• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
The Sony Imagesoft logo was like the quintessential "everything good is out of stock at Blockbuster but these games of the SNES era.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
So there's no Xbox Series S/X version?

The stuff in the OP is not official, and could just be mockups so I wouldn't read too much into it. The only thing we know for sure is that last year Sony San Diego announced that the series would be going Multiplatform starting this year, and Xbox and Switch retweeted it, but its been pretty radio silent since then so there is no telling if the pandemic has slowed those plans or impacted them in anyway.

libregkd

Oct 25, 2017
Sony would definitely stand to lose, but its ultimately looking like a deal that will benefit all parties. The problem is that a lot of folks on this message board can only look at video game related things through a zero sum lens. "Xbox is getting The Show therefore Sony must be getting fucked".
Oh for sure they would stand to lose if it did get yanked from them. They'd essentially lose a steady, yearly release and potentially an entire studio. But the MLB position isn't great either because then it just them going "well I guess we're not going to sell games??".

And yeah, companies don't act like forum goers. You don't have a relationship for 14 years based on hostility lol. MLB wanted the game to go multiplatform for fairly obvious reasons. They came to an agreement with Sony to make that happen. We'll likely never know the details but to assume it was some powermove on MLB's part seems misguided at best.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
It's been so long.

major-league-baseball-2k11-xbox-360-pal-fr-occasion.jpg

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
the games a system seller for maybe a million to two people, but once those people move to the new system its usually the same YoY buying the game......but not in the way of breaking any records. I mean it only came it at number 3 on the NPD last year and drops off charts within a month or two.

While I do think that the license was involved somewhat......Sony knows how generous the game is/inviting for ultimate team players. It's literally the best MTX sports game on the market atm and the extra revenue will only allow them to further expand the game. Maybe we will finally get an online road to the show mode with actual teams of people playing 1 position of baseball against each other for like 5 innings or so.

Why not unleash the cash cow on a game that doesn't need to be exclusive at all.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
While it is bizarre, I guess ultimately it does make sense. Sony need the license to make this game; MLB want to reach as many players as possible. While the franchise is extremely popular, it's probably not a system mover in the same way as a God of War or The Last of Us. It's still Sony's game, so I imagine 99.9% of the promotion will be for the PlayStation versions. But by reaching a wider audience, there's massive microtransaction potential.

It's definitely a weird one, but it probably works for all involved parties really. I doubt there was any strong-arming or anything like that.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
It's not even close to being the likeliest scenario.

You incentives the behaviour you want from you business partners, you don't threaten them to do so.

Some of you can only think in extremes.
Why would Sony do it for more money when they can get more money from every game they publish by putting them on all platforms but don't? Like sure, they probably get more money from MLB by putting it on all platforms but if more money from their 1st party games was their primary concern above selling consoles then there'd be a lot more Sony published games on non-Sony consoles. So yes, the most likely scenario is an ultimatum from the license holder.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I forgot that was a Sony game lol. For some reason the one that sticks in my mind is Bram Stoker's Dracula. Getting my parents to rent me a game back in the day was rare so I remember wasting one of those on that piece of shit.
There's a few of their published games I can get on with - Mickey Mania, Solstice, Super Bomberman, maybe a few more - but they really were dung. LGN get shit from the NES period, but I'd say Sony Imagesoft were that during the SNES years. Dracula was especially awful.

Jun 23, 2019
Why would Sony do it for more money when they can get more money from every game they publish by putting them on all platforms but don't? Like sure, they probably get more money from MLB by putting it on all platforms but if more money from their 1st party games was their primary concern above selling consoles then there'd be a lot more Sony published games on non-Sony consoles. So yes, the most likely scenario is an ultimatum from the license holder.

lol You don't threaten business partners. Read below.
While it is bizarre, I guess ultimately it does make sense. Sony need the license to make this game; MLB want to reach as many players as possible. While the franchise is extremely popular, it's probably not a system mover in the same way as a God of War or The Last of Us. It's still Sony's game, so I imagine 99.9% of the promotion will be for the PlayStation versions. But by reaching a wider audience, there's massive microtransaction potential.

It's definitely a weird one, but it probably works for all involved parties really. I doubt there was any strong-arming or anything like that.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

Because you weigh the pros and cons of any business decision. Things can be done on a case by case basis. Just because they have determined that making The Show Multiplatform is the best business decision doesn't mean that same thing applies to God of War or The Last of Us. Its possible that they view as God Of War or The Last of Us (and other first party efforts) as more valuable as system sellers/exclusive than the Show, whereas MLB would be more valuable as a mechanism to collect MTX money from a larger user base. Despite what you might read on this forum, distinctions like these can exist and can explain why these video game companies make the decisions they do.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except this game is the best selling baseball game every year and nothing compares to the quality. MLB themselves tried making their own and it didn't work out.

They would be fools to scrap a money making series like this.
RBI baseball, the MLB's game, isn't a simulation game made to compete with the show. I'm not telling you what would be good business or not, I'm just telling you that Sony didn't decide to port the show to Xbox and potentially switch without being given a reason to.
Nah my "show your work" was a response to this in particular (which I bolded when I quoted you)

Sounds pretty definitive, so I was asking to see the evidence of this. If you were just speculating (which you were) than just say that, but don't pass it along as fact and ask others to disprove your speculation when questioned on it.
my bad! So much of the post was bolded I didn't realizes you highlighted a part. I went back and not only did I misread your intent but it seems you caught my post before I could edit it down because I'm not actually sure if Sony had exclusive rights to simulation baseball games and I couldn't find any proof of that so I edited it out before I saw you quoted me. I didn't realize you had that bit in your quote! I could be wrong about that part, but yeah obviously the rest of it is just my take on the situation. I don't feel the need to write "in my opinion" after every post though.

my intent was to tell that person that this was not an olive branch and provide another take that is more likely (and if we're being honest with ourselves, definitely) true. I still stand by that take (except for the claps at you which I now feel bad about because you were making a different argument. again my b).

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Because you weigh the pros and cons of any business decision. Things can be done on a case by case basis. Just because they have determined that making The Show Multiplatform is the best business decision doesn't mean that same thing applies to God of War or The Last of Us. Its possible that they view as God Of War or The Last of Us (and other first party efforts) as more valuable as system sellers/exclusive than the Show, whereas MLB would be more valuable as a mechanism to collect MTX money from a larger user base. Despite what you might read on this forum, distinctions like these can exist and can explain why these video game companies make the decisions they do.
Exactly this.

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
Sony being strong-armed to make a game. Lol ok then. It doesn't matter anyways. They're going to make a bunch of money.
All this arm twisting and strong-arming when in reality they bend the knee. Seriously, maybe you don't think the MLB having an ultimatum is the most likely scenario like I do but I'm having a hard time making the jump from that to "fanboy stuff".

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
This. Got people in here thinking that MLB walked into Jim Ryan's office, slapped him, and told him to make The Show multiplatform or we'll cut off a pinkie. Some weird ass fan fiction going on lol.
Or it can be the same argument that is being made about Indiana Jones being multiplat. The decision is more for the license holder than the developer.

Oct 27, 2017
All this arm twisting and strong-arming when in reality they bend the knee. Seriously, maybe you don't think the MLB having an ultimatum is the most likely scenario like I do but I'm having a hard time making the jump from that to "fanboy stuff".
Did Sony "bend the knee" when they explored pc last year?

Business doesn't work this way.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Pretty sure this is the first Sony published game coming to a non-Playstation console since Playstation consoles existed, so I still say that scenario is a major stretch and the "MLB dictated it be multiplat" is more likely.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018

Yet they released Horizon on PC. How does that fit in your argument? Well, it doesn't.

Exclusives are important for the platform, but the platform's fate is not depending on one game.

Its far more likely that the MLB offered them way better conditions for the licence if they put them on other platforms. They would not just increase the number of sales massively, but every copy sold would bring even more money in, the ones sold on PlayStation, too.

You usually don't do business with people that put a gun to your head.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
So a reminder for some. The MLB Deal with Console makers was different than the EA/NFL deal. Sony didn't have some type of exclusive MLB deal, that prevented Microsoft/Nintendo from publishing their own MLB game.

EA's deal with the NFL is an exclusive one.. only they could make NFL games on Consoles. (2K just worked out a deal to release an arcade NFL game though)

MLB's deal with Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo.. was that they can use the license.. but only them. 3rd Party Companies (2K, EA, etc) couldn't publish a MLB game.

Although eventually MLB published their own game (R.B.I).

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Sony didn't have a choice it was part of their new MLB licensing deal.

MLB cares about the money.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure this is the first Sony published game coming to a non-Playstation console since Playstation consoles existed, so I still say that scenario is a major stretch

I don't understand how it being the first time it happened would have any bearing on why its happening. Its still happening. That seems like a pretty weak way to support this scenario.

Like if MLB came to Sony and said "Hey if you guys put this on multiple platforms we'll give you guys a better deal (cheaper licensing cost, reduced royalties, better cut of MTX, whatever) and Sony took it back, did the math, discussed it, and said "Sure we'll do it", is that strong arming? Is that bending the knee? Is this a difficult scenario to envision? Is it possible that "strong arming" and "bending the knee" is not actually how these kinds of business relationships operate?

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I don't understand how it being the first time it happened would have any bearing on why its happening. Its still happening. That seems like a pretty weak way to support this scenario.

Like if MLB came to Sony and said "Hey if you guys put this on multiple platforms we'll give you guys a better deal (cheaper licensing cost, reduced royalties, better cut of MTX, whatever) and Sony took it back, did the math, discussed it, and said "Sure we'll do it", is that strong arming? Is that bending the knee? Is this a difficult scenario to envision? Is it possible that "strong arming" and "bending the knee" is not actually how these kinds of business relationships operate?
Nothing Sony has done recently leads to that conclusion though. I mean, we've seen how hellbent they are on not allowing the other major licensed property they have (Spiderman) to see the light of day on Xbox.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing Sony has done recently leads to that conclusion though. I mean, we've seen how hellbent they are on not allowing the other major licensed property they have (Spiderman) to see the light of day on Xbox.

But its possible they view Spiderman as a license and as a title differently than they do MLB, is it not? Not every move they make has to set a precedent. That seems like a really narrow way to view things in order to reach the conclusion someone wants to believe.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
They released it to a non-competitive platform 3 years later to advertise the Playstation exclusive sequel...

How is PC a non-competitive platform when Sony even said themselves they released PS4 Pro to combat PC?

Also, pretty much everything out there that is fighting for your time is competition. Even Netflix is competition.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
And another reminder that relates to this, from Shawn Layden when he was still in charge.

'We must support the PlayStation platform — that is non-negotiable,' Layden said. 'That said, you will see in the future some titles coming out of my collection of studios which may need to lean into a wider installed base.'

www.playstationlifestyle.net

Shawn Layden Confirms Sony Studios Could Make Multiplatform Games with 'Broader Distribution' - PlayStation LifeStyle

Sony multiplatform games could be possible from in-house Sony studios, says Sony's Shawn Layden. Some titles may require a wider distribution.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the MLB deal was widely different, because 2K dropped out of the MLB/NHL IPs and focused on NBA instead.

EA on the other hand, they just extended their NFL rights.

I will find it funny if the PS5 version is the best one but cross gen and cross plat so we won't see a big jump until a year later.

Oct 27, 2017

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome, more of this shifting exclusives to multiplat, less buying studios (and the resultant weirdo cheerleading that happens here)

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Sony is willing to gift Xbox a multiplat for a bit of extra cash when they're already swimming in record Playstation profits

-Some posters on Era

Viewing the action of putting games on other platforms as a "gift" and not a business decision, and the potential revenue from opening up MTX to the large North American xbox audience only amounts to a "bit of extra cash". Yup that explains so much.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
It's beautiful seeing the PS logo on an Xbox game. I'll probably pick it up at some point on Series X, assuming it gets a quality port (and I have no doubt it will), just due to the curiosity of seeing how a Sony developed game will look and perform on an Xbox.

I'd love to see both companies publish more games across platforms like this. Also, good on Sony for doing this, instead of just grabbing a different license and shifting San Diego studio to a different sport/project.

Let me see that PC version!

This.

Has a PC port been announced? I would love to see this game on a 3080 with Ray Tracing.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Viewing the action of putting games on other platforms as a "gift" and not a business decision, and the potential revenue from opening up MTX to the large North American xbox audience only amounts to a "bit of extra cash". Yup that explains so much.
Don't get me wrong, hopefully you're right and they are dipping their toes into multiplat development for the first time in what, 30 years?, to see if it is more profitable, and maybe this will be the first of many Sony published games on other platforms but I just don't see it.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
It's beautiful seeing the PS logo on an Xbox game. I'll probably pick it up at some point on Series X, assuming it gets a quality port (and I have no doubt it will), just due to the curiosity of seeing how a Sony developed game will look and perform on an Xbox.

I'd love to see both companies publish more games across platforms like this. Also, good on Sony for doing this, instead of just grabbing a different license and shifting San Diego studio to a different sport/project.

Let me see that PC version!

This!

I'd love to see this game on a 3080 with DLSS and Ray Tracing.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Don't get me wrong, hopefully you're right and they are dipping their toes into multiplat development to see if it is more profitable, and maybe this will be the first of many Sony published games on other platforms but I just don't see it.

That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying a world exists where Sony decides MLB is the only game that works for them as a Multiplatform title while the rest of their catalog is better served as a means to get people to buy into the Playstation hardware ecosystem. Like just because they've never done this before, or they aren't doing it with their other titles, doesn't make that an impossibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.