• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Conan

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing official is out there and the Irish are certainly taking their time pressing charges if true. He's innocent until proven guilty.

On potential fights there are many.

1. Khabib
2. Masvidal
3. Usman
4. Diaz
5. Floyd
6. Manny
7. Justin

7 huge fights. If only the ufc could clone mcgregor. There's even more smaller ones like Aldo, Holloway and Frankie. Canelo in boxing would be huge but he'd be badly beaten. Maybe Canelo would fight him in the ufc. So many options.
Innocent until proven guilty of some of the crimes. What about the guilty pleas and the regular racist statements? He has a long track record of being a shitty human.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
im thinking this card was massive. i saw 250k~ people watching the post fight presser, and the octagon post-fight interview is sitting at 8million views after 12 hours. right in line with some of the biggest PPVs ever. didn't think there was much buzz with the lack of rivalry.

VoxPop

Oct 30, 2017
Innocent until proven guilty of some of the crimes. What about the guilty pleas and the regular racist statements? He has a long track record of being a shitty human.

Who cares? Most great fighters and nearly everyone on that list is a shitty human being. I'm paying to watch them compete/fight. Not listen to their stance on politics.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
im thinking this card was massive. i saw 250k~ people watching the post fight presser, and the octagon post-fight interview is sitting at 8million views after 12 hours. right in line with some of the biggest PPVs ever. didn't think there was much buzz with the lack of rivalry.

Dana could barely contain himself when asked about the buy rate at the post fight presser. He was gushing about how effectively ESPN promoted the fight (and he's right, it was ALL OVER their network and online presence n the week leading up, getting the full court press from them). He didn't give hard numbers but insinuated that this thing did monster numbers for them.

VoxPop

Oct 30, 2017
Dana could barely contain himself when asked about the buy rate at the post fight presser. He was gushing about how effectively ESPN promoted the fight (and he's right, it was ALL OVER their network and online presence n the week leading up, getting the full court press from them). He didn't give hard numbers but insinuated that this thing did monster numbers for them.

I think the Mayweather fight did more good than harm regarding his status as the PPV king. It elevated his standing to the casuals and I know we don't have a lot to go off of since he's only fought Khabib since then but I'd say he has a low bar of 1.5m buys now as long as the opponent has some kind of gimmick/personality.

My only gripe is that he'll be headlining these mediocre cards from now on. I understand he doesn't need a strong main card to lead in but it's a great platform to push upcoming stars, technically gifted or flashy fighters they want to promote.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I think the Mayweather fight did more good than harm regarding his status as the PPV king. It elevated his standing to the casuals and I know we don't have a lot to go off of since he's only fought Khabib since then but I'd say he has a low bar of 1.5m buys now as long as the opponent has some kind of gimmick/personality.

My only gripe is that he'll be headlining these mediocre cards from now on. I understand he doesn't need a strong main card to lead in but it's a great platform to push upcoming stars, technically gifted or flashy fighters they want to promote.

He's in that Tyson zone, where none of the reprehensible off-field shit has any affect on his viability or profile. If anything it only raises it. He's the biggest name in the sport for casuals and it's probably not particularly close. I think that mass market are in for anything he's in at this point. Hell I bet that garbage reskinned Whiskey of his is even doing well.

VoxPop

Oct 30, 2017
He's in that Tyson zone, where none of the reprehensible off-field shit has any affect on his viability or profile. If anything it only raises it. He's the biggest name in the sport for casuals and it's probably not particularly close. I think that mass market are in for anything he's in at this point. Hell I bet that garbage reskinned Whiskey of his is even doing well.

100%. I'd say he has even surpassed Mayweather at this point in terms of superstardom. Mayweather may have had a higher ceiling with Manny but that took a decade of honeydicking.

Money in MMA isn't anywhere close to boxing but I think that most are getting paid what they're actually worth these days. Maybe a higher base pay of something like 500 or 1m flat for champs is reasonable considering a majority of them don't actually draw and are riding the coattails of the well oiled UFC promotional machine.

The only things that ends the Conor train is a devastating KO loss, string of 2-3 bad losses or he goes on some OJ Simpson-esque rampage. Even with all the craziness so far, I feel he knows what his actual limit to his behavior really is.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
100%. I'd say he has even surpassed Mayweather at this point in terms of superstardom. Mayweather may have had a higher ceiling with Manny but that took a decade of honeydicking.

Money in MMA isn't anywhere close to boxing but I think that most are getting paid what they're actually worth these days. Maybe a higher base pay of something like 500 or 1m flat for champs is reasonable considering a majority of them don't actually draw and are riding the coattails of the well oiled UFC promotional machine.

The only things that ends the Conor train is a devastating KO loss, string of 2-3 bad losses or he goes on some OJ Simpson-esque rampage. Even with all the craziness so far, I feel he knows what his actual limit to his behavior really is.

Economists have actually looked into this through marginal gains analysis and every indication is that the bigger star you are the more the UFC is fucking you over. People like Jones or Holloway would be making 3-5 times more in a boxing style model. UFC is giving fighters about 15% of revenue vs the 50% that boxers get.

VoxPop

Oct 30, 2017
Economists have actually looked into this through marginal gains analysis and every indication is that the bigger star you are the more the UFC is fucking you over. People like Jones or Holloway would be making 3-5 times more in a boxing style model. UFC is giving fighters about 15% of revenue vs the 50% that boxers get.

I agree that guys like Jones/GSP are underpaid. Not quite Conor level pay but they should be clearing at least 5-10m a fight for me to personally be satisfied. I was talking more about Fight Night headliner type fighters and lesser known champs like Cejudo/Shev/Volk despite their skills. You should be paid for what you bring to the table.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
The saddest thing is that the human shitstain is gonna make hundreds of milions in 2 year with masvidal fight, khabib fight and floyd rematch...

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree that guys like Jones/GSP are underpaid. Not quite Conor level pay but they should be clearing at least 5-10m a fight for me to personally be satisfied. I was talking more about Fight Night headliner type fighters and lesser known champs like Cejudo/Shev/Volk despite their skills. You should be paid for what you bring to the table.
This has no basis in reality. The UFC is no longer in the star making business. The UFC sells fights to ESPN at a bulk, fixed rate. Bringing eyes to a fight is no longer the point of the UFC, but consistency.

They have a schedule to fill up with fights and need hundreds of anonymous fighters to be able to meet those demands. Thats the whole reason a union would make their life so much better.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Conor is an entertaining fighter even with his more humble persona. I hope he keeps at it because he became a living shitpost. Maybe he still is but this helps.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017

Seems Mr. McGregor is a trump guy. haven't heard him talk about trump at all before.

Last edited:

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
oh look another jaw for Kamaru to break

jk

Conor would never take that fight, even if it promised a big paycheck

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Sucks that for every Bobby Knuckles, we get 5 Colby's and Conor's, and of course something like this happens to one of the good ones (at least as far as I know).

Rob's a gamer and twitch streams too, talks about it a lot on his podcast.

Hope everything goes well for him.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
z6S6w4H.jpg

UFC Fight Night 166 Main Card on ESPN+ (8 p.m. ET, Sat, Jan 25th):

265 lbs.: Curtis Blaydes vs. Junior dos Santos
170 lbs.: Michael Chiesa vs. Rafael dos Anjos
145 lbs.: Arnold Allen vs. Nik Lentz
125 lbs.: Jordan Espinosa vs. Alex Perez
115 lbs.: Hannah Cifers vs. Angela Hill
205 lbs.: Jamahal Hill vs. Darko Stosic

UFC Fight Night 166 Prelims Card on ESPN+ (5 p.m. ET):

125 lbs.: Justine Kish vs. Lucie Pudilova
185 lbs.: Bevon Lewis vs. Dequan Townsend
135 lbs.: Montel Jackson vs. Felipe Colares
135 lbs.: Lina Lansberg vs. Sara McMann
135 lbs.: Tony Gravely vs. Brett Johns
155 lbs.: Herbert Burns vs. Nate Landwehr

Cyborg is fighting on bellator too btw.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Blaydes is the prospect, but I can't not root for Junior.

These uppercuts he's throwing are insane lol.

WOW, very impressive from Blaydes.. Probably future champ.

Wamapoke

Apr 11, 2018
Was pretty down on the chin of JDS at this point of his career but he did well not to get totally ktfo'd from the initial punch.