• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
MLB must have demanded this in order for Sony to keep the license, I assume.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
won't age as badly as this tweet:

I mean, it wasn't wrong at the time. Things change. It's crazy that Sony doesn't have an exclusive license with the MLB, but they're so dominant that they're making multiplatform MLB games. At least it happened more organically rather than getting an exclusive license outright ala EA & the NFL.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think sony publishes the xbox / nintendo version or do they go through a 3rd party ala how MS use to release on Nintendo via THQ or Sony and Death Strandong PC and 505.

I wonder if Sony SD themselves develop the other versions or a 2nd studio does port work.

Lots of fun little details forthcoming.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While it's true that MLB may have pushed for it, I do wonder if Sony if part of this is due to them maybe exploring this with their younger oriented titles (such as Ratchet & Clank, Ape Escape/ Saru Getchu, and Sly Cooper), because their Kid multi-media IP in Japan, Gonjiro, is skipping the PlayStation platform and exclusively on mobile. It'd probably make the most sense for their General Audience/ Kid-targeted IPs to likely explore this, since it does seem like Sony doesn't have a lot of confidence with that demographic if Gonjiro is any indication.

Completely speculative, but I get the feeling those type of titles may be the first ones for Sony to really explore this with beyond MLB.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
People thinking mlb forced Sony are crazy. It was not an exclusive license to begin with and any new studio would need a few years to build a baseball studio and make a game that matches the quality of the show. Sony saw how much money it was making through micro transactions from the last few mlb games and likely agreed to a better licensing deal with mlb to get more money from each sale and also increase their player base to take advantage of the micro transaction money as well.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
Good move, Sony bout to make bank. Xbox fans finally get a AAA baseball game.

Next gen is going to be off the hook. Crazy times.

Last edited:

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
yeah of course. honestly it was a super safe assumption from the studio back in 2017, i'm just making a joke about the "aging badly" thing. they couldn't have predicted that MLB would demand a change in their licensing deal after so many years of exclusivity.
Demand a change. Cute

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
so you think sony came up with the idea to make the series multiplat?
No but I don't think mlb demanded it. They probably came to them with a better licensing deal in exchange for taking it multiplatform. Sony saw the potential and agreed to it. Mlb did in house games these past few years and failed and no third party was willing to take it since 2012 when 2k decided not to renew their multiplatform deal. Sony never had an exclusive license for baseball games. They were the only that invested and made a quality title.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
so you think sony came up with the idea to make the series multiplat?

Yes? Its a GaaS game that does nothing but benefit them by being on every platform possible. In addition to that, the people buying consoles just for MLB games was likely a super niche that they figure they can still hook with exclusive content or something of that nature, or other games.

Sony stands to make a LOT of money here since they own the developer in this situation and could be the publisher as well. Add to the fact that the game is micro-transaction heavy and you have something akin to Minecraft (although obviously not nearly as big) for Sony.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well good for me. I switched from pc to ps4 because of exclusive titles but I only need one platform therefore I bought hundreds of multiplatform games since 2013 and always had plus. I will gladly play all of Sony games on another platform. Cheers 😂

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, that's like 20 years of exclusivity for that series finally coming to an end

MLB must be thirsty looking at that FIFA money

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No but I don't think mlb demanded it. They probably came to them with a better licensing deal in exchange for taking it multiplatform. Sony saw the potential and agreed to it. Mlb did in house games these past few years and failed and no third party was willing to take it since 2012 when 2k decided not to renew their multiplatform deal. Sony never had an exclusive license for baseball games. They were the only that invested and made a quality title.
Yes? Its a GaaS game that does nothing but benefit them by being on every platform possible. In addition to that, the people buying consoles just for MLB games was likely a super niche that they figure they can still hook with exclusive content or something of that nature, or other games.

Sony stands to make a LOT of money here since they own the developer in this situation and could be the publisher as well. Add to the fact that the game is micro-transaction heavy and you have something akin to Minecraft (although obviously not nearly as big) for Sony.
maybe you guys are right. my thought was that it was a case of sony losing the license if they didn't make it multiplat, but admittedly i'm not very informed about MLB and sport licenses, etc.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
can someone chime in on how many NBA 2K has sold on PC? I can see this being very lucrative for Sony actually unless the association takes a bigger cut? I mean NBA 2K makes bank for take 2 interactive.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
maybe you guys are right. my thought was that it was a case of sony losing the license if they didn't make it multiplat, but admittedly i'm not very informed about MLB and sport licenses, etc.

Sony never had an exclusive license to lose, so that angle makes no sense. Because they never had an exclusive license, MLB could not dictate where the games released (although they might have encouraged Sony to go multiplatform, as any partner in that kind of situation would). So this is rather clearly motivated by Sony, and why wouldn't it be? The amount of money Sony stands to make here if they play their cards right is comparable to an EA sports game with all their ultimate team nonsense.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony never had an exclusive license to lose, so that angle makes no sense. Because they never had an exclusive license, MLB could not dictate where the games released (although they might have encouraged Sony to go multiplatform, as any partner in that kind of situation would). So this is rather clearly motivated by Sony, and why wouldn't it be? The amount of money Sony stands to make here if they play their cards right is comparable to an EA sports game with all their ultimate team nonsense.
got it

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think this was forced on Sony. There was nothing stopping any other pub from making an mlb baseball game. The Show was just too far ahead for it to be worth it starting over.

This has new PlayStation leadership written all over it. Besides, PS is about to rake it in from this deal.

With Amazon, Apple and Google gnawing at the gaming industry, it makes sense for Sony, MS and Nintendo to start working together to protect what they've built the last 30+ years.

Even better if they decided themselves, I still don't expect other games to follow but it's still one more game that some people will now be able to play they couldn't before. Well done Sony.

Jan 20, 2019

Well, fifa makes 1B in lootbox alone, that is something, even it only makes half of that every year is prety big.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Even better if they decided themselves, I still don't expect other games to follow but it's still one more game that some people will now be able to play they couldn't before. Well done Sony.

Dreams would be a good candidate especially on pc if they are looking for specific titles to put on other platforms. Mod community would go banana's, that game is all about creating and sharing. You wonder since it's coming out of early access if an announcement similar to mlb is close?

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting move, think if Sony is looking to do this with some of their other titles then Dreams might very well be the next best choice...

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't the title of the thread wrong?

The series is going multiplatform in 2020 with MLB 2021, right?

No, it goes multiplatform with MLB 2021 which releases in 2021.

The Show's years correspond to the year and season they release in. Baseball doesn't encompass two years like the other sports do.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Well good for me. I switched from pc to ps4 because of exclusive titles but I only need one platform therefore I bought hundreds of multiplatform games since 2013 and always had plus. I will gladly play all of Sony games on another platform. Cheers 😂

In Sony's eyes (and other platform holders really), you belong to the most important class of customers among the gamer demographic and they are well aware of what they need to do to keep you. That's why their crown jewels such as TLOU2 will most likely remain exclusive to PS consoles and PS Now (~3 years after launch date).

They aren't going to throw away all that platform revenue (3P cut, PS+, accessories, etc) to chase after the lowest tier (those buying their exclusives on other platforms and nothing more).

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Strange times we are in. Minecraft crossplaying with all three main consoles, Cuphead and Ori coming to Switch, Banjo & Kazooie appearing in Smash Bros., and now this.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Dreams would be a good candidate especially on pc if they are looking for specific titles to put on other platforms. Mod community would go banana's, that game is all about creating and sharing. You wonder since it's coming out of early access if an announcement similar to mlb is close?
That could be a shout actually never thought of that. Not my type of thing because I lack skills and imagination but you could imagine it taking off on PC.

Jan 20, 2019
That could be a shout actually never thought of that. Not my type of thing because I lack skills and imagination but you could imagine it taking off on PC.

That game is coming to pc, im like 90% sure, even the Dev's have already hit to that.

Exactly! Even if this makes comparable to say, a NHL instead of a Fifa, that's still going to be a LOT of money.

Another thing, if sub service becomes a thing, then PSNOW will have a good sport game hit to drive subs.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In Sony's eyes (and other platform holders really), you belong to the most important class of customers among the gamer demographic and they are well aware of what they need to do to keep you. That's why their crown jewels such as TLOU2 will most likely remain exclusive to PS consoles and PS Now (~3 years after launch date).

They aren't going to throw away all that platform revenue (3P cut, PS+, accessories, etc) to chase after the lowest tier (those buying their exclusives on other platforms and nothing more).

Well let's see what they do. I have more than 300 games on steam as well and I ditched it the sec i got a ps4.

Another reason besides first party was the Japanese games but since 2013 most of them is on pc so it is.

Xbox games
Japanese games
Some switch exclusives
PC exclusives
And if they most of the Sony exclusives to the list iam out.

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
Wait is this really the OT for the latest MLB: The Show game?

Couldn't even reach one page. And here we have a 17 page thread so far. This could mean a massive sales increase for the next entry in the series.

It's a sports game on Era, unless it's complaining about micro transactions it's not going to get any traction.

This is clearly a win win, MLB takes whatever money they were wasting on making RBI and gets a way better baseball game, and Sony gets lots more cash from game sales and micro transactions.

Deleted member 22070

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oooh talk about great timing ! I just watched Moneyball a couple days ago and I was really into finding out more about baseball and the MLB games in general. But as a player I was disappointed to see there still wasn't anything for it on other platforms than PS4.

As a PC player, that gives me hope.