thread for over a month now. How embarrassing of me 😑

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
HOLY S***

I didn't notice the name before because I usually recognize people by their avatars but it really is you!

For those not in the know, this is the original mobile gaming thread creator. Before More_Badass took the baton, Tunesmith was in charge of making the monthly mobile gaming threads on the old forum. The first of which was made back in 2012 and started this whole shebang.

EDIT: And now I see that you've been posting in this thread for over a month now. How embarrassing of me 😑
😄one and the same. Part of me is glad I'm not handing these threads anymore, they took a lot of time! At the same time I don't play nearly enough games on mobile these days to keep up but I check out the threads now and again. I have one mainstay and that's Marvels Contest of Champions but that's about it that I play on the regular. My gaming is mostly on the Switch lately.

Props to More_Badass for keeping the show going smoothly! Dash Kappei helped out at the very beginning as well. If there's one thing I miss it's our monthly iOS game challenges, those were great 👍.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Maybe I'm blessed with a no bugs version, no clue, but my first 2 hours of Gris on iPhone X (and iPad Air) were nothing short of absolutely freaking amazing.
An audio-visual orgy (headphones are mandatory) which is also emotionally intense.
Loving it.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
OK, trying to find some real iPad games. Trying to see if not lugging my Switch everywhere is viable.

Civ VI, FTL, Invisible Inc - any other PC ports I missed?

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
OK, trying to find some real iPad games. Trying to see if not lugging my Switch everywhere is viable.

Civ VI, FTL, Invisible Inc - any other PC ports I missed?

"Real" is a weird term but for ports:

- Dungeon of the Endless
- KOTOR
- Tropico
- The Total War Series
- GRID
- Project Highrise
- Papers Please
- XCOM
- The Witness
- Inside
- Severed
- Darkest Dungeon
- Death Road to Canada
- Banner Saga series
-Talos Principle
- Don't Starve
- Bastion
- Transistor
- Journey
- Oxenfree

Soon:
- Dead Cells
- Company of Heroes

The list could go on for a couple of pages.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm blessed with a no bugs version, no clue, but my first 2 hours of Gris on iPhone X (and iPad Air) were nothing short of absolutely freaking amazing.
An audio-visual orgy (headphones are mandatory) which is also emotionally intense.
Loving it.

Yep, still smooth framerate with no audio bugs on my end too. Great game.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
"Real" is a weird term but for ports:

- Dungeon of the Endless
- KOTOR
- Tropico
- The Total War Series
- GRID
- Project Highrise
- Papers Please
- XCOM
- The Witness
- Inside
- Severed
- Darkest Dungeon
- Death Road to Canada
- Banner Saga series
-Talos Principle
- Don't Starve
- Bastion
- Transistor
- Journey
- Oxenfree

Soon:
- Dead Cells
- Company of Heroes

The list could go on for a couple of pages.

real was a bad term, i meant more "meaty" - thanks!

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Telling Lies, the spiritual sequel to Her Story by Sam Barlow, has been receiving rave reviews and it's out now on iOS. A must if you like quirky/narrative-driven games:
Nice. I had no idea this was coming. Question: how is the story presented? Like Her Story was presented on an old computer screen, which is why I was glad I played it on a computer screen (and not iOS). Is it similar this time?

datamage

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to try Kingdom: New Lands on my iPad Pro, and the performance was a bit lackluster. The scrolling was already a bit choppy and that was right at the beginning with not much going on. Anyone else experience the same? (11" 2018 iPad Pro)

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
Nice. I had no idea this was coming. Question: how is the story presented? Like Her Story was presented on an old computer screen, which is why I was glad I played it on a computer screen (and not iOS). Is it similar this time?

I think it is! Plays great on iOS though and I like that it's portable. Whatever works for you, it's a great game anyways!

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
I think it is! Plays great on iOS though and I like that it's portable. Whatever works for you, it's a great game anyways!
Hmm. That is a good point. I have a work trip this week and this might be a nice game to play evenings in the hotel... I loved Her Story even if I don't know I understood it:) Thanks

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Hmm. That is a good point. I have a work trip this week and this might be a nice game to play evenings in the hotel... I loved Her Story even if I don't know I understood it:) Thanks
How can you not understand it? She
was her own mother, sending messages from the future to prevent her granddaughter who is also her daughter from murdering herself. Obviously!

I really loved it so I'm definitely going to play Telling Lies.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I was about to post that Kingdom New Lands was right up my alley, as I'm really into games which have lots of upgrades of some sort and also visibly show the upgrades (e.g. armor, weapons, evolution, castles, ..)
But after having rolled my eyes a few dozens times as my horse kept huffing and puffing when it lost its stamina, and after having lost all my progress twice after getting jumped by two or three small enemies.. nah. I'm gonna do a few more runs, and then I'm out.

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
Ok the emulator did that thing you guys warned me about... 😕

Retroarch is the best for that! Cydia Impactor means that it's always with your (specifically created AppleID) and they've also got the best and latest updated emulators without that ads bullcrap.

I've tried the DS one that I hadn't in a while and it's finally perfect on my Pro, complete with, finally, synchronised sound.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Just completed GRIS.
If you are even slightly interested, you must buy it and play till completion (took me around 5 hours, but I miss some secrets).
Even just the ending is so good, still have goosebumps.
Absolute masterpiece, I'm so glad I waited to buy it on PC and Switch hoping it will come to iOS (flawless port btw).
If not for another game I can't talk about, would be easily my GOTY, and it's close anyway/I'm undecided (but I have more than 100 hours on the other one).

Also, it was MUCH more game than I expected reading some articles about it.
Some clever puzzles too.

Highly recommended.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if this is relevant to this thread but I am so hooked on this cellphone game called Archero. Anyone else play this?

Guys at work recommended it to me. In many ways it epitomises everything that's wrong with cynical mobile gaming monetisation but the gameplay and upgrade cycle is so addictive. Though I haven't spent a penny on it and still making good progress. I do let the ads play sometimes though.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I'm itch to looking for the best RPG action, like Diablo-style or similar to Fallout. but I don't know where to start.
-Titan Quest
-Eternium
-Battleheart Legacy
-The Greedy Cave
I don't know if this is relevant to this thread but I am so hooked on this cellphone game called Archero. Anyone else play this?

Guys at work recommended it to me. In many ways it epitomises everything that's wrong with cynical mobile gaming monetisation but the gameplay and upgrade cycle is so addictive. Though I haven't spent a penny on it and still making good progress. I do let the ads play sometimes though.
Yeah, it has a pretty fun gameplay loop but I don't stay for very long with games that have an energy mechanic.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Dash Kappei helped out at the very beginning as well. If there's one thing I miss it's our monthly iOS game challenges, those were great 👍.

I actually managed Thread 2 (which Duckroll wiped when it reached 20.000 posts, or at least I can't find it, to make "Thread 2: Part Two") Thread 3 (iirc I was banned -lol- so Flunkie posted it on my behalf) and Thread 4. We're talking 9 years ago!
Really, exciting times for mobile gaming, but the best part for me was coming up with the idea of the iOS community membership via Game Center (and Open feint, rip) and I *loved* organizing the weekly challenges and even more I loved taking part in the high-score chasing. You helped a GREAT deal with your art/photoshop skills! :)
Met so many great people thanks to those, many great devs (Skybound, PikPok/Sidhe, Rovio...) and people I'm still friends with today. I still have that TWD Volume 1 signed and by Kirkman prize that you guys wanted me to have, and I cherish it for the memories more than the item itself :)

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!