• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 24, 2019
User Warned: Port-begging.
Now put Halo, Gears, Cuphead, and Ori on the Playstation & Switch (I know Cuphead and Ori are there, but the other two series also)!

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I know tons of Xbox gamers that switched to PS just for this game alone. Big loss for Sony in NA. Not in $ but players.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
Neat, I haven't played a good MLB game since Sony acquired the license. Lets go Xbox and/or PC.

Fake Edit: I guess those tweets confirm Xbox. Yeeeeeah Booyeee. Now it needs to have cross platform MP.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
Neat. I love the Show and glad more people get to play it. I just hope nothing changes to make it worse (i.e. shifting to another team).

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Imagine Sony forcing Xbox players to have a PSN account to play this online. lol

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
i don't think that SIE had the exclusive rights, right? just that 2K stopped developing their game?
Everyone can make a MLB game (with MLB authorization of course), Sony was just the only one who put resources to make a game (especially after 2K stopped)

Apparently the other game is not very good (RBI), I think for MLB it is smarter to have just one good game available anywhere else and they probably paid Sony to release MLB The Show on other platforms

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
There was nothing stopping them from approach EA or 2K about a deal like the NFL did a few years ago. The Show sells well enough that it'd be appealing if the biggest producer of sports games was out of the picture due to the deal.

EA and 2K used to make baseball games. They stopped for a reason. The games don't sell enough for them to justify making them, especially not competing against Sony.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Huh. This was like the one exclusive IP that Sony could consistently count on. It's hard not to see this as a pretty big blow.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Breh, how do you consistently have all the correct opinions about games in every thread that I see you in?

I still think World Series Baseball '98 is the G.O.A.T. baseball sim, but The Show is the only series that I enjoy as much as I did WSB.

Oh my god, WSB 98 is STILL my favorite baseball game ever. The perfect mix of arcade and sim. Me and my brother-in-law, who was an MLB pitcher, would play it for HOOOOOURS.

WSB 2k1 was so insanely disappointing as a follow up. Although 2k2 was a huge improvement. They never quite hit the high that was 98 tho.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Somehow Sony will say "gamers prefer playing this on the most secure network possible" when they announce that there won't be crossplay. lol

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018
tenor.gif

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
That franchise's sales are going to skyrocket even more now. I bet Sony San Diego is loving this!

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Smart move. An entire license being stuck to one platform was foolish from the start.

this opens up the game to sell to 40+ million more people.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
This makes so much sense. A lot of the MLB brass were in town today (San Diego) and we were trying to figure out what it was about.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
One less reason to get a Playstation (just jokes). But this is good for gamers... :)

Oct 28, 2017
i wonder if mlb gave sony a choice put the game on other platforms or lose the licences

MLB has been working for the past few years to market to a younger and more diverse fan base, and it has been working. I could see this as more of that marketing push. It says Sony extended their exclusive agreement with MLB, and I am sure that getting the game on more platforms was something the MLB wanted to negotiate. If you think about it, this is a win win for both Sony and MLB. The game can be played by more console owners, Sony can market to a larger customer base, while also getting practice developing on other consoles or developing relationships with devs that can do that porting for them (which could open the potention for future cross platform games for other Sony owned developers).

You have to understand that the previous exclusivity deal that Sony signed with MLB was signed back in 2014, when MLB parted ways with 2k Sports and MLB2k. Five years ago, console publishers developing a game for other consoles/platforms wasn't such a common thing as it is today. Sony was probably more open to it now, and I am sure there were some financial incentives to do so.

Do you think MLB was going to simply yank the license away from Sony and San Diego Studio if they didn't publish on multiple platforms? They have been making a fantastic baseball game for a long time now, that is what MLB wants for now and the future. Sony may have come into this deal with more leverage than you think.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gonna be awkward

Sony, "umm Microsoft/Nintendo, can we um, like you know, get a dev kit from you because ummm...just trying to release a game"
Microsoft/Nintendo, "what you say? Can you repeat? I don't think I get you"
Sony, "We want umm, a dev kit from you because we want to release a game on your platform"
Microsoft/Nintendo, "Can you like, speak louder? Just trying to make sure we ain't imagining things"
Sony, "I SAY GIVE US A DEV KIT BECAUSE WE WANT TO RELEASE A GAME ON NINTENDO SWITCH AND XBOX DON'T MAKE ME REPEAT IT AGAIN"