• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone here have any recommendations for Android puzzle games that can be played in short bursts and have some sort of RPG-ish progression mechanics? So for example things like Puzzle & Dragons, Clash of Heroes, or even Marvel Puzzle Quest. And ideally something that isn't just Bejeweled style match-3 (since I already know about plenty of those).

Basically looking for something I could play between long loading screens or matchmaking queues, but also during commutes or short breaks. Free, premium or gacha are all fine, but the actual gameplay does need to take at least some skill rather than just being all about stats like most gacha games are. And given the use case, the ability to pause during the game is essential, although I'd imagine most puzzle games would support this.
-You Must Build a Boat
-Card Thief
-holedown
-Dungelot Shattered Lands

Absinthe

Oct 27, 2017
I bought an iPad 2 after I saw Swords and Sorcery and played it for a couple of months before I got too busy between having work and a child. I ended up passing it down to my daughter and pretty much never touched it again.

I've been thinking recently I wanted to dip back in on iOS so yesterday I bought a 6th gen iPad ($250 feels like a steal for these!). So, in the last 7-8ish years I expect that the gaming landscape has changed entirely. I'm a bit disappointed that my favorites from that era (the Cave shooters) didn't get updated for 64 bit compatibility, but I'm excited about what else has come out since.

I know that's a huge time period but what a couple of your favorites from the last few years that I might have missed? I like pretty much all genres but am not really a fan of typical free to play / gacha mechanics. I'm also excited about controller support... I don't have anything I could use immediately but have some DS4 and Xbox controllers laying around to use when it becomes available.

Edit: found it

Last edited:

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I hope Nintendo announces when Mario Kart Tour will be launching.

I really liked the Beta outside of some light annoyances that I brought up in the Beta Feedback survey. Just a really fun game and it's great to have a pick-up and play Mario Kart right in my phone.

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Can anyone explain the IAPs in Cytus 2? It's so confusing. Like, you're buying characters but are you actually buying songs? Or do you buy songs separately? Do different characters have the same songs? Does anyone play this and have some idea what's going on?

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I finally tried out Triglav. Dude, this game is kinda legit.

It's apparently been a browser game since 2002 but the dev now supports a mobile version. It's sort of like a Lite Diablo from what I can tell, but I like how it goes for more old-school 2D graphics.

The mobile controls also do what I've always wanted these games to do, just let me tap to move and tap to attack. We're close now to having basically a Diablo I can play with one hand.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I finally tried out Triglav. Dude, this game is kinda legit.

It's apparently been a browser game since 2002 but the dev now supports a mobile version. It's sort of like a Lite Diablo from what I can tell, but I like how it goes for more old-school 2D graphics.

The mobile controls also do what I've always wanted these games to do, just let me tap to move and tap to attack. We're close now to having basically a Diablo I can play with one hand.
I keep seeing this game on my reccomend list but now your description makes me want to check it out. Thanks!

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone ever have the option to offload apps suddenly disappear? I can't do it any more and can't find a setting to get it back. Used it a lot to juggle games and apps.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Anyone ever have the option to offload apps suddenly disappear? I can't do it any more and can't find a setting to get it back. Used it a lot to juggle games and apps.

I use it from general settings, free iPhone space. Wait a bit and you should have your apps list. Select an app and you'll have the options to both delete and offload.

EDIT: Also, be sure to have free space in the immediate future. Trust me ;)

Last edited:

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
I use it from general settings, free iPhone space. Wait a bit and you should have your apps list. Select an app and you'll have the options to both delete and offload.

EDIT: Also, be sure to have free space in the immediate future. Trust me ;)

Yes, that's normally how it works but now the option is completely gone. I only have the option to delete. :(

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Weird. Latest non beta iOS version?
I just checked and it's there.m for me.

Figured it out. Had been signed out of the App Store and after I signed back in they were there.

Strange that it does that in your settings. Would think it would just prompt you for your id and password when you go to re-download it.

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
New game by the dev of 868-HACK and Imbroglio. $2.99

P1 Select by Michael Brough
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/p1-select/id1470639614
Never seen this thread before but this is the only mention of this game I could find on here.....it's so good. Just like Cinco Paus (the only other game of his I've played), everything seems completely arbitrary and random at first but you gradually realize the amount of control you have over how things go. It doesn't seem quite as deep as Cinco Paus (I was still realizing how now-obvious things in that game work months after I started playing) but it is still very, very fun. Highly recommend this one.....

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Never seen this thread before but this is the only mention of this game I could find on here.....it's so good. Just like Cinco Paus (the only other game of his I've played), everything seems completely arbitrary and random at first but you gradually realize the amount of control you have over how things go. It doesn't seem quite as deep as Cinco Paus (I was still realizing how now-obvious things in that game work months after I started playing) but it is still very, very fun. Highly recommend this one.....
Oh, yeah, this is the cool mobile game thread lol

I think I like P1 more than Cinco. Cinco has so much depth but I only like the whole item randomization concept in roguelikes like Nethack and Brogue. I much prefer his games where all the knowledge you need is provided (ie Imbroglio, 868-Hack, etc)

Two spoilery (I guess?) things about P1
- Realizing that which starting character you pick decides how you swipe through the grid, was pretty big. At first I was wondering why the selection mattered

- Still haven't figured out the purpose of killed enemies leaving glyphs on the ground. Also haven't discovered if there are other enemies or if the enemies evolve like in 868

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Oh, yeah, this is the cool mobile game thread lol

I think I like P1 more than Cinco. Cinco has so much depth but I only like the whole item randomization concept in roguelikes like Nethack and Brogue. I much prefer his games where all the knowledge you need is provided (ie Imbroglio, 868-Hack, etc)

Two spoilery (I guess?) things about P1
- Realizing that which starting character you pick decides how you swipe through the grid, was pretty big. At first I was wondering why the selection mattered

- Still haven't figured out the purpose of killed enemies leaving glyphs on the ground. Also haven't discovered if there are other enemies or if the enemies evolve like in 868
woah i'm curious what you mean by that first spoilered point....it still feels sort of arbitary to me since you don't know what the layout of the first screen will be. that first level is actually sort of annoying to me because it feels like you have a 50/50 shot of being 'safely' lined up with the enemy so you can get a midas in without taking any damage or using an extra ring right off the bat.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
After playing Sky about an hour, I'm still not quite sure what is all going on. There's definitely a Journey vibe to it, but not as impactful (which is a tall order). This seems more like a game. Though I don't understand the premium currency at all. In that I don't think I've seen anywhere to spend it? Which is fine as I'm not a fan of consumable IAP. I wish there was like a doubler, but maybe that wouldn't make sense. Who knows! I do know I somehow made friends with someone.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Not all F2P is bad, but all EA F2P is... I want the Peggle I paid for back! :)

I liked 868 Hack, but I've never been able to get into his other games.
PvZ 2 is actually an impressively reasonable F2P game now, especially compared to most current F2P games.
No gacha, no timers limiting play time, no timers to upgrade stuff (beyond zen garden which was in the original too).
Just optional premium upgrades and powers.

They've added so many new worlds since it first launched that there are dozens of new plants. So many that I don't even care about most of the old premium ones anyone.

Unfortunately based on the pictures on the Play Store for PvZ 3, it does look like a mobile F2P clusterfuck. The vertical orientation is already enough to put me off of it, but it definitely has that look like Plants will be unlocked gacha style.

There's a CHANCE it can still be a fun game, but I'm sure EA will find a way to fuck it up one way or another. Hopefully they give it as much love as PvZ 2 got (which was pretty terrible at launch too with barely any content and random key drops to progress and not many plants).

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Are there any spaceship/space opera oriented games that are actually fun? So, unlike the Star Trek games?

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
Does Wonder Boy have controller support? Can't see anything on the store page

Crazy that Thumper Pocket doesn't support controllers. I'd get a lot more use out of it if I wasn't restricted to touch controls

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think anyone mentioned it here but Battleheart Legacy is getting updated for iPhone X screens. Mika Mobile said on Twitter that they hope to roll out the update by the end of the month.

One of my all time favorite iOS games so can't wait!

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
On Android i just updated Final Fantasy 9 and it looks like they fixed some of the issues people had with the game, mainly the music not continuing after battles.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Forgotton Anne has an interesting premise, but the performance is bad (iPhone X) and the controls are worse. I couldn't even make it through the intro. It's such a pain in the ass to move around.