• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
User Banned (3 Days): Platform wars
A consequence of gamepass?

One of the footnotes of a lot of sceptics was the reduction in budget to counter the loss in earnings through the service.

Mega1X

The Fallen
Jun 4, 2018

One of the footnotes of a lot of sceptics was the reduction in budget to counter the loss in earnings through the service.

But I mean that wouldn't make sense. Game isn't going through a service on the PS side. It's going through normal means of purchase.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
But they finished development knowing the game would be given away for free?

Are you trolling? These games have a defined budget and they are made in 12 months by reusing ton of stuff, thinking that they had to cut stuff or make it worse because they knew aboutt GAMEPASS 3 weeks before launch is some dumb conspiracy theory.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You can't create multiple players anymore, just different loadouts for the CAP that's tied to your profile. Now there's no point doing it if you aren't into DD since you have to grind it to upgrade your CAP (not a problem for me, but I know it's going to piss a lot of people off)
Most significantly to me, you can only grind to a cap of 50 in all attributes just by playing. The rest comes from equipment "load outs" you need to grind through DD, because you can use your "Ballplayer" in both RTTS and DD.
Damn, I play MLB the show exclusively for RttS. This kills my interest in this series, fuck.

First it was 2K and now the show. I guess I'm just not the target audience for these sports games anymore.

fallingedge

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the hate on next gen 2k21. Speaking as an offline only player, the changes they made were fantastic.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
I'm still confused over the RTTS / DD loadouts....

ac7f8ff25b850c32712fe1127dab927e9bcdd341-1920x1080.png

Read up here https://realsport101.com/mlb-the-sh...how-features-trailer-positions-personalities/
and here
www.operationsports.com

MLB The Show 21 Road to the Show and Ballplayer Details Revealed

MLB The Show 21 Road to the Show and Ballplayer details have been revealed in this latest feature premiere from SDS.

There will be several ways to progress your Ballplayer in MLB The Show 21. Two of those will be Moments and Programs. These are two ways your Ballplayer will unlock perks and archetype packs that help you in building your optimal preferred loadout. Those programs can be completed inside Road to the Show or Diamond Dynasty, so there's a lot of different ways to groom your Ballplayer into the very specific build you envision.

Is it 100% confirmed that you MUST play DD to progress your player? Like is it similar to NBA 2K where buying VC is mandatory unless you want to grind for 100s or hours?

Man I'm just happy this is on GPU.

Rivanov

Mar 22, 2018
The Netherlands
First time MLB The Show "player" since I'm a Xbox gamer. Can't wait to try it out. hopefully I can play it today by changing my region to New-Zealand. 🙂

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably grab it some time in the summer when I really need a baseball game fix but the RttS changes are a big bummer.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
This series would benefit from spacing out its releases, seriously. Perhaps the MLB is "forcing" the developers -and Sony- to churn out sequels on a yearly basis?

IamAToast

Apr 18, 2018
Germany
I think the "outside" perspective is interesting tbh. If they find it fun and accessible, and do not follow the sport, it speaks positively about the game
Will try it out. If its accessible and fun it would be nice. I have no connection to the sport (like most US Sports becuase EU) so I need some basic to understand in the game. Played a Online Match of Madden for Gamepass Quest had no clue what going on, but somehow managed to win.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
This series would benefit from spacing out its releases, seriously. Perhaps the MLB is "forcing" the developers -and Sony- to churn out sequels on a yearly basis?

Every sportsgaming franchise would tbh

Not sure if MLB, Formula 1 or the NFL are forcing companies to release annual games but they sure as hell want to get paid every year.
Only way to recoup the (extremely expensive) license fees is to release as many games as possible and the "one game per season" model is kinda the sweet spot as far as market saturation and profit goes.
That's how you get these "baby step improvements + roster update" games every year.

Really can't compare it to the jump in quality between TLOU and TLOU2, because Sony does not have to pay somebody for the rights to Ellie & Joel every year. Hardly matters to Sony if they release one or two games per decade.

EDIT: Pro Evolution tried a new approach in 2021 where they only charged 29.99€ for a roster update to the 2020 games. Thing is, Pro Evo is lacking some of the most important/expensive licenses (Premier League, Bundesliga) so I'm not sure that would translate to other games.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
RttS has been absolutely ruined. And also the PS5 version looks exactly like the PS4 version except for a better framerate and loading times. Nothing truly next gen about it.

And you also can't import your own music into the game(only works on PS4), which is something that most people didn't find out until they had the game in their hands.

yes, whoever thought it was a great idea to make it so your character was defined by the gear he wore is a fucking idiot. The whole god damn point of a career mode is the actual improvement of your player by performing actions and playing smart baseball. I think i saw attributes cap at 60 and the rest is gained by gear.

WHY

JUST FUCKING WHY

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
yes, whoever thought it was a great idea to make it so your character was defined by the gear he wore is a fucking idiot. The whole god damn point of a career mode is the actual improvement of your player by performing actions and playing smart baseball. I think i saw attributes cap at 60 and the rest is gained by gear.

WHY

JUST FUCKING WHY

www.youtube.com

How Road to the Show COMPLETELY Changed for MLB The Show 21

Road to the Show made some MASSIVE changes and I'm on the fence about it. We'll have to wait and see when the game comes out on April 16th! #MLBTheShow21Sour...

This video does a good job explaining the changes.
Think we will see tomorrow how "grindy" all that stuff is. If you can win these loadout items at a reasonable pace, I'm OK with it.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020

Ok. Let's look at your argument.

Before:
  • Revenue from PS players
Now:
  • Revenue from PS players
  • Revenue from Xbox players purchasing the game
  • Money from Microsoft upfront to put it on Gamepass.
I might be crazy, but I think MLB might have more money to play with then ever.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
www.youtube.com

How Road to the Show COMPLETELY Changed for MLB The Show 21

Road to the Show made some MASSIVE changes and I'm on the fence about it. We'll have to wait and see when the game comes out on April 16th! #MLBTheShow21Sour...

This video does a good job explaining the changes.
Think we will see tomorrow how "grindy" all that stuff is. If you can win these loadout items at a reasonable pace, I'm OK with it.

I just watched this video and that sounds like they are they are taking the RPG out of RTTS. This loadout stuff sounds seems to run against that concept. I was hoping they would double down on the RPG stuff and create deeper stories.

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
I don't even know how to play baseball, but it is coming day 1 to Game Pass, so nos they have my curiosity, I'll give it a try!

I hope that they include some extensive tutorial, since now this is going to reach a lot of a new audience due to GP.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
I just watched this video and that sounds like they are they are taking the RPG out of RTTS. This loadout stuff sounds seems to run against that concept. I was hoping they would double down on the RPG stuff and create deeper stories.

My hope is that the missions you have to fulfill (like "get 10 hits") kinda go in the direction you want your player to got to.
So if I just want to be a batter in RTTS, I can work towards that.
I admit that it all sounds bad at first glance but I'm not married to the concept of getting 99s in all skill categories via the XP route.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
It's always a problem when any annual sports series is on new hardware. It takes time to get familiar with it and a couple of more years to really get the most under the hood. Making it for multiple systems and making it cross gen is going to have its limitations if they have the same amount of people and the same amount of time.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
I don't even know how to play baseball, but it is coming day 1 to Game Pass, so nos they have my curiosity, I'll give it a try!

I hope that they include some extensive tutorial, since now this is going to reach a lot of a new audience due to GP.

Games like these helps with learning the basics on rules and so on. I still don't know how stealing bases works though or when to do it even if did get platinum trophy in The Show 18.

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to lie, as a PlayStation gamer that invested in a PS5 and avid MLB The Show player, that game going on Game Pass hurt, especially the follow-up from Outriders, another game I was committed to, doing the same. Their cost combined is half an Xbox Series S right there. It's really making me rethink how to buy video games. I do wonder if fellow PS gamers are having the same feelings I have.

Last edited:

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to lie, as a PlayStation gamer and avid MLB The Show player, that game going on Game Pass hurt, especially the follow-up from Outriders, another game I was committed to, doing the same. Their cost combined is half an Xbox Series S right there. It's really making me rethink how to buy video games. I do wonder if fellow PS gamers are having the same feelings I have.
Join us. We have cake.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I'm not going to lie, as a PlayStation gamer and avid MLB The Show player, that game going on Game Pass hurt, especially the follow-up from Outriders, another game I was committed to, doing the same. Their cost combined is half an Xbox Series S right there. It's really making me rethink how to buy video games. I do wonder if fellow PS gamers are having the same feelings I have.

It hasn't changed much for me, granted I have a Series X but it's for exclusives, if a game I want comes out I am still buying it on my PS5 over playing it on GP on my X as it's my preferred platform. The only difference is I may try a game first to make sure I want to actually buy it. I have yet to play a game that was on GP that I liked and then not turn around and buy it on my PS (If it's on there). It's a win/win for both PS and Xbox from me lol.

Oct 27, 2017

It sounds like they emphasized making it friendlier for new / casual players this year.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018

It doesn't have to hurt! I love the games that PlayStation's studios makes, but that doesn't mean I have to stay loyal to one brand forever. You said it yourself, the barrier to entry for Xbox is quite low and would clearly pay off for you relatively quickly.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
From the videos I've seen the game looks much better in game scenarios than trailers, which is so weird but that's always been the way with the Show games. Like, NBA 2K and Madden look great in trailers and pretty samey, incremental updates in game, but the Show always looks best in motion of normal fluid gameplay.

Can't wait to play it tomorrow.

The RTTS changes sound terrible. Seems like they're going in hard on the MTX component in that and turning it more into MyPlayer. I can't imagine that these loadouts won't be affected by microtransactions, like NBA 2K MyPlayer. Sounds like RTTS is scrapping the entire point of the mode, a deep career mode, and replacing it with basically the worst aspects of Diamond Dynasty. Disappointing, watching this preview video they've just decided to kill RTTS going forward, bummer. It's not surprising given the direction of Madden and NBA 2K the last 10 years, but The Show was kinda that last hold out of sports games that didn't completely sell out their feature-complete single player games for MTX-driven arcadey modes.

The idea that your player could be 50ovr in one game, and then you get some unique load out and he suddenly becomes a star in the next game, is antithetical to the entire point of RTTS, which is supposed to be an incremental career mode where you build your player up over time through performance. Adding in the podcast/commentary stuff is an okay touch, but the most fun I've had with this mode over the years has been making my own narrative building a guy, not having the game make a fake narrative for me about being a two way player or something, like ... the journey for me has been about creating a character, getting through the minors, making the Show, falling back, etc, and I don't need video podcasts about that.

Seems like a bizarre conclusion given that the current lifetime sales of MLB The Show on Xbox consoles has $0, and the publisher is paid for games being on GamePass (in addition to MTX revenue which has basically doubled the install base)

I'm not going to lie, as a PlayStation gamer that invested in a PS5 and avid MLB The Show player, that game going on Game Pass hurt, especially the follow-up from Outriders, another game I was committed to, doing the same. Their cost combined is half an Xbox Series S right there. It's really making me rethink how to buy video games. I do wonder if fellow PS gamers are having the same feelings I have.

I think this will pressure Sony to try to get some deal going for PS+, PS now, or something similar on PSN. Seems like a miss if they don't try to counter it given that this has been Sony's most successful sports franchise, ever, and the only Sony Sports title to survive since the original run of Playstation Sony/989 sports games (NBA Shootout, NFL GameDay, MLB Series -> The Show).

Last edited:

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
It hasn't changed much for me, granted I have a Series X but it's for exclusives, if a game I want comes out I am still buying it on my PS5 over playing it on GP on my X as it's my preferred platform. The only difference is I may try a game first to make sure I want to actually buy it. I have yet to play a game that was on GP that I liked and then not turn around and buy it on my PS (If it's on there). It's a win/win for both PS and Xbox from me lol.

I think the thing is too, when this game eventually falls off Game Pass, it's going to drop to $20, and with cross-progression I could buy it later on PlayStation 5.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
You can't create multiple players anymore, just different loadouts for the CAP that's tied to your profile. Now there's no point doing it if you aren't into DD since you have to grind it to upgrade your CAP (not a problem for me, but I know it's going to piss a lot of people off)
Really, you can't create multiple RTTS players now? My kids basically only played RTTS and would do a pitcher and positional player. What happens now... do you have one player who can change positions?