• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, I recently bought an iPad Pro and heard about Hyper Light Drifter's 120fps support, and I want to get into iOS gaming as Apple Arcade and controller support is coming up. What are the creme de la creme of iOS gaming?
Here are the best games to play on an iPad:

FTL
Device 6
Alto's Odyssey
Iron Marines
Xcom: Enemy Unknown
Civilization 6
INKS
Lara Croft GO
Warlock of Firetop Mountain
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
Warbits
Six Ages: Ride Like The Wind

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Having consoles, I'm only interested in touch controls. I only play mobile games on the go or in bed a bit before I go to sleep. I can play almost all of these ports with a controller on a big screen TV. Have no interest in dragging a controller with me elsewhere though I understand that people do and it's good to have the option.

I'm glad Rogue Legacy was $.99. It's a decent port but not optimal at all with touch controls. Battle Chasers on the other hand is perfect for touch.

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
Having consoles, I'm only interested in touch controls. I only play mobile games on the go or in bed a bit before I go to sleep. I can play almost all of these ports with a controller on a big screen TV. Have no interest in dragging a controller with me elsewhere though I understand that people do and it's good to have the option.

I'm glad Rogue Legacy was $.99. It's a decent port but not optimal at all with touch controls. Battle Chasers on the other hand is perfect for touch.

Jep, same here. Only played one generation and then deleted the game again. The touch controls didn't feel good enough. I rather continue on Xbox.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Noticed Twinfold is on sale on the Google Play store, been on my wishlist awhile (love Kenny Sun games). Who wants to write something that's gonna convince me to buy it?

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I've been looking for a good top down RPG looter for a while now, but nothing seems to be able to scratch my itch.

Tried Neon Chrome, but did nothing for me.

Tried Guild of Heroes which is kinda fun, but after a few hours I was practically forced to spend money.

Tried Arcane Quest, Rogue Wizards and Eternium, but nah.

I don't care about story and stuff. It just needs to be addictive and replayable forever (procedurally generated?). Short sessions if possible.

I saw Baldurs Gate, but it's pretty expensive. Never played it. How does it hold up nowadays and with touch controls?

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
I've been looking for a good top down RPG looter for a while now, but nothing seems to be able to scratch my itch.

Tried Neon Chrome, but did nothing for me.

Tried Guild of Heroes which is kinda fun, but after a few hours I was practically forced to spend money.

Tried Arcane Quest, Rogue Wizards and Eternium, but nah.

I don't care about story and stuff. It just needs to be addictive and replayable forever (procedurally generated?). Short sessions if possible.

I saw Baldurs Gate, but it's pretty expensive. Never played it. How does it hold up nowadays and with touch controls?

You could try Titan Quest. Got a bad rap when it first launched on iOS. But the most recent dev (it's changed hands a few times) has released a ton of updates. Game is quite stable now and also got iPhone X support.

It's also a great game, though some menus and controls are a touch on the small side on iPhone. I'd still recommend it.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
You could try Titan Quest. Got a bad rap when it first launched on iOS. But the most recent dev (it's changed hands a few times) has released a ton of updates. Game is quite stable now and also got iPhone X support.

It's also a great game, though some menus and controls are a touch on the small side on iPhone. I'd still recommend it.

Excellent tip! It's awesome.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I was just about to replay the The Room series, but for some reason the third game is only available for purchase. I can't redownload it. How come?

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
I was just about to replay the The Room series, but for some reason the third game is only available for purchase. I can't redownload it. How come?

If you're sure that you bought it with this account then go ahead and press buy. It will tell you that you already bought the game and that you can download it for free. It's a bug that happens sometimes.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
If you're sure that you bought it with this account then go ahead and press buy. It will tell you that you already bought the game and that you can download it for free. It's a bug that happens sometimes.

I am. I checked the iTunes purchase confirmation just to be sure.

What about downloading it from your purchase history?

It's not there, unlike the other games.

I bought it for my iPad back then, and I'm trying to redownload it on my iPhone. Could this be related to the issue? The game's an universal app, though..

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, I'm either REALLY rusty at Kingdom Rush Vengeance or the first of the post-game levels is just a pain in the ass.

Haven't played the game much since beating it originally, but the devs are always great about supporting their games and they've released at least two new batches of levels since then.

I've only played the first of the new fish people levels and I've only been able to get 2/3 stars in it even on casual. It just has so many bullshit moments in it, a new enemies that lunge huge distances to hit your barrack units, pretty much all of the new enemies only being weak to magic, support enemies that give shields to the already super tough enemies, and like 3/4 of the way through they throw a huge wave of flying enemies at you and spam the huge health big enemies.

I love Kingdom Rush, but playing Vengeance does make me wish they hadn't changed the way towers work. Having to switch builds constantly to try new things is a pain and half the time I dont even feel like I'm making any forward strides on a new strategy. I watched videos on YouTube for the level and most of them only use like 2 towers, one of the even managed to win on hard with ONE tower type.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone tried Card Quest: Card Combat Game? Enticing title, I know...but it kinda looks up my alley. Reviews on the app store seem positive overall.

Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
So I have to get a shoutout to an upcoming game...River Legends: A Flyfishing Adventure.

I was a beta tester for it, and I was really really impressed with the final product. It's a premium (non-IAP) fishing game coming soon that is basically a super streamlined version of something like Legend of the River King. I don't know what the cost is going to be, but I can say that it took me 3-ish hours to catch the final fish and complete all the trophy achievements.

When it drops, assuming the price is right, it may be worth checking out I'd you're a fan of qausi-RPG adventure fishing games!

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Cell 13 Pro is free on Google Play, its actually pretty good for what it is.

Edit: Witch Eye is scratching that new idea itch real bad. Learning how to control the eye is challenging but once you get the hang of braking and swiping it becomes addicting. Spritework and chiptunes are spot on, and they have a proper world map compared to other aprite games which are just lists. 9/10

Last edited:

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
I've been itching to play some GTA Vice City and owning it for iOS would be perfect since there are many issues with getting it to run on steam. I have GTA III, VC, and SA for iOS but man they are just so hard to play with touch controls :(

Does anyone have a work around? Im to impatient waiting for PS4 & X1X support. Not interested in buying a MFI controller either. I guess I have to wait?

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I've been itching to play some GTA Vice City and owning it for iOS would be perfect since there are many issues with getting it to run on steam. I have GTA III, VC, and SA for iOS but man they are just so hard to play with touch controls :(

Does anyone have a work around? Im to impatient waiting for PS4 & X1X support. Not interested in buying a MFI controller either. I guess I have to wait?

i believe the iOS13 public beta is out - you should be able to install it easily

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
Wow... this works perfect. I'm so geeked. Thanks for the idea jon bones . So easy to connect and it just works! Incredible!

what a time to be alive! Playing a PS2 hit on an iPad using a DS4. Mind blown. I wonder if it works with the official PS4 remote play app to play PS4 games with the dual shock?!

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Random note, iOS 13 has actually re-added Game Center friends management.
Now in the Settings app there's a section where you can add/remove from your friends list.

Aug 2, 2018
Llimoo Pole Fighter History - iOS

2d Fighting game

Not sure if it's Been mentioned here before but it's pretty awesome and the graphics remind me of old school street fighters. Have you ever wanted to beat down Hitler and Jesus? This game has it. There are some pretty funny bosses so I don't want to spoil it but for the simple game it is it's pretty amazing. Best thing is no annoying ads.

Not sure where the developer is from but props to him for making such an amazing looking game. Definitely deserves some downloads.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Witcheye really is something special. The controls are unique for one thing but are also really smooth. The boss battles are easily the highlight of the game, they're colorful, varied, and mechanically interesting enough for a game of this size. They harken me back to the days of MegaMan on the Game Boy.

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
Some sales:

Rebel Inc. $0.99 instead 1.99 for the first time

Immortal Rogue $1.99 instead 4.99 for the first time

Wonder Boy $3.99 instead 7.99 for the first time

See/saw $0.99 instead 2.99 for the first time

Cultist Simulator $2.99 instead 6.99 for the first time

NecroDancer AMPLIFIED $1.99 instead 4.99

Adam15

Nov 7, 2017
Tulsa
Some sales:

Rebel Inc. $0.99 instead 1.99 for the first time

Immortal Rogue $1.99 instead 4.99 for the first time

Wonder Boy $3.99 instead 7.99 for the first time

See/saw $0.99 instead 2.99 for the first time

Cultist Simulator $2.99 instead 6.99 for the first time

NecroDancer AMPLIFIED $1.99 instead 4.99
Picked up AMPLIFIED. Looking at See/saw as well.

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
With the addition of iOS 13 and controller support for PS4 and X1X controllers got me to thinking... I wonder if there will be a good way to play roms and emulators on iPad? Apologize if this isn't a good spot to ask. But playing sonic from the App Store with a dual shock was awesome. And id love to somehow expand on that with all my old games.

edit: ordered a iPad Pro so I'm stoked for it!

Last edited:

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
With the addition of iOS 13 and controller support for PS4 and X1X controllers got me to thinking... I wonder if there will be a good way to play roms and emulators on iPad? Apologize if this isn't a good spot to ask. But playing sonic from the App Store with a dual shock was awesome. And id love to somehow expand on that with all my old games.

AFAIK there are no emulators of any sort to be found in the App Store. There are some you can sideload and install with xcode I think, but I never tried that. You can also jailbreak your iOS device, but I never did that.

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017

Not directly from the App Store but the best one coming is DELTA for old Nintendo devices.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Witcheye is good, but not great. Like it starts off easy, stays there for a while, world 3 picks up, world 4 really gets going and world 5 just goes fuck it, git good or go home. Besides the skewered difficulty curve it has some great ideas that go nowhere really, and it resets depending on the theme of the world, so you the only real thing you keep in the back of your mind is how to tm control the eye. If there is any chance of a Witcheye 2:
-Some actual puzzles and actually hidden collectibles.
-Some sort of upgrades and stats for the Witcheye.
-A more cohesive world, instead of separate worlds basically being menus with window dressing.
-Actual build up and stacking of level mechanics and concepts.

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
AFAIK there are no emulators of any sort to be found in the App Store. There are some you can sideload and install with xcode I think, but I never tried that. You can also jailbreak your iOS device, but I never did that.
Not directly from the App Store but the best one coming is DELTA for old Nintendo devices.

I know not directly from the app store, but in years past it was still a pain in the ass to side load an app for emulators/roms. It would get revoked and a pain to have to keep reinstalling. After making that post I actually found the app Provenance which supports controllers and works pretty good so far! (Apparently from the makers of OpenEmu for Mac... which is awesome by the way). So far its working and was super easy to side load. I am not sure what Xcode is though, don't believe I did anything with that lol.

On a side note I have been waiting for Delta for years.... where do you read/look to see on its progress? I check on the developers twitter but haven't seen many new updates.... can't wait for it to finally be complete!

campbell

Oct 27, 2017
On a side note I have been waiting for Delta for years.... where do you read/look to see on its progress? I check on the developers twitter but haven't seen many new updates.... can't wait for it to finally be complete!

Updates are mostly provided via email, but the dev went dark recently because a build was leaked during a final round of beta testing. Seems like he's working on a better way to distribute now.

Chaos17

Oct 27, 2017
France
Sometimes I wish some mobile games were console games because they're beautiful.

astral2.jpg

Astral chronicle has really lovely 2D

tales-of-wind-audrey.jpg

Tales of Wind has detailed 3D cute environment, I wish the first Atelier game on Vita had such care.

These are the last games I discovered on the Google play store, I had a nice time with them but Langrisser still take first place in mobile games for now.

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
Updates are mostly provided via email, but the dev went dark recently because a build was leaked during a final round of beta testing. Seems like he's working on a better way to distribute now.

Is there any recent updates when the final version will be released. Doing some google searching yields me recent results/updates. Everything I find seems to be months old.

Also, sad he didnt include Genesis/Mega Drive. Seems to be strictly Nintendo. Still pumped however.