• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Don't know what it is at the moment but I'm not getting a good feeling for izzy with this lead up. At least the fight is tomorrow.

I can see Weili smashing Joanna, can't wait.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
man, such a great moment with izzy crying on the latest embedded (ep6) reflecting on his rise, dude is not afraid of anything.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I would like to see Romero wrestle, but he'll probably stick to his strategy of either getting a viscous KO or losing a decision.

Banglish

Banned
Dec 16, 2017
man, such a great moment with izzy crying on the latest embedded (ep6) reflecting on his rise, dude is not afraid of anything.

This is why I wanna see him win. Going straight for the riskiest fight, and just being himself even if he does make people cringe.

Just Bleed fuckboys need to watch the Invicta main event from last night.

I don't think I've ever see a canvas with that much blood on it. Absolute madness!

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017

GrubChub

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, I guess Izzy really is the new Silva. If you don't bum rush him, he doesn't do a whole lot.

I still say Romero won that fight. Izzy wasn't close to ending it, but Yoel was, but that is the story of Yoel.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Okay. I was wrong. Congrats to Izzy and his team for figuring out their opponent's fighting style and strategy. He's going to be champ for a while.

Zhang is just a beast. God. Damn.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yoel in the post-fight press conference said Izzy was good at running because "his ancestors from Africa were great runners"

what the fuck

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Talking all that shit and then just leg-kicks for 5 rounds. Then talks more shit after the fight.

Atleast Weili vs Joanna was amazing, I think Joanna won it though. Hope we get a rematch.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I guess Izzy really is the new Silva. If you don't bum rush him, he doesn't do a whole lot.

I still say Romero won that fight. Izzy wasn't close to ending it, but Yoel was, but that is the story of Yoel.
And yet Romero did even less.

It's the same thing with Anderson's boring fights - the losers of those fights deserved just as much blame for it being boring. But in the end, it's not about being exciting, it's about winning the fight (and if you're smart, getting as little brain damage as possible in the process).

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I wouldn't put all the blame on Izzy, it's not like Romero was fighting his heart out, he exploded like three times.

And Izzy stopped every takedown attempt, and he moved away just like he should, what was he supposed to do? Back in to the cage and let Romero knock him out?

burialsociety

Feb 7, 2018
Adesanya and Romero are capable of totally wrecking dudes but that ability is entirely predicated on exploiting defensive holes. Romero doesn't get nearly enough credit for being a highly skilled defensive fighter and his defence was fantastic yesterday. He provided Adesanya with no offensive approaches apart from leg kicks, so that's the approach Adesanya took. And because Adesanya was content to sit at range throwing leg kicks, Romero's offense was neutralised. It is what it is for both guys.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
I can tell you what both guys were thinking.

Adesanya: I'll wait for Romero to come in.
Romero: I'll wait for Izzy to come in.

Both their styles rely on this. At the end of the second Izzy realised that Romero wasn't playing so he started the leg shots to provoke Romero. Izzy definitely wasn't thinking that Romero was going to do the same for all 5 rounds but he did. Izzy adjusted his game to suit, Romero only really started to bite on the leg kicks late and Izzy isn't going to swang and bang with Romero after being taken out of position due to Romero's counters. If he was allowed to reset naturally after coming in, maybe, but it isn't worth risking that against Romero and he didn't. Especially given he got caught in the first.

Costa fight will be the one we want. He'll either be put away cleanly like Whittaker or he'll bring the war and we'll see another Izzy v. Gastelum IMO.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Adesanya was the one to ko romero in a convincing way but he fought like in the safest way possible compared to bobby or costa, what a scared clown he was last night lol.

People boooing him was cathartic to see, this guy lost a shitload of fan after all the shit talking and a shitty fight like that.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Yeah I wouldn't put all the blame on Izzy, it's not like Romero was fighting his heart out, he exploded like three times.

And Izzy stopped every takedown attempt, and he moved away just like he should, what was he supposed to do? Back in to the cage and let Romero knock him out?
It's both men fault of course, but all the world know romero style so why expecting a change at almost 43? and was adesanya the one who started the "i'm gonna ko you convincingly" or "all people are scared of this guy, i'm not" shit talk, and then he fought like a little bitch (the smart way lol) compared to costa or bobby or really any othet opponent romero had...

Oct 27, 2017
It's both men fault of course, but all the world know romero style so why expecting a change at almost 43? and was adesanya the one who started the "i'm gonna ko you convincingly" or "all people are scared of this guy, i'm not" shit talk, and then he fought like a little bitch (the smart way lol) compared to costa or bobby or really any othet opponent romero had...

Romeros defence was too good, and to be honest I understand why Izzy fought like he did. I know he talked alot of shit before the fight but that's just what it is, shit talk before the fight. Everybody is afraid of Romero in the ring, if he just started using his wrestling more he would have the belt.

I think the punch Romero hit Izzy with in the first round scared Izzy when he felt the power Romero has. But it was a shit fight either way.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Romeros defence was too good, and to be honest I understand why Izzy fought like he did. I know he talked alot of shit before the fight but that's just what it is, shit talk before the fight. Everybody is afraid of Romero in the ring, if he just started using his wrestling more he would have the belt.

I think the punch Romero hit Izzy with in the first round scared Izzy when he felt the power Romero has. But it was a shit fight either way.
Yeah that first punch set the tone for the fight, maybe next time avoid talking shit when you can back up you words.

Also you say that everyone is scared of romero, but watch the last fights against bobby and costa, does these 2 looked scared to you? Surely they were less scared than cringebender, that's for sure.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that first punch set the tone for the fight, maybe next time avoid talking shit when you can back up you words.

Also you say that everyone is scared of romero, but watch the last fights against bobby and costa, does these 2 looked scared to you? Surely they were less scared than cringebender, that's for sure.

Every fighter talks shit, doesn't matter if they can back it up or not. And I think Izzy thought he would knock Romero out. He couldn't back it up but it happens.

Costa and Bobby are different fighters than Izzy, and we'll se how Costa vs Israel goes.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Every fighter talks shit, doesn't matter if they can back it up or not. And I think Izzy thought he would knock Romero out. He couldn't back it up but it happens.

Costa and Bobby are different fighters than Izzy, and we'll se how Costa vs Israel goes.

Lol not they don't, a lot of fighters are very chill before the fight.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Romero's had issues coasting in his last few fights, and Izzy is always looking to counter strike. Disappointing for sure, but its happened before. It's on Romero to push the pace as the challenger

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Damn Joanna looked mangled after that fight. That was wild. I thought they'd make it a draw.

Romero and Adesanya fought in the spirit realm for half the fight.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My mind is still blown by that women's fight. One of the best MMA fights I've seen, just great stuff. Joanna showed a lot of heart.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Most of them do, I maybe should have said all the big draws talk shit. They need to sell PPVs.
if you mean shitheads like conor yeah you are right, but a shitload of great fighters never talk shit pre-fight, or they keep to a minimum.

Cringebender always talk shit even against people who really don't deserve that like bobby or romero, i'm glad this times fires back at him, you don't call pussies the other fighters who fought romero and then run and avoid confrontation for 25 min...
The first counter romero throw in that fight was enough to scare him to death lol.

Oct 27, 2017
if you mean shitheads like conor yeah you are right, but a shitload of great fighters never talk shit pre-fight, or they keep to a minimum.

Cringebender always talk shit even against people who really don't deserve that like bobby or romero, i'm glad this times fires back at him, you don't call pussies the other fighters who fought romero and then run and avoid confrontation for 25 min...
The first counter romero throw in that fight was enough to scare him to death lol.

Izzy didn't avoid confrontation, he engaged Romero and outstruck him. I don't get the idea that he should stand infront of Romero trading with him, he would probably lose if he did that.

I agree that the fight was bad, nobody did anything and it was a huge anticlimax. But telling Izzy to stand infront of Romero is silly. Why should he play into Romeros gameplan?

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Izzy didn't avoid confrontation, he engaged Romero and outstruck him. I don't get the idea that he should stand infront of Romero trading with him, he would probably lose if he did that.

I agree that the fight was bad, nobody did anything and it was a huge anticlimax. But telling Izzy to stand infront of Romero is silly. Why should he play into Romeros gameplan?
maybe because he was the one who called out romero saying hundreds of times how he was gonna beat and ko him and talking shit about the fighter who previously fought against joel? i mean, costa and bobby both played romero's game and both won even if the verdict was controversial.

before the fight: he is gonna crumble like the twin towers
after the fight: look how damages was his leg.

i mean cmon...

izzy absolutely avoided the confrontation in this fight, romero was standing still, he didn't had the courage to stay in teh pocket and counter his punches like he did with bobby.

Last edited:

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017

now that i think about it, a hematoma has to be one of the best "injuries" you can have (not counting the brain damage i guess), you have the holy shit look at it moment which fans will eat up, but at the same time having no lasting effects and treatment is compression and ice.

ortega going after KZ's translator (a kpop star named Jay Park) after translating an interview where KZ said ortega was ducking him

gonna be fun rooting for KZ :)

Oct 27, 2017
maybe because he was the one who called out romero saying hundreds of times how he was gonna beat and ko him and talking shit about the fighter who previously fought against joel? i mean, costa and bobby both played romero's game and both won even if the verdict was controversial.

before the fight: he is gonna crumble like the twin towers
after the fight: look how damages was his leg.

i mean cmon...

izzy absolutely avoided the confrontation in this fight, romero was standing still, he didn't had the courage to stay in teh pocket and counter his punches like he did with bobby.

I don't think Israel had any intention of standing in front of Romero, yes Romero was standing still not engaging which fucked up Israels gameplan since he's looking to counter.

The difference is if he lets Romero get punches in it's going to be a short fight, he could risk that with Bobby but I doubt he could have taken Romeros strikes and stayed awake.

He fought smart and won, if he'd started brawling with Romero he would have been KOed?

And how the hell should he attack Romero who were covering up most of the fight?

So you wanted Israel to brawl with Romero? I don't get it?

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I don't think Israel had any intention of standing in front of Romero, yes Romero was standing still not engaging which fucked up Israels gameplan since he's looking to counter.

The difference is if he lets Romero get punches in it's going to be a short fight, he could risk that with Bobby but I doubt he could have taken Romeros strikes and stayed awake.

He fought smart and won, if he'd started brawling with Romero he would have been KOed?

And how the hell should he attack Romero who were covering up most of the fight?

So you wanted Israel to brawl with Romero? I don't get it?
again, i was not the one who called out romero promising a ko, you igniore this fact but it's very important, you don't call out someone talking shit about his previous opponent if you don't have the courage to even try a ko...
and romero always fight like that, have you forgot how he fought against bobby and costa? he was waiting for burst against them too, against costa was aggressive only in the third round because he was a third round fight...in a 5 round fight he knows he doesn't have stamina to follow a far more speedy opponent, he was hoping for izzy to come at him like his previous opponent who talked far less shit than him...

and izzy said multiple time after the fight during interview that he was not surprised about romero and he was expecting this when journalist ask him if he was surprised...
was is plan to only use leg kick and never engage in the pocket but still promising a ko? lol...

you say that romero wasn't punching but it's not correct, he tried to punch the rare times izzy attacked him in the pocket, izzy never exploited that and run for his life every single time, you can counter a counter if you are technical and with good defense\reflexes, but izzy was to scared to even try, rewatch the match, he was running every time romero tried something, why don't avoid his punches like he did when bobby was lunging at him in the previous fight? because he was scared of yoel power, that's why.
technical fighter always try to bait a punch to counter, but you can't do that if you are not in the danger zone.

you can defend him and accuse romero but it doesn't change the fact that he lost a lot of respect from fans last night (romero too, don't get me wrong), and rightfully so, it's called "when the shit talk goes wrong" for a reason.

Last edited:

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
jabroni-marks.png

It's a business. If he talks shit before the fight more people pay to see it and he increases his worth and his next payday. I can't fault him for doing what he had to do to keep his belt once he got in the cage.

Oct 27, 2017
you can defend him and accuse romero but it doesn't change the fact that he lost a lot of respect from fans last night (romero too, don't get me wrong), and rightfully so, it's called "when the shit talk goes wrong" for a reason.

I'm not defending anyone, I'm just saying what I saw. I think the fight sucked, Izzy could have engaged more and risked getting knocked out to back up the talk, sure. All I'm saying is that I understand why Israel fought they way he did.

The whole fight was a anticlimax and I don't doubt they lost fans. But I never lose the respect of a fighter just because they fight smart and win. The fight sucked but that happens.

The biggest mystery for me is why Joel doesn't wrestle more.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Lmao why on earth would izzy change his fighting style and adopt bobby or costa's game plans. Completely different type of fighters and completely different builds. He never stays in the pocket for more than 1-2 shots before resetting distance because standing and banging is an atrocious plan for him. He loses all of his advantages, for what?

Both their game plans started off with waiting for the other person to make mistakes. Izzy got caught for making one and realised that romero wasn't going to give him anything to work with. So he tried to force mistakes, except romero didn't do much with the leg kicks either because he couldn't. It turned into point scoring and he would have been hoping that Romero would be feeling pressure of a decision in the 4th and 5th. But it just didn't happen.

The difference between Izzy fighting bobby and izzy fighting romero is that whittaker came out swinging and did the same thing repeatedly for 1.5 rounds. Whittaker probably threw more within 10 seconds than were thrown that entire fight. That fight was constantly moving and Bobby gave izzy time to read him.

The base of izzy's shit talk relied on Romero giving him something to work with. Unfortunately Romero works the same way. And they both didn't give each other much. It was just a poor match up, everyone was expecting Romero to test izzy's wrestling and ground game but it just didn't happen.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ortega going after KZ's translator (a kpop star named Jay Park) after translating an interview where KZ said ortega was ducking him

gonna be fun rooting for KZ :)

That's such a shithead move, a fighter going after a musician. I didn't know Ortega was an asshole until this happened. Now I'll root against dude every time. Hope Korean Zombie crushes him.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I'm not defending anyone, I'm just saying what I saw. I think the fight sucked, Izzy could have engaged more and risked getting knocked out to back up the talk, sure. All I'm saying is that I understand why Israel fought they way he did.

The whole fight was a anticlimax and I don't doubt they lost fans. But I never lose the respect of a fighter just because they fight smart and win. The fight sucked but that happens.

The biggest mystery for me is why Joel doesn't wrestle more.
because he lack stamina, especially in a 25 min fight.
justin gaetjie during an interview said that striking is far less heavy on the gas tank compared to wrestling and the guy wrestle since he was 6...also the reason why gaetjie never wrestle in his fights, him and romero probably don't have great trust in their gas tank when he comes to wrestling during an mma fight.
one or 2 prolonged and failed takedowns and adios stamina tank, and he needs a reserve of stamina for his burst of aggression.

i just saw 2 video of romero dancing in the post fight press event and running on the sand the day after the fight, this was the supposed "i assure you, tomorrow he will barely walk" damaged leg, lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Syder

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Never trusted T-City since popping, was glad to see Max dismantle him, hope KZ will do the same.