• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Presuming a lot here, pal. If no console offers anything exclusive to justify its existence, why do consoles exist at all? It's not like Playstation hardware offers anything unique to justify the purchase on its own merits.

Consoles are a cheaper entry to high end gaming for most people than PCs, consume less power and more attractive to families who want comfy couch gaming.

Stop pretending like a few exclusives going multi-platform kills the need for any console.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not really all that bothered about baseball at all but this is obviously big and fantastic news for all except the weird fanboys but who cares about their recent struggles, esp regarding Sony.

I'd imagine this is like if FIFA was an exclusive game series for us Brits?

And I'm chuckling also at the 'not wanting the visuals compromised' concern after making a post to this effect just yesterday. Like clockwork.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Wow, that's pretty surprising news. But I guess out of all SONY first party studios' games, this one was the most likely one to game multiplat, as it might have some external forces trying force this (the MLB, that is).

Still, it's a very surprising turn of events, and makes you wonder how far they will go. At this point, though, I'm not expecting them to put their major exclusives like Horizon, God of War, etc. on other platforms yet.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was just thinking about this with the minecraft stuff recently.

Of all the SIE games, MLB makes the most sense for sony to let go multiplatform. It should do well for them on xbox an pc. Door is wide open for baseball these days.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
This series was one of the odd ones where a big sports license seems hampered to only be on a single platform.

What, if any, other series that Sony has seems viable for going multiplatform?
The large singleplayer games seem out of the question (i.e. God of War, Horizon) as they will be developed with the PS5 baseline in mind and will attract crowds in droves for that platform.

But Dreams seem like a good candidate. It's a very niche title but that's simultaneously a 'service' title that is fully dependent on community input.

Deleted member 16609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
Best thing I heard in a very long time. The last MLB game I bought was the steel case with Ken Griffey Jr. I'm a huge fan of him. What he did for the fans in NYC after 9/11 is something I will never forget. I will double dip when this happens.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Don't think MLB has the leverage to force Sony to go multiplatform, they gave them a little something in return for it. Stripping Sony of a non-exclusive license would cost them money when there no other major publisher putting out MLB licensed baseball games anymore. In the end this means more money for both, especially Sony.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Most likely. Certainly we know FIFA makes it a requirement which is why the idea of MS buying EA and making FIFA an Xbox exclusive was so ridiculous (well, in addition to many more obvious reasons).

Their logo is right there in the press release.
MLB license is different than FIFA's, as it's not exclusive to Sony (or wasn't, I wouldn't be surprised if it is now and partly why Sony agreed if so), like FIFA's is to EA, so I doubt MLB tried to play hardball with them. Just renegotiate the deal to be more mutually beneficial to both, MLB get a great multiplatform game, Sony probably a better deal/guaranteed no competition and obviously more money from a service game.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

cool handheld version, think it's going to be a vita port? It's their a difference between console and vita? The last vita was only digital right

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Portable MLB

Yes. Please.

Literally all I need now is Madden on Switch and I'm good with the system for the next five years.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
WOW

I mean, good on them to put it on other platforms, but WOW. A Sony owned studio developing for others consoles. What a time.

Even crazier if they do cross-play.

Last edited:

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Good move, more money and more players incoming. Hopefully both companies do more of this but I'm thinking maybe the idea came from MLB?

I haven't played a baseball game since the Acclaim ones on the N64 but will get it if it's released on xbox.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oof. I mean, things change and all, right? I wonder what's coming more in the future.
yeah of course. honestly it was a super safe assumption from the studio back in 2017, i'm just making a joke about the "aging badly" thing. they couldn't have predicted that MLB would demand a change in their licensing deal after so many years of exclusivity.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they will make their game best on xbox if scarlett is more powerful then ps5.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
User Warned: Drive-by trolling.
Sony fanboys right now:

giphy.gif

Sams88

Oct 9, 2019
This will be a goldmine for Sony.

I really hope this opens up the possibility of Sony gaining more sports rights. Particularly a spiritual successor to Fight Night. With the revival of the sport in recent years I really do think a quality boxing game could be a global hit.

Nov 18, 2017
wow, Sony & Microsoft releasing games on switch really putts the 'NINTENDOOMED' stuff from the last 2 decades into perspective lol

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Seems like this was forced on Sony and won't change anything for any other game of theirs.
I don't think this was forced on Sony. There was nothing stopping any other pub from making an mlb baseball game. The Show was just too far ahead for it to be worth it starting over.

This has new PlayStation leadership written all over it. Besides, PS is about to rake it in from this deal.

With Amazon, Apple and Google gnawing at the gaming industry, it makes sense for Sony, MS and Nintendo to start working together to protect what they've built the last 30+ years.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
This makes sense. Always seemed weird that a sports game was exclusive. Sony gonna make made money off this.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I wonder if it will be bundled under a service on other platforms. The ability insert your own platform within competing platforms will be crucial going forward (and SIE could always utilise PS Now for example).

Regardless, I'm not surprised with this move as MLB TS is a multiplayer title and more importantly, a licensed sports franchise.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are made by Sony lol.

But idk if Switch can handle it, especially a 2021 title
they had vita versions until a few years ago, i'm sure they can use that as a base and improve it for switch.
either way, i don't see why nintendo (and MS) would retweet and reply to the news if they didn't know the games are coming to their platforms. the implications are pretty clear.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
wow, Sony & Microsoft releasing games on switch really putts the 'NINTENDOOMED' stuff from the last 2 decades into perspective lol

Nintendo must be feeling pretty smug right now. They have Sony and Microsoft tripping over themselves to bring their first party games to the Switch, and they don't have to give anything back in return.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
cool handheld version, think it's going to be a vita port? It's their a difference between console and vita? The last vita was only digital right
I used to get the Vita version more often than the PS3 version during the last few years of the previous gen, to give you an idea where they're at feature-wise on hardware scaling. It was basically the same as the PS3 game without a few visual bells and whistles.

I believe on the transition to PS4 the visual gap widened (obviously) but other than a few ancillary features the game was otherwise the same. The core modes - online play, career mode, and franchise mode, were all still in place.

My thoughts as a long time franchise fan:
1. People should stop speculating about MLB forcing Sony's hand. MLB sold an exclusive that left Sony in the loop to 2K years and years ago and that whole thing fell apart. They've not seen anyone but Sony have interest in the license because for U.S. sports video games baseball is clearly third place behind NFL and NBA properties. If not Sony then MLB would be giving up what video game licensing money they do make now, so I doubt they were looking to strong arm anyone.

2. Sony killed the competition here, so why not expand into open ground? The number of people buying a PS4 just for The Show are pretty limited, and of those most are probably super low tie ratio customers who buy The Show and maybe a few other games. Meanwhile Sony could probably comfortably double units sold between Xbox and Switch, with the Xbox version likely an incredibly cost efficient port and the Switch version comparable to the lift they were doing for the Vita up until just a few years ago which seemed reliably easy.

This is basically increasing San Diego's overhead by a small amount and increasing their revenue massively, so its an absolute no brainer unless fighting console wars in 2021 is a reason for Sony to leave money on the table (its not).

3. Non-Show fans interested in this thread don't know what they're in for. If left on default at a moderate difficulty The Show is the hardest batting mechanic in major baseball release history. You can tweak a lot to make it meet you where you need to, but if you just drop difficulty you'll find all the pitching and whatnot too easy.

4. Career mode on Switch would be enough to get me to put down Out of the Park Baseball as my primary and go with The Show in 2021.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This is the craziest news I have seen in some time.

MLB: The Show is a huge part of why I own a Playstation.

This doesn't mean I won't own a PS5 but it's still crazy that I might be able to buy a Switch copy for on the go as well.