• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you like online MMOs?

• Yes

Votes: 429 69.6%
  • No

Votes: 64 10.4%
  • I used to (Explain)

Votes: 117 19.0%
  • No, but that may change (Explain)

Votes: 6 1.0%

• Total voters

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My gateway into MMOs was the original Guild Wars. Yes, I know, it's not a real MMO but it scratched that itch without relying on a subscription model (WOW) or being a mindless grind fest (any Korean MMO back then).

Guild Wars 2 was a good game to me but ultimately couldn't grab like it's predecessor did. I guess Guild Wars 1's world instances and playing with a party had fundamentally changed my taste. I wish there was something similar nowadays...

The latest MMO I tried was ESO which I started not because of its genre but because of the IP behind it. I will jump back once Gates of Oblivion is released since I've missed out on two expansions in the meantime.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
WoW, although I just quit

i definitely enjoying leveling, world pvp, and low level BGs than any of the max level stuff, but had a good 2 month return on there

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
I mostly play them as a single player game with the ability to drop into a group if needed. A lot of times this will happen where I'm killing mobs that others are also killing so someone sends the invite and we group up. It may lead to additional quests we group for or just drop after that one is done. And then things like dungeons where I can easily queue with other randoms to run it. The ability to drop in and out is what I enjoy and I can fully control it depending on what I want to do at any given time. Definitely much more than a glorified chatroom to me. Plus I just like seeing others out there playing with me just knowing I'm not alone, really enhances my experience.
Yeah I get that aspect of it. I know "glorified chatroom" is inflammatory but I don't mean to come off like that, I'm just butthurt. I see the value when you say "Plus I just like seeing others out there playing with me just knowing I'm not alone, really enhances my experience", but that's why I see it that way. Basically a co-op/GaaS game, like you said, but jankier and with a 3D chatroom/lobby. Again, I can see the appeal and I know it's a shitty, dickish way to describe it šŸ˜‚. I just wish there was more of a push for competitive, action MMOs with a focus on player conflict rather than co-op quests and dungeons.

To reduce it the same way I'm reducing traditional MMOs, basically I want a multiplayer shooter/fighter with a larger scale and persistence. The BR genre and GaaS are basically early versions of that, so I know what I'm looking for isn't far off. I'm just salty it's not happening sooner.

DynamicSushy

Sep 7, 2019
I like MMOs that have full controller compatibility and are not Korean. whoops, looks like only FFXIV and PSO2 fit that bill!

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I like MMO games, but I don't have much time to play and I always feel behind everyone... I would like to have a big guild in FF14 for example so there would be always someone with similar playstyle but haven't found one yet.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I just wish there was more of a push for competitive, action MMOs with a focus on player conflict rather than co-op quests and dungeons.

MMOs already try way too much to be action games. I really miss the slower games and more of a focus on pseudo-turn based stuff. You'd be hard pressed to find any modern MMO from WOW onward that isn't trying to be an action game.

Most MMO fans just don't want to PVP, either. Tons of MMOs have PVP but that's not what MMO fans want, especially because EVERY game is a PVP nowadays and there's a huge focus on competitive multi in pretty much everything, with less of a focus on co-operative multi.

Deleted member 34714

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
As a boomer EQ/daoc player and ended it WoW WOTLK expansion, I find all the newest MMOs hard to jump in. I think part of the charm back then with EQ was that the internet was somewhat new, I was playing on 56k connection with like 2MB ram vid card and loading zones took like 3 minutes in EQ but that didn't stop me because the experience of playing with so many random players was the big deal for me. Nowadays it's just expected and it's just not as immersive to be playing online with many ppl. Now it's all flooded with busy work.

Also the perks of being a raider from EQ -> WoW and doing content as they launch? Destroying Alteratac Valley as a hunter in full raid gear. Miss those days. This was before I got an Ashjre'tul from BWL raiding and I just destroyed AV with multishots after.
TClZ8Ku.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018
I remember my first MMO which was FFXI back in 2005. I had barely played multiplayer games before it so when I took my first steps in that world it almost felt like I was in a time machine. It felt so surreal to have real people running around you and it was such an awesome feeling to be mentored by high-level players who had been to the end game already. I still love the genre even though some of that early charm has worn off over the years. But it's possibly the only gaming genre where I can truly feel like I'm helping and encouraging people in a way that I choose; I just love to play the support role.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
I love them, but I'm stuck in a cycle of getting in to an MMO, playing it a whole bunch, and then feeling like I'm wasting my life away. I don't even play them a whole lot, relatively speaking, but something about MMOs in particular flips the "this is a waste of time" switch in my brain way faster than other games.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
MMOs already try way too much to be action games. I really miss the slower games and more of a focus on pseudo-turn based stuff. You'd be hard pressed to find any modern MMO from WOW onward that isn't trying to be an action game.

Most MMO fans just don't want to PVP, either. Tons of MMOs have PVP but that's not what MMO fans want, especially because EVERY game is a PVP nowadays and there's a huge focus on competitive multi in pretty much everything, with less of a focus on co-operative multi.
Yeah actually that's true. I guess I'm thinking about older MMOs, which is what you want but what I hate lmao. Modern MMOs are definitely more action-oriented but usually garbage, which is why I completely forgot about them.

It's a step in the right direction in terms of what I want though.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
I love me some MMOs. I play FFXIV and ESO on and off, want to get into SWTOR once I play KOTOR for the first time. I never really stick it out until endgame or find groups to raid with, but I always enjoy hanging out in these worlds with other people

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Yeah I get that aspect of it. I know "glorified chatroom" is inflammatory but I don't mean to come off like that, I'm just butthurt. I see the value when you say "Plus I just like seeing others out there playing with me just knowing I'm not alone, really enhances my experience", but that's why I see it that way. Basically a co-op/GaaS game, like you said, but jankier and with a 3D chatroom/lobby. Again, I can see the appeal and I know it's a shitty, dickish way to describe it šŸ˜‚. I just wish there was more of a push for competitive, action MMOs with a focus on player conflict rather than co-op quests and dungeons.

To reduce it the same way I'm reducing traditional MMOs, basically I want a multiplayer shooter/fighter with a larger scale and persistence. The BR genre and GaaS are basically early versions of that, so I know what I'm looking for isn't far off. I'm just salty it's not happening sooner.
Oh no worries, I didn't the term as inflammatory or was trying to indicate I was put off by it. I think many feel these games are like that and I can understand it depending on how they approach the game and what they want out of it.

As to the competitive/pvp stuff, my favorite moments from all these games that I played were when pvp was something you engaged in by choosing your server and then having to deal with that choice. Whether it was griefing (and in turn being griefed as well) or just mass onslaughts at opposing locations, that shit was always insanely fun. Rolling up on a town with a random group ready to go in and win or get completely demolished and then come back and try again was such an addiction. Sadly so many games changed away from this and now it's just a toggle which really reduces the 'always on guard' anxiety that was such a great motivation to be on the lookout and take parts in revenge if you got rolled on by a large group, etc.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I play some GasS games currently, but full-on MMOs I'm not into much anymore.

Final Fantasy 14, WoW, Firefall were games I spent more time with.

I've tried a bunch more like Aion, FF11, EVE Online...

I've put much more time into less traditional MMO types like Guild Wars 1 and PSO2, though.

FaffEra

Chicken Chaser
Nov 8, 2017
UK
Wasted a lot of time on Korean mmos in the mid 2000s. Some of them were good despite the f2p bs and grinding, most weren't.

Never played wow. Could never justify a subscription of any kind, never mind for just 1 gameon top of the monthly basic internet cost to my parents.

Only big mmo I played for longer than 5 hours was Guild wars 2 during its first year.

I like mmos as they let you interact with a lot of people and build your own group of people to play with. I just don't have time for games in general so I don't play mmos anymore

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I love the potential of MMO's and I'm always looking to try something out ever since WoW's moved in a direction I don't really care for.
However the genre always feels hamstrung by its core design, story telling is always gonna be slightly limited even in MMOs like FFXIV which are a master class of story telling, there are times when the MMO elements really just hamper some sequences.

Like how your character can rarely ever do anything other than draw their weapon, make a facial expression or nod. Because the devs cant prepare unique animations for each job for each cutscene, which at times makes it feel like you're more secondary than your character actually is since you never do anything in cutscenes.

It's a minor thing but it's moments like that when even the MMO's I love make me wish they weren't MMOs.

Same with a lot of live service games, destiny cant really tell its story very well because of the nature of its content release schedule so it has to do a lot of its story telling in unlockable lore books. Makes me wish that they'd at least have someone voice act the lore entries and that you could put them on in a playlist while you're chillin in orbit.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I started with Final Fantasy XI in 2003. Since then I've played most every sub-based or buy-to-play MMO that's come out. Mainly it's been between FFXI, FFXIV, WoW, and Guild Wars 2 for being actively subbed for long periods. Currently I have an FFXI sub. It's an ancient game but the horizontal gear model and endgame is so satisfying.

Real talk? The MMO market kinda sucks right now tbh. MOBAs have peeled a lot of players off. Many of the big games are not seeing much investment from their publishers. F2p model hasn't helped either. I hope we see a resurgence of MMOs at some point.

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
I've always enjoyed MMO's. First one I ever played as Asheron's Call when I got into the beta. Unfortunately couldn't play too much of full release as I was just getting into high school at the time and didn't have a job, but when I did I eventually subbed up.

From there the next I guess be PSO original, if that's much of an MMO, then FFXI for years. I tried WoW when it released for a few weeks, but ended up going back to FFXI when other friends finally got into the game, though annoying how I got left behind. Then went onto FFXIV and PSO2.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently in the "Used to" camp. I got into MMOs with Ultima Online and in it's prime that game was like magic, I had a real obsession where Outside of school and sports it was the main thing I did. The main reasons that Ultima grabbed me though are not really very common in most modern MMOs. it was a game that forced you to be social especially in the beginning because of how potentially vulnerable you were on your own and if someone killed you they could loot your corpse bare while you stood there and watched as a ghost. Funny enough it wasn't even some magic sword or piece of epic gear that people wanted, it was black dyed Sandles. The game wasn't set up as a theme park where you get on a ride do it a few times and then move on, it was a world that players made their own. I loathe griefing with a passion but it almost never bothered me in Ultima.

0vq-UuGRZ7OBLdrInsjlBRIU95HykmGPbjS7r5sSRaxATiB1fdt25v-mEDCYl6TNri-JKyRbBqcgMwLg54R6hMech7VOiTu2cQBl-EMfz9nLGPZuejwnOVZtIQdGxtP7uwalD2OX

I remember on the shard I used to play on a group of players put Orc masks on their characters, took over an NPC village and legitimately role played as a tribe of Orcs for years. Another group built up en entire town created by the players with a very popular tavern.

I can't name a modern MMO that inspires that kind ofplay style. There are still some good ones like FFXIV but one of the most common question I see asked when a new MMO comes out is "how much of the game can I solo?", it kind of misses the point of the genre in my opinion.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no worries, I didn't the term as inflammatory or was trying to indicate I was put off by it. I think many feel these games are like that and I can understand it depending on how they approach the game and what they want out of it.

As to the competitive/pvp stuff, my favorite moments from all these games that I played were when pvp was something you engaged in by choosing your server and then having to deal with that choice. Whether it was griefing (and in turn being griefed as well) or just mass onslaughts at opposing locations, that shit was always insanely fun. Rolling up on a town with a random group ready to go in and win or get completely demolished and then come back and try again was such an addiction. Sadly so many games changed away from this and now it's just a toggle which really reduces the 'always on guard' anxiety that was such a great motivation to be on the lookout and take parts in revenge if you got rolled on by a large group, etc.
Ah cool. Feel free to be put off though, it's a poor way to describe it, ha.

What you're describing is actually exactly what I want in terms of PvP. Though combat in those games are usually tab-targeted/turn-based from what I've seen, unless I'm looking in the wrong places. Then MMOs started getting action combat but adopted toggle PvP or instanced arena fights. I can never win.

There have been some MMOs that had what I want, but they didn't survive long.

edit: I've been aware of AoC for a while now and it seems like it ticks most, if not all, of my boxes. I haven't been following it closely though. It would be nice if it delivers on what I think it's promising.

Last edited:

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
I'm currently in the "Used to" camp. I got into MMOs with Ultima Online and in it's prime that game was like magic, I had a real obsession where Outside of school and sports it was the main thing I did. The main reasons that Ultima grabbed me though are not really very common in most modern MMOs. it was a game that forced you to be social especially in the beginning because of how potentially vulnerable you were on your own and if someone killed you they could loot your corpse bare while you stood there and watched as a ghost. Funny enough it wasn't even some magic sword or piece of epic gear that people wanted, it was black dyed Sandles. The game wasn't set up as a theme park where you get on a ride do it a few times and then move on, it was a world that players made their own. I loathe griefing with a passion but it almost never bothered me in Ultima.

0vq-UuGRZ7OBLdrInsjlBRIU95HykmGPbjS7r5sSRaxATiB1fdt25v-mEDCYl6TNri-JKyRbBqcgMwLg54R6hMech7VOiTu2cQBl-EMfz9nLGPZuejwnOVZtIQdGxtP7uwalD2OX

I remember on the shard I used to play on a group of players put Orc masks on their characters, took over an NPC village and legitimately role played as a tribe of Orcs for years. Another group built up en entire town created by the players with a very popular tavern.

I can't name a modern MMO that inspires that kind ofplay style. There are still some good ones like FFXIV but one of the most common question I see asked when a new MMO comes out is "how much of the game can I solo?", it kind of misses the point of the genre in my opinion.

UO was one of the games I really wanted to get a chance to play when I was younger, but didn't. I remember reading on it, and the chaotic world was alluring. It's something I enjoyed originally with Asheron's Call, and even to a lesser extend FFXI which was more limited in what you could do, that game still had the sense of danger to it.

I love FFXIV and it's a great game, but I really do yearn for a true sandbox style MMO that's more player driven in the world.

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
I played a ton of Asheron's Call, shadowbane, Wow, and both guild wars.

I don't have a computer anymore just a series X, I was looking at jumping into Tera again after who knows how many years.
I love gaming for the social aspect and MMO fill that need and plenty of content to keep the group interested. Also the PvP, battlegrounds have always been addicting. Not al my friends can/like warzone or more action based games and battlegrounds seems to be a happy middle spot for everyone.

Anyone been on Tera's console version lately?

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Our WoW Classic guild that is somewhere between a casual mom/dad guild and a sweaty tryhard guild just cleared the Naxxramas raid and so essentially "beat" WoW Classic. It's been a fun ride and they are a good group of people, and as such made me happy looking back that I started playing it over a year ago in the first place.

You can't get that feeling often outside of MMOs. I look forward to The Burning Crusade Classic.

Iadien

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently playing ESO and WoW.

upcoming MMOs I'm interested in

AoC
EverQuest 3 (if it's actually happening)
Lost Ark
Mad World
New World
Pantheon

never

Oct 28, 2017
I loved Wow in Burning crusade and Wrath, but most of that love came from a sense of community and being into playing battlegrounds. However group PVP in WoW never evolved into anything meaningful and it's only degraded over time. I think MOBAs have largely replaced that sense of fun team based PVP for me and everytime I try to go back to WoW and enjoy battlegrounds it's just not fun at all. Gear discrepancies just make it unplayable.

I'm still looking for an MMO to give me a new experience, but most MMOs seem content just riffing off the same old ideas instead of doing new things.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I used to play Runescape and some Korean MMOs. They weren't very fun, it's just that they were free, there was a social component, and there was a progression system I could waste time in feeling good about making numbers go up. I've since moved on to grindy games that are actually fun to play, like Monster Hunter, and getting the social fix from communities around the game.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Currently playing FFXIV and my god this game is incredible. The story, the characters, the MUSIC?! Whew! Only other MMO that could have me hooked for months on end was WoW, and I have completely dropped it for this. Love the combat, the visuals, and hell the boss fights in the raids and trials are AWESOME.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I do, but currently not playing any. I played ESO on PC since beta but I haven't played it much this past year. Maybe I'll get back into it eventually.

I used to be really hardcore back in the early-mid 2000's with niche MMO's like Neocron and Matrix Online, and some bigger ones like Ragnarok Online and SWG.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I do/used to. These days I just don't have the time to play anymore but I've met some great friends throughout the years and even my partner in FF14.

I guess I'll definitely resub for the next FF14 expansion tho

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
UO was one of the games I really wanted to get a chance to play when I was younger, but didn't. I remember reading on it, and the chaotic world was alluring. It's something I enjoyed originally with Asheron's Call, and even to a lesser extend FFXI which was more limited in what you could do, that game still had the sense of danger to it.

I love FFXIV and it's a great game, but I really do yearn for a true sandbox style MMO that's more player driven in the world.

Currently I think the closest that is still running would be Eve Online, but how serious people seem to take that game is on another level from all the stories I've ever read about it.

Qrusher14242

Oct 29, 2017
Currently playing Guild Wars 2 and ESO. Tried out WoW few years ago and gave it about 60 hrs but got bored of it. Was hard to justify the sub for me.
Have played FFXIV a lot but stopped a few months ago. Really liked it but another with a sub and i just didnt have the time to devote to it.

Just played SWTOR for a few months but taking a break. Also play LOTRO off and on. If i have $$ to spend, usually will sub to FFXIV once and a while.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Back when I was a teenager, I used to play many MMORPGs. Many of them F2P because we couldn't buy many games. Runescape is the one I remember the most. Hell, $5 per month to have the entire world unlocked was a steal. Couldn't get to play Ragnarok Online, another game that was popular in my school. A friend introduced me a private server, but a few days later it died.

In 2008 I started playing WoW, first in private servers and then official ones. That time... is a dark stain for me. Got addicted. Quite addicted. Almost failed my school year because of that. Woke up early just to do those damn dailies in Quel'Danas and daily heroic too. After school, I turned on the PC just to play Wow. Study? No sir, WoW was more important. Do homeworks? Let's just do the minimum and then continue playing the game. In early 2009 I sold my account and used that money to buy a PS3.

These days I still play some MMORPGs ocassionaly... Mostly FFXIV, but I returned to WoW now that Shadowlands was released. So far enjoying it, but since my backlog is so big, I'm only dedicating an hour or two per day.

I have tried to return to Runescape, but man, the game overwhelms me. So much content and I don't have the slightest idea what to do. Tried to grind Construction, but it bored me to death.

FF14 currently. Probably gonna try WoW when I cap out on stuff to do in FF. Nothing beats FF14 in story beats and music though. It's on another level and every new boss is extreme hype.
True words. Whenever I play WoW, I start playing the FFXIV soundtracks in Spotify. As for the story, what the hell am I doing? Regardless, levelling Ret Paladin is fun.

Hrothgar

Nov 6, 2017
I used to, but I haven't been mesmerized by MMOs for a few years. The last one I played seriously was probably ESO. I have been missing any real innovation in the genre since 2010ish. Had some hopes for the new Everquest with the base building mechanice, but yeah.. that turned out differently.

Over the years I played Runescape, Guild Wars (fantastic), EVE, WoW (wasn't a fan), Lord of the Rings Online (fantastic, played it for god knows how many years), Tabula Rasa, Vanguard, Age of Conan (beautiful world), Pirates of the Burning Sea, Warhammer Online (great world design, some good ideas), Star Trek Online, Rift (great classes and public quests/events), SWTOR (way too derivative), Guild Wars 2 (Great, but still salty about the ditching of the combo classes from GW), ESO (fun, but felt like a single-player game with other people around). So basically every big western MMO released between 2005 and 2012.

Last edited:

Stormbrewer

Oct 25, 2017
I easily get caught up in MMOs and quasi MMOs (e.g.: Xenoblade X), but while I enjoy them, they're a real time sink, so I limit how many I play to a large extent.

Latest and only currently ongoing one is FFXIV, which I'm adoring in large part since it really allows for a ton of content if you look for it, but you can still invest less time and have a good time if you're busy.

Fairly certain I'm not going to pick up any others any time soon, but I do like reading about stories and impressions from people about their MMO experiences.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I think Guild Wars 2 was the pinnacle for me but sadly Anet fucked it up badly with their indecisive and constantly shifting design management. I finished shadowbringers this year but I was never as excited or attached to the genre as when GW2 launched, up until I quit before PoF released.

Also it's a shame how Anet squandered the potential of World vs World. It's one of the most experiencesI've had not only in MMOs but in any genre and some of the most funI had in any game.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I love MMOs. Hardcore WoW streamer Kargoz put together an army of level 1 hunters and are raiding world bosses and elites for charity

Already killed sonmus lol

Maxflier

Nov 22, 2017
Louisiana
I like them but stay away nowadays because of how caught up you can get in them.
I played Anarchy Online back in 2002'ish and not kidding it was the best time of my life. Couldn't wait to get back online to raid and hangout with my org/guild mates. The game was so alive in the first few years. There were even groups dedicated to running parties and entertainment in the games nightclubs.
So many people I met and lost touch with in there that I wonder what they are up to now.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I like MMOs quite a bit. Used to play several back in the day. I currently play FFXIV a lot, it's my favorite game of all time. I'm currently playing PSO2 as well, if that counts

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
Currently I think the closest that is still running would be Eve Online, but how serious people seem to take that game is on another level from all the stories I've ever read about it.

I've tried to dabble my hand into EVE Online a couple times. If any of my buddies actually played as well, might be easier to really get into, but the game is.. a lot.

I admire EVE and the world they made. Having one singular instance of the game is something I wish others were able to do.

Corsick

Oct 27, 2017
I've realized I've become far too casual and bored of mmos. I want to like them, but even the newest wow expansion didn't stoke my interest after playing for a few weeks. I'm definitely having a motivation issue with games recently, it's kind of sad haha.

Last edited:

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Currently still playing Guild Wars 2. I got into PSO2 pretty big this year and I'm looking forward to New Genesis. I bounced off of FFXIV early. I wish I had time to get into ESO. Looking ahead to Ashes of Creation and New World. I probably would be into WoW if I was older when it released.

Oct 25, 2017
I used to be really into Tibia and Mu Online. Also played some others and had a lot of fun, but these two were the ones I came back to all the time.

At some point I just stopped playing them, and never had another MMO click with me, and my ever growing library of offline games gives me even less reasons to try to look for one.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I've really wanted to get in to an MMO for years but since I also want it to have compelling real time action combat, there have been very few that I've been able to get in to. Actually PSO and to a lesser extent PSU have been the only ones really. I did get in to Tera for a while but got tired of the structure (loved the combat though) and something about Black Desert doesn't feel right to me and I dropped off that real early. I did enjoy Warframe also for a decent while but I got lost and overwhelmed around the midgame. Right now my hopes are pinned pretty high to PSO2: New Genesis but I'm trying not going to get my hopes up too high.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
FFXIV is my main one. Been unsubbed for a bit while playing other games, but hoping to get back into it perhaps later this month to check out the recent big patch that came out. I got into it about 3 years ago and since then its probably become my most played game of all time. I just have a great time going through the story (both the main story and some of the side stuff), leveling alternate jobs, and probably my favorite thing beyond that is glamour hunting (AKA transmog) to find cool new outfits to wear as my character. I think one of the coolest things about the game is having a persistent character that you can do just about all the content with (in terms of being able to level all classes/jobs as one character), and I really like coming back to the game over the years playing the same character. Makes the experience feel more personal to me.

I also started playing SWTOR earlier this year after it hit Steam, though honestly I almost forget at times it's an MMO since I've played it almost exclusively as a single player game. I recently finished up my first class story (Imperial Agent, which I really enjoyed) and currently trying to wrap up some more of the base game storylines before I take a break from it. While I'm not the biggest fan of it's combat, there is still a lot I enjoy from it, from the storytelling and the presentation (love the voiced protagonist and all the voice acting in general). I do look forward to checking out another class story and some of the expansions at some point. One thing I like about its F2P model is it's easy to jump in and out from it, without needing to commit to paying for a month of subscription time.

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
Let's see...

Used to play the hell out of the technically free if you're willing to grind a lot korean F2P MMOs back in the day, A lot of them blur together excluding the obvious example of Maple Story, though I do recall doing a racing MMO at one point. Drift something?

Then Guild Wars 1 was like, my first paid MMO I played since it was the one you could pay for without needing a sub, didn't get too into it though.

I do remember playing a bit of WoW but I don't really remember much about it. Then I did Star Trek Online for a bit as well. Got farther into this one but I think I dropped out by the time they started doing the Iconian arc.

First MMO I really got into would be SWTOR a few years after it went F2P. Did the Sith Warrior and Trooper storylines. Always been meaning to get back to it at some point since Star Wars games in general is what got me into gaming, so I got a soft spot for it.

Tried out the FFXIV trial around this time period, bounced out of it at the time.

Then I played base Guild Wars 2 for a bit since it was something my friends were playing at the time. I enjoyed it early on but I felled out of it once I got close to the level cap since I remember not liking going through combat at that point.

Finally, when the 5.3 update for FFXIV hit, my friends who by then really gotten into it convinced me to give it another shot.

Around 30 days of gametime later and it ended up being the MMO where I got into it enough that I got over my usual reluctance with doing a game's (originally designed as) endgame content. Makes me want to go back to a couple games I've played before and see what I was missing out by avoiding that kind of thing before.

Wegelius

Nov 27, 2017
I played a shit of ton of FFXIV two months ago, I got to Stormblood and burned out. I haven't touched it since but it's a really good game. I'll get back to it eventually.