• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you Sony or whoever decided to do this. I am sure more players will be able to enjoy this game on their preferred platforms now.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
the only MLB announcement i want...is EA bringing back MVP Baseball.
i've tried the Bigs and The Show. and they just aint as good as old ass MVP baseball with manny ramirez on the cover i still play on PS2.

cool for Xbox tho. Its weird that a major sport just didn't have a real game on there

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Well, Konami actually makes good baseball games with Pro Baseball Spirits. I'm surprised that the MLB or Konami never got together to just reskin that franchise as a MLB game. But iirc Konami does have exclusive use of the NPB because they're a chief sponsor or something like that as well.
They did do that on the Wii and PS2, but it didn't do that well and the 2K exclusivity deal probably was a big part of it not being a regular thing.

Got Danny

Nov 8, 2017
Doubt mlb strong armed Sony. Bet if Sony wanted they could've kept the status quo, both parties would still profit. Mlb probably pitched the idea and Sony saw the $. Seems more like a Marvel (mlb) coming to Sony asking them to just make a great game, Spiderman (mlb multiplatform).
The fact that they tried and failed with RBI baseball says it all

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
Thank god. That RBI Baseball game series has been pretty bad in comparison. Xbox and PlayStation sharing games? What a time to be alive.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
They did do that on the Wii and PS2, but it didn't do that well and the 2K exclusivity deal probably was a big part of it not being a regular thing.

The Pro Baseball Spirits games are different. Those are Powerful Pro. Pro Baseball Spirits are more realistic (at least visually)

pro-yakyuu-spirits-2019-574641.11.jpg

Considering Konami still pumps out the PES games and it must be lucrative for them, I always wondered why they never tried expanding Pro Baseball Spirits into the west. Guess they just didn't see the market for it.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Really surprised at this, but it certainly makes sense. The reactionary takes are annoying as always. Guess generation changes bring out the tribalism in people full bore lol

Just felt like we were past that kind of behavior. Shit I'm 23 and knowing how old the forum skews it seems kinda embarrassing.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
These threads always make me cry thinking about what Nintendo Pennant Chase Baseball could have been :(
I'm glad this is going multiplat. It has got to hurt MLB that they only have a visible title on one platform

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
MLB: Hey Sony, would you decide to let The Show go multiplatform?
Sony:
giphy.gif

It's likely PS will keep the exclusive console sponsor for the MLB a la FIFA.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I haven't had much to be happy about in gaming in a while. Seeing Microsoft and Sony in a suicide race to see who can devalue their platform the quickest while simultaneously somehow trying to hype people up for increasingly irrelevant next-gen consoles has certainly been an eye-opening experience.
Are you not seeing the problem with the fact that you derive happiness from others being kept from enjoying something in addition to you also being able to enjoy it?

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
The Pro Baseball Spirits games are different. Those are Powerful Pro. Pro Baseball Spirits are more realistic (at least visually)

Considering Konami still pumps out the PES games and it must be lucrative for them, I always wondered why they never tried expanding Pro Baseball Spirits into the west. Guess they just didn't see the market for it.
Gotcha. I didn't know there was a second baseball from them, but I'd imagine the work to localize to the MLB probably wasn't worth it with the competition back then and I guess the same now with MLB The Show being a high bar to compete with.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Are you not seeing the problem with the fact that you derive happiness from others being kept from enjoying something in addition to you also being able to enjoy it?

Presuming a lot here, pal. If no console offers anything exclusive to justify its existence, why do consoles exist at all? It's not like Playstation hardware offers anything unique to justify the purchase on its own merits.

OutToLunch

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd bet on that. Better this than Sony losing the license to make the games, its like the only quality sports series left.

unlikely. no one is clamoring to get into the biz of making mlb games because it's effectively a dying sport. more likely scenario is mlb gave them a sweetheart deal that made publishing on other platforms more worthwhile. it doesn't hurt that it's likely to make sony more money in the process.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
LOL at EA fishing.

Sure buddy. EA can get the license anytime they want, no one is stopping them. EA can't make a sports title for shit, and have a record of cancelling more sports titles than any other brand.

What a degenerate, being part of the industry and pretending to not know how it works.

Man, don't go overboard with these hot takes. EA's FIFA and Madden series are bigger, more popular games than MLB...and at least they keep online up for games for more than a year.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I would love to get this on PC (and hope it gets confirmed) as fans no doubt would add more models to the game and I would be able to play with something weird.

it would be fun seeing people's reactions to https://kotaku.com/horrifying-mlb-the-show-glitch-is-not-okay-1793405939 if someone modded them in :P

It also would be nice on the switch (which seemingly has been confirmed) but in general it's great news that more people get to play a great baseball game.

I do hope that it doesn't stretch the team too far and they continue to put in all the updates every year. But you can always hire more people for the ports I suppose or set up another team for that.

TrojanBlade

Oct 30, 2017
whats with all this buddy buddy feelings with PS and XBOX and Switch ... next you gonna tell me I can play Halo on PS5??? or Uncharted on Xbox???? Mario on PS5 ??? Is this upside down world? I want cosole WARZZZZZ not kissing and hugging!!

;)

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
Brilliant for Sony about to reap the financial rewards of potentially millions more players. Brilliant for millions of fans who don't own any Sony devices who now get a piece of MLB goodness! EVERYONE wins.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
The potential crossplay implications are insane. Multi-level fan wars Cubs vs Sox that could also be Xbox vs PS... the trash talk would be off the charts.

May 26, 2018
Press release says multiple console platforms. All of us PC people back down and continue wallowing in our (admittedly still decent) MVP Baseball 2005 and its mods.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow. This is the first true exclusive swapping between Xbox and PlayStation? I mean there is Minecraft but that was on PlayStation before Microsoft bought it.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. This is the first true exclusive swapping between Xbox and PlayStation? I mean there is Minecraft but that was on PlayStation before Microsoft bought it.
Huh. You're right. Outer Worlds was also announced for PS before the MS acquisition. I'm really interested in seeing how MS handles a potential Mc2 and OW2 going forward.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
It's over, period. Sony lost their last ace, and that's the end of their PS5 hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for PS5. Sony has nothing left, nothing they can reveal in the next State of Play would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in a PS5. Except if they want to play Spider-Man 2. Which will also come to Switch at some point.

The age of Sony is done.

/s

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Presuming a lot here, pal. If no console offers anything exclusive to justify its existence, why do consoles exist at all? It's not like Playstation hardware offers anything unique to justify the purchase on its own merits.
Why does that matter to you? PS4 offered unique games so you bought it. If PS5 does you will buy that too. If it doesn't presumably you won't and you will just buy the games instead. Why does it matter to you whether or not the console is part of the equation here?

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Sony beat EA to the punch with sports games on the Switch :p No Madden, No NHL but Baseball from Sony :O

This is a weird situation, but it's a good situation for everyone. Whatever Sony loses in console sales to this they will gain a ton in gamesales.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Huh. You're right. Outer Worlds was also announced for PS before the MS acquisition. I'm really interested in seeing how MS handles a potential Mc2 and OW2 going forward.
Closest we'll get to a Minecraft 2 is pretty much The Bedrock Edition. Though Minecraft Dungeons was announced for everything too. I wouldn't look at Minecraft as a example of what's to come either, it's kinda it's own thing compared to MS' other I.Ps.

Jun 23, 2019
So Sony is making The Show multiplatform the way Minecraft is multiplatform? Sounds like Sony is about to make bank lol.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
That's really weird since Sony develops it; I'd think they'd hand it over to a different studio before this would happen.

I'm sure Sony would love Xbox players to see 'Sony Interactive Entertainment' as they boot up the game, just as Microsoft like having 'Xbox Game Studios' when PlayStation folk play Minecraft.

JetBazooka

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
This is smart on sony. get more money and lose nothing as far as console sales while also learning the ins and outs of the competitors platforms and capabilities. I wonder if they getting Xbox scarlet dev kits.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this is kinda crazy, but then again it makes a ton of sense in that particular case.

Gran Turismo wouldn't be totally out of question too I guess, but it's still a different beast. Who knows though?